"Pirates just stole shit from other people?" - Dan Ryckert on Ubisoft's Skull and Bones

• 96 results
gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@deckard said:
@theoriginalatlas said:

Man, sometimes I really hate Dan Ryckert.

I don't care if he's doing a bit or if he actually is that ignorant. Either way, it offends my soul.

In the early days of his hiring Dan's ignorance would piss me off to no end. But then I realized a lot of his ignorance stems from his childhood, which is more the result of parenting (or lack thereof) than anything. I think he's being honest when he said he doesn't think about pirates that much - he probably doesn't think about pirates as an adult. And as a child it seems he didn't grow up in a household that really fostered learning, exploration, trying new experiences (i.e. all the food he has never had), etc. so he wasn't exposed to pirate knowledge there either.

Yeah, Dan telling stories of his childhood is a real fucking bummer. A few weeks back when they were talking about books, he mentioned that he basically never understood when he was a kid that you could read books for pleasure. Like, literally no one had told him that books could be enjoyable, or exposed him to stuff to read that might make him understand that himself. When you hear stuff like that, you wonder what that kind of childhood does to a person, and you can understand a little bit better why he is like how it is.

Still though, hearing him, out loud, ask whether pirates stole stuff from other people is fucking shocking.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I find it really hard to believe you can live your whole life pretty much only being interested in pop culture and not know what a pirate does. What, you're telling me there was never a pirate pro wrestler or something? Come on.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They killed people sometimes, too. Did you think the skull-and-crossbones thing was just for fun? :D

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Casepb

Ben's reaction is pretty hilarious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I love how realizing why digital piracy is called what it is, obviously, helped wrap his mind around this new information.

bugbarbecue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By bugbarbecue

this Dan is fun Dan goofiness, I have no problem with the "oh man I can't believe he thought that" moments. I do have a problem with his narrow negativity and just plain bad opinions on the thing he knows the most about, games.

A couple of times in conferences people have looked at him with genuine.. well maybe hate is a strong word, but severe irritation. He has opinions about games that are staid, unmoving and bad. I know he's been trying to broaden his horizons, but it takes so long. Case in point was the battletoads reveal.

indure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By indure

It's a real Phoenix Down moment ... NO!

God that's funny.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@fledeye said:
@deckard said:
@theoriginalatlas said:

I don't care if he's doing a bit or if he actually is that ignorant. Either way, it offends my soul.

In the early days of his hiring Dan's ignorance would piss me off to no end. But then I realized a lot of his ignorance stems from his childhood, which is more the result of parenting (or lack thereof) than anything. I think he's being honest when he said he doesn't think about pirates that much - he probably doesn't think about pirates as an adult. And as a child it seems he didn't grow up in a household that really fostered learning, exploration, trying new experiences (i.e. all the food he has never had), etc. so he wasn't exposed to pirate knowledge there either.

It’s also a problem with the education system. Every time Dan talks about his time at university, I wince.

I really wanted to go to uni, but for financial and family reasons, I couldn’t. So it upsets me when he talks about not doing any work, not going to classes etc. But it’s the system that allowed that behaviour and it meant that Dan didn’t get a full education and is now a man in his 30’s who doesn’t know what a pirate is.

Yeah, Dan's college experience screams of middle-class white privilege. That's not really his fault or anything, but he slides by on a lot that others wouldn't and has had a lot of opportunities for that reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fledeye said:
@deckard said:
@theoriginalatlas said:

It’s also a problem with the education system. Every time Dan talks about his time at university, I wince.

I really wanted to go to uni, but for financial and family reasons, I couldn’t. So it upsets me when he talks about not doing any work, not going to classes etc. But it’s the system that allowed that behaviour and it meant that Dan didn’t get a full education and is now a man in his 30’s who doesn’t know what a pirate is.

Yeah, Dan's college experience screams of middle-class white privilege. That's not really his fault or anything, but he slides by on a lot that others wouldn't and has had a lot of opportunities for that reason.

Wow, a lot of people of all genders, ages and ethnicity slack off in college. I'm not sure why this thread has devolved into that subject by him not knowing what a fucking pirate is. Dan is sometimes an uninformed guy when it comes to basic things, but I noticed he's never afraid to ask about things he don't know anything about. Even if it's basic and slightly embarrasing, which is a good trait. He's not one of those guys who pretends to be informed about something when they don't know half as much as they think, a lot of people fall into that trap including myself.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went to college from a middle class white family. What I remember is having to learn and maintain a good grade average. When I roomed at the dorm, I was paired with some initially semi-accepting black guy who after he got used to a white guy around, was pretty decent. We all partied, but people who weren't going to apply themselves flunked out and the others learned to swim. Being white middle class, my parents fully paid my tuition with no entitlement breaks like perhaps an elite, white or not, would. And I worked also myself. If middle class meant anything at all, perhaps that reflected more where I ended up than the opportunities that may be open for others. I loved the experience.

