What is the stance on radically different cross-platform games?

Avatar image for captainsidekick
CaptainSidekick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CaptainSidekick

Specifically, I'm thinking of games like The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night, where the GBA release was quite different from the DS version which was quite different from the console, but they all share one page and the article specifically calls out console-specific mechanics. Should the article be broken into multiple sections? Should multiple pages exist?

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By groin
Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#3  Edited By Brackynews
@CaptainSidekick:  I personally think the rule of thumb would be that "ports" share one page, and different games with the same name have their own page.  In both cases that rule applies equally well if they are released 1 week apart or 10 years apart.

The recent Ghostbusters game pages are perhaps a good precedent for this also.
The DS page has it rather unceremoniously right on the deck:  The DS version of Ghostbusters is completely different from the console and PC versions.
Meanwhile the Wii and PC versions are included with 360 and PS3, despite:
-The PC version has no multiplayer.
-The Wii version has an entirely different art style, and 2 player co-op.
Despite those significant differences, it is still the same core game, and the same basic maps and mechanics.  
Those differences can be described in the wiki text, the image gallery will have a Wii specific screenshot folder, and the reviews will be console specific.

I don't actually see where the Spiro article you linked "calls out console-specific mechanics."  But if the games are distinctly different as you say, I would think making distinct and informative pages for those releases would be a good contribution. :)