I don't want to get excited for this game

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Giant_Gamer

When i saw the trailer, at first i thought that this was DmC 2 with a remodeled version of Dante with a silver wig to satisfy the angry fans and for some reason Dante now has robotic arm to add more versatility to the game instead of the whip. Then, there was a short cut where Dante jumps on the side of rocket just like he did in DMC3 but it didn't seem like he was having fun with it, it looked as if Capcom was saying we have done our homework and we'll make our new version of Dante closer to the previous one. Then, Dante gave us his back and the title Devil May Cry 5 came up on the screen and shortcut came after with a light bearded Dante (just like in DMC4) almost running over the camera.

So this means that the guy i thought was Dante is actually Nero and the sidekick is a new character in the series but where is Kyrie? Will we see any of the past supporting characters in this game?

I'm a guy who unlike most loved DMC4 and beaten it a couple of time both on PC and the Xbox 360. However, i didn't like the style, characters and combat of DmC and couldn't find any likeable aspect that made want to beat it.

I don't want to get excited for this game because from the trailer the combat didn't seem as fluid as DMC4 and it looked a lot like DmC. Additionally, we have Nero trying to imitate Dante as i find the scene where jumps on the side of a rocket is more like him trying to prove that he can do it instead of Dante where it looked natural for his character at the time.

I'm also not sure about the style yet, but it looked a lot like DmC.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think everyone at first thought this was Ninja Theory's DmC 2. The trailer was all kinds of awful to me. I will keep my expectations super low for when they show a good amount of gameplay. Hopefully I will be surprised.

mcbisquick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mcbisquick

I'm pretty sure the trailer shows that something happened with Kyrie during whatever deal led to Nero losing the demon arm. At least, that's what I'm assuming.

I was hoping for a DMC 5 for a long time. I think 4 was really good, and 3 is one of my favorite games. While not terrible, I thought DmC was kinda unnecessary, and also carries a lot of problems in both gameplay and tone. So I feel like I should be doing backflips over the fact that they're finally making the game I wanted, but yeah...this trailer wasn't great to me either.

This is nitpicky for sure, but the characters just seem so damn unpleasant to look at. It kinda reminds me of when they released a tech demo pre-DMC4 where Dante looked kinda off there too. He got tweaked, and people got used to the new look by the time the game came out, but this seems like they're trying to move it more towards that DmC look. Where things might be more realistic, but that actually means it's pretty hard on the eyes and lacks any noticeable style to me.

The brief bits of gameplay looked just okay to me, but you also have to remember that DMC 4 came out ten years ago. So there's really no guarantee at this point that they can capture the magic of 3 and 4, or even if they're going to try to. I'm not super excited based off what they showed, but they're at least trying to make what I wanted. So no, I can't say I'm excited for anything beyond the title at this point, but I'm willing to keep an open mind.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I thought it was Ninja Theory and did a figurative jig. Then I saw the arm and thought “Nero?”

By the end, it was clear that it wasn’t Ninja Theory and hype went from mild to zero (I don’t get a ton of hype these days).

Maybe it’ll be cool. Time will tell.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This feels incredibly weird to me. What does "he jumped on that rocket like he was imitating Dante" even mean? These are fictional characters, I don't think they experience envy. Or are you worried you're getting pandered to? Like, too much winking at the camera? Devil May Cry might as well be Character Action Pandering: The Game. Some character doing some ridiculously over hype, half-awesome, half-stupid thing is the bread and butter of these things. And I don't think the missile thing is even close to the DmC moment of "then Dante writes 'fuck you' on a clipboard and gains access to a club somehow".

I just don't see where the issue with this whole thing is and I feel a lot like a Capcom exec must feel: "the PC says some quippy lines and does a kickflip on a missile and there's good old fashioned butt-rock. Plus, the snatch mechanic is back. What do you people want?"

