Was the remaster worth getting?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am just not sure. I played through the entirety of it in 2016, so I feel like it's almost too soon. Each game is so memorable to me that the feeling of having my fill of going through the same places to do the same thing again isn't easy to quench (did I word that correctly?) Dark Souls 1 is my favorite of the games I'd say, but still, it feels too soon to get into it again, but I'm not sure. How has everyone's experience been with it? I'd be getting it on the Xbox One X. On a side, off-topic note, I won't be doing it soon though because I just bought Destiny 2 and am currently actually really enjoying it. I'm pleasantly surprised by it. I'm also planning on getting a 4K TV really, really soon now. By the end of this month or into early next. When I'm done with all that, I might check DSR out. Lastly, for those that do have 4K TV's, how does the game look on it?

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By fatalbanana

I picked it up on launch but I'm a madman and honestly, I wouldn't recommend many people buy it. If you're really into Dark Souls and want to play an active better looking/running version of it or you haven't played it before then you should get it. Otherwise, there is no real reason to pick it up.

The game looks good at 4k but it's not going to blow you away. It is an upscaled version of an old game and that's about it. It looks fine.

P.s. My playthrough of the remastered version was the first time I went through getting deep into the lore. There is a great podcast called Bonfireside Chat. It's a play-along deep dive into the game going level by level digging into all kinds of lore-related things. It's a good time I really enjoyed playing through it that way. Also, Austin Walker makes an appearance when they go through DS3 so +1 for the GB connection.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mattchops

From what I've been told on this through other forum posts, if you already have the original then just download DSFix and play that. It didn't sound like the "enhancements" were worth the price they were charging to play it. You can't get the original on steam anymore, so it kind of limits your options somewhat.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

For current consoles if you've never played Dark Souls 1 before: Yes.
For current consoles if you've played Dark Souls 1 on an older console. Sure.
For PC if you didn't have the original Prepare To Die edition: Sure, since it's your only option now.
For PC if you have the original Prepare To Die edition: Probably put the $20 to something else unless you really care about the updates to multiplayer.

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on some factors. I wouldn't buy it myself because I did my first full playthrough last year, so it's too soon for me to want it. However if you really enjoy the multiplayer, the changes made and the fact that there is a huge player base right now is fantastic. I'm watching a Youtuber play through it and he's getting invaded in areas where I've never seen invasions happen and that is interesting to watch. I just love the renewed interest in the game and am glad a bunch of people are finally playing it for the first time. The more people who experience the game, the better. I honestly think it might be one of the best games ever made!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it on PS3.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

For me having the QoL stuff they put in and a steady frame rate in Blighttown made getting the remastered version worth it.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

It was worth buying the remastered version even though I played the original. More than that, I'm on my 2nd play through cause that's when Dark Souls gets serious!

sp1k3_b0i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the xbox one version of the remaster after having only beaten it once on the 360 in 2013 and I’d say it was worth it for myself. It ran really smooth throughout. It’s awesome seeing Blightown run above 15fps.

At this point since they finally got the game running at an acceptably steady frame rate it’s more of a question of do you want to run through the game again.

As for your last question I’ve played it both on my 4K tv and a non 4K tv and I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference but it still looks really nice for a remaster of a seven year old game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

For me, Dark Souls is an extremely replayable game so "two years ago" actually sounds like more than long enough. Seriously, go for it, you'd be surprised how easily that game can suck you in again and again even if you've got it memorized.

But the answer really lies in the question "Does Dark Souls's abysmal performance on console bother you?" Of all the HD remasters we've gotten over the past few years, I can't think of anything that needed it more than the original Dark Souls. And not only did they remaster it, they bumped the framerate up to a solid, wonderful 60. According to Digital Foundry, that framerate holds up even on the non-X/non-Pro versions of the consoles, and it even holds up in the infamous Blighttown.

Personally, I wasn't going to buy the Remaster because I had the Prepare to Die Edition on PC and I had been using DSFix for a long time. I'd finished it several times that way and for the most part, it was fine. Then I watched some of a Let's Play of the Remastered version and it just ran so much smoother. Yes, the PC version with DSFix runs fine, but there are places where you can still tell that it's a bad port. I never got Blighttown to run smoothly - vastly better than the console versions, but there were hitches and drops here and there. And there were other places where, for whatever reason, my PC just never quite kept up. So I bought the Remaster and whoever worked on that did pretty much everything perfectly. Not only does it run smoother thanks to a better framerate, better frame pacing, and good optimization in general, it looks so much clearer. The Prepare to Die Edition just looked grainy in places, even with the resolution forced to 1080p and even after running through all of the options in DSFix several times to find the best presentation. My understanding is that the console version isn't even a step down from the PC version, so if you're thinking about it, go ahead and pull the trigger.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

On console for sure. I got it on X1X and have been really enjoying it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been playing the Re-master. I would say 'yes' it was worth it, but that's a bit of a personal judgement. The reason for that, excluding the fact it looks mostly deservedly nice, is the subjective value I have for this game. Dark Souls has a vibe I love as much as the mechanizations it does to be such a unique source game for a whole new genre. And that particular is going to vary between me and the next person. The negative is that I have some sort of glitch that keeps me human, so I cannot be tactical in the choice of being hollow.

So, yes.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For pc it's a nope. I bought it again just cause, but it didn't do all that much considered what you already got with DSfix.