• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Efesell (4475 posts) -

There's just no context for me that excuses anything beyond just like.. disappointment.

Like for the people who take to the forums or social media or whatever to throw tantrums at devs then maybe I'm glad they don't have what they want.

#52 Posted by inevpatoria (7436 posts) -

@eurobum said:

IMHO and in actual indisputable fact, Blizzard hasn't produced anything worthwhile since the turn of the century

lol

#53 Posted by darkmoney52 (92 posts) -

@mezza: Was people asking snide questions at the QandA really that over the top? It's not like they were making personal attacks, they were just making their opinions known.

Which, for a show they paid 200 bucks for, is personally valid in my books. Especially considering just how little effort went into actually making this event worthwhile for the fans.

#54 Posted by notdavid (882 posts) -

I've been fucking embarrassed to be someone who likes games for a while now, but this is ludicrous. Anyone who played Diablo 2 back in the day would be in their late 20s to 30s by now. We're grown ups. We should be better than this.

#55 Edited by MezZa (3047 posts) -

@darkmoney52: Considering that those snide questions, sarcastic comments, and poor crowd reactions were being directed at people who are just making the games they're being paid to make, yes, it is absolutely inappropriate to treat them poorly. How would you like if someone acted like a dick to you at your job for something you dont ultimately control. They can walk out if they're that upset, dont buy or play the game, or even turn their back on blizzard. Paying for a ticket doesnt mean you paid for the right to be a jerk to other humans who are just trying to make the best of a visibly horrible and awkward position to be in already.

And my comment wasn't just about the q and a session. The diablo communities online are full of 20 and 30 year olds acting like toddlers who got their toy taken away. And they act like anything they say is justified just because they're the fanbase.

#56 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15697 posts) -

This whole thing feels like a PR misfire, and I think there's some danger in assuming your most zealous fans will take anything you give them. Maybe they shouldn't have teased an announcement for their main stage, then revealed a Free-to-Play mobile game instead of the Diablo or Diablo II remaster people were sorta expecting. That said... I can't sympathize with the ridiculously disproportionate response these sorts of things get anymore. Like, Blizzard has 4 franchises. It's a pretty safe bet a Diablo IV will happen at some point. It's also Blizzard, so even if they announced a Diablo IV it would still take another half-decade to actually come out. Get over yourselves and play one of the other half-dozen action-RPGs doing the exact same thing if you want a change of pace.

Of course, after Diablo III I don't exactly have much faith the Blizzard of today will make anything new I'd want to play. Diablo III is fine, it's fine, but the mindless skinner box nature of the whole thing has been refined to the point where I no longer feel like I'm playing a video game and instead feel like a rat pressing a button to get pellets. It's a pretty sterling example of airless, consequence-free game design, and while I do like watching the numbers go up every now and then there has to be some sort of meaningful input by me as the player to avoid feeling like I'm going through a slightly more obfuscated clicker.

#57 Posted by The_Greg (538 posts) -

What a genius. Bad move on Blizzard's part. Don't announce mobile games at events like this unless it's along with bigger announcements.

I have to be honest though, I'm looking forward to this game a little bit.

#59 Edited by mellotronrules (2591 posts) -

this makes everyone look bad tbh. blizzard for giving a mobile game marquee billing at a fan-event, and the fans for acting as though they're owed anything.

blizzard probably should have known better- but holy shit do those fans need to get a grip.

ps- i'd like to propose a permanent moratorium on all Q&A/audience mics at all events. they're never good.

#60 Posted by darkmoney52 (92 posts) -

@mezza: I don't know man, I've worked customer service jobs where people have acted like a jerk to me over situations beyond my control. I can honestly say that some dude asking a crummy question would not have rated as a bad day when I worked those gigs.

Again, I'm not saying "they announced the wrong game, tear them apart!". I'm saying that they hyped a big announcement for diablo this year,charged 200 dollars for a ticket to the announcement show, and then someone asked a mean spirited question.

There's a lot of shitty behavior in the gaming community that makes me embarrassed to be a part of it, but this is not one of those things. This is a negative (but not overtly personal or aggressive) reaction to a show that was marketed towards fans that blizzard doesn't seem to particularly care about.

