Delete: A Myriad of Retarded Concepts.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ignor

Before I stop adding concepts altogether I want to do you a favor and put forth every concept I've made that may be perceived as misleading, too subjective, or an access to easy points. My apologies, it was never my intention to clutter up the website:

Aberrant A.I Behaviour: Subjective: depends on a number of factors (glitches, versions, missing files, etc.)
Animal Cruelty: Too subjective, I think...
Another World: Stupid name. Open to interpretations.
Been Here Before: Well... the name really sucks =( 
Big Floating Head: Too trivial. Does not constitute its own page.
Body Disintegration: Applies to a lot of older games. A rather trivial concept.
Boulder Getaway: Easily misinterpreted. There's already a boulder page.
Bully Mode: Stupid name. Open to interpretations.
Casual Game: Too subjective. May be a genre.
Chinese Accent: May be misinterpreted as racist.
Clone Spawner: Open to interpretations.
Clownish Combatant: Too subjective.
Disgruntled Subjects: Open to interpretations.
Downer Ending: I've failed to defend the credibility of this page. Deleting it would be for the best. 
Elite Enforcer: Too subjective (I think).
Environmental Puzzle: Too broad a concept.
Escheresque Room: May easily be misinterpreted.
Evil Old White Guy: May be misinterpreted as racist. A trivial concept page.
Faceless Evil: Does not constitute a concept. Open to interpretation. 
Forging: Interchangeable with Weapon Workshops.
Geriatric Protagonist: Improper name usage. 
Games That Don't Take Themselves Too Seriously: Created at a time I didn't think GB took itself too seriously.
Hasty Operation Sequence: Too trivial. 
Helmet Popping: Too trivial.
Hidden Room: Interchangeable with Secret Area.
Holy Sh*t I'm on Fire!: Improper name usage.
Indian Accent: ^ See Chinese Accent.
Innocent People Die: May easily be misinterpreted.
Italian Accent: May easily be misinterpreted.
Item Container: Nearly every game have some sort of Item container.
Heroic Sacrifice: Too subjective.
Jump Scare Moment: Too subjective.
Kill Quest: May easily be misinterpreted.
Multiple Death Animations: ^See Been Here Before. Easily misinterpreted.
Notorious Zone: Although MattyFM approved this, I feel it could easily be misinterpreted .
Places based around existing ones: ^ See Downer Ending.
Planet Jumping: May easily be misinterpreted.
Puzzle Platformer: A video game genre, not a concept.
Rage-inducing Adversary: Very subjective. Created at a time when I basically thought GB was similiar to TVtropes.org.
Rapid-Fire: Too broad a concept. 
Roaming the Countryside: Too subjective.
Russian Accent: May easily be misinterpreted.
Sad Face Moment: ^ See Downer Ending.
Scripted Events: Too broad a concept. Applies to nearly every game ever made.
Seven Hour War: Is only mentioned briefly in Half-Life 2. Does not constitute its own page.
Shortcut: Open to interpretations. Subjective.
Sleep Disruption: May easily be misinterpreted.
Sounds of Despair: Too subjective.
Starter Weapon: Interchangable with Secondary Weapons.
Subjugated Race: Too similar to slavery
Suggestive Remark: Too subjective.
Sword and Sorcery: This is a theme, not a concept. 
Taste of Power: Open to interpretations.
Tension: Refers to the player's psyche, hence too subjective.
Terror: May easily be misinterpreted. 
The Importance of Friendship: Easily misinterpreted. Name's too long.
Theatrical Villain: Too subjective. 
Thinly Veiled Disguise: Too subjective.
Treasure Hoarding: Easily misinterpreted.
Trees With Facelike Features: Trivial concept.
Vision Obstruction: (Possibly) interchangable with Screen Splatter
Ye Olde English: May easily be misinterpreted.

I think I got most of them but I may be wrong (Also: Sorry about the spelling/grammar).

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

More than half of these are completely fine and acceptable concepts. I don't see the need to delete them.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By sjschmidt93

Yeah, a lot of these are fine, such as item container, casual game, shortcut, etc.

But then there's games that take themselves too seriously, the accents, holy shit I'm on fire, evil old white guy, etc.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Only a fraction of those should go

BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By BrockSampson

How would any accent be considered racist. People who learn English as their second language usually have accents. It isn't a negative thing, just a byproduct of mixing two different sounding dialects. 

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By irishjohn

Most of these look good to me.  But the "Chinese accent".... man.  The use of that image is pretty bloody racist. Ditto with the Indian accent page.

How about "stereotypical accents in games".  You could have sub-categories maybe, of Chinese, Spanish/Hispanic, White North American (a la Resident Evil games) and so on. That's more clear on the concept you're describing.  The current set-up implies that all Chinese or all Indians sound like they are portrayed in those games and look like those images.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#7  Edited By JackiJinx

Most of these items seem perfectly fine to me. Also, too trivial is not reason enough to delete a page.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah really. Its not like they have a finite space for concepts. Videogames in general are trivial, its all relative.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Famov

You know, I hate Wiki nazis. Just because something is open to interpretation does not mean it should be deleted. 