If we agree on anything, it's let's wait for more info - mainly gameplay.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

Maybe I'm just a fanboy but yo they're making another DMC, I'll take it however I can get it, thanks.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DMC4 is one of my favourite games of all time, and like you i didn't care for DmC, so while the art style of 5 is reminiscent of DmC in places there's one aspect which gives me hope, a lot of Nero's animations carry over from 4 which tells me the developers recognise that 4 is a great game. I don't know how many of the team worked on 4, but to build on the combat and animations from a 10 year old game i think shows that they're doing this carefully and correctly.
As a major fan i can't help but poke at a few things you said, the first time you see the character he's literally holding and revving Red Queen, followed by him shooting his signature revolver so there's no mistaking who he is from the get go, Nero riding rockets? Why not, in DMC3 it was a fun character building cutscene but here it's during gameplay, a 3 second event during combat.
Someone, i assume Vergil as Nelo Angelo, cuts off Nero's demon arm which is where the "sidekick" comes in providing him with the mechanical arm. Sounds like Kyrie is still in the picture but we haven't seen her yet, i hope she's pretty.

So yeah, from what we've seen the combat seems to be ripped straight from 4 + some new stuff, we even see a fully charged Exceed launcher so that system is still in there, i'll miss the bright, colourful stages and light heartedness of DMC4, but the new look could be much worse.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#9  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

You loved DMC4 so much that you somehow never noticed Nero rev his dumb motorcycle sword from 4, shoot the same gun he used in 4, talk with the same voice actor as in 4, use a bunch of the same exact attacks/animations as in 4, yell Kyrie just like he constantly did in 4, and briefly appear with the same demon arm as in 4 before it gets ripped off.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

When i saw the trailer, at first i thought that this was DmC 2 with a remodeled version of Dante with a silver wig

DmC literally had Dante don the white-haired look, complete with en emotional arc that shifted him from edgy shitlord to pretty close to DMC1 Dante (in tone, if not in precise dialogue.). Every time I hear whining about DmC I'm reminded that a lot of those people likely didn't even finish DmC, or play it whatsoever.

This game looks a lot like DmC so far, but we'l see when the game actually releases or when people get their mitts on it. I'm hopeful, because that action looked good, but the tone is way off of what a traditional DMC5 might have been and the character models look... off... in general...

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping it would be a sequel to DmC. A bit disappointed it wasn't but the trailer was pretty interesting.

My opinion is worth less than nothing though. I haven't played a single game in the series. I just like Ninja Theory and thought the hate surrounding their game was totally lame.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@the_nubster said:
@giant_gamer said:

When i saw the trailer, at first i thought that this was DmC 2 with a remodeled version of Dante with a silver wig

DmC literally had Dante don the white-haired look, complete with en emotional arc that shifted him from edgy shitlord to pretty close to DMC1 Dante (in tone, if not in precise dialogue.). Every time I hear whining about DmC I'm reminded that a lot of those people likely didn't even finish DmC, or play it whatsoever.

Why would someone pay money for something they don't want and think looks bad? I don't expect every single person who hated old DMC but loved the reboot to play this either.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really liked DmC and am sad that we will never get a sequel to it, because people whined about the game before it came out and never even tried playing it. That extends to complaints about the game being too easy as well, because the depth is there but of course you're not gonna see it if you just look at the surface level.

I'm kind of less interested since it doesn't seem like Ninja Theory is involved anymore, but I'll withhold judgment until the game is finally released and reviews start coming out. If it turns out well, maybe I'll look into it when it goes on sale at some point, because I still got a massive backlog that could choke a black hole...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Be excited, do it. I feel like there's enough feedback out there to push them in the right direction on this one.

I loved DMC 4 and beat it on every difficulty. I thought DmC had some serious flaws in its enemy design (although the definitive edition did good work).

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wchigo said:

I really liked DmC and am sad that we will never get a sequel to it, because people whined about the game before it came out and never even tried playing it. That extends to complaints about the game being too easy as well, because the depth is there but of course you're not gonna see it if you just look at the surface level.

