Same developer, same title, totally different game...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

carolynp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By carolynp

I know that here at Giant Bomb, the same game, released across multiple platforms, will still only have one page, one board and so on (thank God). But what about situations in which the same developer releases games with the same title for different platforms, but those games are actually totally different?

For instance, Sunsoft released Batman: The Movie: The Game (or whatever) for both Genesis and NES. However, the games were totally different. What's the thinking in cases like this? Do we still keep just one page, and on that page discuss both versions? Or should each version get its own page?

This issue also comes up when deciding whether or not to link concepts to a game. I was adding a bunch of games to the Double Jump page the other night, and wasn't sure if I should add Eragon or not, because the DS version, which is totally different from other versions, does include double jumping, while the other versions, to the best of my knowledge, do not.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THIS DIFFICULT QUANDARY?!?!?!

GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By GiantGUS

I believe that in those cases there should be different pages.

Colino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Colino

I believe that as long as it has the same name, it's only a different release.

Check out the Alien Hominid article, it has 9 releases in which 3 or 4 are almost completely different games.

carolynp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By carolynp

Well, I opted to think of them as games deserving separate pages. I created a separate page for the NES game Batman: The Video Game, for instance, because it's totally different from the Genesis game, and way more awesomer.

Adrenaline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 170

User Lists: 39

#5  Edited By Adrenaline
Colino said:
"I believe that as long as it has the same name, it's only a different release.

Check out the Alien Hominid article, it has 9 releases in which 3 or 4 are almost completely different games.
"
So the Xbox Ninja Gaiden and NES Ninja Gaiden should have the same page?
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Daniel

Just talked to Jeff downstairs about this very issue...

Basically, data right now is a complete mess. Once the engineers fix up search then users will have a much easier time finding the release they want (Ninja Gaiden comes to mind as being particularly difficult in search). So, for games like the aforementioned Batman title, even though it was released for SNES and Genesis and the storyline differed slightly, for now we're gonna keep those as releases under the Batman: The Video game general page. They're just TOO much alike and released too close together to be considered different pages. What we'd like to see is what was mentioned in the first post, beefing up the article to discuss the differences between the games. That is where this site has the most potential to shine as a gaming encyclopedia.