#61 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4310 posts) -

So the fans were told beforehand that Diablo 4 wouldn't be the announcement. I saw some 'leak' about a Diablo brawler happening. Would that be accepted? It just seems to me like there's one thing that diablo fans want and that's Diablo 4. Sure, Blizzard could've put this in the middle of the show and end it with the warcraft 3 remaster. But i just feel like there was no way to win here without giving a Diablo 4 announcement.

This Diablo game is going to print money though.

Avatar image for thatonedudenick
#62 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (1565 posts) -

Shitty audience. You don't antagonize and boo a presenter because a product exists that isn't for you. There is no excuse for that poor childish behavior.

#63 Posted by CircleofPaper (64 posts) -

Immortal is what it is, and criticizing the game for being what it is seems perfectly fine to me.

What Blizzard needs to do is accept that they failed to read the room, and learn from it. A casual game being introduced to a hardcore following in that setting was never going to win over the fans in attendance, streaming at home or reading the news/tweets. This would have been better suited for a MacWorld, or a more mobile focused gathering in an accompanying sense. Hopefully this is just the new leadership growing in their roles instead of living in their own heads believing they know what the "people really want"(ala Vince McMahon).

As for the guy asking a question, we get it, you're upset. You come across as a jerk, you go viral and people will cheer and jeer at you. Speak with your wallet. That's the only thing corporations listen to.

#64 Posted by mavs (382 posts) -

So the fans were told beforehand that Diablo 4 wouldn't be the announcement. I saw some 'leak' about a Diablo brawler happening. Would that be accepted? It just seems to me like there's one thing that diablo fans want and that's Diablo 4. Sure, Blizzard could've put this in the middle of the show and end it with the warcraft 3 remaster. But i just feel like there was no way to win here without giving a Diablo 4 announcement.

This Diablo game is going to print money though.

Just surprise people and throw an announcement out there. How much hype did Fallout Shelter get? And BlizzCon isn't E3, they don't have to build up announcements according to their projected financial impact.

#65 Edited by MezZa (3047 posts) -

@darkmoney52: It really wasn't just a crummy question. I don't know if you've literally only seen this thread or what, but the crowd was rampantly booing the question and answers session along with the initial presentation and people are bragging about the crowds' bad behavior and snotty questions.

And the existence of people behaving badly elsewhere doesnt excuse this specific group of people behaving badly. I work in tech and started my career working the phones for a global retail company. I know how crappy people can get. It's never excusable to treat an employee like crap. The presenter is just an employee. The diablo team aren't executives or board members that gets to choose their focus on a mobile game. They aren't even working on it since its outsourced. They're likely working on what the crowd wants, but they're so impatient that they cant wait for an official announcement timing. The audience is grown enough to suck it up and show their displeasure in a mature manner. I'm not saying they shouldn't be upset, but bad behavior isn't okay just because there is worst behavior elsewhere. And it really isn't okay just because a game was announced that they dont care about.

#66 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

@cmblasko: Making a funny edit isn't harassment dude. Calm down and enjoy the fun of watching Blizzard burn for their miscalculated announcement.

This video of Steve Jobs is perfect for modern game developers

Loading Video...

Too many people assume that being in charge of something, means just letting others do your work for you. Additionally to things mentioned in the interview both marketing and PR people are basically paid to lie and twist perception, which makes them both ruthless and very capable of presenting themselves, as well as taking credit for the success of any given product.

But the only solution they can offer is to rebrand, redesign the logo, reinvent the narrative, lie and last but not least, seeing how this is a creative field the main course of action is just to copy what the competition is doing. "Good artists copy, great artists steal." and all that. Marketing is important and it is the final step, but sometimes it's completely evil especially if you are selling bottled Diabetes or loot boxes.