I'm kind of less interested since it doesn't seem like Ninja Theory is involved anymore, but I'll withhold judgment until the game is finally released and reviews start coming out. If it turns out well, maybe I'll look into it when it goes on sale at some point, because I still got a massive backlog that could choke a black hole...

"People judged DmC without actually playing it."
"I'm gonna wait for reviews and then still probably not play DMC5"

?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

There are way too few really good character action games, or any to be honest, so I’m excited. DMC4 was a great combat system in a mess of a game so hopefully DMC5 can level that out.

Weirdly enough just before E3 I played some DmC to pass the time and that game still looks and plays really well. I would have loved to see a DmC2 considering how awesome the level design was in that game compared to DMC4 castles and very Resident Evil looking environments but I’ll take what I can get.

As long as it’s fun to play I’m down with whatever Devil May Cry they make.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As an old fan of the series I feel like I've been waiting for this sequel for so long and I was convinced it would never happen when DmC was released. It looks like more of the same which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but after all this time playing other games like Bayonetta, I'm definitely demanding more than what I would have say 2 or 3 years ago.

The combat to me looks like it has nothing to do with DmC and I don't see where you got that opinion. It looks like a slight progression from DMC 4 with the multiple arms that add more to the combat. We have Red Queen again too so there's probably the charge system and Dante's back, so I'm sure he's going to be playable.

Stylistically, I'm not really sure what everyone else is seeing, but I still see a lot of punk/goth aesthetics in the trailer like in all the previous games. It just doesn't seem as overt in the past and there's more of a contemporary influence. The boss fight looks like it takes place in and outside of a broken cathedral. The street looks like it could be from Paris or London. Nero looks like a contemporary punk now in dress and hair. The only character I didn't like was Dante... his face looked so swollen you could barely see his eyes and that stubble looked kind of cringe. It made him look like a disheveled old man that just escaped an elderly home. If that's the story, I'll buy the look, but as for now... he just doesn't look good.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cikame

@wchigo said:

Loading Video...

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You loved DMC4 so much that you somehow never noticed Nero rev his dumb motorcycle sword from 4, shoot the same gun he used in 4, talk with the same voice actor as in 4, use a bunch of the same exact attacks/animations as in 4, yell Kyrie just like he constantly did in 4, and briefly appear with the same demon arm as in 4 before it gets ripped off.

Yeah, anyone who is familar with DMC4 can immediately recognize Nero's moves. That trailer had High Roller, Roulette Spin, Streak, Calibur and Devil Buster. Hell, even the basic 4 hit looks exactly the same. I could see some people saying maybe they could have got more creative and rework his move set, but honestly the only problem DMC4 didn't have was its combat. Dante had a ridiculously complicated movelist that did not get nearly enough time to breath before the game was over. That and you're just backtracking through the same shit again and fighting the same bosses so it was hard to get excited about it. The idea of an actually fully developed and polished game with DMC4 combat is all anyone was asking for, and I'm sure they will deliver that and much more.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't take a careful look at the trailer but thanks for pointing them out. I have also noticed the number 5 after Devil May Cry on the side of the van.

I'm looking forward for more info about the game now.

@cikame said:

DMC4 is one of my favourite games of all time, and like you i didn't care for DmC, so while the art style of 5 is reminiscent of DmC in places there's one aspect which gives me hope, a lot of Nero's animations carry over from 4 which tells me the developers recognise that 4 is a great game. I don't know how many of the team worked on 4, but to build on the combat and animations from a 10 year old game i think shows that they're doing this carefully and correctly.

As a major fan i can't help but poke at a few things you said, the first time you see the character he's literally holding and revving Red Queen, followed by him shooting his signature revolver so there's no mistaking who he is from the get go, Nero riding rockets? Why not, in DMC3 it was a fun character building cutscene but here it's during gameplay, a 3 second event during combat.

