shorthair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By shorthair

Hey, folks.

So what is the consensus on creating wiki pages for engine, tools, and libraries that are used for game development? I'm right now trying to find a list of games that were created with a specific graphics library and am coming up short. On the wiki, there are pages for the unreal engine, and unity, and even for games made with these but nothing about the likes of cocos2d, pygame and even SDL (which is a pretty big one). Was there ever a decision made about adding the likes of these or is it simply that nobody has done it yet?

Thanks

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Not_Rage

I think it's a good idea and you should go for it. And yes, I do think they're not in the wiki simply because no one has added them yet.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I agree, I think it would be great to have those in the wiki. I love specific information on the things that make up a game. I have gone through and added a bunch of things from pinball machines for example.

Avatar image for redactedprofile
RedactedProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By RedactedProfile

To be honest, instead of having the engines fall into the "Concepts" association, I'd like to have a separate "Technology" association, but I guess it all works all the same, it's just not immediately obvious that tech and tools can go there

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By IcyEyes

@redactedprofile: I made a similar request years ago when the site was just getting started for a "Engines" category and this was Jeff's response:

@jeff said:

Concept pages are meant to be a catch-all and aren't specific to in-game concepts. So they should be totally fine for engine pages.

But I agree with you and think a "technologies" category is an even better idea. However, it seems like a lot of this stuff can not be easily modified since they rebuilt the site at Gamespot / CBS interactive. So hopefully the coming site redesign will fix/ address most of these issues.