Different Platform Versions

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By tmthomsen

I saw StarFoxA's Iron Man page and started wondering if that's the right way to cover a DS version of a game. I know they share the same name and have been published as the same entity, but they're completely different games.

Personally I believe those pages should be split up, just like I did on the Max Payne and Max Payne pages. It's kind of a bummer that it clutters of the searching process, but I see no other way of handling this.

How is this supposed to be handled? Should the pages be merged or should a "(Platform)" tag be added to the "lesser" versions?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Karl_Boss

I think the game boy advance version of max payne could have been described in the main max payne page.....that's how wikipedia handles it and it makes perfect sense to me.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

The path we're currently going down is one that that would disallow any such splits. In Max Payne's case, it's actually a pretty faithful conversion, aside from the removal of the dream sequences. I don't think we've ever considered a simple change in perspective to be one of the criteria for a separate page.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By iamjohn

There is no reason Max Payne GBA couldn't be merged with the regular version.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tmthomsen
@LordAndrew: The only thing the GBA version has in common with the standard version is the storyline. How can this not be considered a separate game? It has got a different engine, new art, new sound and different gameplay mechanics - it's a new experience.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iamjohn
@TMThomsen said:
" @LordAndrew: The only thing the GBA version has in common with the standard version is the storyline. How can this not be considered a separate game? It has got a different engine, new art, new sound and different gameplay mechanics - it's a new experience. "
Dude, you're crazy.  It's the exact same game aside from being isometric.  Similar music, the same basic mechanics (run around and go bullet time), same general art direction... it may be a demake, but it's still basically the same game.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordAndrew
@TMThomsen: Just like any game's Game Boy Advance version. Those things had to be changed out of necessity. Max Payne couldn't have been ported straight to the Game Boy Advance. There are few games where that's even possible.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tmthomsen
@iAmJohn: 
I completely disagree. By that definition, Doom 2 and Doom 2 RPG should share the same page as well. Similar music, the same basic mechanics (run around and shoot demons), same general art direction... it may be a remake, but it's still basically the same game.  

@LordAndrew:
I don't see how the hardware limitation is an excuse for not splitting them up. What are about Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark then? Please don't say that they're the same game.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
@TMThomsen said:

" What are about Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark then? Please don't say that they're the same game. "

Okay, I won't say anything about it. 

Damn. I was unable to rest the temptation. I checked the page and it's clear to me that they are different games. The naming is unfortunate, but they aren't meant to be the same. The comparison to Max Payne is invalid.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By rallier

Having only one Max Payne page for those two game would make my mind melt. Those two are in now way alike. 

Great GBA game by the way. One of the rare games i actually finished (granted with infinite health but i did finish it)

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn
@TMThomsen said:
" @iAmJohn: 
I completely disagree. By that definition, Doom 2 and Doom 2 RPG should share the same page as well. Similar music, the same basic mechanics (run around and shoot demons), same general art direction... it may be a remake, but it's still basically the same game.  "
Doom 2 RPG is not based on the story or mechanics of Doom 2 last I checked.  Oh, and a first-person shooter turned into a turn-based RPG is significantly different from a behind-the-back third-person shooter with bullet time turned into an isometric third-person shooter with bullet time.  Again, they're the same game in every way except that.  It is a port.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And handheld port don't get pages unless they're not actually ports (like Perfect Dark, which is a unique game).
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rallier
@iAmJohn said:

" @TMThomsen said:

" @iAmJohn: 
I completely disagree. By that definition, Doom 2 and Doom 2 RPG should share the same page as well. Similar music, the same basic mechanics (run around and shoot demons), same general art direction... it may be a remake, but it's still basically the same game.  "

Doom 2 RPG is not based on the story or mechanics of Doom 2 last I checked.  Oh, and a first-person shooter turned into a turn-based RPG is significantly different from a behind-the-back third-person shooter with bullet time turned into an isometric third-person shooter with bullet time.  Again, they're the same game in every way except that.  It is a port.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And handheld port don't get pages unless they're not actually ports (like Perfect Dark, which is a unique game). "
You can't really say that it is a port, that would imply that the assets were just moved (up or downscaled) to another platform. A remake or reimagining might be the best word to use to describe it.

edit: never mind, though you were going on about Max Payne

edit2: ah actually you are, don't nevermind this then ^^
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iamjohn
@Rallier said:

" never mind, though you were going on about Max Payne "

I am.  It is a handheld port.  They ported the game with no changes in content aside from making it isometric to the GBA and therefore it doesn't deserve its own page. 

