Avatar image for contradictionvg
#1 Edited by ContradictionVG (11 posts) -

Hi - just thought I'd say thank you to Giant Bomb for totally getting my crazy game and for all the nice things people are saying! And the bad things. (Especially the bad things.)

To put it in perspective - the script we all worked from was still called 'demo script' up until almost we started shooting, I always planned to make a cheap demo first, then see what was wrong with it, try and fix it and turn it into a 'proper' game, but filming it and making it was just so much f..ing work I realised early on I'd have to go for it, but with practically no budget I had to ditch a ton of things I wanted in it and relegate them to 'the sequel' - so if I do get to make another one it'll hopefully be a ton better! Still won't take itself seriously though...

So yes it's full of 'quirks' (i.e, enormous bugs) both in the script and God knows in the programming, but I had to teach myself to program to make this (it's a Node-Webkit / Javascript game) so any real programmer would laugh / cry at the coding. But my goal was to make something entertaining and stupid and definitely not taking itself seriously, so thanks Giant Bomb and everyone else for 'getting' that!!

#2 Posted by Pie (7362 posts) -

You've made a pretty cool thing dude

#3 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1811 posts) -

It's given us all so much joy already. I want more Jenks, I want Jenks on tour solving cases like Murder She Wrote.

#4 Posted by rethla (3725 posts) -

Great game, i hope you get to make the sequel you want to make.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
#5 Posted by WalterCrunkFite (618 posts) -

@contradictionvg: Duder, it's much more well made than you're giving it credit for! I echo the earlier comment and thank you for all the joy! :D

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3629 posts) -

Great game

#7 Posted by Dalerax (88 posts) -

I watched all of the videos this site has made for this game and immediately craved more. It is surprisingly addictive! I think you've accomplished something great here and would absolutely love a sequel! I can't wait to buy this game and play it with my fiance.

#8 Posted by Kodo_Beast (147 posts) -

We need more games like this, great work!

#9 Edited by SomeJerk (4077 posts) -

You're awesome and I love the work put into every bit of it so much, it's got a PERFECT amount of CHEESE on its cracker, I can only illustrate it like that.

If I were ITV would seriously trust your team with handling a game-adaptation of Midsomer Murders.

#10 Posted by 456nto (265 posts) -

I'll be very surprised if Contradiction doesn't end up winning multiple awards from Giant Bomb at the end of the year.

The game deserves all of the praise it's been getting - it's been a thoroughly entertaining experience thus far and has totally defied all of my expectations. Hopefully the sequel will come to fruition.

#11 Posted by audioBusting (2558 posts) -

That's very impressive mate. I hope you all get to make that sequel!

#12 Edited by Ares42 (4226 posts) -

Hope the sales are good enough to make a sequel. I did my part at least =)

#13 Posted by Joshakazam (1250 posts) -

Hate to be "that guy", but do we actually have any reason to believe this is the real developer ?

I'd love to applaud the guy for the game and subsequent content of course, just would like to be sure the right person is receiving the praise.

#14 Posted by Mister_V (2434 posts) -

I hope the game does well enough for you to make another. It's a special thing you have created.

#15 Edited by fisk0 (6817 posts) -

@lilman1101 said:

Hate to be "that guy", but do we actually have any reason to believe this is the real developer ?

I'd love to applaud the guy for the game and subsequent content of course, just would like to be sure the right person is receiving the praise.

Hard to say about this thread specifically, but the people behind the game are absolutely aware of Giant Bomb's coverage, several of the actors and the developer/director/composer Tim Follin have tweeted about it. Nothing in the OP seems inconsistent with the other stuff they've posted.

Moderator Online
#16 Posted by AlisterCat (8030 posts) -

Happy you're enjoying the coverage, and it's fairly light hearted around here. As you can probably tell. I bought it and I might play it, but watching it was enough for me to buy it. May buy it for some friends in a sale. We need more of this type of game.

My only criticism would be the interface is horrible. It looks bad, it controls bad, it's inconsistent. Also, the title of the game in my steam Library should just be 'Contradiction' rather than 'Contradiction - the all-video murder mystery adventure'. Most people won't care about this.

#17 Posted by Libb (160 posts) -

Obviously with whatever state of spaghetti-ness the code is in this may be difficult, but any plans for a console release? I think it would be awesome to have this on my PS4 to show to people - definitely has a great cheesy 70s mystery show feel that is as much fun to just watch as it is to play (as GBeast has been demonstrating to great effect).

Also, I definitely agree this is one of the first games in a while that uses FMV that doesn't just feel like "Hey, FMV is dumb, right?" at the audience. Don't get me wrong, the actors definitely know what they're doing (Jenks' facial motions are simultaneously terrible acting and the world's greatest acting ever), but they aren't just using the FMV as a joke or a mere reference to the old-school FMV games - the FMV works hand in hand with the gameplay - a character looking or acting nervous makes it pretty clear there's something up, etc. FMV isn't just a gag or a checkbox - it's a tool to tell the story, no matter how ridiculous it may be at times.