As for Dan, I'm not sure what I am seeing. But people may reflect that everyone is going on about this because of his singular behavior. Obviously it doesn't fit the norm to not know what a Pirate is, does it? If there was a 'WE DON'T KNOW WHAT A PIRATE IS, DAY', or a huge fucking forum on Reddit blaming failure of not knowing what a Pirate was on anything but themselves. I'd get it.

But it's Dan. I've learned to like the guy (better keep his end up in the Exquisite Corps). His ignorance is certainly his own.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as everyone was done reacting to Dan's knowledge gap, I paused the stream and called my soon to be 9 year old son over and asked him "Hey buddy, can you describe what a pirate does to me?". His response: "A pirate steals things, sails on ships, kills people by making them walk the plank, smuggles things. You know, pirate stuff."

I said thank you to him and unpaused the stream, thankful that I've done enough as a father so that my son knows what a pirate does at 9 instead of worrying that one day he might reveal that he doesn't as a 33 year old on a livestream someday.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

This probably isn't a new thought, but who else finds it weird that games critics have bits and at times play up their characteristics, almost to the point of having distinct characters, when they are on camera? Like Dan playing up the "I'm naive and ignorant!" I mean, I don't know the guy personally but from GB and GI content it seems like it's a mix who he actually is (God help him) and who he wants to present for "entertainment." But, these folks were reviewing and writing about games and/or editing videos in a past life. It's bizarre that they are now playing the role of entertainer, right?

The internet is fucking weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By notnert427

Man, this clip is extremely good. Let's break it down.

• Dan verbalizes something too dumb to ignore.
  • Vinny, Brad, and Ben all immediately turn to each other in a collective WTF.
  • Jeff tries to just pretend it didn't happen.
  • Alex begins to express a different thought and barely gets through it.
  • Ben loses it and gestures the equivalent of "everyone heard that, right?"
  • Vinny can't let it slide and puts an innocuous "wait...what?" out there to allow Dan to try and explain himself.
  • Dan proves that no, he did not, in fact, misspeak.
  • Ben, Jeff, and Brad all yell a variation of the same "WHAT DO YOU THINK PIRATES ARE?" question simultaneously.
  • Jeff goes straight to mockery about "sailing around having a fun time, yay!"
  • Ben can't take it and buries his face in his hands.
  • Brad does a three-stage facepalm.
  • Alex dies a little inside.
  • Vinny offers a defeated "...can't..." to try and move past it.
  • Jeff tries to stop himself from yelling.
  • Dan claims to "get it".
  • Jeff can no longer contain himself and yells through his fist, "NO YOU DON'T!" in perhaps the best moment of the whole thing.
  • Alex gives in to the facepalm.
  • Vinny gives the sickest burn of all about wishing Dan were in the audience raising his hand.
  • It finally makes sense to Dan when he connects the "digital piracy" concept.
  • Alex slowly exhales a part of his soul.
Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By Seikenfreak

@jhevans51: Haha this is excellent.

I just remembered that I have moments like this with my mother. She's like 70 or something at this point, has her masters degree, and worked for the state. The subject of dinosaurs came up and somehow it became apparent that she didn't know what happened to them. I wish I could remember if it was like "I wonder what happened to them.." or along those lines but I was baffled. I then tried to explain the generally accepted scenario (asteroid, dust cloud, ice age I guess) from my basic understanding.

I don't expect someone to know anything in great detail like this but I figure you hear something about it over your lifetime..

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indure said:

It's a real Phoenix Down moment ... NO!

God that's funny.

Had to Google that, watched the video, and...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

He knows digital piracy is thievery, knows pirates are homicidal criminals, but most astoundingly self-proclaimed to get all of his knowledge through movies, and still never thought pirates stole shit.

Oh Dan lol

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to shake my mother when I was setting up her new phone. She had downloaded some crappy free to play solitaire on it. So we are on tmobile, and the solitaire game has some kind of like blue jagged logo and is like "Bit Mobile" or something. She's like well isn't that a tmobile game?

"WITH A DIFFERENT LOGO?" "well I don't know" "IT DOESN'T EVEN SAY T-MOBILE" "but it says mobile" "YES AND NOT T-MOBILE, IT DOESN'T HAVE THEIR LOGO OR COLORS" "how was I supposed to know that?"

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Dan's college experience screams of middle-class white privilege.