By that logic we should give every single GBA Tony Hawk game their own page.  I mean, it doesn't matter that they're the exact same game as the console versions - Vicarious Visions had to program the whole thing and make it an isometric game so it's totally a completely different game!!
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tmthomsen
@iAmJohn:  I am completely stunned that you don't think it's that big a deal to make a third-person 3D action game into an isometric 2D shooter. For the record, I've tried both games and I fail to see how they can possible offer you the same experience. 

To me, they're two different games; it takes more than a similar story and setting to say two games are the same.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rallier
@iAmJohn said:

By that logic we should give every single GBA Tony Hawk game their own page.  I mean, it doesn't matter that they're the exact same game as the console versions - Vicarious Visions had to program the whole thing and make it an isometric game so it's totally a completely different game!! "

Well yes...

Those Tony Hawk games on the GBA where pretty swell too thinking of it.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tmthomsen
@iAmJohn said:

" @Rallier said:

" never mind, though you were going on about Max Payne "

I am.  It is a handheld port.  They ported the game with no changes in content aside from making it isometric to the GBA and therefore it doesn't deserve its own page.  By that logic we should give every single GBA Tony Hawk game their own page.  I mean, it doesn't matter that they're the exact same game as the console versions - Vicarious Visions had to program the whole thing and make it an isometric game so it's totally a completely different game!! "
A port? What? The game is running on an entirely different engine, the game uses new art, contains new level design... nearly everything is different! And yes, I believe the Tony Hawk GameBoy versions should have their own page as well.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iamjohn
@TMThomsen said:

" @iAmJohn:  I am completely stunned that you don't think it's that big a deal to make a third-person 3D action game into an isometric 2D shooter. For the record, I've tried both games and I fail to see how they can possible offer you the same experience.   To me, they're two different games; it takes more than a similar story and setting to say two games are the same. "

Because it is!  Same content, same art style, same cutscenes, same voice samples, same music (albeit reorchestrated), same base mechanics.  It is no different from any other console-to-handheld port, and none of those get unique pages.  Why is this special? 

And for the record, yes, I have played it, because the Max Payne games are some of my favorite games ever.  So I know what I'm talking about.  It's the same game.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By StarFoxA
@TMThomsen: This is the way I have always handled things. See: Double Dragon
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tmthomsen
@iAmJohn: You're crazy and I give up :)

Maybe this can convince you it's not a simple port: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tmthomsen
@StarFoxA: For ports to other consoles, I believe that is the best way to do it.

However, the GBA version of Max Payne is not just an altered version (port) of the PC/PS2/Xbox game - it's a new game written from scratch. That's the point I'm trying to get across.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn
@TMThomsen said:

" @iAmJohn: You're crazy and I give up :)  Maybe this can convince you it's not a simple port: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting "

I don't appreciate being talked down to, thank you. 

I'm fully aware of what "porting" means.  I'm also fully aware that we don't give handheld versions of a game their own pages.  It's the same content and the same base game.  It doesn't matter if the engine is different and that means the game plays slightly differently because of it; they are "porting" the content of the original game down to a lesser system.  By this logic, we should have multiple pages every time someone makes a current-gen to last-gen port or an HD to Wii port, since they most likely had to make a brand new engine to run the game!  No.  That's stupid.  It's the same content; it's the same game.  And perhaps you're not aware of this, but there's a reason we don't do that or make a page for every single handheld port out there.