All of the 'subjective' concepts should stay.
Mithlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mithlas

These are a lot to respond to, because some I think are valid concepts and some I agree should never have been formed. One of the major issues I have is that categories are often just a little too broad and should have at least some additional explanation for each game/character tagged within - Wind Waker and Ratchet & Clank  are both in the "New Game Plus" but they act on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Many of them I agree should be deleted:
Aberrant AI, Animal Cruelty,
Big Floating Head, Body Disintegration (although for games where that applies a small mention in the game's page might be fitting), Boulder Getaway (though both this and the "boulder" page seem poorly written), Bully Mode,
Clone Spawner, Clownish Combatant,
Disgruntled Subjects,
Escheresque Room, Evil Old White Guy,
Faceless Evil,
Hasty Operation Sequence, Helmet Popping, Hidden Room,
Notorious Zone (could apply to nearly all games),
Rage-inducing Adversary, Rapid-Fire,
Scripted Events, Seven Hour War, Sounds of Despair (Atmosphere does the job better), Subjugated Race (Slavery does the job better), Subjective Remark,
Taste of Power

A few I think would be better served by clarification and/or renaming:
Been Here Before - In other words, retracing or backtracking?
Chinese Accent - no more racist than any other accent, that's just a fact of characterization. Whether it applies broadly enough to warrant a concept page is my question.
Downer Ending - I'd rename to 'tragic ending', but I think it has as much a place as tragic hero/villain.
Elite Enforcer - subjective and fairly narrow as far as what it could be applied to, I think ' miniboss' fits better.
Environmental Puzzle - this looks like the basis of 'platformers', although the idea should survive as a concept in some form because it doesn't show up in most FPSs but does show up in some RPGs or non-'platformer'-genre games.
Vision Obstruction - I think the name for this sounds more broadly applicable than 'screen splatter'

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho
@wordsgohere said:
" I love how you contribute to all of these, then ask for them to be deleted. "
Holy shit, that's so bonkers. He really did that. Its like split personality or something.
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ignor
@wordsgohere: 
Well DUH! I did submit them in the first place, so I obviously must've thought they were some interesting ideas.
@ryanwho:
Not split personality, paranoia. I got a PM from lordofultima (a moderator) who told me I had contributed to some really "retarded" pages: Fire, E3 2008, BPJM-Indexed and Meme Origin. "maybe I didn't create them but still." And how am I supposed to know which concepts are retarded or not?
tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#13  Edited By tearhead
Fire is NOT a retarded page. This one I will vouch for, it should not be deleted.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#14  Edited By JackiJinx
@Ignor said:
"@ryanwho:
Not split personality, paranoia. I got a PM from lordofultima (a moderator) who told me I had contributed to some really "retarded" pages: Fire, E3 2008, BPJM-Indexed and Meme Origin. "maybe I didn't create them but still." And how am I supposed to know which concepts are retarded or not? "
Isn't lordofultima a forum moderator?
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ignor
@JackiJinx: 
I only know that he's a moderator who sent me a PM, politely suggesting I'd refrain from submitting 'just about anything' as a concept in the future. 
I just became confused when he brought up examples of retarded concept pages I had contributed to.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By rallier
@Ignor: wiki
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I actually like a lot of those. Many of them are fun concepts. Maybe not that important, but fun to keep track of.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Ignor said:
" @wordsgohere: 
Well DUH! I did submit them in the first place, so I obviously must've thought they were some interesting ideas.
@ryanwho:
Not split personality, paranoia. I got a PM from lordofultima (a moderator) who told me I had contributed to some really "retarded" pages: Fire, E3 2008, BPJM-Indexed and Meme Origin. "maybe I didn't create them but still." And how am I supposed to know which concepts are retarded or not? "

You did call your topic a myriad of retarded concepts then listed concepts you claim to be retarded.
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ignor

I was being... tongue-in-cheek...? /=[ 

The point I was trying to make:
-I made a bunch of questionable concepts.
-Some guy asked me politely to stop making questionable concepts.
-Because he never clarified what constitutes a questionable concept (he mentioned "fire", which I don't really understand)...
-I made a list of concepts I'm uncertain of. Some should have to go, some should stay but I am too ignorant/biased to deal with this matter. 
I'll let the community sort them out.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#20  Edited By LordAndrew
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Karl_Boss
@LordAndrew said:
" @Mithlas said:
" Been Here Before - In other words, retracing or backtracking "
Not at all. It should be pretty clear what this is if you read the article.

It's also one of several pages that Dave thought were pretty wikid. "
The concept is very similar to deja vu so I think it should be deleted.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
"The concept is very similar to deja vu so I think it should be deleted."
It may seem similar, but it was not intended to be the same thing.

