Can we clarify the "ten year plan" thing?

• 64 results
Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@starvinggamer: Where's the massive part ? People need to stop perpetrating this idea that any game that "has a lot of people playing" is an MMO. MMOs are games designed around the idea of a lot of people sharing an experience together, not a lot of people playing in seperate small instances (that's just a normal multiplayer game). Destiny is an online RPG-shooter. There's nothing more to it. Gameplay is shooter, the construct around it is an RPG and you play it online.

The only reason anyone would think it's an MMO is because the multiplayer RPG genre got eclipsed by it's more popular MMO cousins, to the point that it's barely recognized as existing.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@ares42 said:

@starvinggamer: Where's the massive part ? People need to stop perpetrating this idea that any game that "has a lot of people playing" is an MMO. MMOs are games designed around the idea of a lot of people sharing an experience together, not a lot of people playing in seperate small instances (that's just a normal multiplayer game). Destiny is an online RPG-shooter. There's nothing more to it. Gameplay is shooter, the construct around it is an RPG and you play it online.

The only reason anyone would think it's an MMO is because the multiplayer RPG genre got eclipsed by it's more popular MMO cousins, to the point that it's barely recognized as existing.

"Kinda-but-not-really"

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It is a little confusing. Also, initial responses on these forums make it sound like this game doesn't have the legs to stick around for ten years.

It really doesn't have the legs to stick around for 10 days depending on who you ask.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: But there's nothing about the game that's "kinda-but-not-really" MMOish. Take a look at the list of things you put up and think about how many of them are RPG traits, not MMO traits ? Sure, we're used to the idea that MMOs are RPGs, but that doesn't make all RPGs into MMOs.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#55  Edited By StarvingGamer

@ares42 said:

@starvinggamer: But there's nothing about the game that's "kinda-but-not-really" MMOish. Take a look at the list of things you put up and think about how many of them are RPG traits, not MMO traits ? Sure, we're used to the idea that MMOs are RPGs, but that doesn't make all RPGs into MMOs.

@starvinggamer said:
  • Public hub area featuring quest-givers, vendors, and a bank (MMO's)
  • Large zones segmented into public areas and instanced/phased areas according to storyline progress (MMO)
  • Instanced dungeons balanced for a full party (MMO)
  • Grindable generic kill X monster or collect X things or go here and click on a thing quests (Few RPG's, Most MMO's)
  • Daily quests (MMO)
  • Faction/vendor rep and currencies (MMO)
  • PvP vendors with PvP gear (MMO)
  • Mounts with level-gated speed upgrades (MMO)
  • Loot-driven character progression with color-coded rarities (Few RPG's, Most MMO's)
  • Gathering/crafting (Few RPG's, Most MMO's)
  • Customizable talent progression (to a limited degree) and class specializations (RPG's & MMO's)
  • End-game content post level-cap featuring raids requiring multiple full parties (MMO)
  • Sitting/Waving/Pointing/Dancing (MMO)

So one of them (talents & class specs), and a few others that appeared first in RPG's (because RPG's came first) but are hardly ubiquitous or even common across the genre. And talent trees didn't even become widely popular in either genre until after WoW. On the other hand, a majority of those traits only appear in MMO's and do so almost without fail.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ares42

@starvinggamer: clearly we have played very different RPGs and MMOs =) I guess a better way to articulate my question would be to ask how many of those things would you see in an MMO that isn't an RPG ?

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dudes chill

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Any word on how the game is selling so far? For some reason I imagine Destiny being the Heavens Gate of video game and pretty much fucking up the whole AAA system (similar to what heavens gate did to hollywood).

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

craigieh28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By craigieh28

It's a skeleton of a game. It's fun but hollow.

Spot on box quote right here...

schnoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By schnoo

@ares42 said:

@starvinggamer: clearly we have played very different RPGs and MMOs =) I guess a better way to articulate my question would be to ask how many of those things would you see in an MMO that isn't an RPG ?

Actually a better question would be how many would you see in a RPG that isn't an MMO. This game is designed like an MMO but with all the good parts like social interaction and exploration removed.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

This is a fantastic post, OP.

ShmeepShmop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda funny coming back to this post 10 years later after the game really did a 10-year plan and seeing how not only wrong this post was, but how loudly wrong everyone was in the replies.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@shmeepshmop: Except for the part about it not being an MMO.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shmeepshmop: Can you explain, im out of the destiny loop, i do remember at release ( so weird that its 10 years ago) people were mad about content, it has so much now i think slowly getting it was best as going in now im put off by all the things to do...though at release there wasn't enough so i get it, humans are humans gotta take time to create. I also wonder if a destiny 3 is even viable anymore. I know the idea is always keep going with any franchise atleast till 3 and you dont wanna lose control over it...but yeah destiny 3 would need so much at release and like fortnite or Assassin's Creed forever (the leak idea i just came up with where Assassin's Creed becomes a big hit and just updates with more assassins in one open world mmo like game) you soon get your fanbase and cant change. Overwatch 2 was such a failure because its just hard to go to a second. You cant get rid of all the old stuff, go completely new art style (in the past you could but graphics are cartoony and good enough already it would be like a realistic ps5 mario gross). SO im just wondering is destiny 3 ever possible, do you just blend them all together like overwatch...