Someone, i assume Vergil as Nelo Angelo, cuts off Nero's demon arm which is where the "sidekick" comes in providing him with the mechanical arm. Sounds like Kyrie is still in the picture but we haven't seen her yet, i hope she's pretty.

So yeah, from what we've seen the combat seems to be ripped straight from 4 + some new stuff, we even see a fully charged Exceed launcher so that system is still in there, i'll miss the bright, colourful stages and light heartedness of DMC4, but the new look could be much worse.

Nero's character might be different in this game but it doesn't seem like it fits DMC4's Nero.

I believe what DMC4's Nero could have done is grab the rocket with devil bringer and through it back at who ever has launched it.

As an old fan of the series I feel like I've been waiting for this sequel for so long and I was convinced it would never happen when DmC was released. It looks like more of the same which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but after all this time playing other games like Bayonetta, I'm definitely demanding more than what I would have say 2 or 3 years ago.

The combat to me looks like it has nothing to do with DmC and I don't see where you got that opinion. It looks like a slight progression from DMC 4 with the multiple arms that add more to the combat. We have Red Queen again too so there's probably the charge system and Dante's back, so I'm sure he's going to be playable.

Stylistically, I'm not really sure what everyone else is seeing, but I still see a lot of punk/goth aesthetics in the trailer like in all the previous games. It just doesn't seem as overt in the past and there's more of a contemporary influence. The boss fight looks like it takes place in and outside of a broken cathedral. The street looks like it could be from Paris or London. Nero looks like a contemporary punk now in dress and hair. The only character I didn't like was Dante... his face looked so swollen you could barely see his eyes and that stubble looked kind of cringe. It made him look like a disheveled old man that just escaped an elderly home. If that's the story, I'll buy the look, but as for now... he just doesn't look good.

I went back and re watched DMC5 trailer and DMC4 gameplay and the differences are clear about their combat. DMC4 combat feels more fluid than DMC5 as the moves occupy less frames and it seems that there are fewer frames in between moves. This has been one of the my gripes about DmC, although DMC5 looks more fluid than DmC but it still looks like that it is a step back from DMC4.

@csl316 said:

Be excited, do it. I feel like there's enough feedback out there to push them in the right direction on this one.

I loved DMC 4 and beat it on every difficulty. I thought DmC had some serious flaws in its enemy design (although the definitive edition did good work).

So far i have bought every DMC game including DmC and i hope that DMC5 takes my top spot in the franchise and overthrow DMC3.

This why i made this thread which is to provide an initial feedback that is all thanks to the duders here :)

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Itsuno is directing it, there is no reason to be worried. He is responsible for dmc3 and 4.

Personally I don't really see the similarities with DmC much. It just looks like upgraded more modern looking characters. Nero looks fairly a lot like Virgil in DMC3 minus the slicked back hair.

The gameplay they shown at E3 all looks amazing.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@TechnoSyndrome: did you actually read my post? I said I’ll withhold judgment until reviews are released, so no judgment is passed. I only said my interest is lessened due to Ninja Theory not being involved, but I never said the game is garbage based on how it looks or who is developing it.

Secondly, the reason I might not ever play it is not due to quality reasons, but the fact that I have too many games to play and not enough time to play them all. I still haven’t finished FFXV even though I really liked that game, and haven’t even started The Last Guardian. I have games even older than those still sitting around. Again, nothing to do with whether the game is good or not.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only thought it was DmC at first because of Nero's hair change. The rest of it looked like it fit right into regular DMC and that's good.

