Control Next-Gen Upgrade Only With Ultimate Edition

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hatking

Control is easily in my top ten games of the generation. Remedy is one of my favorite studios of all time. I buy their games when they come out because I am eager to experience them. So it feels pretty grimy that the next-gen upgrade is only available through buying the Ultimate Edition of the game, which includes the base game and all DLC.

No Caption Provided

I think it makes sense to bundle a game with all of its DLC and updates to sell as one package. It just seems a little odd to exclude the folks who bet on you early by packing something they can't get in there. This seems like a bad move and I expect it'll either be walked back--I could see them throwing a $10 price tag on the upgrade for non-Ultimate Edition players--or, I could see this become the next weird trend in games. An expectation that player purchase their cross-generation games again if they'd like to see the upgrade. I guess that's what has always been required before, but you'd think as technology allows a smoother transition, developers and publishers would embrace it.

Via controlgame.com.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

That really sucks. Not proud at all of Remedy on this one, although I bet it's more of a publisher decision than a developer one.

I haven't bought or played the DLC yet, so I might consider waiting until the end of the year to pick up this Ultimate Edition and play it on the new consoles. It'll just feel really silly buying the same game twice on the same platform. Hopefully progression carries over at least.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

This sucks! That's really all I have to say about this. It makes no sense to do it this way. Wonder if they will backtrack this within the next week or so. It's so crappy.

Avatar image for deactivated-647f76b346730
deactivated-647f76b346730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very bummed out on this. I have the game and the season pass and can't see a situation where I want to rebuy it just for an upgrade.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Considering that the PS5 and Xbox Series X next generation updates are opt in, under the discretion of the publisher, I’m expecting a lot of them to opt out. I’m anticipate more publishers will go this route of not offering a new console update unless you buy the more premium version of their software.

I purposely held off buying Control because I heard it runs poorly on current consoles but I almost bought it during the PSN Summer Sale, assuming it would get an update on PS5.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this a publisher decision or a developer decision???

I love Control. It's easily one of the best games I played all year. I'd happily pay a small, separate fee for the PS5 upgrade vs. rebuying the entire deluxe edition again.

If Remedy were the size and profitability of CDPR or another publisher with money to burn, I'd be a little honked it wasn't free. But Remedy ISN'T as hog-nasty rich as CDPR, and I want Remedy to continue making great games, so I'd be happy to pay a small fee for a PS5 upgrade.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I've been house shopping and thinking about going back to consoles from PC so that I can set up a home theater someday and go back to enjoying games from the comfort of a couch. But generational cut-offs like this will probably keep me sitting at my desk with a PC forever...

The consoles are all running standard x86 by this point, right? So we can generally assume that losing access to games between console generations is a choice rather than a technical restriction?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Nodima

I’m sorry but that’s an incredibly stupid distinction and I really don’t see what separates this from the Deluxe Edition, which also “came with” both DLC add-ons and all the updates, other than I bought the game when it came out because I was excited about it.

The silliest part is that a quick reading of the room would show this game has a pretty avid fan base and if anything you want to keep evangelizing those people, not aggravating them.

Edit: Additionally, if any game were tailor made to show off what these new consoles offer over their predecessors it's this one. A lot of other "showcase" games may appear incremental based on whatever television technology people own, but the emphasis on ray tracing in this game made its PC version clearly, significantly different looking from its console sisters, and given these manufacturers both seem uninterested in a first party game built specifically to showcase that technology, it would've made a hell of a lot of sense for both of them to incentivize 505 Games to make Control available to as many players as possible with as low a burden of entry as possible - say, PS+ and Game Pass.

Oh well!

serryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This decision surprised me.

I'm fine with the usual tradeoff between "play first/pay more" & "play later/pay less"; GOTY editions are always a better value if you're willing to wait, etc. However, it's odd that they're giving exclusive benefits to the late adopters here. It's especially odd, since they heavily promoting the "AWE" expansion that drops on the 27th, which is the same day the "Ultimate Edition" goes up on Steam.

I nearly bought the season pass on Xbox One this past weekend, because I'm looking forward to that expansion. Of course a $24.99 season pass is still cheaper than (what I assume will be) a full-price new edition, but I'd have been very ticked off if I had spent that money.

I'm now planning to trade in my physical copy towards this new edition instead of buying the season pass. I feel lucky I waited, but it's weird that they're rewarding me for that, lol.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yah this is a real shitty decision. Just let people who already bought your game get the upgrade without jumping through edition hoops. I got this game on PC so I really have no skin in the game but it's just negative publicity.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers said:

The consoles are all running standard x86 by this point, right? So we can generally assume that losing access to games between console generations is a choice rather than a technical restriction?

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that the already purchased copies of Control will run on the PS5 and Xbox Series. People will just have to play them without upgraded visuals.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just spent $20 or whatever it was a month and a half ago when the DLC came out on Xbox. Now you're going to sell me it again, with the entire game, and a next gen upgrade for just $20 more than what I payed 6 weeks ago? That's real shitty.

Spectral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks but its not really unexpected publishers would do stuff like this. The whole free upgrade thing has never really been a thing in prior generations and I imagine every publisher other than MS think it's a terrible idea but have felt pressured into it.

Aires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aires

It is such a weird decision, especially given how rough the current gen versions of Control seemed to run.