There is absolutely no reason why Max Payne GBA info cannot or should not be on the regular Max Payne page. 

@TMThomsen

said: 

@StarFoxA: For ports to other consoles, I believe that is the best way to do it.   However, the GBA version of Max Payne is not just an altered version (port) of the PC/PS2/Xbox game - it's a new game written from scratch. That's the point I'm trying to get across. "

Those various Double Dragon ports were made by different people and made from scratch for their respective consoles.  Why don't those get their own page? 

Hell, why don't we make a page for every single version of Tetris out there.  The majority of them are being made on different engines and being reprogrammed from scratch, right?
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tmthomsen
@iAmJohn:
No Caption Provided

I'm fully aware of what "porting" means.   

Excuse me for not knowing that you intentionally misused the word then.

I'm also fully aware that we don't give handheld versions of a game their own pages.

How did you become aware of that? I've never been able to figure it out, hence the reason I created this thread.

By this logic, we should have multiple pages every time someone makes a current-gen to last-gen port or an HD to Wii port, since they most likely had to make a brand new engine to run the game!

No, because they're simply porting the game to newer hardware without the need to make a completely new engine. If they were going to recreate a game in a different manner, I'm sure it would get its own page.

And perhaps you're not aware of this, but there's a reason we don't do that or make a page for every single handheld port out there.

Again, where did you read this? I'm seriously curious if I've missed something obvious somewhere.

Those various Double Dragon ports were made by different people and made from scratch for their respective consoles.  Why don't those get their own page?  

Because nobody has made them yet. As far as I can tell, there are no official rules of this aspect of the wiki. I don't believe a port should have it's own page, since it's... well... just a port.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rallier

I'm absolutely dumbfounded to see this conversation happen...

I've seen odd stuff happen when it comes to people having different interpretations about the wiki rules but this is extreme.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#24  Edited By Marino  Staff

Okay, I understand that the Max Payne GBA game plays differently than the PS2/Xbox/PC version... but I really don't care.  We're spending a lot of effort around here to eliminate unnecessary pages.  By allowing a Max Payne GBA page, we'd be opening the door to having an individual page for virtually every multiplatform release of every GBA, GBC, DS, PSP game.   It should be understood that a handheld version of a console/PC game is going to be different, which is why the differences should be explained on the main game's page.

Having its own page goes against everything we're trying to get accomplished, which you yourself (TMThomsen) have contributed to alot.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rallier

Ok... not liking where this removing "unnecessary" page thing is going now

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tmthomsen
@Marino: Fair enough. I respect the site's rules, but I still think it's wrong.

Having its own page goes against everything we're trying to get accomplished, which you yourself (TMThomsen) have contributed to alot.  

Yeah, but most of the pages I've reported have simply been special editions, compilations or other redundant data. As I stated in my opening post, I really do think it's a shame it will clutter of the database with an extra handheld version of many games, but I also feel it's wrong to merge too many pages together. I guess there is no easy solution and I'll go with whatever the staff/moderators decide.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StarFoxA
@Rallier said:
" Ok... not liking where this removing "unnecessary" page thing is going now "
It's always been standard to keep the handheld and console versions in the same page.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rallier
@StarFoxA: Well that is what having no detailed written down rules about the wiki gets you. For me it has always been standard to add a page for a handheld version when it was different then the console version.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rallier
@Marino: Where does avatar stand under this new rule set that you guys are trying to make?
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#30  Edited By Marino  Staff
@Rallier said:

" @StarFoxA: Well that is what having no detailed written down rules about the wiki gets you. For me it has always been standard to add a page for a handheld version when it was different then the console version. "

My issue with that is that basically every single handheld game is different from its console counterpart.  If I want to know about THPS2, I should have to go to the console page, then the GBC page, then the GBA page.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rallier
@Marino: That is not really the case. There is a clear distinction that can be made with downports, re-imaginings (Max Payne and the Tony Hawk games) and simply totally different games that have nothing to do with the console version (That avatar game)

I understand that you guys are trying to make things simpler but it makes absolutely no sense two to me to put two completely different games on the same page.

