Hey, huge props to @bobafettjm for his Weekly Wiki Update blog he did last year, but it appears that he's not doing it regularly anymore. Also, it's probably a good idea to have a dedicated thread to just talk about wiki stuff.
So, this is a place to talk about wiki stuff - anything from what you're currently up to, what you have worked on, what you plan on working on, ideas for pages, wiki questions, etc... Maybe we can even get some of our own wiki tasks organised.
Anyway, I'll start off by mentioning that recently I filled in the article for Polo. Something I knew nothing about beforehand, so I ended up spending a couple of hours scouring the web to find out what I could about this obscure, unreleased...then released, advergame. I went down a huge rabbit hole researching that game.
Things to keep in mind when editing the wiki
- Articles should be written in third-person (e.g. 'the player can turn into a chicken' as oppose to 'you can turn into a chicken').
- Avoid subjectivity - the wiki is not the place to talk about your personal thoughts/feelings/ideas/etc... about a game or subject matter.
- Use correct grammar:
- Be aware of common mistakes, such as confusing its and it's; they're, there, and their; and your and you're.
- Make sure you are using apostrophes correctly: don't not dont, 'multiple chickens attack the player' not "multiple chicken's attack the player", Mario's moustache not Marios moustache.
- Fewer is used when you are talking about countable objects (e.g. 'fewer dolphins' not 'less dolphins'); less is used when you are talking about the amount of something non-countable (e.g. 'less water' not 'fewer water'). Another way of thinking about this is that plural words use "fewer" and singular words use "less".
- Regardless of where you personally live, this is an American site, thus American spelling should be used in the wiki.
- Make sure you double check your spelling when you submit an edit!
A handy spelling/grammar guide from The Oatmeal: