Bought on PSN on PS3?

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Hi. I bought this on digital on the Ps3 and was unable to get access to it on the PS4. Does anyone know if it will be downloadable on the PS5?

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I saw a reviewer, IGN I think, mention that when importing data from a PS4 to a PS5 there was an option for transferring PS3 data but none of their PS3 games actually appeared in the list. So possibly no? Xbox is heavily leaning towards Backwards Compatibility for its entire library but Playstation isn't doing so quite as wholly...

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry state of affairs that you would buy a game on digital and not be able to play it on future consoles. I may as well get a subscription service, thus never truly owning a game

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I'm confused. Are you wanting to play the original Demons Souls on a PS4/PS5? Or wanting an upgrade to the PS5 remake? Neither of those are a thing. The only PS3 games that work on a PS4 are ones that have been rereleased to run natively like God of War 3, and you have to buy that again.

It doesn't matter if it's digital or a disc, those games aren't supported for a lot of reasons. Backwards compatibility isn't a given and hasn't been with sony since the PS3.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By bigsocrates

@alistercat: This is mostly true, with the exception that some PS3 games work on PS4/PS5 through PSnow game streaming. This is not running natively but it is a way that lots of PS3 games can be played. However you can't buy those games through the PlayStation store you need to go through a PSnow subscription.

Also there are some games that are crossbuy between PS3 and PS4 so not every game has to be repurchased if you buy them digitally. Examples of this include things like Soundshapes and OlliOlli. This is on a case by case basis though.

Demon's Souls is not cross buy. The new game is a remake and has to be a separate purchase, and the old game was never ported to PS4.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confused. Are you wanting to play the original Demons Souls on a PS4/PS5? Or wanting an upgrade to the PS5 remake? Neither of those are a thing. The only PS3 games that work on a PS4 are ones that have been rereleased to run natively like God of War 3, and you have to buy that again.

It doesn't matter if it's digital or a disc, those games aren't supported for a lot of reasons. Backwards compatibility isn't a given and hasn't been with sony since the PS3.

I want to play the game I bought on PS3 on the PS5. Should have kept the PS3! The PS5 game isn't From Software

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosi83: You cannot play a PSN store copy of PS3 Demon's Souls on a PS4 or PS5.

The only way to play PS3 Demon's Souls on a PS4 or PS5 is with a Japanese Playstation Now account. And I'm not certain it's still on there.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I saw a reviewer, IGN I think, mention that when importing data from a PS4 to a PS5 there was an option for transferring PS3 data but none of their PS3 games actually appeared in the list. So possibly no? Xbox is heavily leaning towards Backwards Compatibility for its entire library but Playstation isn't doing so quite as wholly...

There is a "PS3" filter on the PS5 library list, so I asked Sony PR about it. It's only for PlayStation Now games (which can only be streamed). Bit of a bummer, but not surprising, given what Sony has said about backwards compatibility so far.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@cosi83 said:

Hi. I bought this on digital on the Ps3 and was unable to get access to it on the PS4. Does anyone know if it will be downloadable on the PS5?

Sadly you never will be able to, here it is directly from the horse's mouth

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

Can I play original PlayStation, PS2, or PS3 games on PS5?

No, PS5 will play PS5 games and more than 99% of PS4 games, including PlayStation VR games, only.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@slag said:
@cosi83 said:

Sadly you never will be able to, here it is directly from the horse's mouthhttps://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

Can I play original PlayStation, PS2, or PS3 games on PS5?

No, PS5 will play PS5 games and more than 99% of PS4 games, including PlayStation VR games, only.

I'm starting to accept the fact that I will never actually play a legit copy of Silent Hill 2...

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By djredbat

@cosi83 said:

I want to play the game I bought on PS3 on the PS5. Should have kept the PS3! The PS5 game isn't From Software

That's just a dumb way of thinking it doesn't matter that From didn't work an it. Brad played it today on the live stream and it looks almost identical to the original in regards to combat, enemy placement, attack patterns and so on. I get wanting an easy way to play the original but I think you wouldn't be able to tell that From didn't make the remaster.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers