• 78 results
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
#51 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1647 posts) -

The thing I LOVE is that they basically stuck fully to classic Cyberpunk. There is something special about the original 80's version it was borne of. Yes, you can evolve the ideas in smart ways but I think the classic, hard wired, new wave fashioned, cold war paranoia version just can't be touched. I have hated modern versions like the awful piss filter poofy collared Deus Ex games.

#52 Posted by Wandrecanada (1010 posts) -

The author of Neuromancer William Gibson had this to say about the trailer. But who cares what he has to say.

I was honestly disappointed that we saw nothing of the original razor girl narrative story and got this weird slice of nothing in particular. I feel like I know less about the world than I did before. While I disagree with the GTA reference (it seemed more substantial than GTA) I have to admit there was ultimately very little story substance and more a demonstration that this is a mashup of all the recent cyberpunk IPs from the past decade.

#53 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1647 posts) -

@wandrecanada said:
@meierthered said:

The author of Neuromancer William Gibson had this to say about the trailer. But who cares what he has to say.

I was honestly disappointed that we saw nothing of the original razor girl narrative story and got this weird slice of nothing in particular. I feel like I know less about the world than I did before. While I disagree with the GTA reference (it seemed more substantial than GTA) I have to admit there was ultimately very little story substance and more a demonstration that this is a mashup of all the recent cyberpunk IPs from the past decade.

a mash up of recent cyberpunk IPs... you realize what IP this is based on right? One of the very originals from the 80s. And it's sticking to the original RPGs style, nothing like recent Cyberpunk games that have all basically been modernized, with wireless tech and things.

It was also a small trailer meant to show the world, not story. The game is supposed to have a character creator so it wasn't even showing off a character or anything from what I know. Purely atmosphere and style.

#54 Posted by Luchalma (537 posts) -

This was by far the coolest thing I've seen so far, and I honestly can't think of anything that would hypothetically top it. I loved everything about it. And in an era where I don't usually give game trailers a second thought, I watched this one over and over again.

Crazy to me to go on the internet and see complaints about the goddamn sun of all things and not being true cyberpunk or whatever. But we all like what we like.

#55 Posted by Wandrecanada (1010 posts) -

@stephen_von_cloud: And yet they made a reference to Molly imagery and Blade Runner's towering cityscape in the original teaser. Both these IPs were dark and gritty with splashes of neon colored lights breaking up the dark.

I think I'm allowed to feel like that was lost in this trailer for a more modern anime flavored cyberpunk. Not that this is terrible. Current flavor cyberpunk is great in it's own way but I was excited for the old way to make a resurgence again.

#56 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1647 posts) -

@wandrecanada: I'm fine with that kind of towering look in theory but no one can make a game technically with that kind of look and scale right now at all. Just can't happen.

And I really disagree with your reading of the style of this game. To me it screams the art of the original Cyberpunk sourcebooks, not modern Cyberpunk anime. They even had chromed out robot girls in bikins which is a direct shot from the cyberpunk sourcebooks (the protag character near a car at one point looked similar to the cover of sourcebook as well, with the protag having an extremely similar design besides the hair). And at some points, it will be night time.

The teaser was made by a CG company to get people to recruit people to come work on the game from their words. I am not surprised things may change some. I don't get why you are assuming there won't be any of those elements in the game anyways though.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#57 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3765 posts) -

@meierthered: I honestly do not care what he has to say. The first trailer they put out was very much his and Blade Runners "traditional" cyberpunk. Cops pulling over an android under neon lights in the rain while camera feeds with green terminal text from drones captures the scene, in a city where you can't see the sky because the buildings are so tall and pollution has destroyed the skyline.

This trailer shows that there's more to cyberpunk than that because there is because it's evolved. And it's better for it.

Gibson isn't what he was and he's by no means anyone who I'd champion as some sort of gatekeeper for a genre. Gatekeepers of genres are a bad idea. Imagine if every single RPG was just Tolkien and nobody ever deviated from that path.

#58 Posted by avantegardener (2363 posts) -

@tesla said:

I wonder why Mr. Gibson chose the path of the salty gatekeeper over excitement that the genre he helped create has a big new thing that everyone is excited about.

Anyway, super cool to have a new video after 5 years. I love that they kept it bright and sunny; what a confident move. That tells me "yeah we have the neon nights down".

Well to be fair Andrzej Sapkowski was also nonplussed by the Witcher games, very hard to please creators. For the record, I can not wait.

#59 Posted by BrunoTheThird (824 posts) -

I only care about what Mike Pondsmith has to say, to be honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#60 Edited by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -
#61 Posted by Tesla (2292 posts) -

@avantegardener: Excellent point, I suppose I would be extremely critical in that position now that I think about it.

#62 Posted by CheapPoison (1125 posts) -

I am looking forward to CDPR hopefully continuing to put other big RPG's to shame.

#63 Posted by HaniHani (60 posts) -

The amount of daylight in the trailer was a pleasant surprise. Not everything has to look like the original Blade Runner. The art direction and attention to detail is really incredible. Can't wait to see the gameplay.

#64 Posted by mavs (377 posts) -

@tesla said:

I wonder why Mr. Gibson chose the path of the salty gatekeeper over excitement that the genre he helped create has a big new thing that everyone is excited about.

Anyway, super cool to have a new video after 5 years. I love that they kept it bright and sunny; what a confident move. That tells me "yeah we have the neon nights down".

He disliked Shadowrun too, all the way back in the day. That's fine, what's interesting to others is not important to him, and vice versa.

