How is the game now?

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi all,

I was wondering what the current state of Control is on consoles? I am interested in the game, however when the game came out I heard the frame rate was pretty poor on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Is this still the case? I do not have the higher level machines, so it would either be on Xbox One or PlayStation 4 that I would like to know about.

Thank you.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

I played it on the base PS4 recently and while I loved it, I can not in good conscience recommend it. The frame rate nose dives on about 90% of the beginning of every combat. It gets better as you eliminate some of the enemies off the map but it’s just not a good way to experience such a fantastic game. I have a high tolerance for bad performances. I doubt it’s anywhere near acceptable for most ppl.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3 FinalDasa  Moderator

Just started up on a launch Xbox. There's some slight hitching and sudden texture pop in, but nothing that truly tanks the experience. If you're used to console games you might not notice it much. There are also some slightly long load times, but again they aren't horrendous or horrifying. Overall it's totally playable imo.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: @liquiddragon:

Thank you both. I ended up picking up the game on Xbox One. I was prepared to wait longer but the game was on sale in a Black Friday weekend deal at a store I had vouchers for so I just went for it.

Thanks for the responses both of you.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Launch Xbox One X ran great, aside from some stuttering after a pause.

Hope you dig it. It’s probably my GOTY at this point.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I was in this spot. There wasn't any sale on the PC version and I'm not a fan of the Epic exclusivity deal either so I ended up getting it cheap on regular PS4... I know that's the worst version it seems but I know it was patched and improved and I think with the sale price I got below 30 dollars I'll be fine.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I played it on PS4 Pro at launch and never had any major dramas with it. Stuttering after a pause menu was the only issue I encountered but nothing in terms of general gameplay - maybe one sequence I think got sort of sluggish from my recollection.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter said:

Launch Xbox One X ran great, aside from some stuttering after a pause.

Hope you dig it. It’s probably my GOTY at this point.

This was my exact experience on the One X. It ran totally fine no matter how many enemies were on screen, but any time I came back from any kind of pause it was stuttery as hell. Not a deal breaker by any means.

The base machine experience sounds...terrible? Especially the PS4, yikes.

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sethmode: This is my exact experience also, not problematic in any capacity other than a couple of times where I paused mid combat and even then it was a minor inconvenience at worst.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Little hitchy here and there but its overall fine on ps4 pro

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By haneybd87

@sethmode: They must have patched performance then. When I played it on XB1X after launch any time there were a large amount of enemies it turned into a stuttery mess. Certain rooms were bad too, like the mail room was always a bad frame rate even without enemies.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it on release day, finished it within 3 sittings and had only one problem the whole time playing it (Went to the pause menu and as i came out the game froze for maybe 2-3 seconds). I was playing on a PS4 pro if that helps, I'm actually gutted people are having problems with it as it's my game of the year.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haneybd87: Weird. My One X experience day one was flawless, performance-wise (aside from the often cited pause-framerate drop.

I know Digital Foundry noticed all sorts of issue with Fallen Order based on free disk, external drives, etc. Maybe there were similar issues with some set-ups for Control.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twiggy199: Pretty sure it’s my GOTY, too.

It is a bummer that it runs so poorly on base models. With the way generations and hardware are going, I think it’s pretty important to make software more scalable, so you can at least get a solid 30fps across platforms.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Well I did the least efficient thing.

I got 3 hours or so into Control on my base PS4 was loving the game but the performance really sucks bad. Texture pop in was really bad on a lot of images (things like pictures on walls) and the framerate took a big dive any time there were enemies on screen and I was using the throw power.... which is well part of the game. Once I threw something at an enemy that exploded and the framerate was so bad after I couldn't really make out anything satisfying of them ragdolling away and the environment blasting apart I said enough was enough.

I just bought it on PC. Full price but I was liking it enough to say whatever and I haven't spent much on games this year. At least I got the game via Gamestop on a gift card that I really have hardly any other use for. I am already selling the game used to get some back too so whatever.

So far making the switch the performance makes such a big difference with the combat being really satisfying to handle and watch the spectacle of effects and physics that go along with it. I do not even have a very good PC or anything but it's a big step up.

Even as a PC gamer I'm not usually so down on a console version but on base PS4 I really have to say stay away from this one. Play it when you can afford to have it run better because the game deserves it and some of the more satisfying parts of the game are lost on you. Also the fact that this was patched must mean the original release on PS4 was truly shit. I don't mean to trash anyone involved but it's just the reality of the player experience, especially if you get to see each version head to head like I have.