Haaa wiki rules, so much fun^^
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iamjohn

And really, if you think every single game that is built on a different engine deserves its own page, please, I invite you to do so.  Here, let's make things easy: let's start with Madden.  If that's what you want to do, than it's your duty to go make a page for: 

• Every single Madden game released for the DS (that's six)
  • Every single Madden game released for the PSP (five)
  • Every single Madden game released for the Wii after Madden '07 (since they're all unique games)
  • Every single Madden game released for the PS2 since Madden '07 (again, different engine than the next-gen versions!)
  • Every single Madden released for any other handheld.  That includes Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance.  I'm pretty sure there were some Game Gear ones too.
So please, do that if you really think having its own engine qualifies it for a game.  And when I flag every single one of those for deletion, we'll see who's right. :P 

@Marino: On a semi-related note, when I was looking up some stuff, I noticed that Madden '09 All Play - the Wii version of that year's Madden - has its own page, while the All Play version of Madden '08 doesn't.  I'd argue that All Play isn't significantly different enough from the base Madden to warrant its own page, but what do you think?  Should we make a page for All Play '08 or delete the '09 one?
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rallier
@iAmJohn:  those are all down ports.

The madden all play games are completely different then the "normal" versions by the way. Quite fun too, well i enjoyed the 5 minutes i spend with it before realising that i had no idea what  i was doing.

edit: actually no you are right they do use different game mechanics, not the PSP ones though.  Do realise there is no right or wrong here, we are in the situation because the staff went for "laissez faire" when the site launched.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iamjohn
@Rallier said:
" @iAmJohn:  those are all down ports. "
Oh?  But all of the games I've listed are built on different engines.  They may share core gameplay concepts, but they are built on different frameworks and for different systems, and therefore by the logic you and TMThompson have been using, they all deserve their own separate page to highlight the differences.  It's no different from the GBA version of Max Payne.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rallier
@iAmJohn: We are not using "different engine" as a qualifier but "different gameplay".
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tmthomsen
@iAmJohn said:
  • Every single Madden game released for the PS2 since Madden '07 (again, different engine than the next-gen versions!)

The engine was downscaled to be able to run on PS2 hardware. That's what is called a port; a porting of software from one instance of hardware to another.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iamjohn
@Rallier said:
" @iAmJohn: We are not using "different engine" as a qualifier but "different gameplay". "
Well then you're argument's even weaker.  One is a third-person shooter with bullet time that involves bouncing around a New York City-based environment and mowing down enemies without the need of a cover system that you view from behind the character.  The other is a third-person shooter with bullet time that involves bouncing around a New York City-based environment and mowing down enemies without the need of a cover system... that you view from an isometric perspective. 

That's hardly "different gameplay."  The perspective may be different but nothing about the core gameplay has changed.  I could install a mod that places a fixed isometric camera into the PC version of Max Payne and - surprise! - it becomes the GBA version.  And you know why? 

Because it's the same game.  The entire of TMThompson's argument was that the fact that it was "developed from the ground up for the Game Boy Advance" (read: different engine) makes it a new game, but now you're going back on that.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rallier
@iAmJohn said:

" @Rallier said:

" @iAmJohn: We are not using "different engine" as a qualifier but "different gameplay". "

Well then you're argument's even weaker.  One is a third-person shooter with bullet time that involves bouncing around a New York City-based environment and mowing down enemies without the need of a cover system that you view from behind the character.  The other is a third-person shooter with bullet time that involves bouncing around a New York City-based environment and mowing down enemies without the need of a cover system... that you view from an isometric perspective.  That's hardly "different gameplay." 
Are you kidding me? You are trying to tell me that a third person shooter and a isometric fixed camera action game have the same gameplay. Themes and concepts yes, but gameplay?