Can we just not.

Anyway, I much prefer Dan's fun ignorance on topics we just assume are common knowledge to "instant expert" syndrome some people have nowadays on niche and complicated topics that spring up.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By xanadu

I think it's really fun how mad people get about harmless words from someone that will never affect your personal life. Oh, GB forums....never change.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uhtaree said:

Anyway, I much prefer Dan's fun ignorance on topics we just assume are common knowledge to "instant expert" syndrome some people have nowadays on niche and complicated topics that spring up.

Hard agree. The "I just read up on this topic five minutes ago on Wikipedia so I can try to talk down to people asking questions about it" people bother me way more.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

Do i get mad ? Not really just disappointed that the "greatest" country on earth, might have the shittys't education system, Keep on importing Professors from different countries.

What?

The US primary education system is far from perfect, but using Dan as an example of its failings is a bit baffling considering Giantbomb is staffed by a bunch of Americans who don't suffer from his unique brand of ignorance. Dan is Dan. Don't extrapolate.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@frytup: yah seriously, all those people at the same table that aren’t oblivious to the world and it’s very basic history came from that very same educational system. Dan is someone who is somehow incredibly lucky in life and has gotten to this point through, perseverance yes, and tons, TONS of lucky rolls of the dice. I’ve seen plenty of people that worked just as hard fail repeatedly to get ahead in their chosen professions. People that struggled through school. I like Dan as a person, he’s a fun dood, but the way he seemingly slipped through life is infuriating when you think of all the hard working people out there that deserve better but somehow keep getting set back at every turn.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said it once, and I'll say it again: Dan. Is. The. Real. Life. Homer. Simpson.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#75  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Alright, this thread started off funny but now people are getting way too personal with their armchair psychoanalysis. It's incredibly rude to start making assumptions about someone's upbringing.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vdortizo: It all make's sense now ! The nuclear reactor was a metaphor for "gaming critique"

jen1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That part in the stream really made me laugh. The reactions from the rest of the GB crew made it even more hilarious. Dan's a nice guy, and at the end of the day, he's doing his job while keeping us entertained and informed. Let's appreciate the fact that a personality like his exists on Giant Bomb, because he really does add something special to the site. Appreciate and joke, but don't hate.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By John1912

Yea its so hard to place Dan...The stuff he says, or is shockingly unaware/naive about is staggering. To the point where I would say he has to have a learning disability to put it kindly. But hes obviously a more then functional person. Writes for a major gaming site, writes books....The man is a paradox. He really needs to write a book called "Shit I said" on his death bed. Preferably with little to no context.

Also wondering what was going on in his head that he thought pirates just searched for buried treasure. Who did he think was burying treasure all over to support a pirate industry.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It's his Phoenix down moment"

"NO!!"

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vdortizo said:

I said it once, and I'll say it again: Dan. Is. The. Real. Life. Homer. Simpson.

Not until he goes to space or has a half-brother that quickly vanishes off the face of the earth.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By xanadu

@john1912 said:

Yea its so hard to place Dan...The stuff he says, or is shockingly unaware/naive about is staggering. To the point where I would say he has to have a learning disability to put it kindly. But hes obviously a more then functional person. Writes for a major gaming site, writes books....The man is a paradox. He really needs to write a book called "Shit I said" on his death bed. Preferably with little to no context.

Also wondering what was going on in his head that he thought pirates just searched for buried treasure. Who did he think was burying treasure all over to support a pirate industry.

Probably gonna get a lot of shit for this but here we go....It's easy for me to see that Dan is actually an extremely intelligent person. His father has even said so (though parents are always proud). He has just chosen to focus his intelligence on Mario lore and Professional Wrestling. No biggie.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I have come around to his honesty about not knowing things. I can respect wanting to figure out things he doesn't understand. Sure as hell beats the alternative of purposefully staying ignorant, or even worse, pretending to know a thing. Also, Dan has become my de facto MVP for funniest E3 moments of the last few years, and with the exception of the Vinny-edited Ryan Davis moment when someone crept up on him out on the street away from one of the conferences, this is probably my top E3 funny moment from Giant Bomb in general. Both intentionally (with Austin Walker) and unintentionally (the pirate thing), he's drawing some of the best reactions and moments from his coworkers.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You really just need to sit down, watch the whole thing, and watch it through focusing on a single individual's reactions per run through.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

St Augustine tells the story of a conversation between Alexander the Great and a pirate he captured.

"How dare you molest the seas?" asks Alexander.

"How dare you molest the whole world?" the pirate replies. "Because I do it with a little ship only, I am called a thief. You, doing it with a great navy, are called an emperor."

