• 104 results
EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By EXTomar

This is not the first or last time someone gets burned by Microsoft when they change their business goals.

ps. I don't think you do anyone favors by buying product in a situation like this. Buying D4 just rewards Microsoft for abusing developers.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

When they reviewed it on Gamespot a majority of the comments it received was "I've never heard of this game- it looks stupid"

They're stupid. -_-

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cooljammer00: Ah cool was honestly wondering. My friends have good tastes! Lol.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@hailinel said:

@slag: My guess? They got his game to help sell and promote Kinect. But Microsoft left the Kinect to die, and so they felt no obligation to promote D4. I feel just awful for Swery.

Me too dude. Like or don't like his work is unique. We need more games that have the kind of personal creative vision his games do. It's a damn shame to see his work just crushed like this.

What you said sounds very plausible to me, not to mention the new regime at Xbox is probably more than happy to throw anything related to the old one out the door as well.

Corporate politics is worst.

@slag said:

That is very not cool. I feel very bad for Swery and his studio, I don't understand why Microsoft won't even do the bare minimum to help them sell their game.

Why did they bother to fund it, just to leave it to die?

And here I thought that dark dreams don't die. Sorry couldn't resist.

Hah! Nicely done.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By BisonHero

@whitegreyblack said:

@mrfluke: Geez, they even had a vacant slot open under "exclusives" in which to put D4:

No Caption Provided

Eventually, I will get an Xbox One. And I will buy D4. Unfortunately, that might be in 1-2 years.

Well at least they highlighted that hot exclusive that everyone is talking about, Kinect Sports Rivals!

I kinda wonder what employee retention is like at Rare at this point, given that all of their Kinect games get panned and Avatars were pretty short-lived in the grand scheme of things.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

Why did they bother to fund it, just to leave it to die?

And here I thought that dark dreams don't die. Sorry couldn't resist.

Boom! You nailed it.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked it up to support Swery, even though I haven't got to it yet.

Should anyone really be surprised at the low sales though? It's one hell of a niche game after all

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I picked it up to support Swery, even though I haven't got to it yet.

Should anyone really be surprised at the low sales though? It's one hell of a niche game after all

While it is niche, Microsoft did next to nothing to market or advertise the game despite funding its development. The game went up on the marketplace with little warning or fanfare, as though it was expected to live or die purely by word of mouth.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@bisonhero: Job's a job I think, it's not like most of them were the creative lead or anything. "Someday I'll be one of the 3000 names that worked on Watch_Dogs_2_Dogs_2_Furious" doesn't really sound like a glorious ambition/lateral move.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well at least they highlighted that hot exclusive that everyone is talking about, Kinect Sports Rivals!

I kinda wonder what employee retention is like at Rare at this point, given that all of their Kinect games get panned and Avatars were pretty short-lived in the grand scheme of things.

I have to imagine that nearly everyone that was with Rare during the glory days has moved on at this point. Anyone that's stayed on and anyone that's been hired since their transition to what they are today likely bought into the vision of what the new Rare was deigned to create.

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

do U think it would have sold more on PC? I personally think that since Valve introduced the most popular new releases tab, games that have any sort of buzz, even minor one, will appear on that tab for at least a few hours, which would be alot better then no front page time at all (which it what happened on Xbox One). So I think it could end up selling more, although still low I would guess.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd buy it, but I just don't have the funds right now. Contract ended, so I'm between jobs for now. Too bad Microsoft sent this out to die - I like Swery games and want them to succeed.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zamolxes said:

do U think it would have sold more on PC? I personally think that since Valve introduced the most popular new releases tab, games that have any sort of buzz, even minor one, will appear on that tab for at least a few hours, which would be alot better then no front page time at all (which it what happened on Xbox One). So I think it could end up selling more, although still low I would guess.

PC (Steam specifically) would likely be the most profitable platform for this game. Microsoft and Access Games could make a decent chunk of money if they funded to have an outside developer or Swery and his team do a PC port.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@zamolxes: Yeah I think due the sheer size of of the userbase of Steam compared to Xb1 owners they would've sold a lot more. hard to say whether or not they would've sold enough for it to be considered a "success" without knowing how much the game cost, but their chances would definitely be better if you ask me.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Jam that shit into Steam and I'll buy it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jam that shit into Steam and I'll buy it.

Agreed

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Corvak

The trouble with exclusives - you either become an AAA system seller, or you sort of fall into oblivion.

While I do really enjoy the game - heck even the kinect stuff is fun to use - D4 would probably do better on PC.