No i can't go on with this...  
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tmthomsen
@iAmJohn: 

Because it's the same game.  The entire of TMThompson's argument was that the fact that it was "developed from the ground up for the Game Boy Advance" (read: different engine) makes it a new game, but now you're going back on that.  

Sigh. I stated that I think separate games should have separate pages. The GBA version of Max Payne is simply a different game than the PC version. I have really no idea why you're trying to argue otherwise; that is not the point of this thread.

That's hardly "different gameplay."  The perspective may be different but nothing about the core gameplay has changed.  I could install a mod that places a fixed isometric camera into the PC version of Max Payne and - surprise! - it becomes the GBA version.

That is one of the most stupid things I've ever read. You seem like a player who lies his focus on a game's story rather than gameplay, and that's totally fine. But for me, and some others, there are other important aspects of a game. The precise mouse movement and bullettime control of the PC version of Max Payne can simply NOT be experienced to the same extend on a GameBoy.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StarFoxA

Guys... there's really no point in arguing this further, since it's been stated previously that the same game on separate platforms doesn't get multiple pages.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iamjohn
@Rallier No, I'm telling you that the "core" differences you see in the gameplay are superficial and do nothing to change the fact that this is a largely unchanged demake of a game, and it does not warrant its own page because of that obvious fact.  You can argue all you want that the fact that it's isometric "changes everything," but it doesn't.  It's still Max Payne (just on a GBA) and it plays exactly like Max Payne (but on a GBA) and just like every other handheld game that plays like a console game but on a GBA, it does not deserve its own page.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tmthomsen

You have literally left me speechless. And with that, I'm going to bed.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iamjohn
@TMThomsen said:

" You have literally left me speechless. And with that, I'm going to bed. "

Believe me, not as speechless as I am by the fact that you think one minor change to a game that is roughly the exact same otherwise means it deserves its own page.  Games are about the whole picture, and when another version is 80% of that same whole picture regurgitated into a slightly altered form (as I would argue almost every handheld version is, Max Payne included), giving it a page is redundant when we could just as easily say on the main page: "oh, and there's also this version; here's the few things that are different about it but other than that it's the same game."  And really, a shooter is a shooter.  It would be one thing if they turned the GBA Max Payne into a visual novel or a pinball game or whatever, but it's just another kind of shooter.  Big deal. 

And really, the fact that the page is so vapid in content except to say "hey this is Max Payne, except it's isometric now!  Crazy!" is just further proof of that.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Video_Game_King
@LordAndrew said:
" The path we're currently going down is one that that would disallow any such splits.
What about games that are quite obviously different in every way, even if they were made by the same guys, like Ninja Gaiden in the arcade and Ninja Gaiden on the NES....and on the SMS....and the Game Gear?
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Karl_Boss
@TMThomsen said:
" @iAmJohn: 
I completely disagree. By that definition, Doom 2 and Doom 2 RPG should share the same page as well. Similar music, the same basic mechanics (run around and shoot demons), same general art direction... it may be a remake, but it's still basically the same game.  

@LordAndrew:
I don't see how the hardware limitation is an excuse for not splitting them up. What are about Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark then? Please don't say that they're the same game. "
Actually your not running around and shooting demons....its a turned-based game....completely different.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tmthomsen
@Unknown_Pleasures: Not any more different than a change of perspective in my book, which was the point I was trying to get across.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Karl_Boss
@TMThomsen said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures: Not any more different than a change of perspective in my book, which was the point I was trying to get across. "
It is a lot different....turning a game like doom into a turn-based game is a HUGE change of pace.....the same can't be said with a simple perspective change.
halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By halberdierv2

i think a table of contents function should be added to pages, so if they have many components, like different platform versions on the same pages, it should be easy to navigate.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StarFoxA
@Halberdierv2 said:
" i think a table of contents function should be added to pages, so if they have many components, like different platform versions on the same pages, it should be easy to navigate. "
The likelihood of that happening is very low, so the moderators and a lot of users from this board have taken matters into our own hands.