Bungie's reaction to World's First Raid completion is cool (Raid SPOILERS)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Zevvion

I avoided all spoilers on the Leviathan Raid until I finished it blind which we did last night. I started looking up all the talk I had missed and came across this; it is Bungie at their headquarters watching the streamers who were favored to clear it first play their Raid.

For those that do not know, Slayerage is a Destiny player who was the first to finish Vault of Glass with two people, finished it later solo, finished every Raid since then solo and often does other crazy things alone like finishing the Prestige Nightfall in D2. He never actually got a World First Raid completion though, coming close last time with Wrath of the Machine in second place.

It is quite cool to see how Bungie reacts to his clan taking down their most challenging boss in the game. It caught me by surprise that they were jumping out of their seats and cheering. I guess they just really dig it that people can finish their challenge. If nothing else, I think it is a good showcase of them truly caring about their game.

It took them 5,5 hours to finish it. Good teams that aren't elite usually take about double that +10%, so around 12 hours in this case.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By soulcake

I Haven't tried out the new raid a part from trying to do it solo :D. But i heard it's pretty bad compared to vault of glass ?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: Everyone has their own opinion. I haven't heard anyone of note say it is bad. I think it is one of the better ones myself. Also, the people that still clammer to Vault of Glass I don't think are worth listening to. They forgive that Raid's many, many faults because it was the first Raid they ever did. It sure was something special and therefor always remembered, but to say it is the best is just nostalgia talking.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By soulcake

@zevvion: Glad to hear it's not that bad. O yeah the the raid is bad was based on the Angry Joe review so take that with a grain of salt.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@soulcake: Based on angry Joe review? Really? Why?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: Angry Joe didn't play the Raid as far as I know. He watched one of his friends play it. Either way, I'm sure there are people that will think this Raid is bad for whatever reason, just like all the others have had the same. But it seems most people that have commented on it, have enjoyed it.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion: I think Leviathan is a pretty great Raid except for one caveat. There is a certain mechanic in the final fight that is beyond ridiculous. If you do the Raid blind it's very unlikely it will occur to you to not do a mechanic that seems like a requirement, and said mechanic makes one part of said encounter roughly 4x harder to complete. While not impossible it basically forces zero mistakes for several rotations (which rarely happens) and burn through a stupid amount of ammo on every attempt. Figuring out that hidden mechanic makes the final encounter go from easily the hardest Raid encounter I've ever tried to one of the easier ones. It's pretty silly.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I think Leviathan is a pretty great Raid except for one caveat. There is a certain mechanic in the final fight that is beyond ridiculous. If you do the Raid blind it's very unlikely it will occur to you to not do a mechanic that seems like a requirement, and said mechanic makes one part of said encounter roughly 4x harder to complete. While not impossible it basically forces zero mistakes for several rotations (which rarely happens) and burn through a stupid amount of ammo on every attempt. Figuring out that hidden mechanic makes the final encounter go from easily the hardest Raid encounter I've ever tried to one of the easier ones. It's pretty silly.

I think I know what you are talking about, but we stumbled on that blind. I think it wasn't impossible to discover. The one thing I thought was not easy to understand was the Gauntlet's activation of the force fields. That seemed way far fetched, but turned out to be true. It was one of the few things we looked up.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion: That's funny, I think I was the one who figure that out Blind (I say Blind but really at that point only 3 of us were Blind and the other 3 just confirmed or denied our suspicions of how the encounters worked, so I wouldn't quite call it a Blind run, maybe a Blindish run, haha). What we had an issue with on that part is not having each player grab at least 1 charge and them dying too quickly so we didn't have enough time to slam. We kept wiping just as I was slamming every time. I think it's doable without having your other two players grab a charge but I was on a Hunter (ie, very slow and I'm bad at Hunter Jumps) and I was our fastest runner every time. So we needed that extra 15 seconds or so that having those players grab charge 2 provided.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're talking about calling out the symbols to know which psion to kill, we figured that out after like 3 or 4 wipes. I think saying that mechanic is ridiculous is very hyperbolic. Every psion has symbol and each person in the other world sees a different symbol. The mechanic is telegraphed adequately. It's not a hidden mechanic, it's a core mechanic of the fight.

It's a bummer that your group didn't pick up on it, but that's just a thing that happens when you do blind raids.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Fairly sure he's talking about not meleeing the first 4 Psions that spawn in. If you don't kill them, you don't have to deal with as many adds in the Throne room.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Fairly sure he's talking about not meleeing the first 4 Psions that spawn in. If you don't kill them, you don't have to deal with as many adds in the Throne room.

That's part of it. You only kill the psion that doesn't correspond to a symbol that the people in the other world see. Once you put that together, it's obvious you don't have to kill any psions until people in the other world start calling out symbols.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Right, but 4 Psions spawn injust before you get sent to the Mind Dimension. You can kill these Psions to get heavy ammo, but doing so causes more adds (in particular more orange bars) to spawn during the ensuing fight in the Throne room. When your Throne team comes back to the Throne room, there will be another 4 Psions to kill, specifically the ones your Mind team calls out. If you don't kill the 4 initial Psions, you fight fewer adds and it makes the Throne room fight more manageable.I assume his team was like mine and thought we had to kill all the enemies before being teleported but that's not the case at all.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: @two_socks: Exactly, we were under the assumption that not killing all 4 Psions before the Mind Dimension would wipe the entire team right there, just like it would have in the first and third encounters. Then going forward you only killed the non called out Psion. So we were in there longer than I thought because apparently that final encounter took us about 4 hours to complete (only 30 minutes after we figured out the no Psion kill thing). Funny thing is we easily two cycled him after we found that out by going 2-4 because the Throne room went from a Nightmare to pretty easy. We were easily getting stacks of around 80-90 each round. We spent more time tonight running around the tunnels finding chests and junk.

Also, I kinda feel like I'm just randomly spoiler tagging random things that may or may not have anything to do with the Raid at all... If it doesn't make any sense it's because I'm tired and should be asleep right now.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@two_socks: What @ll_exile_ll was saying was that the initial four Councilors are part of the encounter. I am not saying we get everything correct each time or even quick, but at some point you should be able to figure out that the Councilors you are not supposed to kill during the shadowphase are also not supposed to be killed before that. We absolutely banged our heads against the wall at some spots because we didn't properly test our own hypothesis and just assumed it was correct, but that doesn't mean the mechanic was hidden. It was pretty obvious in hindsight and that applies to this as well. At some point the idea that you shouldn't kill the guys you're only supposed to kill a certain one of shouldn't sound that crazy.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn

They gotta be thinking "we playtested this but wow, i really hope something doesn't break terribly at the last moment."

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By two_socks

@zevvion: Ah okay, I was just misunderstanding what he was saying then, apologies! For what its worth my team had the same problem as hestilllives, but at that point in the raid we were mostly on auto-pilot and if an enemy showed up we were killing it regardless.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look forward to playing this once i'm hella overleveled in a year.