I really hope MS is going to accept the blame for this, and not just tell Swery to pound sand or w/e. They did a super stealth release with no marketing whatsoever. Now, I don't know what goes on between MS/Swery and places like GB, but it sounds like they didnt even offer anyone advance copies for review/coverage.

This feels like a game that would have been a great thing for GB to pull out for a video, or even just a UPF segment in the weeks leading up to release.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak said:

The trouble with exclusives - you either become an AAA system seller, or you sort of fall into oblivion.

While I do really enjoy the game - heck even the kinect stuff is fun to use - D4 would probably do better on PC.

The true irony is that by all accounts, compared to the other Kinect games released on the Xbox One so far, D4 made much better use than most if not all of them. The game would have made an excellent showcase for the hardware had Microsoft not tossed it aside.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By fram

@whitegreyblack said:

@mrfluke: Geez, they even had a vacant slot open under "exclusives" in which to put D4:

No Caption Provided

Eventually, I will get an Xbox One. And I will buy D4. Unfortunately, that might be in 1-2 years.

Worst thing is that THERE'S A SPACE FOR ANOTHER DAMN EXCLUSIVE RIGHT THERE!!!!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder why Swery said it will never come to PS4? Did Microsoft publish or fund the game?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Hailinel

I wonder why Swery said it will never come to PS4? Did Microsoft publish or fund the game?

Microsoft did indeed fund development. D4 has as much of a chance of seeing release on the PS4 as Bayonetta 2 has of seeing release on the Xbox One.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fram said:

@bisonhero said:

@whitegreyblack said:

No Caption Provided

Worst thing is that THERE'S A SPACE FOR ANOTHER DAMN EXCLUSIVE RIGHT THERE!!!!

seriously,

a microsoft funded game, and microsoft doesnt even want to put it in that empty space.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm in the same boat I was in for Deadly Premonition. I really want to play this game, but I don't want to get an Xbox for it. Luckily, Deadly Premonition eventually came to PS3. Sadly the same will probably not be true for D4.

FerreroChell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole situation just sucks. I feel so sorry for Swery and his team. It must be upsetting to see something that you so much effort and love into not get supported by the company who funded it. I watched the VGA stream of this and it really made me want to play it. I really do hope it comes to PC.

And Microsoft, when you have an interesting and unique game that will differentiate you from your competition, ADVERTISE IT!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By Milkman

Wow, that tweet legitimately breaks my heart. I'm sorry, Swery. I don't have an Xbox One. I would help if I could. =(

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just leave this here, because I love it.

Loading Video...

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a damned shame, because I love SWERY and I'd play this game but I have no intention of buying an xbox one. The game seems like it'd be more at home on the PS4 anyways, since Sony still seems like the friendlier company for indie/smaller esoteric games. I understand Microsoft funded development, but I can't help but wish it had turned out differently for SWERY.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I just don't have an Xbox One, or I would have the game in a second.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SWERY should be used to his games not selling but I'm not sure the marketing push would've made a difference. He's catering to the Deadly Premonition crowd which already are aware of its existence.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack:

That image and the message that Swery retweeted it with just makes me sad. At least they remembered the great exclusives of Kinect Rivals and ShapeUp.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys do know he retweets a ton of peoples tweets about his good or bad. This tweet in itself is not sad. As it's really just him interacting with his fans. Hell he's retweeted me twice.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@gonmog said:

@metalbaofu: shrugs. Well all im seeing is people tweeting him about wanting to buy it on a other system and him flat out saying if you want to play it get a Xbox one.

Yeah, of course he says that, because there's no other choice. That's the only way to play the game, and probably always will be. A lot of people sending those tweets probably have no idea that it was published by MS and really has no chance of going to a Sony console, and they're not going to buy an Xbox One just to play D4. If I end up with an Xbox One some day in the future, then there is a good chance I will pick it up(even though I really dislike Deadly Premonition), but until then all I can do is wish that it ended up on a system I own.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was holding off on buying this til it goes on sale (my back catalogue is always huge) but reading this topic convinced me to buy it now and support the guy.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalbaofu: I can't see why anyone would not pick it up honestly. It's 15 bucks lol. And hell of a lot better then otgwe games of this type.... Yes I'm looking at walking dead.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Corevi

Turns out when you release a weird japanese game on a system solely marketed to dudebros it doesn't sell. Who fucking knew.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Gonmog

@corevi: Your post hurt my head on many fronts. Did you forget the horrible bro ads for ps4? Eww. Lol on top of that the game is not weird in a Japanese way, its weird in a SWERY way. And there is a huge difference.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost feel like we'll be seeing another one of these threads in a couple weeks again for Bayonetta.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: just show a few gameplay clips, some weird scenes, a few nonsequiturs, and end with a bizzare question posed in the game. Let the weirdness market itself? /shrug

I mean anything is better than nothing, I think.