Sorry for the late response; you quoted wrong and I didn't realize there was an actual post in there.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By toowalrus

I agree that we should get rid of "Sad Face Moment" , Totally.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By mracoon
@Ignor said:

" @wordsgohere: 
@ryanwho:

I don't see a problem with any of the E3 pages. They all contain a lot of detail and are extremely relevant to a gaming encyclopaedia.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Karl_Boss
@LordAndrew said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures said:
"The concept is very similar to deja vu so I think it should be deleted."
It may seem similar, but it was not intended to be the same thing.  Sorry for the late response; you quoted wrong and I didn't realize there was an actual post in there. "

It doesn't matter if that wasn't the intention....the fact that it is so similar is reason enough for it to be deleted.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Kazona

Maybe I'm gonna get the wrath of moderators upon me for saying this, but I think that lordofultima was out of line in sending you a PM like that. What bussiness is it of his what pages you contribute to? If a wiki moderator has approved those pages, then they are valid. And if he disagrees with that, then he should file a request to have them deleted. So if you ask me, you shouldn't even be worrying about what that guy said, even if he is a moderator.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Kazona said:
" Maybe I'm gonna get the wrath of moderators upon me for saying this, but I think that lordofultima was out of line in sending you a PM like that. What bussiness is it of his what pages you contribute to? If a wiki moderator has approved those pages, then they are valid. And if he disagrees with that, then he should file a request to have them deleted. So if you ask me, you shouldn't even be worrying about what that guy said, even if he is a moderator. "
You can make concepts without having to go through a moderator after 5,000 points.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LordAndrew
@Unknown_Pleasures: Deja vu is a feeling, which may not necessarily be caused by a revisit of a location they had actually been to before. If a character revisits a location usually they remember their previous visit, because obviously they have been there. That is not deja vu. That's just being in a a place you had been before.

When Persona 4's main character visited Port Island, the city where Persona 3 took place, he did not feel deva vu. It was an entirely new experience for everyone except Rise, who had been to Port Island before. And it wasn't deja vu for her either, since she clearly remembered that she had been there before.
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ignor
@Unknown_Pleasures said:

It doesn't matter if that wasn't the intention....the fact that it is so similar is reason enough for it to be deleted. "

From Wikipedia: 
"Déjà vu: A French phrase meaning "already seen". Refers to the experience of feeling sure that one has witnessed or experienced a new situation previously."
Although the concepts may look similar, they are not the same.

@Kazona said:

" Maybe I'm gonna get the wrath of moderators upon me for saying this, but I think that lordofultima was out of line in sending you a PM like that. What bussiness is it of his what pages you contribute to? If a wiki moderator has approved those pages, then they are valid. And if he disagrees with that, then he should file a request to have them deleted. So if you ask me, you shouldn't even be worrying about what that guy said, even if he is a moderator. "

He may have read the "Delete: Sad Face Moment" and "Delete: Downer Ending" topics, 
checked out my wiki submissions and made a conclusion based on what he saw there.
He is mostly right, I should take a step back from concept making but *goddamn* how easily some people misinterpret conceptual intentions.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By bubahula

most of those seem tottaly fine,
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@JackiJinx said:

" @Ignor said:

"@ryanwho:
Isn't lordofultima a forum moderator? "
He's a wiki mod. If he really said that, man, he's a dick! I have no idea why he would say that.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Kazona said:

The problem is that Ignor has over 5,000 points, and can create concepts without going through moderation. Personally, my stance on concepts is a fair bit more relaxed than lordofultima's, but Ignor has created a few questionable concepts, even by my standards. He has also contributed a lot of useful data to the site, and I don't think any of us want to see him stop contributing to the site, we just want to see him be a bit more cautious with his concept creation.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@MattyFTM: Very well put. lordofultima should learn a thing or two from you, other than just saying "Hey man, you contributed to some retarded pages!" I find that very unprofessional.
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ignor
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @JackiJinx said:

" @Ignor said:

"@ryanwho:
Isn't lordofultima a forum moderator? "
He's a wiki mod. If he really said that, man, he's a dick! I have no idea why he would say that. "
Him: 
"You submit way too many concepts that don't fit. It would be one thing if you were at least consistent in your mishaps, but it really seems that you'll submit just about anything as a concept. You should probably cool it with them, just a heads up."

Me (being an ignorant ass):
"You're a little late I'm afraid. I got my fair warning months ago, all the subjective ones were before that time.
I thought you mods had already discussed me in your own forum, but if you're new I congratulate you on your promotion. 
But hey, thanks for the warning anyway =)"

Him:
"I've been a moderator since day one, we were discussing you via PM recently, like in the last couple days. Just skimming through your history I can at least find retarded concepts that you're contributing to, maybe you didn't create them but still. *examples*"

Then I basically went on a tirade. Hindsight's a bitch...
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@Ignor said:
" Him: 
"You submit way too many concepts that don't fit. 
Now I'm thinking that he has no idea how to have fun.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Karl_Boss
@LordAndrew said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures: Deja vu is a feeling, which may not necessarily be caused by a revisit of a location they had actually been to before. If a character revisits a location usually they remember their previous visit, because obviously they have been there. That is not deja vu. That's just being in a a place you had been before.

When Persona 4's main character visited Port Island, the city where Persona 3 took place, he did not feel deva vu. It was an entirely new experience for everyone except Rise, who had been to Port Island before. And it wasn't deja vu for her either, since she clearly remembered that she had been there before. "
Makes sense to me.