Dark Souls 2 Lore Discussion/Speculation Thread (spoilers)

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

So I just watched someone get the reward you receive after completing all three of the Dark Souls 2 dlcs. If you are at all interested in seeing that for yourself, avoid these spoilers.

While some may call it disappointing that the main effect of the upgraded crown is the prevention of hollowing, I really like it from a lore side of things. Had Vendrick successfully managed to acquire the other crowns like he sought to, he would have found the very cure he had spent so long looking for. Fitting, for this ever bleak world.

I haven't seen much else of the dlc, so I can't really comment on the bosses or anything. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#452  Edited By AndrewB

I'll place this in spoiler tags because at the time of this writing the last DLC is fresh, but...

Be it due to budgetary asset re-use or actual lore reasons, Crown of the Ivory King takes place in a world design that looks too much like a copy-paste of the lower bits of Anor Londo (the part you only get to see from afar in Dark Souls) to be coincidence or written off as general architectural design.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vaati recently posted another excellent video regarding the lore of the Dark Souls 2 dlc.

Loading Video...

I loved his speculation on the original motives of Vendrick, and how they might compare to our character's. I also really want to believe that there is in fact a fourth dlc in the works. Something to close off Dark Souls 2 and sow the seeds for the inevitable sequel.

Also, while I wouldn't jump to conclusions, I did find this: http://www.incgamers.com/2014/10/dark-souls-2-dlc4-reference-appears-in-steamdb

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little bit of a necro post, but I'm curious if anyone else was interested in the lore changes that came with the Scholar of the First Sin update?

There's some significant lore (and lore changes) packed into the update, of which I'll include some of the stuff that caught my eye initially.

Aldia is the Scholar of the First Sin, and therefor not the Ancient Dragon.

The Giant Lord that we fight in the memory is the The Last Giant that we fight at the beginning of the game. Hence his anger when seeing the character.

The thing that Vendrick stole from the giants, ultimately leading to the war with the giants, was the giants themselves. He took many of them prisoner, from the insistence of Nashandra, who yearned for their souls.

If you want to see all the changes to item descriptions (changes are in green), they're here:

https://www.diffchecker.com/1kdvi0iq

There's also a new NPC and a new ending, which is easy enough to find on Youtube if you're interested.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

ooooh, this is fascinating. thanks for posting!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little bit of a necro post, but I'm curious if anyone else was interested in the lore changes that came with the Scholar of the First Sin update?

There's some significant lore (and lore changes) packed into the update, of which I'll include some of the stuff that caught my eye initially.

Aldia is the Scholar of the First Sin, and therefor not the Ancient Dragon.

The Giant Lord that we fight in the memory is the The Last Giant that we fight at the beginning of the game. Hence his anger when seeing the character.

The thing that Vendrick stole from the giants, ultimately leading to the war with the giants, was the giants themselves. He took many of them prisoner, from the insistence of Nashandra, who yearned for their souls.

If you want to see all the changes to item descriptions (changes are in green), they're here:

https://www.diffchecker.com/1kdvi0iq

There's also a new NPC and a new ending, which is easy enough to find on Youtube if you're interested.

It was already known that The Last Giant and the Giant Lord were the same thing. It was from the item description on the Giant Stone Axe that said the giants were defeated by an unknown hero. You were the unknown hero that stopped the giants. Wellager confirms that you killed the Giant Lord and stopped the giants. I guess the new text makes it more apparent.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin I do remember it being a popular theory, one that I believed, but I guess I didn't realise the theory had so much information supporting it prior to the update.

There's more interesting stuff in there on Vendrick and the nature of the curse, which I may go into later, but I'd definitely recommend anyone who had an interest in Dark Souls 2's story to have a look. Even if you don't intend on playing the update.

minich15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@sunbrozak: do you still look at this thread? I've made a group breaking discovery

minich15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: does anyone still read this thread? I really would love to share some ground breaking stuff.

Treestump11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a theory that regards the gender of each chosen undead in dark souls "history", in Dark Souls (the first one) I believe that you are supposed to be a girl, because the Light and Death or Gwyn and Nito(both boys) are opposite opposites if you know what I mean, the Life and Dark, or Izalith and "You", I believe that you are a girl because it's two boys and two girls, if someone took this idea then I know that they would take this risky step and turn it into a load of proof for my idea, and in Dark Souls 2 I believe you are supposed to be a boy, the reason I believe this is that in the end of VaatiVidya(Excuse my spelling) video, I think one of the kings in Dark Souls 2 lore videos, he says maybe we have a queen of our own as he shows Shanalotte(Excuse my spelling) and one person in the comments described what if we are a girl, that's when i thought of this and for all those that don't want to play as a girl or boy in "history correct" games then you don't have too, just a long stretch but I know some people that could find a lot of proof(Game Theorists).