#18 Posted by ContradictionVG (11 posts) -

Yes it's me Tim!! I signed in with the @ContradictionVG twitter account but go to my Facebook page if you want to be sure!!

#19 Edited by ContradictionVG (11 posts) -

To 'explain' the controls - it was all designed for the Amazon TV box, basically - yes that doesn't make any sense I know, but that's where the interface came from and I had to abandon it in the end, but I decided to stick with something that'd work with the controller, and obviously completely failed at it - I should have reverted back to my original PC design which was all point and click, but I was also desperate to release it and just ran out of time with it, so I had to stick with it. However... If anyone has any suggestions for a complete redesign I'll try and do it (though it's probably a bit late now!) - probably the iPad interface is more intuitive!

Libb - I would definitely have to get a 'real' programmer in to do an xbox one or ps4 version and it'd have to be rewritten from scratch, so I doubt it'd be possible unfortunately. Might be worth contacting someone though, give them a big cut of the version they make etc.

#20 Posted by MattyFTM (14883 posts) -

It's not often I buy a game that I have no intention of playing, but I did that with Contradiction. I'm going to watch Vinny, Alex & Austin play through it, so I won't play it myself, but it's one of those cases where I felt like I had to support the developer. The quirkiness and charm of the game is just fantastic.

#21 Posted by Libb (160 posts) -

Libb - I would definitely have to get a 'real' programmer in to do an xbox one or ps4 version and it'd have to be rewritten from scratch, so I doubt it'd be possible unfortunately. Might be worth contacting someone though, give them a big cut of the version they make etc.

Time to put out the #BuildingTheList signal to Gio Corsi.

#22 Posted by ContradictionVG (11 posts) -

Thank you MattyFTM And Pie and WalkerTR77 and rethla and GregoryGold and everybody else - it's very much appreciated! Especially after that hearty slagging it got on www.rockpapershotgun.com!

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
#23 Edited by Anonymous_Jesse (286 posts) -

I'm loving watching the guys play this so I think you made a great game.

#24 Posted by A_E_Martin (615 posts) -

Great work! I hope you get to make that sequel!

#25 Edited by CorporalGregg (193 posts) -

Having grown up on adventure games and a lot of 90s FMV games this was a real surprising gem. It reminded me in a lot of ways of the Tex Murphy games and I was more than happy to buy it after seeing the initial Quick Look. I've probably bought more games I had never heard of because of Vinny. Vinny has the best taste.

I didn't mind the interface after I got used to it, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes it's nice to play an entire game with just the keyboard!

#26 Posted by poisonmonkey (472 posts) -

I purchased this wonder on iPad to support the dev and actors who have brought it such charm, I will watch the playthrough then play it too. Great job guys.

#27 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4323 posts) -

It's been a while since I've seen a video on the site that has actually made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Thank you for the game you made!

#28 Posted by DaddyCabinet (350 posts) -

This fucking game is so great! Thanks for making it!

#29 Posted by Morello (123 posts) -

Really enjoyed the game, and Vinny was always going to lap this up - any well-made quirky FMV game is going to get a lot of love here. I wouldn't worry about RPS's Wot I Think - for all the good things that RPS do, John has some strange opinions sometimes. Now start working on that sequel!

#30 Edited by uberTaco (17 posts) -
@contradictionvg said:

So yes it's full of 'quirks' (i.e, enormous bugs) both in the script and God knows in the programming, but I had to teach myself to program to make this (it's a Node-Webkit / Javascript game) so any real programmer would laugh / cry at the coding. But my goal was to make something entertaining and stupid and definitely not taking itself seriously, so thanks Giant Bomb and everyone else for 'getting' that!!

1.) As a dev, I wouldn't've thought to use NW for something like this, but it makes perfect sense. I do wonder how you structured the dialog trees, but that's probably more because I'm not a game dev.

2.) Since it's just Node-Webkit, is there anything in particular holding it back from a Linux release? I know this kinda makes me "that guy", but more audience is generally a good thing.

3.) Awesome response here. I was a little worried that if we heard from the dev it'd be a lot of "WELL YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ART" or something, instead of "yeah, it's friggin' hilarious, right?" You're alright.

#31 Posted by MezZa (3036 posts) -

Just stopping by to say that the game is awesome! Good work duder

#32 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2530 posts) -

Watching the GBEast crew play this game and absolutely enjoying every second of it I too bought a copy to help support you. Here's for a sequel!

#33 Posted by afabs515 (2005 posts) -

Duder, this game is amazing! Once I set up my computer I'm definitely going to buy a copy to support you and follow this crazy game to the end. Thanks for all the good times!

#34 Posted by ContradictionVG (11 posts) -

Thank you again all you nice people here!!

uberTaco - I'm struggling with the Linux version because I need to install a fresh copy onto a PC to do it, I've tried running from a USB stick but the permissions are all screwed up so it doesn't work - theoretically it should be easy, I just need to get a laptop I can format and install it on, which I haven't got at the mo - penniless devs, can't even afford an old laptop... :) I'm trying to get it sorted though.