Yeah, I sort of have this irrationally intense dislike of the way that pirates are depicted in modern popular culture. There were certainly some pirates who were shockingly progressive for their day. But the woobification of pirates, particularly in the character of Jack Sparrow and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies as a whole, just annoys the hell out of me. In the latest movie in the series, Javier Bardem plays the Spanish captain who sought to rid the seas of piracy, and the narrative and the characters all treat him as some sort of irredeemable monster. He was, to be sure, monstrous and ruthless. But so were a lot of pirates, who literally went around stealing and murdering. But Jack Sparrow is always this lovable oaf who (as far as I know) never murders anyone. That's all the other pirates, right? Yeah.

Like I said, my feelings on this aren't rational. I just find this stuff particularly irksome.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By John1912

@xanadu said:
@john1912 said:

Probably gonna get a lot of shit for this but here we go....It's easy for me to see that Dan is actually an extremely intelligent person. His father has even said so (though parents are always proud). He has just chosen to focus his intelligence on Mario lore and Professional Wrestling. No biggie.

Dont get me wrong. Dan is a lot of fun! I like him! He seems very aware he says/asks some really crazy shit, and seems pretty fine with it. Which I think is great! But You know a man trys to cook some eggs shells to make a egg white omelet, then calls his mom to ask why it isnt working...You gotta ask whats going on lol.

He just seems to have A LOT of childhood impressions of things that were never dispelled. Its very weird, but also a lot of fun. I hope he doesnt take offense with people talking about it. I think its mostly done out of affection, as hes a just a fun goofy guy.

FMinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By FMinus

@tothenines said:
@wrighteous86 said:
@fledeye said:
@deckard said:
@theoriginalatlas said:

Wow, a lot of people of all genders, ages and ethnicity slack off in college. I'm not sure why this thread has devolved into that subject by him not knowing what a fucking pirate is. Dan is sometimes an uninformed guy when it comes to basic things, but I noticed he's never afraid to ask about things he don't know anything about. Even if it's basic and slightly embarrasing, which is a good trait. He's not one of those guys who pretends to be informed about something when they don't know half as much as they think, a lot of people fall into that trap including myself.

It's not the slacking part that's problematic, it's that you make it through college while slacking. Some subjects here have attendance and if you miss it so and so many times you automatically fail the year even if all your other subjects are all 10s and that goes for all kinds of colleges, some classe/subjects you just need to attend. Now depending on what direction in college you go you might sleepwalk your way through it, for example a doctors degree in sports, requires you to be good at sports but you can be dumb as a vase, where a medical degree will require you countless sleepless hours of learning, but even the sports college requires you to be present in vital classes for the degree you are aspiring.

Dan's not dumb, he's just ignorant. Some things I hear from him I just don't get. It is my belief that I would not be able to find a person who doesn't know what a pirate is or what a pirate does if I go outside now and asked random persona bout, even a 6 year old will be able to tell me the most basic things about piracy. But what is quite a bit infuriating is the fact that Dan seems to not know the most basic things, yet he knows things like what the brand for artificial testicles for pets is called. C'mon man, priorities in life are important.

Also let us not forget that piracy still exists to this day so it's not something mythical or something that stopped ~300 something years ago, so I would consider knowing what piracy is general knowledge.

If it is an act, he plays it superbly.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the UK there is a man called Karl Pilkington. He’s a friend of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

He had a very working class upbringing in a city in the north of England, he missed a lot of school for a variety of reasons and his school sounds like it was pretty substandard anyway. He, like Dan, is missing big chunks of common sense and general knowledge, but, like Dan, he’s very skilled at certain things. He used to produce a national radio show, he’s written books, presented “travel” shows and he’s acted in TV and movies.

But the difference is that Karl is very earnest. He knows there are holes in his knowledge and he asks questions and actually listens to the answers and then goes away to find out more. Karl doesn’t want to turn everything into a competition or come up with silly forfeits for his coworkers and he will try new things. When he traveled around the world his suitcase was full of British snacks, but I’m pretty sure he’s eaten a mushroom because he’s a little bit more open minded.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all an act folks.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

I love the guy and appreciate him a lot (even more than I should I think solely because he likes Majora's Mask), but these are the things that make me discount more or less every opinion he has on anything. I mean, this is a guy who went 33 years not knowing that pirates steal stuff. He somehow didn't realized that people would read books for enjoyment until later in life. And the glee in which he says things like "Spider-Man: Homecoming is a bad movie" just makes him seem like a troll. So what we have here is a lovable weird goof who is also an astoundingly ignorant troll. I love it and hate it at the same time, because I just can't not get angry when he shits all over the things I love, things that have been very important to my own life and, frankly, my sanity. But hearing a grown man who love action movie stuff and works in the game industry ask "pirates just stole shit from other people?" just made my day.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#92  Edited By Atlas

@gunflame88 said:

I find it really hard to believe you can live your whole life pretty much only being interested in pop culture and not know what a pirate does. What, you're telling me there was never a pirate pro wrestler or something? Come on.

