Cover/Main Images for Games

Fuguman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, I'm looking for a way to add a cover image to a game, or several games (this would be the image that shows up in search, or just the main/title image for the game). Not sure how to do this with the new wiki system. I've tried uploading or linking images to the game page's gallery, but they haven't gone through (not sure if that would solve my specific problem though either). Is there an easier way to do this? Trying to make the pages look better. Thanks.

Also, how would I go about removing images I've linked to or uploaded from the 'Images' tab on my profile? More than a few of the pics have never been used anywhere on the site.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Unless you have 1000 points on a page, you need to have a mod do it for you.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#3  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@fuguman: VGK's talking about the background image, the one that goes behind the deck on wiki pages. That's reserved for mods and particularly focused editors for that page. The image I believe you're talking about is the default image which you can change by:

1. Going into the images section of the wiki,
  2. Selecting "Edit tags",
  3. Selecting the image in the gallery you want to make the default (after adding it, naturally),
  4. Pressing the "make default" button which is next to the green "save" button in that image's edit menu.

You do need a certain amount of points to do this, but I think you have enough (and if not you're pretty close, so try again at 1000).

I don't know if we have a fixed rule for what this image ought to be other than box art for the game (if a retail version of the game exists; otherwise use its store/app icon/logo in the case of digital stuff or failing that a screenshot of its title screen with the title of the game clearly displayed). I tend to go with the box art from the earliest known English language release, but I suppose it's flexible.

Fuguman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento: Thanks, that's very helpful. Right, I understand about the header image.

Fuguman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fuguman

Also, for anyone trying to remove images from their uploads using the new system--go to your 'Images' tab, click 'Edit tags,' select the image, then click 'Remove.' Select multiple images to delete multiple images.

bhtav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is extraordinarily inconvenient for short accessory articles, where there just isn't that much to say. Any editor above some total threshold of points should be permitted to add a default image. Additionally, any editor who begins a new article, should be able to add an image upon creation.

Fuguman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhtav: Mento's just referring to the header image, which is more of a cosmetic thing. See this post.

As Mento explains, default images are easy to add. Except, I can't add them. After clicking 'Edit Tags' and selecting an image, I see the green Save button but no 'Make Default' button. I have over 1000 points, but not on any specific page. Is there a different way to do it?

Fuguman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fuguman

Also, as it turns out, none of the images I uploaded to game galleries before I reached 1000 points appeared on their game page, or even appeared as wiki edits that had to be approved by a mod. Recently (now that I'm past 1000 points and can add images without waiting) when I added the tag 'All Images' to a couple of pictures, they completely disappeared from the game page.

Wondering if these are bugs with the system, or normal. Still can't find a 'Make Default' button. If there's a way to do a mod request for that kind of thing, I'll go with that, given there's more than a few games I'm looking to do this with.

bhtav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bhtav

@fuguman said:

@bhtav: Mento's just referring to the header image, which is more of a cosmetic thing. See this post.

As Mento explains, default images are easy to add. Except, I can't add them. After clicking 'Edit Tags' and selecting an image, I see the green Save button but no 'Make Default' button. I have over 1000 points, but not on any specific page. Is there a different way to do it?

This. Is this a bug? I've never seen the "make default" button at all - so assumed it was a policy of some kind.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#10  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@bhtav: @fuguman: Huh, odd. Maybe something's up with the permissions, since they're supposed to automatically activate once a user hits that wiki point total. I don't know the first thing about how this place runs, but they have had a lot of problems of late.

If you want to get a mod to make a default box art image there's a box art request thread in the Delete & Combine Requests forum. Since it's also something most high level wiki contributors can handle, those requests tend to get dealt with quickly.