#65 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1951 posts) -

CDPR is one of (perhaps even the only.... maybe Nintendo aswell) company that I will buy their game day one without knowing a single thing about it simply based on the strength of their previous game and the manner in which they conduct themselves as a company.

#66 Posted by Jaalmo (1744 posts) -

All I know is that this is the only game I'll pre-order whenever the hell they will allow me to. I'm all in for this.

#67 Posted by ripelivejam (13097 posts) -

I'll most likely end up getting this and enjoying this, and frankly I like fantasy but I'm quite a bit more keen on cyberpunk. Trailer looked good/great in places and feels like a more colorful GitS than Blade Runner, so disappointing that it doesn't ape one of my favorite things but awesome that it apes another. I always feel reticent about CDPR games though I suppose I shouldn't be; I feel they often get a free pass on things that other developers get crucified for. And there's always a decent amount of wonkiness that multiple patches never seem to clean up in their games, though Witcher 3 did end up feeling the most polish-ed afterwards (yuk yuk).

#68 Posted by liquiddragon (3281 posts) -

Ppl need to chill on CDPR. Their great but they don't know how to do combat and it's not like combat is an insignificant part of those games.

#69 Edited by frytup (1243 posts) -

There is a healthy bit of overstatement when it comes to CDPR, but that's hardly surprising when they're one of the few AAA devs still willing to deliver single-player RPGs without a cynical layer of revenue-generation strategies.

I'm also of the opinion that most 3rd person melee combat systems are bad. What CDPR did with the Witcher doesn't stand out as significantly more annoying to me.

#70 Edited by Whitestripes09 (917 posts) -

I think William Gibson is pointing out a fair point about the game trailer. Narrative and tone wise it's not very cyberpunk.. so far. There's no doubt that aesthetically it's trying to be cyberpunk with a slight twist. As a genre though, aesthetics aren't everything. I think cyberpunk as a genre can look like anything as long as the central themes are covered."High tech, low life", the struggle of the oppressed against a higher power using future tech. This is why The Matrix is said to be a "cyberpunk" film despite not being about mega corporations or being Blade Runner-like. So in that regard, I disagree with Gibson's remark about the 80's vibe, but I do think he's right about the resemblance to GTA.

Loading Video...

Both trailers are eerily similar of being a showcase of the world and tone for the main character... It's also not very cyberpunk in theme and instead feels like a setup for a generic open world power fantasy. But let's be honest, we can't base Cyberpunk 2077 on just the reveal trailer and I'm just as excited and worried about what the final product will be. Time will tell what it will actually be like. It's just weird how similar they are.

#71 Edited by BrunoTheThird (824 posts) -

Hasn't nearly every open-world game edit: with a thriving populacedone that kind of thing in its trailer?

#72 Edited by Zeik (5184 posts) -

@liquiddragon said:

Ppl need to chill on CDPR. Their great but they don't know how to do combat and it's not like combat is an insignificant part of those games.

Except I legitimately like The Witcher 3's combat. Or is that not allowed?

Everyone is going to be approaching this game from different perspectives of what they like and don't like about previous CDPR games.

#73 Posted by liquiddragon (3281 posts) -

@frytup: Come on man, our expectations should be higher than "not annoying" regardless of how low the standard is. We have to engage with the combat for dozens and dozens of hours to see the goods, it's a major part of the game.

I do like CDPR, one of the reasons being their consumer friendliness but they shouldn't be off the hook on an important component of the game. We should want it to be better and the more the audience is critical of it, the more seriously they'll address the problem I think.

That said, they did a reasonable job of cleaning up the combat from W2 so I do think they're improving in that department. It is my biggest concern with Cyberpunk 2077 but I think there is some hope.

@zeik: I don't believe you. And no, you are not allowed. (I'm jking btw, if that's not coming across.)

#74 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1647 posts) -

@zeik said:
@liquiddragon said:

Yeah, the Witcher 3 has very good and fun combat. Loved it on the Blood and Broken Bones setting. Really brutal early on and then you could break it and feel powerful with the cool abilities later. One of the best combat systems in any RPG for me for sure.

#75 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1647 posts) -

Also it really seems like a lot of people don't realize this is based on a property that way predated Ghost in the Shell. It's not just ripping off Ghost in the Shell guys. Go check out the art for the old Cyberpunk RPG books. To me it's very that. It's also very that in how there is some glitz, glamour, and focus on pop culture. Cyberpunk had a lot of stuff about playing as a musician or journalist for example.

#76 Posted by BoOzak (2515 posts) -

@zeik said:
@liquiddragon said:

Yeah, the Witcher 3 has very good and fun combat. Loved it on the Blood and Broken Bones setting. Really brutal early on and then you could break it and feel powerful with the cool abilities later.

The signs in TW3 were a lot more fun to use but the melee combat to me was a step down from TW2. (I played it on Death March, kind of wish I had'nt)

I'm very interested in what the combat ends up being like though. I really hope they dont go the Technomancer route of just making a melee based game with guns that suck.

I know it's not really Cyberpunk but I thought the latest Deus Ex had pretty good combat for a quasi RPG. (or 0451 games, still not quite sure how to define them)

#77 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1647 posts) -

@boozak: I'm not sure I have a take either way on the swordplay vs 2 but I think that game also has good combat. Signs are cooler in 3 for sure. I never agree with people who bash either one.

I personally am expecting Cyberpunk be a third person shooter for the most part and play like a GTA type game with all your RPG abilities on top. If it is like the source material it will involve quick and brutal shoot outs.

#78 Posted by FacelessVixen (2523 posts) -

Take your time Projekt Red. I've still got quite the backlog.