Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

How do you know Wikipedia didn't take it from us?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@darthorange: probably because the top scoring user looks suspicious in that the amount of points he got on that page looks like what you get from writing the entire thing. and he only made significant contributions to two other pages. so I think it looks fishy. not clear cut but, well, suspicious. and that's basically the only thing the user ever did here aside from some other minor wiki things.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rise of Wiki Points

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#5  Edited By Brackynews

It looks like this has still not been addressed. Or if it has this should be locked.

I agree it looks suspicious given the point total putting someone over the free-edit limit. It's also important to mention that a bit more detective work is necessary in these cases, because it's not plagiarism if the same person posts their own writing on multiple sites. I'm not suggesting that's what happened here, but it is in fact possible, and I have done it myself months later, whether wikis or reviews, etc.

But also consider the case of a developer with a Giant Bomb account (of which there are many), who also has information to add to WIkipedia and no marketing team behind them. They won't be doing a whole lot else with their account, and they won't put in flashing lights that they are a developer, but it would reveal some very specific similarities in the writing if it was discovered.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The other buildings include the standard unit factories and defensive structures, as well as unique buildings for each race. The following is a list of the five different districts:"

...and then it goes on to not list any of the five different districts, which are listed as bullet points on the Wikipedia page. Everything else seems to be in the same exact order and same exact formatting.

Also, if you view the editing history of the Wikipedia page, it has been through multiple edits for many years, but all of these are minor edits. None of them are straight up filling the page with all of the information. In particular, the portions about the different civilizations was added to the page in 2007, which is before Giant Bomb even started. Any work that has been done over the last six years on it has been done by multiple different users.

This is definitely a plagiarized page.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just PM it to the mods, yo!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#9 Marino  Staff

@brackynews: @def: @jakob187: I'll look into it. In the future, please contact us directly about stuff like this. Thanks.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By GaspoweR

Also I think you can log in to the wiki page and check for the revision edits there if you have an account. You can check when that edit was made then compare it to when this page or edit was made here in GB.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brackynews

@gaspower: All part of the detective work for sure. But not something we users have been able to do on GB until very recently. Let the mods do their job. :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: Didn't know I was supposed to message mods directly about stuff like this. In the past, we just posted it here in the forums. = /

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sodacat

It's also important to mention that a bit more detective work is necessary in these cases, because it's not plagiarism if the same person posts their own writing on multiple sites.

Actually it is, because after posting anything it becomes the property of Giantbomb and can not be reposted elsewhere. No one ever reads the TOU~

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodacat: From the TOU.

We respect your ownership of User Submissions. If you owned a User Submission before providing it to us, you will continue owning it after providing it to us, subject to any rights granted in the Terms and any access granted to others.

Admittedly the CBSi policies are a bit heavier on the legalese than WM was, but the crux of my point is still valid, especially if the user's work originally appeared elsewhere.

If you're concerned about the paragraph immediately preceding this one, that is pure boilerplate for being able to post on a public wiki.

Slyakagreyfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So what if someone posts information cited from the developers themselves?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21 FinalDasa  Moderator

@slyakagreyfox: Still not allowed. We want our own individual entries. You can obviously base your edit on that info, but still won't allow plagiarism.

Kamui97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I just finished editing Little Fighter 2 and its the same thing. A lot of the text was straight copy-pasted from wikipedia, and the stuff that was changed was either wrong or made no sense. Seems like there's quite a few of these on here.