I'd love all 4 of the D in my eyes and ears, but I don't have an xone... Aaaaaamd it's the type thing I'd want to play with friends but I moved away recently. So regardless I would/will be watching a lets play

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gonmog: I will buy an XBone eventually, but I'm not spending 400 bucks on a system just for this game and probably that Halo collection when I've got more than enough on my plate gameswise. Most people aren't asking for a PS4 port because that's like all the people asking if Bloodborne is gonna come to PC. A PC port makes perfect sense though for numerous reasons and since Microsoft obviously doesn't seem to care about marketing it as an exclusive for their system I don't know why they wouldn't let a PC port happen.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an owner of both an Xbox One and D4, I can say with some certainty that it's the most fun I've had on the system. SWERY's brand of crazy is clearly not for everyone, but in terms of platform exclusivity this thing is a huge differentiator between the Xbone and any other gaming device. Not only that, but it is without a doubt the best damn argument for owning a Kinect. Microsoft should be putting a copy of D4 in the box with every standalone Kinect that goes on sale. This should be on the dashboard home page as a reason for early adopters to feel happy about owning a Kinect. Hell, they're obviously not gonna put a huge amount of marketing money behind this thing, but at least drum up a bug social media push - encourage people to post clips, PUT DOWNLOAD CODES IN PACKETS OF FUCKING CLAM CHOWDER OR SOMETHING. It makes me sad.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By EXTomar

I look at this game and see it way more aligned with the weird stuff you see on Steam instead of XBox. Maybe the mistake was that he went with the wrong platform. And again I have to point out doing a pity buy on platform that treated them poorly does little favors.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it, and I'm loving it! But, I had to really search for it on the Xbox One store. Absolutely no advertising on there for it.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By alwaysbebombing

This game is the best kind of D. Well, not really, the best, but it is awesome D.

(It actually is a really enjoyable experience)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#95  Edited By veektarius

It's not a system-seller and people looking for indie-experimental games probably didn't spring for that console, if they bought one at all. I'll probably pick it up at some point but it's not really a match made in heaven.

Also: Is it really so unreasonable for me to say I have mixed feelings about buying a game that'll probably never be finished?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to buy it, but it came out on the wrong platform.

And i'm definitely not getting an Xbone this gen.

When (if) the director's edition comes out on PS4 I'll purchase it for sure

Avatar image for matthewthebeast
MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many xbones are out there? ~5 mil or something? With some proper right advertising it might've gotten more sales. Especially since the playerbase should be thirsty for some games.

The total sales of ~10K seems to be solely SWERY fans.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Corvak

@hailinel said:

@corvak said:

The true irony is that by all accounts, compared to the other Kinect games released on the Xbox One so far, D4 made much better use than most if not all of them. The game would have made an excellent showcase for the hardware had Microsoft not tossed it aside.

Very true. I think developers need to push for more assurances regarding marketing agreements when signing exclusive or timed exclusive deals with console makers. A lot of japanese devs have been badly burned by western publishers and/or Microsoft as minds change during the development cycle. Shadows of the Damned - a Shinji Mikami and Suda 51 game for 360 and PS3, was largely consigned to the bargain bin when EA pulled out of their partners program in all but name, offering it little to no exposure in western regions.

Deadly Premonition, Swery's last game - did ok on 360, because it had retail presence. Microsoft's platform is probably the most intrusive in gaming when it comes to advertising, yet they continue to fumble the ball when it comes to trying to sell things available on their own digital store.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By bigjeffrey

shame no fuck given by Microsoft, One of my favorite games of the year and a game that is truly "better w/ kinect". The should make the prologue free

leaderboards cap out at 10,000 so we don't have any idea if it's sold lots more than it was initially at. But Deadly Premonition did 30,000 in the first 3 months and that was full retail game and that did just fine even before coming to PC and PS3 so this will probably be fine in the long run.

I mean they should give a shit, they even went as far as to make tie in DLC for their franchises

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

fucking gears hoodies and shit

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak: I like how you referenced Shadows of the Damned which was a really fantastic experience yet sold poorly because the publisher didn't advertise it properly. I think Microsoft and Swery need to see the huge desire for a PC release and make it happen. I mean, they will make lots of money from it. Why not do it?