#67 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4310 posts) -

@mavs:Well they did and the people hated the surprise :D

Sure, if you look back on all this it would've been best if Blizzard said nothing or literally only said 'there will be no Diablo 4.' But looking at that blogpost i feel like they hinted pretty clearly that this is not at all the main course that Diablo fans want. First they state that there are multiple projects in the works & that people should be patient. Good things come to those who wait. Then they say that there will be 'some diablo related news' at Blizzcon. Doesn't read to me as MARK YOUR CALENDERS FOR THIS!

November 2 will be an especially diabolical date—not only is it the first day of BlizzCon, it’s also when Diablo III arrives on the Nintendo Switch. Now this line, does feel very much like someone is telling me to mark my calendar. But they specify that it's because of the blizzcon opening & Diablo III switch version. When i saw that announcement i figured that they were doing a Diablo 2 event in Diablo 3 or something. Similar to how they did that Diablo 1 event. Or maybe add an extra class to Diablo 3. It never read to me like there would be a huge announcement at blizzcon that Diablo fans should prepare their bodies for. After all, Good things come to those who wait and evil often takes longer. You don't tell fans to wait for later news if you're confident that you have some major Diablo news here that people will be excited about.

Avatar image for farleyslundgren
#68 Posted by FarleysLundgren (152 posts) -

The people shitting on the devs because their expectations weren’t met can honestly go fuck off. And that includes people making shitty mocking ”meme” images. You’re not 12 years old anymore. Entitled children I swear to god.

#69 Edited by hnke (188 posts) -

They clearly fucked up with this year's pre-Blizzcon messaging but anyone who can comprehend English at this point already knows that they have already de facto confirmed that they are well at work on Diablo 4. Anyone who is furious that they somehow didn't announce it today is a complete idiot. I don't even care about Diablo but if you think this is some sick burn that is just embarrassing.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
#70 Posted by CurseTheseMetalHands (178 posts) -

Was selling this announcement as a big deal a major miscalculation? Absolutely. But, in all fairness to Blizzard, who knew Moby was such a hardcore Diablo fan?

#71 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4310 posts) -

@cursethesemetalhands:

But where did they sell this as a big announcement? Surely not the blogpost where they placed this announcement on a similar level as the Diablo III switch release and told the fans that they have multiple projects in the works that take more time and will come to those that are patient. I guess giving this stage time at blizzcon can be seen as making a big deal out of it, but it also makes a whole lot of sense to announce a new blizzard game at the blizzard convention. Eventhough this is not Diablo 4 , they still want to support this product and let people know about it. And there will definitly be millions of people out there that will play this.

Ending with positive news would've let this go over better and they probably should've communicated that D4 will be coming later with a logo, so that even the fans that didn't read the blogpost were up to date. And it would be a nice 1-2 punch with 'Diablo 4 is in the plans, but for right now we have this mobile game you can play!' But i feel like they made it clear that this was not going to be a huge announcement for diablo fans.

#72 Posted by soulcake (2749 posts) -

Here is some advice. Know your audience these dudes who attend blizzcon are hardcore fans, of course there gonna burn your mobile game to the ground.

#73 Posted by JasonR86 (10246 posts) -

That guy sucks. Fans like this, and people who are upset about this whole thing, make me dislike fans in general. Grow up.

#74 Posted by Ares42 (4341 posts) -

@onemanarmyy: This is pretty much what started it. Again, I'd like to reiterate the point that after years of drought of interesting news suddenly doing something like this has a heavier weight to it. The blog post came later, to make sure people didn't expect D4, after they realized the community went a bit rampant with this tease.

Loading Video...
#75 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4310 posts) -

@ares42: okay i think i'm missing a piece of the information here. What was the initial thing that made people hyped for big diablo news before this blogpost came about?

#76 Posted by Ares42 (4341 posts) -
#78 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4310 posts) -

@ares42: Yes i did. I just figured that i was missing a tweet or blogpost where they accidently hyped people up for a big diablo announcement and then had to temper the expectations set. When i read the blogpost, i definitly feel like they are very aware that the diablo fans want diablo 4 when they say that it's not ready yet and that good things come to those that are patient.

