Is the DLC worth going back to despite already having played Destiny 2?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm currently in a Destiny mood so I reinstalled Destiny 2. I got the game late and in a bundle with the first two DLC's so I've played everything other than Forsaken. I may want to get Forsaken (what did you think of it?) That said, I'm also curious if I should jump back into Destiny 1 and check out everything that game has to offer. The last time I played it was when the game came out, and although I thought gunplay was more competent Bungie fps gameplay, and the sound design and visuals were great, there wasn't a lot of content there to hook me so after the credits rolled I never went back. That's also the reason why I didn't play Destiny 2 at launch; it wasn't until July of last year that I played through all of Destiny 2 and I had a really good time. I like Destiny 2 quite a bit. Something I think might also be worth mentioning is that I do not play these games co-operatively or in any kind of multiplayer; I just go it all solo. Currently, in Destiny 2 my power level is 343 so from what I understand, I'm just above the level necessary for Forsaken?

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By tds418

Hmm, well I'm way into the co-op side of Destiny so it's hard for me to say for you specifically but Forsaken is one of the best releases in the franchise (including D1) so if you're enjoying D2 it's probably worth picking up. Both of the new planets are great; the Dreaming City is one of the best environments Bungie has created for Destiny and it will take a fair amount of time to get to it and see what it has to offer. I will say though that fairly early in the Forsaken campaign you'll need to be around 400 power to progress so you may be just a tad under-powered (the max in Warmind, which preceded Forsaken, was 385). Shouldn't take too long to get to the power necessary though.

Edit: Either way, I would pick up Forsaken rather than going back to D1 DLC. D2 has seasonal events every couple months, usually with unique activities, and a fairly vibrant community. D1 is never updated so it feels pretty static at this point. And I don't think the DLC for D1 is discounted very much so it will basically be the same price for Forsaken.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@tds418: Okay, so as I was typing this up (which I had just erased some of) I had bought Forsaken. It's on sale for $19.99 so now would be better than after that obviously (on the Xbox One X, ten days left until it goes back up in price). What about both though? I am actually reinstalling Destiny 1 just check it out; see how it is now compared to originally. I know they've updated it beyond just adding DLC, so I want to see how it is. I'm not really into the monthly stuff. I just like seeing things through and then if I enjoy what I played, I just play more of that same stuff.

Huh... I am not entirely sure I even have my save file from when I played Destiny 1. I might have to start over, and if I don't, it'd be really interesting to see what my character is like, ha ha. That said, maybe I won't mind starting over if I have to. When it comes to Destiny 1's DLC do I just have to buy The Taken King and Rise of Iron then I'm set? I still haven't decided whether I'm getting it or not, but I thought I'd ask just in case. The Taken King is $19.99 while Rise of Iron is $29.99.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I'm currently playing Destiny 1 again, and wow I'm actually surprised. The game visually holds up well despite it not being 4k nor using HDR. What perhaps surprises me more is that the game looks almost exactly like Destiny 2. The UI and all that. As for my level, again, I'm surprised and it shows I quit directly after I finished the story because I only sit at level 19 with 'current light' nearing 87. Ummm. I might actually play the first game a bunch before jumping back into two. Maybe, but I want to explore some and see if I'm taking to it. I already kind of am since it feels almost exactly like two.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Destiny 2 killed the franchise (and genre) for me.

That said, Destiny 1 was underwhelming at launch, but Taken King and Rise of Iron were fantastic. I’m not sure where it stands these days...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@nutter: Was it just due to its launch, or everything? I feel like developers of these kinds of games shouldn't be able to just get away with making a bare-bones game, only for it to truly come into fruition with DLC. Luckily I played the game when there was a good amount of content so I enjoyed it. Going back to one, I'm also enjoying it and may buy the DLC. I just don't know if it's worth purchasing right now. Plus, I don't want to get too off-topic here, but I haven't been able to play nor sleep since around 12 PM yesterday since last night around 1 AM my dog's health problems came back up. I'm pretty exhausted physically and emotionally and the thought of playing games just hasn't been of importance. I want to, but I want to look after my bud.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I mostly take issue with games as a service, needing DLC to “keep up,” obtrusive micro-transactions, and the game itself changing so much over time.

That last bit really killed Destiny 2 for me. They were REALLY on to something with Taken King and Rise of Iron. I felt like Bungie just needed to slightly adjust a few things to really nail the formula. They went way too far with their changes and the game was something that I thought lacked longevity.

I honestly can’t remember my full list of grievances, but they were enough that I’m pretty much done with anything that is a live game at its core. From what I can remember, you leveled too fast, loot scaled too well, there was no real investment that couldn’t be easily undone...everything just got less interesting.

I want to say Strikes weren’t nearly the focus they were in Destiny 1. Nightfalls had an obnoxious timer (I LOVED spending 1-2 hours crawling through Nightfalls with very little ammo in Destiny 1. Raids remained impenetrable for my busy friends and I (three player game, suddenly you need six folks, no matchmaking, arbitrary time limits, etc.). Raids were always like that, though.

Anyhow, it wasn’t just Destiny. I remember really being into Division 1 until they changed a ton of systems in a short window a few months after launch. I tried playing, didn’t want to take the time to re-learn everything, and after 30 minutes we were probably on to Overwatch or Rocket League or something. I never went back to Division. I’m too busy to learn and re-learn games.

Throw on top of that the mechanical grind of games in the genre, the time spent having meaningful experiences and progression vs. the time running on a treadmill, and I’m just not interested.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

They removed timers for nightfalls pretty quickly and loot got much more interesting with Forsaken. I'm not saying your grievances with launch D2 aren't justified (I had plenty too) but Forsaken feels more like a continuation of Taken King/ROI with vanilla being an unfortunate detour.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@tds418: I just started playing Forsaken last night, finally. No, the power level was about 330 to start it so I was just fine. It's been a breeze for what I've played, but the level did go up based on the mission I think. The one I finished before quitting was level 340 I believe. So reading a bit into it, the level cap does go up so I may have to just grind a bit at some point. So far I'm liking what I've played, although jumping straight into it kind of felt weird story-wise; almost as if I should have gotten some kind of backstory beforehand, but it didn't feel like I did. Also, I really hadn't looked into it, so the protagonist talking was a total surprise. When you could only hear a voice and wasn't showing who was talking then it showed him, I was expecting a character to walk out from behind him as if they were joking about the protagonist talking, but then his lips moved with a voice coming out of his face. That's cool. I was just thinking about his silence before that too. Maybe he'll be a fully voiced character in the future Destiny games/content.