User Lists: 6

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Grand Prix's aren't locations, they are events. The race courses they are held at are locations, but a countries Grand Prix can happen at different locations. For example the British Grand Prix has been held at Brands Hatch, Aintree, brooklands and Silverstone - four different locations.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By spacetrucking
@MattyFTM said:
" Grand Prix's aren't locations, they are events. The race courses they are held at are locations, but a countries Grand Prix can happen at different locations. For example the British Grand Prix has been held at Brands Hatch, Aintree, brooklands and Silverstone - four different locations. "
But does that make the British GP a game concept ? These GPs might be a concept in real life but they function as nothing more than different tracks or stages inside a game, which would make them closer to a game location. I know its not clear cut either way but the way all these pages have been laid out, it gives us no idea about how these concepts function in a game. Thats why I think just the word Grand Prix itself is better suited here to classify the form of racing and how/why its implimented in games.
trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By trace

I can't help but agree that these Grand Prix pages are unnecessary, especially with little to no content justifying their existence. I'd much rather see the actual tracks each game contains added as locations.

For starters, a country or region Grand Prix is nothing more than a title for a racing event (and considering its widespread usage in various organization and games, I'd argue it's not suitable for describing any one form of racing). We've already established that these events aren't always consistently tied to one track, and in some cases, the naming convention can be rather inconsistent. Several tracks have served as both the location for the European Grand Prix and their respective country's Grand Prix (e.g. Nurburgring, Jerez, and Brands Hatch). To properly maintain a list of games that may or may not feature Grand Prix by name could get rather complicated, and this isn't even considering games that may claim to have a country's Grand Prix while using a fantasy track, due to not having the F1 license or some other reason.

In addition, allowing these events to remain in the system only opens the door for more unnecessary concepts which could bloat practically any racing game that features real-life events. For example, while I haven't played a NASCAR game in a while, I wouldn't doubt that they feature consistently recurring events such as the Daytona 500, Brickyard 400, Coca-Cola 600, Gatorade Duels, Ford 400, Aaron's 499, and so on. Considering the NASCAR Sprint Cup Schedule is 36 races in all, not counting the Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series that these games might contain, we're looking at a lot of possible concepts that will only complicate matters further.

To make these concepts useful and worthwhile would require a lot of real-life history and information, along with information on the tracks themselves, which pretty much requires the tracks be added to locations anyways. Almost none of the concept info would pertain directly to the video games, either, whereas describing the tracks through location pages could help gamers familiarize themselves with the courses and even connect them into other games in which they're featured (which, admittedly, is a bit optimistic and assumes the location pages would have a reasonable amount of information).

While I understand this site's open to excessive information, I just think this is a situation where you could certainly do away with quite a bit of unnecessary bloat. Letting this slide could create many more concepts of this sort with little to no information or justification. 

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97

I think those should be deleted and only the race tracks be added as locations. Take this page for example. I could have called it the "Honda Indy Toronto", but that name is always subject to change, so I called it the "Toronto Street Circuit".