Why do bands/artists get pages just for having a song on a game?

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shawn

Jeff once said on a discussion about cover athletes/athletes in sports game shouldn't have their own page unless they personally contributed something to the making/developing of the game.

So I ask, why do bands and singers get pages if they didn't personally do anything for the game, but just because the company went out and licensed one of their songs for the in game soundtrack? In my opinion, pages like those should be deleted (ex: Avril Lavigne)

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Black_Rose

They don't unless they have credits in it. Avril Lavigne has credits in GH 2.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demyx

I don't think they do.
But Gwen Stefani lent her voice to Malice so I think she probably deserves a page.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By shotaro

they shouldn't afaik unless they have done something else you don't know about

ike the ones mentioned above or the poison singer who lent his likeness to GH3

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Lies

If you read the thread in the Avril Lavigne forum (or the blurb on the page) you'd know she's credited in GH2, and not as a licensed artist. She was credited in the special thanks section, same way journalists like Jeff were. That earns her a page according to the GB wiki guidelines.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Shawn

I don't think GH2 counts, I mean it's still a soundtrack, she didn't go behind the curtains and actually help build the game.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By hexogen

It does count. Jeff, Brad, and Ryan all have their own pages for the same exact reason Avril does. There is no rule at this time that says people credited in special thanks sections don't get a person page.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#8  Edited By vigorousjammer

Right on, hexogen!

now, pages like the Stanley Kubrick page... those should be deleted...

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By HazBazz

If they're credited in the game other than just licensing a song, they get a page. So loads of people who have done motion capture or re-recordings for Guitar Hero get themselves a page

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ZeroCast

I think what Shawn is trying to say is , unless the artist himself had participated in the development of the game then they shouldn't have a page, but in the case of  Avril Lavigne,she apparently was mentioned in the Special Thanks section of the credits.

On a side note, imagine if Ronaldinho had a page just because he was on the cover of FIFA 09, that wouldn't make sense.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

People are probably just up in arms because it's Avril Lavigne.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They don't get pages just for having their song in a game. Jeff cleared this uphere. In the case of the Avril Lavigne page we had a long discussion about yesterday, she was credited in the special thanks section in Guitar hero 2, and therefore she gets a page. If licensed musicians are credited just for having their song in a game, they don't get a page.

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Giantkitty

[Shawn]
Jeff once said on a discussion about cover athletes/athletes in sports game shouldn't have their own page unless they personally contributed something to the making/developing of the game.
[Jeff : in that thread that MattyFTM highlighted]
>Hey guys, wanted to give you a quick clarification on what we're accepting for Person pages.

Remember Jeff didn't want some people to appear on as a Person page (same goes for athletes), but somebody could appear on a character page. This probably doesn't seem to be the case with Avril, but just a reminder to anyone who might get a bit delete happy.

A person helped make the game, and a character appears in it. People who make songs for games blur the distinction.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Shawn said:
"I don't think GH2 counts, I mean it's still a soundtrack, she didn't go behind the curtains and actually help build the game."
Well your an idiot who clearly didn't read the posts above, shes not credited as a soundtrack but credited in another way(not sure exactly but special thanks im guessing, like jeff,ryan,and brad.)
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By breton
MasturbatingBear said:
"Well your an idiot who clearly didn't read the posts above, shes not credited as a soundtrack but credited in another way(not sure exactly but special thanks im guessing, like jeff,ryan,and brad.)"
That needed to be said for the.. 6th time.. in this thread.