• 64 results
Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Legion_

So I've been running around in Destiny and enjoying quite a bit. It's certainly better than a lot of people give it credit for, at least I think so. But I do love me some good all fashioned grind, and I'm not the hugest fan of slow stories in video games. I just wanna play damn it!

Anyway, running around in our solar system, I always thought I heard some familiar voices from the various NPCs and quest markers. With that in mind, I went to IMDB and checked out the voice cast, and holy hell that is one cast.

Here are some of the biggest names:

• Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones, X-Men: Days of Future Past)
  • Bill NIghy (Underworld, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean)
  • Lauren Cohan (The Walking Dead, Archer)
  • Gina Torres (Suits, The Matrix)
  • Lance Reddick (The Wire, Lost)
  • Nathan Fillion (Firelfy, Castle)
  • Lennie James (Snatch, Colombiana)
  • Shohreh Aghdashloo (X-Men, House of Saddam)
  • Peter Stormare (Prison Break, The Big Lebowski)
  • James Remar (Dexter, Warriors)
  • Erick Avari (The Mummy, Planet of the Apes)

That's a pretty damned impressive list. A list that begs the question, why in gods name did Bungie hire that many famous people for a game with barely any story at all? I don't mind it at all, in fact I like it a lot, but it just doesn't make a lot of business sense. At least not to me.

This kinda makes me wonder just what the hell happened to the story in Destiny. I think it's pretty obvious that it was supposed to be something bigger in scope than what you find in the final product. Do you guys think they've just cut a lot of stuff, maybe holding it for DLC, or do you think that the amount of story content in the game today reflects what Bungie originally intended?

At least to me, it seems to be at odds with the statement that they wanted to create a universe that would last for ten years or whatever, and rival Star Wars and Star Trek. I actually like the universe a lot, but the problem is that there's just not a whole lot of it. Still, Destiny is pretty damned good. Four out of five stars.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

They should have gotten more voice actors and less actors. Would have saved them money and they would have given better performances.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: I don't see the point of hiring more voice actors when there aren't more characters or lines of dialogue to actually voice.

The actors did fine for what they were asked to do, but it is strange to hire such notable actors and hardly use them.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

What the FUCK. Who are these people voicing?!

There are like 5 characters in the game, and I use that term loosely.

Avatar image for thewonderwaffle
thewonderwaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure there was zero Nolan North. Just imagine if you had replaced Peter Dinklage with Nolan North. Like, if you're going to have one voice actor carry your entire shoehorned under-baked story, why would you not have that guy be Nolan North?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@corruptedevil: I don't see the point of hiring more voice actors when there aren't more characters or lines of dialogue to actually voice.

The actors did fine for what they were asked to do, but it is strange to hire such notable actors and hardly use them.

I meant instead of.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zeik

@theht: Mostly the vendors. Nathan Fillion is the Hunter vendor for example. (They also occasionally introduce missions.)

It is kind of funny to have all those famous people voicing item vendors, admittedly.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Pretty sure Gina Torres is the Warlock vendor. I was swearing that her voice was in the game, and I'm glad to see that I was actually right.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: Yeah that's her. And Lance Reddick is the Titan vendor. I love that man's voice.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking

@theht said:

What the FUCK. Who are these people voicing?!

There are like 5 characters in the game, and I use that term loosely.

Peter Stormare and James Remar both contact the player via radio for patrol missions. It is a weird choice, considering how little they use these actors, to have such recognizable voices. But, I'm guessing with that Activision budget Bungie was able to really lean into their habit of putting notable voices in minor roles. Look at the people who've voiced Halo soldiers sometime, it's just as weird.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The only actor I picked out when playing (besides Dinklage) was Peter Stormare, only because his voice is so distinct. I hate to see one of favorite actors' talents wasted like that, though.

I honestly don't know what Bungie's intentions were with the story. They spent so much time talking it up over the past few years only for everyone to realize that none of it is actually in the game. I don't understand why they would blow a good portion of the budget on a stellar voice cast when their game has no real characters to speak of.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm pretty sure Bill Nighy is NOT in the game, despite what you think.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_: Yeah, it's a head scratcher. To their credit, I think they've built a pretty unique and cool universe, and I like a lot of the ground work. Let's just hope they manage to build more of the lore into the game. This game is dying for a Mass Effect style codec, and some more exposition in the game itself.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It 100% *is* Nighy, and his performance sounds poorly-directed.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gina Torres (and seriously, how do you not list her as "of Firefly") is the 'Lock vendor, Fillion is the Hunter vendor, and Lance Reddick is the Titan vendor.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknessmyoldfriend: Never seen Firefly. Only thing I know about Firefly is that Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion were involved.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_: Those grimoire cards are basically the equivalent of a codex. Not allowing you to view them in-game was a bad decision though.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't need the second half of that sentence when you are talking about Destiny.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Legion_

Well, reached level 20. I bought a PS4 and Destiny yesterday. I've been playing a whole fucking lot. I really, really like this game. Too bad that it's gotten somewhat of a bad rep. Hope that doesn't affect the series going forward. Not in a negative way that is.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OurSin_360

All the monies went into voice cast... explains why everything else is so bare bones. The non existent story and terrible script makes it the biggest waste of money i can think of.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zeik

@legion_: They've invested way too much money (and made way too much money already) for it to have any real negative affect on the future of the series. The backlash isn't even significant enough to dramatically change what a sequel might be, although hopefully it is just enough that they feel need to step up their game going forward.

@oursin_360: With the games enormous budget they would have had to have paid them ridiculous amounts of money for it to actually affect other parts of the game. They clearly had plenty of money to throw around.

jfried12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jfried12

It was cool little finds hearing all of these people when starting out in the game. I still love hearing Nathan Fillion direct me to patrol missions (also makes me miss Firefly since he has that attitude in his voice).