#35 Posted by Bollard (8109 posts) -

Please make a sequel.

#36 Posted by OMGFather (998 posts) -

Thank you so much for making this game, I'm just glad to be apart of it all. Bought the game on Steam, going through it slowly - it's just more fun watching the crew play through it together

#37 Posted by AMyggen (7738 posts) -

Just want to say that for all the quirks, your game has a legitimately compelling story. I'm playing through it now and watching the playthrough, and it really is something else. I wouldn't believe anyone if they told me that two of my favourite games this year would be FMV games (the other being Her Story), but here we are!

#38 Posted by richied0 (168 posts) -

Hoping you make enough money to fund a sequel. I got it on iPad and went through it in two sittings. Definitely interested to see where you go with this. Also is that Smash Bros poll still going? We need to get Jenks in!

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
#39 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (856 posts) -

I love silly old school FMV games so this is great blast from the past. Thank you for making this game!

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
#40 Posted by planetfunksquad (1543 posts) -

Especially after that hearty slagging it got on www.rockpapershotgun.com!

Eh, I wouldn't worry about what RPS has to say. If they reviewed movies they would have been the kind of site to absolutely maul The Room when it was released but then change their tune after they found out everyone else liked it. :)

Now if you want it reviewed by someone who will get it then you should do everything in your power to put it in front of Justin McElroy over at Polygon. Dude loves FMV games and would almost definitely be in to it.

#41 Posted by MonsoonMox (10 posts) -

@contradictionvg: Got this for iPad immediately after watching the coverage here. So much fun, thanks for making it!

#42 Posted by glitches (79 posts) -

From what we've seen on GB, quirks aside you've got a very nice looking game and actors who really sell it. Sure it's campy sometimes, but it's way more fun to watch the great reactions than something delivered seriously and drab. You've got a good group of people, and it's a lot of fun to see this unfolding.

\m/

#43 Posted by TheBlue (1034 posts) -

I just want to say thanks for creating something so awesome and entertaining! I think most of us here went into the Quick Look thinking it was going to be just another crappy, poorly acted, easy to make fun of FMV game, but I, much like the Giantbomb crew, was enamored with it by the end. I love that you guys embrace the silliness and the camp.

Even if the game doesn't make as much as you'd like, I hope you know that you brought a lot of joy and laughter to a number of people. :)

#44 Posted by goonage (185 posts) -

Watching the QL of this game has been very entertaining. I really hope you get to make that sequel you were talking about !

#45 Edited by teekomeeko (791 posts) -

I just bought this with no intention of playing it since I'll just watch GB play it. That coverage alone is worth $10, a fraction of the price I'd pay for enough movies to cover that amount of entertainment, and with a stronger chance of being not even remotely as entertained by the films. I want this Tim Follin fella to have my support, for sure.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
#46 Posted by WalterCrunkFite (618 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#47 Posted by qrdl (440 posts) -

Ah, so Vinny's first guess about the interface was right, interesting.

I read the RPS review before the QuickLook was posted and it made me fairly guarded before watching. The the first couple of minutes seemed to support John Walker's appraisal, but it took the game less than half an hour to win me over. The puzzle design worked and it was obvious that the tone of the perfomances was entirely intentional.

I wrote a paragraph about RPS for this post, but it read too bitter so I deleted it (a usual story with me). I'll focus on the postives: they seem to be great at choosing worthy stuff for coverage in the news and "Have You Played" sections and their editorials are usually quite interesting. I find Alice O'Connor to be extremely witty, I bet she would love Contradiction. Sadly, she doesn't do "Wot I Think"s.

Well, maybe on small personal attack: John Walker put his name on a list of 50 best puzzle games which featured neither Braid nor Fez. Nuff said :) Dimwit, I say!

#48 Posted by johnnymcginley (512 posts) -

Hey man, totally dig the game (un-ironically).

How much Midsomer Murders have you watched? I love the vibe and playing up to that kind of thing.

Contradiction 2 should be influenced by Taggart!

#49 Posted by thepullquotes (274 posts) -

Hey man, totally dig the game (un-ironically).

How much Midsomer Murders have you watched? I love the vibe and playing up to that kind of thing.

Contradiction 2 should be influenced by Taggart!

CHIEF: Taggart, I need you to investigate this murder.

TAGGART:Theres been a Mordargh!

#50 Posted by qrdl (440 posts) -

I would love it if somebody managed to come up with a murder scenario similar to the one from the second episode of Jonathan Creek. An answer which stares you in the face for an hour and still barely anybody manages to unravel it before the end. Of cource it's almost impossible to do in a videogame, because you would have to drasticly yet gently limit the amount of time the player has to view the scene of the crime without creating a suspicion that a quick glance at a particular detail is all he/she really needs. Then you would have to magically coax the players brain to make this investigative leap which would have been much easier before all the interviews and false leads.

Actually, the first series of JC had several great puzzles like that.