The part where they fucked up was where they didn't duplicate the information in the blogpost at blizzcon to get everyone in the room informed and maybe threw up a diablo 4 logo to put everyone at ease. The reaction could've been quite different if people cheered for the Diablo 4 'announcement' and then were told that in the meantime there's this mobile f2p diablo game to be played.

EDIT: oh my bad, you posted the steve jobs video, i'll watch the new video now.

Okay i can see how that makes it confusing. ' multiple projects in the works , some of them take more time than others, but we may have some things to show you later this year. ' If they felt that was confusing enough to warrant a blogpost, they should've addressed it on the stage as well to make sure that everyone knows that this is not THE diablo project.

#80 Posted by Efesell (4475 posts) -

I do feel like.. if you are plugged in enough to be the sort paying for Blizzcon then you probably are aware of gaming news to a degree where that announcement would find its way to you anyway.

But yes there are many things they could have done better to at least soften the landing of this game.

#81 Posted by deckard (354 posts) -

The presentation should have been teaser trailers/concept art for all these "multiple Diablo projects" they have in the works, then have the mobile game be the "one more thing" reveal at the end. As a lifelong Diablo fan I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed and baffled. I'm amazed Blizzard thought this whole thing was a good idea (at Blizzcon specifically).

#82 Posted by envane (1273 posts) -

its amazing the things people have taken from this reaction

No Caption Provided

#84 Posted by carlthenimrod (1635 posts) -

Booing and sarcastic questions seem like a perfectly valid way to voice your displeasure with the direction a company is taking a franchise you care about.

Seriously, people act like the person in that clip used a racial slur and then hurled a battery on stage at the developer. Let’s keep things in perspective here. Perhaps a bit rude but it wasn’t all that bad all things considered.

#85 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4310 posts) -

@ibmer: There are multiple people in this thread saying that you have a deep hatred of women for not liking this mobile game?

#86 Posted by envane (1273 posts) -

@onemanarmyy: they were reacting to the image of a tweet that i posted , 2 posts above ... nobodys painting the people in the thread in any way. but to add clarity , this twitter comment is an extreme example , so painting the entire twittersphere's reaction this way would also be disingenuous. personally i think the whole things incredibly overhyped , fandom is fandom , calling people entitled babies (mashable) is just pouring fuel on the fire.

#87 Edited by IBMer (55 posts) -

@onemanarmyy said:

@ibmer: There are multiple people in this thread saying that you have a deep hatred of women for not liking this mobile game?

Like the duder above said, there's a lot of game's industry people resorting to the "toxic male gamer" well because of the outcry over Diablo Immortal, and some of them think mostly women play mobile games and thus mobile gaming is the enemy of dudebros

It seems to be the go to response for people being pissed off these days, I think the reaction is overblown and all but I don't know why people have to make it a sexism/masculinity thing

Personally I was excited for Diablo Immortal and I was going to not buy Switch D3, until people who played it said it's dumbed down Diablo and on top of that, it's apparently a re-skinned version of a pre-existing rip-off

#88 Edited by TheHT (15835 posts) -
@envane said:

personally i think the whole things incredibly overhyped , fandom is fandom , calling people entitled babies (mashable) is just pouring fuel on the fire.

Stupid begets stupid right? To varying degrees of idiocy, there's the folks at Blizzard who decided to make this a big reveal, the people who were jerks to the devs, and the people using this to get attention or spin it.

Except us talking about it of course. We're not idiots.

#89 Edited by jamjyo (103 posts) -

@mezza:

I'm tired of gamers acting entitled as much as the next guy, but your comments rub me the wrong way.

If booing : harassing devs

being snarky in Q/A because of disappointment : harassing devs ("april fools joke" comment was quite cringe-y btw)

not clapping : harassing devs

How should fans voice their concerns?

How can fans direct their voices to "someone up top" when you automatically disregard all these comments to be "directed at the devs" somehow?

I've been browsing the subreddit (r/diablo), and I've seen 0 personal attacks, death threats, or anything that can be viewed as a harassment targeted at individual devs.

Sure, someone somewhere is going to inevitably cross the line, and we shouldn't condone those behaviors.

