Adding Games to Collection by Release... why was this removed?

Wesker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Wesker

I know this might sound anal or really stupid, but I liked the old way of adding games to collection by release. I am really crazy about having everything neat and organized and if my collection shows I have a game with a boxart for a different system, it bothers me. This also applies for duplicates of the same game. For instance, I own Mario Bros for the Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800. Right now there is no way to distingusish them. 

Is there any plans to fix this? 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

The old way? That was like, a year ago. The collection lists and ability to add releases to a list were disabled because they felt it just wasn't very good. Eventually the collection lists were re-enabled (I don't know if it was even intentional), but the ability to add releases to a list wasn't. Another thing people used to be able to add to lists but can't any more: users. Maybe I shouldn't have deleted that list...

Anyway, back on topic, here's recent post from Dave Snider about lists.
@snide said:

" Lists, as well as all the other features on the site, will continue to improve as we notice trends and habits. In general we start off with what we assume most people want out of a feature and try to make the tool easy to use. After we've accomplished that (which hopefully is where lists are at now) we move on to more niche habits like the ones you describe. They are definitely things we'd like to add (just ask Jeff, he's on me all the time about just what you mention).  The hard part is trying to not make things too complicated. Sometimes having too many choices makes for extremely clumsy tools. I'd point to our current guide tools as an example. Powerful? Absolutely. Easy to use? Very much the opposite. It's a tough balance and something you fight with on a daily basis as a designer.  One thing we know for sure. We need to figure out an easy way to add pure collection (hence release data) lists. The problem is that I'd like to figure out a way to do something like this passively (like achievements) vs. an active action like having to add 400 items to a list, and then selecting the specific release version you wanted.  In the meantime we'll do what we always do which is listen to posts like these and look at our own internal data and try and figure out what works best. If you have any ideas on how to build collections tools please let us know. At the same time realize that we need to figure out a way to trim the amount of tabs in our profile pages, not add to it. For veterans of the site, the more features the better, but for new members it just adds a layer of complexity that is hard to get around.  We strive in our features to serve both audiences equally. "