GBE Playdate of this coming up?!

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

This game is one of my all time favourites, I haven't got a clue how it will translate into a stream, although I see Austin has done a let's play of it in the past.

Glad to see Austin's influence meaning stuff like this getting more attention, since Dave left there hasn't really been a strategy game person on the team.

phrosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By phrosen

You can totally turn CK2 into an entertaining stream, even for the uninitiated. It's just really quick to attach you to your character and get involved in tiny little stories you might find interesting, as previously proven by the Idlethumbs crew. Also yo, if you want to watch 17 hours of CK2, you can hardly do better than with the exploits of Count Ragnar.

Iridule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Iridule

Great! The original quick look got me into this game. Would be good to see them dabble with the Game of Thrones or Witcher mods.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am interested in watching this as although I own the game I am unable to play it.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@phrosen said:

You can totally turn CK2 into an entertaining stream, even for the uninitiated. It's just really quick to attach you to your character and get involved in tiny little stories you might find interesting, as previously proven by the Idlethumbs crew. Also yo, if you want to watch 17 hours of CK2, you can hardly do better than with the exploits of Count Ragnar.

Yeah, watching those guys play through it was good times.

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing about CKII is that while it may seem intimidating at first glance, you can easily ignore about 75% of the screens and info charts and play it just fine. Most of that stuff takes care of itself anyhow and its only there if you want to get real hands on and tweak things yourself. Learn how succession works, learn to mobilize an army and just go nuts doing whatever crazy medieval business you want to get up to.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

YES! Finally! My favorite game.

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:
@phrosen said:

Yeah, watching those guys play through it was good times.

RIP Ragnar.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

oh god I haven't thought about this game in forever, too much FM, which I really want to see one of them play one day.

it'd be hilariously awful

hsghsghsg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super excited about this. I love Crusader Kings II.

TotalHell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my God I am so excited about this. I love CK2, and something like this on GB (especially with the Beast crew) is absolutely perfect.

tnecniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paradox games are fantastic. Just the perfect breeding ground for nonsense.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i Really like total war games but CK just isn't my thing for some odd reason i am probably playing it wrong. Cant wait for Gbeast to play this middle ages breeding simulator.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

Crusader Kings II is so good, but it's definitely not for everyone. I was so excited when I heard that GBeast was doing this! Especially with @austin on board now, he seems like he would absolutely love the intricacies and depth of this kind of game so I can't wait to hear what the commentary is going to be like. For people who might be interested in this game and that don't own it yet, it goes on sale quite regularly for 75-80% off and has shown up in various bundles as well. I ended up getting a good deal on a huge Paradox bundle sometime last year that isn't even sold anymore that included Crusader Kings 1 & 2 plus all the DLC, Europa Universalis IV with all DLC, Hearts of Iron 1 & 2, Magicka, and a bunch of other games for less than the regular cost of CKII on Steam.

If you get interested in this game, it's well worth waiting for a sale or a bundle to pick it up. So fun though, and if you end up getting wrapped up in Crusader Kings, chances are you may also end up loving Europa Universalis IV. Crusader Kings is running a family - EUIV is running a nation. It goes deeper than that, but that's about the gist of it.

Oh...and it has multiplayer, guys. If this gains a following in the Giant Bomb community, it may be a good idea to organize a CK2 multiplayer hub on the forums somewhere to help people find others to play with. I haven't played in awhile, so I'll probably be starting a game over from scratch to play along with GBeast and all the new people that are sure to be jumping in.

Exciting times! Thanks for doing this @austin, @vinny, and @alex! I've been really itching for some kind of different content and you guys really nailed it choosing this one.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait until this all comes full circle and Austin plays Dwarf Fortress. Dave would be proud.

CK2 has hardly any learning curve. I hope Austin doesn't play as some crappy count in Ireland like every other CK2 beginner, because those games are boring.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should get ready by buying Crusader Kings II

[checks Steam library]

oh I already did at some point, that sounds right

SaltyCatfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played much of this game but it's ripe for all sorts of hilarious historical shenanigans. This is going to be AMAZING.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I should get ready by buying Crusader Kings II

[checks Steam library]

oh I already did at some point, that sounds right

No Caption Provided

...at least you didn't buy all the DLC and then never play it...

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

I love crusader kings but I only play it once a month its too much of time sink.

But I would love to see Vinny play this live and maybe try some of the mods for some extra entertainment.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

CK2 and Europa Universalis are some of my favorite games ever, I can't wait to see Vinny mess around with them.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@infamousbig: I'm still buying all the DLC without ever playing it. I think I'm just waiting until they're done adding to the game to play a "complete" version of it. I really want to see Vinny get his hands on it properly.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 11 minutes playtime recorded. I got to the tutorial but was just blown away, which I should have expected and was warned that there's a lot packed in there.

Hopefully they try and explain the game to idiots like me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By mike

@eccentrix said:

@infamousbig: I'm still buying all the DLC without ever playing it. I think I'm just waiting until they're done adding to the game to play a "complete" version of it. I really want to see Vinny get his hands on it properly.

This game has a ton of DLC already. I'm not sure how necessary any of it is to have a "complete" experience, though. Some of the larger packs are on the order of expansions, adding huge areas to the map (such as India).

No Caption Provided

@omgfather

I think Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV are much easier learned by watching someone play the game rather than actually playing it one's self and trying to figure it out from the beginning. That is especially true if you're not used to these types of Grand Strategy games, and Paradox games in particular. I recommend finding some Let's Plays or tutorials on YouTube and starting there rather than just jumping right into the game blind.