What is also strange is that they don’t seem to be offering a way forward? Like, even something as a 10 dollar charge for the transition would be more sensible than no path at all.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the base game and the DLC on Ps4 (which I have yet to play) and this news is a huge bummer. I have no problem paying for an upgrade path for next gen updates. but locking your existing userbase out of an upgrade path is terrible. I am certainly not buying a duplicate version of a game and this frankly sours me on Control all together. Good job 505 and Remedy.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hatking

@aires: There is some language on their website that seems to imply that they are looking for a way for early adopters to get the upgrade. My guess is that this is a little more complicated than we're assuming. I bet they have to get a game certified for the new platform, and since this ultimate edition will be a new "SKU" it can get certification now, and it'd cost more to get the original version certified now? Total guess, but as a person who has worked with console certification before it wouldn't surprise me if it's to blame. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up selling an "upgrade pass" or something. Still not a good look. Maybe they'll cave and 505 will bite the bullet to make the upgrade free for everybody.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I was going to post on the recent thread I bumped about the DLC, but I'll do it here. I finished the DLC, it was okay. I was really hoping that it'd be an enhanced patch for everyone that already has it, so that sucks. I definitely don't want to buy it again. Once it comes out on next-gen, all I wanted to do was look at how updated the visuals were and then move on. I'll have already experienced everything there was to experience in Control up to that point, by the time it releases on next-gen. Something I am actually excited about for next-gen is getting to play previous-gen titles in updated ways, so this is just bad. I finished up the DLC last night and I was thinking 'Hmm, I'm interested to see what the game will look like on next-gen.' Now though, not so much.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be interesting to see though if the frame rate drops would "automatically" be fixed on the next gen consoles, even for those people who don't buy the Ultimate Edition. My assumption would be that frame rate issues are a result of the game hitting the limits of the existing hardware, which should be alleviated with more GPU, CPU and RAM capacity.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers: ... No one is going to break into your house and best you if you play your PC games on a TV while sitting on a couch, you know!

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:
@nnickers said:

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that the already purchased copies of Control will run on the PS5 and Xbox Series. People will just have to play them without upgraded visuals.

Good point, thanks! I worded that poorly and hadn't meant to be misleading.

@nnickers: ... No one is going to break into your house and best you if you play your PC games on a TV while sitting on a couch, you know!

Very true and I've lugged my tower out to our current living room before just to try it out. Works fine for myself alone but then I imagine trying to teach little kids to use a mouse and keyboard, to use Windows, to find games across various launchers and emulators, and to do it all without breaking things in the million ways that a single misclick on a PC can.

I was able to jam Qix into a Gameboy long before I could find Solitaire on the family PC, you know?

Aires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@glots: Im seeing people say it was an error and that it has been fixed now, don't have the game to confirm.

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ok it seems control ultimate edition is going to one of the games for free February PS plus games as such I have now canceled my order with amazon as it’s out on disc in March but I will have all ready played it on PS plus on my PS5.

It’s odd they undercut there PS5 sales so much.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hatking

@shades846: It's a very good get that they put the Ultimate Edition on there, seeing as how that's the one that'll see the upgrade. Gamepass only has the base version of the game, which runs better on their new hardware, but won't see the "next gen" upgrade.

Honestly, this is a fucking mess and got completely buried under the sixteen subsequent game industry messes that shortly followed it last year. There's still no upgrade path short of repurchasing the same game and DLC for the folks who already bought in. Their bet that this would eventually be forgotten and become a non-issue was totally right.

dantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shades846: Man, as someone who rebought the damn Ultimate Edition in November in prep for the PS5 update (As was just looking for things to play on my PS5 at the time), which then got delayed. Now it's finally coming out, and they give it away for "free"... This just feels like a huge slap on the face.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By whitegreyblack

@shades846 said:

It’s odd they undercut there PS5 sales so much.

I'm purely speculating here; but it seems more like Sony's latest move in the "hearts and minds" war... which, unfortunately, as @dantez points out can still end up being seen as a slap in the face to those who already bought the Ultimate Edition

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By theonewhoplays

Kind of annoyed since I had the game on disc and sold it so I could buy the Ultimate Edition digitally. At least I bought it on sale and I didn't buy the DLC piecemeal, so not a huge deal for me.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oof, you can't transfer your regular save to the ultimate edition? Guess I'll have to replay the entire game again, but still...

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oof, you can't transfer your regular save to the ultimate edition? Guess I'll have to replay the entire game again, but still...

Not exactly. While the saves aren't directly compatible from base version of Control to the PS5/XBSX version of Control: UE, the saves are compatible with the PS4/XBO versions of Control: UE, which in turn are compatible with the next gen versions. I take this to mean, if you load your base Control save on a PS4/XBO version of Control: UE, resave it, then load up Control: UE on PS5/XBSX, you'll be good. No idea why this is built like this.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By permanentsigh

(Clarification: the next-gen upgrade will stop you from using your last-gen saves)

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@permanentsigh: Weird. I guess I already beat the game, so if I were to buy a next gen copy it would be with the intention of playing it over again. Bummer for the folks who will be like halfway through the game when the next gen version launches.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a bummer, but I can see myself buying it again if they add something to the base game content that justifies it. Like, modified/tweaked encounters, etc.

serryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By serryl

Wow!

I specifically bought the Ultimate Edition and held off on playing the expansions so I could continue my playthrough on the current-gen versions when they came out. Of course, it was my decision to buy the game early, but geez!

How on Earth did 505 Games drop two press releases about this (here & here) without mentioning that the current-gen versions wouldn't have cross-save support, requiring players to start over from scratch to get that sweet raytraced lighting?

And that doesn't even address the whole "actually....we're giving it away on PS5" thing. (I know subscription games aren't free, but you get my point.)

Either 505 Games or their parent company must be desperate for cash to treat Remedy and fans of the game like this.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that sucks. I guess you can't play the DLC without completing the main game first? I have a completed save but no intention to play through all of it again just to get to the DLC. I'll probably try to as ask for a refund if this is the case.