I don't get your frustration.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather get a sequel to Ninja Theory's DMC game, but this will probably be good too. I guess Ninja Theory can never make that game now that MS bought them and Capcom would probably want DMC to be on Playstation too, but hopefully MS allows them to make a new character action game like a DMC, God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc since the Xbox does have a hole in that sub-genre and that type of game has been in the decline.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechnoSyndrome: I'm not knocking those people for not having played it. That's fine, it doesn't matter. But a lot of the arguments hinge around the character's attitude and his new look, both of which change over the course of the game. I'm knocking the people who stick their fingers in their ears and talk about how awful it is without actually putting in the time (gameplay, videos, whatever) to have an understanding of it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's not like there are floods of great character action games coming out these days. Platinum hasn't put out a stellar one since Bayonetta 2, and while I liked that special edition of DMC 4 a decent amount, it's not like they fixed the core problem of it being a great combat engine stretched over half a game. In that context, a new one of those from the same people responsible for DMC 3 and 4 sounds pretty good to me.

I guess I'm not mourning that Ninja Theory reboot too much because I made the mistake last year of trying to play DmC Definitive Edition and DMC 4 in quick succession, which really hammers home how much more limited DmC is. The definitive edition fixed some of that, I guess, but tacking on a lock-on and tweaking some of the mechanics doesn't really change the overall picture. I'm not one of the people who hated it by any means (in fact, I remember really liking it back in 2013) but it isn't flattered by direct comparison.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tumbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tumbell
No Caption Provided
@giant_gamer said:
@cikame said:

Nero's character might be different in this game but it doesn't seem like it fits DMC4's Nero.

I believe what DMC4's Nero could have done is grab the rocket with devil bringer and through it back at who ever has launched it.

He could not have done that, because he fired it off and is riding on it.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechnoSyndrome: I'm not knocking those people for not having played it. That's fine, it doesn't matter. But a lot of the arguments hinge around the character's attitude and his new look, both of which change over the course of the game. I'm knocking the people who stick their fingers in their ears and talk about how awful it is without actually putting in the time (gameplay, videos, whatever) to have an understanding of it.

It`s been a few years since I played DmC, but I don`t remember his look changing at all throughout that game. In the first level he wears a tank top and at one point a mop lands on his head for a second, so that it looks like he has white hair and he says something like "I am never doing that". After that his outfit and hair stays the same until the end of the game.

His personality changes a bit, but it`s not really much closer to old Dante and the writing and comedy in that game stayed bad throughout, so it dosen`t really help much.

DmC was my first Devil May Cry game and I enjoyed when I played in spite of the lame story and characters, but after going back to DMC 3 and 4 I ended up liking those quite a bit more and I definitely see where the fans were coming from when they reacted negatively to DmC (even though some people definitely overreacted. It is the internet after all).

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tumbell said:
@giant_gamer said:
@cikame said:

So yeah, from what we've seen the combat seems to be ripped straight from 4 + some new stuff, we even see a fully charged Exceed launcher so t?hat system is still in there, i'll miss the bright, colourful stages and light heartedness of DMC4, but the new look could be much worse.

He could not have done that, because he fired it off and is riding on it.

But why?

It is his hand so he can't blow it up! Could it be that there are skating parts in the game? Something like when Bayonetta was riding on a rocket.

I'm hoping that Capcom will shed more light on the game during TGS.

KittenTactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's been ten long years and this is going to be the last DMC game of its kind. I'm getting excited. Worst case scenario, it sucks and I still have the old ones to play. Best case scenario, I'm gonna get the best one yet.

Get excited, dude! Devil May Cry 5!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odinsmana: They are likely talking about how his hair changes to white in the ending sequence. Which, while at the end, is still in the arc of the game and set him up to have a more familiar look in the sequel that never happened.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza said:

@odinsmana: They are likely talking about how his hair changes to white in the ending sequence. Which, while at the end, is still in the arc of the game and set him up to have a more familiar look in the sequel that never happened.

I had totally forgotten about that, but as you say I think it does more to set the stage for a sequel than it does for the character and story in that game, so I don`t know if it changed or would have changed the opinions of the people who played the game that did not like Dante`s design. I also don`t know if just adding white hair helps much without changing the other aspects of the design. Thanks for pointing out the hair change!