Dave, Vinny, Brad, and Drew did a Quick Look of CKII a few years ago, it's definitely worth watching at least as a primer.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I haven't played CK2 in forever. After I got the S.P.Q.R achievement I really burned out and haven't touched it since, opting instead for the greener pastures of EU4.

I kind of wish they'd play EU4 instead as it's far easier to get yourself into hot water faster, and watching Vinny pick France, immediately declare war, take all the land, and then find the rest of Europe united against him in the span of 10 minutes would be hilarious. CK2 is more of a slow burn: you need a valid reason to declare war (in EU4 you can just say "Fuck it" and fight anyone you want), and it's harder to keep a realm together (fucking inheritance rules), although it leads to even more hilarity:

This all makes sense in context, I swear.
This all makes sense in context, I swear.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'm hoping this can help me "get" CKII more than I did on my first attempt at playing it. I probably put 10 or so hours with me, but it never really clicked.

Later on, I got wayyyyyyyyyy deep into EU4. Its hooks are still deep in me with no end in sight. Maybe this stream will give the same result with CKII.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I've messed around with Crusader Kings long enough to know I had no idea what I was doing. Watching someone who actually knows what they're doing sounds way better than me fumbling around.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CKII has tons of dlc There are roughly 3 types: Expansions, Cosmetic and Other.

Expansions: this is the most essential ones they add content such as new events, playable religions*, time periods and map expansions. They wary in size and scope but they are also optional. You can have a hundreds hours of fun with the base game playing as a German duke. In my opinion does the games mechanics also works best when simulating the politics of feudal Europe as opposed to India or steppe tribes.

Here's table of the expansions in order of release and what they add.

Sword of IslamPlayable Muslims
Legacy of RomeEvents for Byzantium
Sunset InvasionAztec invasion event
The RepublicPlayable republics
The Old GodsPlayable pagans / Extended time line
Sons of AbrahamPlayable Jews
Rajas of IndiaPlayable Hindus, Buddhists and Janis / Indian subcontinent
Charlemagne,Further extended time line
Way of LifeBucket load of events
Horse Lords.Steppe tribe mechanics / Asia

Cosmetic: these are your Dota hats equivalents, unit models and portraits packs and extra music. They are completely optional but add flavour and the music is generally quite good.

Other: these are nice things that can enhance the game but also optional: Ruler Designer create a custom starting ruler. Dynasty Shields more stuff for the Ruler Designer. Customization Pack an in game barbershop lets you change your rulers hair and Europa Universalis IV Converter a save converter to EUIV.

*(as default can you only play Christians)

beef_melody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw the playdate in the upcoming list and fistpumped. The potential for delicious carnage is very high.

redking56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By redking56

Khaganate of Khazaria or riot!

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet Vinny makes them play as a Sicilian and then someone makes a Princess Bride joke.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Didn't Dave play this at one point in the past and no one knew what was going on?

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yeah, there was a Quick Look around the first couple of weeks of release. Over 3 years ago!

Only vaguely related but oh wow Horse Lords changes things up quite a lot, to the point where I have no idea what I am doing. (But only for the nomadic people, obviously, nothing changes for Charlemagne.)

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@456nto: Austin isn't a beginner with CK2, and is seriously enough into strategy games that he has been on Three Moves Ahead and apparently plays insanely hardcore stuff like Distant Worlds.

I assume he'll be teaching Vinny how to play. Which is perfect.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I hope they give it a fair shake, one of the best games of recent years. I've put 100+ hours into it and want to spend plenty more.

figurehead00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love that, and hopefully it would help me wrap my head around it. The stories that come out of this game are incredible, and I've always wanted to get into it, but this is one of those games I'm afraid I'm just to dumb to play.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have 120 hours in this and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Nowhere near as impenetrable as I find the other Paradox strategy games.

My GOTY of 2012, for sure.

AdventFalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

@Mike: If you want an abridged version of 'what DLC must I absolutely have', then you can go down to just 6 pieces:

• Sword of Islam: You can play as Muslims now!
  • Legacy of Rome: The Byzantine Empire has stuff now! Also you can have a standing army.
  • The Republic: You can play as Republics!
  • The Old Gods: You can play as non-Abrahamic religions! Also a new start date where you can royally fuck shit up as the Norse.
  • Sons of Abraham: You can play as Jews! Also some cool stuff for Abrahamic religions.
  • Rajas of India: You can play as Indian religions!

The rest of the content expansions should be bought if you like the game.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deerokus

@adventfalls: I'd cut even that down, some of those are only needed if you want to play in those areas specifically and for many players that doesn't matter much. Especially new players. I don't have any interest in playing in India for example. On the other hand, Way of Life is a nice small add on which improves flavour a bit.

I'd say Legacy of Rome, Old Gods, Way of Life and Abraham are the basic 'must buy' DLCs. I enjoy playing as a Republic but it's kind of amusingly easy. Never really got into playing as a Muslim character.

Avatar image for deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc
deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guy's Guy's great idea. CKII meets VIVA PINATA!

BaconyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BaconyBacon

That was such an enjoyable playdate with the Beast guys I just had to reinstall and play again. What a time sink, especially since I tend to micro-manage too much. I'm a little mad at Austin, it's all his fault. Oh, I'd recommend the create a ruler dlc (5 bucks, maybe way to much). Then find the mod on the steam workshop that allows you to create an awesome starter character without as many age penalties. (The DLC creator penalizes you for giving your ruler too many good stats)