Kairi Hojo/Kairi Sane has the gimmick of being the "pirate princess", but she's very much a Disney, pop culture style pirate, rather than a plundering, profiteering, violent, scurvy-ridden scourge of the seas.

There was also pirate Paul Burchill, who was an English bloke they told to dress up as Jack Sparrow. He was on Smackdown in 2006 as that character for all of about four weeks. The less said about him, the better. (Still better than his implied incest gimmick).

LordDalbino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all an act folks.

I'm increasingly starting to feel that this is the case. He's working us all

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's curiosity and sometimes lack of knowledge are my two favorite things on this site.

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this clip is extremely good. Let's break it down.

• Dan verbalizes something too dumb to ignore.
  • Vinny, Brad, and Ben all immediately turn to each other in a collective WTF.
  • Jeff tries to just pretend it didn't happen.
  • Alex begins to express a different thought and barely gets through it.
  • Ben loses it and gestures the equivalent of "everyone heard that, right?"
  • Vinny can't let it slide and puts an innocuous "wait...what?" out there to allow Dan to try and explain himself.
  • Dan proves that no, he did not, in fact, misspeak.
  • Ben, Jeff, and Brad all yell a variation of the same "WHAT DO YOU THINK PIRATES ARE?" question simultaneously.
  • Jeff goes straight to mockery about "sailing around having a fun time, yay!"
  • Ben can't take it and buries his face in his hands.
  • Brad does a three-stage facepalm.
  • Alex dies a little inside.
  • Vinny offers a defeated "...can't..." to try and move past it.
  • Jeff tries to stop himself from yelling.
  • Dan claims to "get it".
  • Jeff can no longer contain himself and yells through his fist, "NO YOU DON'T!" in perhaps the best moment of the whole thing.
  • Alex gives in to the facepalm.
  • Vinny gives the sickest burn of all about wishing Dan were in the audience raising his hand.
  • It finally makes sense to Dan when he connects the "digital piracy" concept.
  • Alex slowly exhales a part of his soul.

legendary

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah those in here trying to turn this into a larger debate about educational problems or anything of the like need to chill. It's just Dan.

That said, this moment was a big baffler for me. @vdortizo I was with you calling him Homer until this moment. Now I'm not entirely sure Dan isn't just Tom Hanks character from the movie Big. I just wow.

For those wondering why not knowing how a pirate operates is a big deal, it's more the practical aspect of it. It's one of those common knowledge things that you just pick up by attrition, even if your ignorant/not doing research on a subject. Even if Dan wants to make the argument of pop culture, or wrestling, or being in his own bubble. Examples of pirates are everywhere. He has played and reviewed games that give clear indications of what a pirate does. The great moment that came, and everyones reaction on crew was pretty hilarious.

But it's the fact that he can't connect a and b that I think is what makes the moment. Dan sometimes consumes things with "Dan-vision" and I don't know how a person can do that. He may ask questions, but he doesn't think through any connections something may have with something else. This isn't new for him either. Not realizing that Metal Gear was anime, outright dismissing things based on footage of something or a trailer. He's the classic judge a book by the cover guy, even in the case when if he read the back synopsis he'd realize it's just the same thing he likes but different.

Anyway, I don't think it was a bit in the slightest. Great GB moment though. But still wow. Legit question though, is this the deepest "Dan ignorance" takes us? Or is there is a worse (best) one yet? I don't know, anymore honestly I don't. I used to think Dan was way too far removed from the ignorant you'd see sometimes on Twitter legit "celebrating" America's birthday on New Years presuming that their Country had existed 2000+ years. I doubt it goes that deep. But deeper than this may be possible.

mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@devise22 said:

Dan sometimes consumes things with "Dan-vision" and I don't know how a person can do that. He may ask questions, but he doesn't think through any connections something may have with something else.

I've met plenty of people like that. I don't directly know what causes them to do that but it seems common enough. The only different thing about Dan is that at the same time he wants to express his passion and thoughts about the things he likes to as many people out there as possible. I definitely haven't seen anyone else do both of those things. He's really lucky to have that side of him shining at full power, though honestly most of the oblivious people I've met are doing fine without it. It's just sometimes weird to have a conversation with them.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The world might never again be blessed with something quite so beautiful.