It's so good, man.
Crash 2 is one of my favorite 3D platformers, if not the favorite. I always preferred it to 3 because Warped had a bunch of gimmicky levels. I guess they thought 2 peaked on platforming and they'd have to add variety to spice things up, but I always preferred the linear platforming challenges perfected in 2.
Here comes 4. A 4 can have mixed results. Would this be like Sonic 4? Heck no, it's like Sonic Mania. Here's why this is already making my top 10 list:
- It feels super smooth, partially because of 60fps and partially because they nailed the physics (unlike the small changes in the remakes).
- The level design is rock solid. It's challenging and well-paced, and I haven't had a cheap death yet. It's skill-based in a way that modern 3D platformers really aren't anymore.
- The "gimmicks" this time aren't half-assed segments with awful controls. They're masks that change up the levels by giving you a cool ability that allows for entirely new challenges.
- The aesthetic is great, with some killer art and imaginative environments.
- There's a ton to do! You have the regular gem and box stuff, and way more levels. You still have the time trial relics. You have flashback challenge rooms. The ability to replay mirrored levels with crazy new art.
I'm loving the game so far and have plenty more to discover. I was worried that a simple Crash game with 25 straightforward levels wouldn't make sense for a modern audience. But then they went and absolutely nailed it while expanding it in ways that I didn't expect. It's the best platformer I've played since Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair.
Anyone else having a great time?