I have to think they are trying to make this thing last as long as they have spoken about and doing it with the DLC content. I have been loving the game (more than most) and it's the first thing me and my friends have had to play together online since borderlands 2 / halo 4, which is probably overshadowing the game for now.

I think Bungie has good intentions with the concept of storytelling over a long period of time, and it might work out to be cool in the end, but for now I keep wanting more of the story. I LOVE the universe they have built, and the mythology and races, etc.. but I want more. With these Queens bounty, just one more cutscene could help with the story. Also creating a destiny app for the Xbox would probably help people with reading the Grimoire cards.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not on his Wikipedia page.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently Bill Nighy is the Speaker. It sounded a whole lot like Terence Stamp to me.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@mooseymcman said:

Apparently Bill Nighy is the Speaker. It sounded a whole lot like Terence Stamp to me.

I stand by my "it's not on his Wikipedia page" stance.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is barely any character in this game... I do wonder? Who are they even voicing?

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: It is on his IMDB however. That is just how mindbogglingly underused these actors are in this game. Even with as big as the game was his wiki still hasn't been updated because the natural response is "What? He was in that? NO. I don't believe your lies!"

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce: I won't deny that it sounds like him, but I still don't buy it.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: Are you serious, or are you just trolling? It's him. Like, seriously, google is your friend.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@mooseymcman: He is guy number 2 in the cast credits.

Loading Video...

The video starts at Voice and Motion Performers.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By gaminghooligan

Where were like half of those people? There are maybe 4 characters in the entire game excluding the player character. Also I get the feeling these actors/actresses left the studio having no sense of what those lines meant in the context of the overall project. I mean Dinklage is no stranger to giant fantasy craziness and seems to be the kind of actor that really get's into the character's skin. Example (Spoilers for Game of Thrones)

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really baffles me that they hired known screen actors to voice fucking vendors. The only person who spent more than a day in the studio had to be Peter Dinklage, and he's completely wasted on a souless robot. Can you imagine how much bearable the story missions would have been if you had a companion with a personality? Like, say Halo's Cortana? Or if it had characters at all. Or a story at all. It just seems kind of sad to have such beautiful worlds, filled with fantastic art and music, but are still boring as shit.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By csl316

Guess Michelle Rodriguez won't appear til Destiny 2.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed Claudia Black is also in there too.

With all of that talent there should have been a full blown story like Halo. Looks to me like they just did it for the name dropping. I was wondering why Nathan Fillion was tweeting about Destiny so much. Now I know why....

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karkarov
@legion_ said:
  • Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones, X-Men: Days of Future Past)
  • Bill NIghy (Underworld, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean)
  • Lauren Cohan (The Walking Dead, Archer)
  • Gina Torres (Suits, The Matrix)
  • Lance Reddick (The Wire, Lost)
  • Nathan Fillion (Firelfy, Castle)
  • Lennie James (Snatch, Colombiana)
  • Shohreh Aghdashloo (X-Men, House of Saddam)
  • Peter Stormare (Prison Break, The Big Lebowski)
  • James Remar (Dexter, Warriors)
  • Erick Avari (The Mummy, Planet of the Apes)

Dinklage is Ghost
Nighy is the Speaker
Cohan is the Exo Stranger
Torres is Ikora Rey AKA: Head Warlock / Warlock Vendor
Reddick is Commander Zavala AKA: Head Titan / Titan Vendor / Leader of the Vanguard / Big blue bald guy
Fillion is Cayde-6 AKA: Head Hunter / Hunter Vendor
James is Lord Shax AKA: Dude with crazy horn helmet / Crucible Armor vendor / Head of the Crucible?
Aghdashloo is Lakshmi-2 AKA: Leader of the Future War Cult / FWC Vendor
Stormare is Arach Jalaal AKA: Leader of Dead Orbit / DO Vendor
Remar is Executor Hideo AKA: Leader of New Hierarchy / NH Vendor
Avari is Master Rahool AKA: The Cryptarch

Hope that clears it up :P. There is also the people who do all 15 lines the player character gets and the Queen / Her Brother.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By crithon

maybe a large chunk of their performances was cut out?

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By a_e_martin

@mooseymcman said:

@zolroyce: I won't deny that it sounds like him, but I still don't buy it.

You can watch the credits in the game. His name is there.

EDIT: @damswedon beat me to it. Watch the video above.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By Ghostiet

I'm pretty sure there was zero Nolan North. Just imagine if you had replaced Peter Dinklage with Nolan North. Like, if you're going to have one voice actor carry your entire shoehorned under-baked story, why would you not have that guy be Nolan North?

Troy Baker.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How funny would it be if tom Hanks was a innkeeper in wow. It would make no sence just like thuis game.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I would never have recognized Nathan Fillion as the Hunter Vanguard. Jeez.

Anyway, great to have him back in a Bungie game (spread the ODST/Firefly love!).

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hmm, Fillion probably came cheap since he is pretty friendly with the Bungie guys :P

However the rest I can't for the life of me, see how they could justify getting those people and then not doing more with them than what is in the game.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mooseymcman: Holding a Wikipedia page as the arbiter of whether something is true or not is a bad habit you shouldn't have.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@honkalot: Agreed, but it's far from the worst habit I have that I shouldn't.

Rothbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably just another symptom of the gross overspending rampant in the AAA market these days. Honestly, one of the only draws of Destiny is the production value. If the same kinda game came out on Steam for, say, 35 bucks and looked a quarter as good, there wouldn't be so many people fussing over it. It's just so odd to see the recent stream of mediocre to pretty decent games coming out with immense hype engines behind them.

Should have just hired Nolan North to fill in at least four of those roles anyway, hah!