But it seems that literally anything other than "Not buying the product and shutting their mouths" is a "Bad behavior" to you.

#90 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2047 posts) -

Good on this guy and this crowd showing their disappointment and displeasure. Maybe Blizzard will learn a lesson.

#91 Posted by Raven10 (2284 posts) -

On the one hand, this is not the fault of the developers on stage making the game. They don't get to choose what projects get funded and what projects don't. So acting like an ass when they are only doing their job is a bit out of line. That said, as numerous people have stated, how does one misjudge the tone of the room so badly? How could someone not see this reaction coming? As numerous people have also pointed out, Bethesda has been excellent at this, placing their mobile game announcements beside announcements for major new titles. You can't get too mad at mobile Fallout when you are also getting Fallout 4. You can't get too mad at mobile Elder Scrolls when you are also getting Elder Scrolls 6. This feels like EA levels of not understanding your audience and while I don't condone heckling someone just trying to do the best he can, I also feel for the fans who really have to feel like they are getting trolled.

#92 Edited by IBMer (55 posts) -

@frodobaggins said:

Good on this guy and this crowd showing their disappointment and displeasure. Maybe Blizzard will learn a lesson.

I have to admit even though it's dickish and I do feel bad for them having to be embarrassed like that on stage, it's certainly gonna have left a bigger impact than people laughing at the amount of dislikes on their YouTube trailer.

#93 Edited by Shindig (4911 posts) -

What a bunch of fucking smarks. "Guys, we're not announcing the thing you want. Just be aware." Are they booing because it's a mobile game or because there's no plans to bring it to PC? Would they lap it up if it was coming to PC?

What a mess.

#94 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1639 posts) -

Sorry, but having your new Chinese rip-off cash grab mobile game as the closing announcement at the hardcore fan convention is a recipe for disaster.

#95 Posted by Fezrock (727 posts) -

The thing I don't get is people throwing around the word "entitled" like its some sort of insult in this case.

Sorry, but if you paid a whole bunch of money to be at an event, you are absolutely entitled to make it clear if you aren't happy with the event. Its a bedrock principle of capitalism that customers have the right to tell businesses to fuck off.

Within reason obviously; no personal attacks, rioting, etc.

#96 Posted by saytay (30 posts) -

imagine this:
waiting 6 years for a new Diablo
hyped up by all the "it's a good year for Diablo fans" shit
bought tickets, took day off and travel(some even from other countries) to participate blizzcon hoping for a D4 or D2 remake
whoops, it's actually a neteast diablo clone rebranded as diablo mobile
and if you don't like it you're a filthy bigot asshole maga hat wearing trump supporter

what?

#99 Edited by SethMode (1973 posts) -

This is now several times where I have seen a reaction here as if Immortal was pitched as the new future of Diablo and all other Diablo games are canceled. Booing a press show that you paid for EVEN AFTER YOU WERE TOLD THE BIG THING WON'T BE THERE is truly petulant bullshit gamer behavior. There is nothing stopping a grown up from behaving like a mature adult and thinking "Not a mobile game fan, so I'll just continue to look forward to D2 remaster or D4."

But gamers as a general group still act like they never grew up past 12 so what can you do. They'll still piss and moan when D4 IS announced because it won't be exactly what they want either. Entitlement is considered a bad thing because it is usually followed by this kind of behavior, and in this case it's worse because there was no reason to think D4 would be there. If you're disappointed D2 wasnt announced, that's understandable, but being disappointed about a thing that WILL BE ANNOUNCED EVENTUALLY and behaving like a whiny baby that is acting like Blizzard announced they're a mobile Chinese game maker now is a pretty wide gulf.

D4 will come out, D2 remaster will come out. I'm sorry you spent $200 for an announcement event and were disappointed by the announcement, but sometimes that's how these things go. Adult humans move on with their lives. Gamers in large droves poop in their diaper and cry about how this is some gross affront to their very livelihood, when it's just a game that they literally never have to play, and there have been and will be other games, up to and including the one many want FROM Blizzard.

#100 Posted by Sombre (412 posts) -

That guy seems like an absolute prick