Anybody play any Digimon games? Which ones are good?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon
This was pretty cool. It was Tomagotchi but you could battle like Pokemon. You could tell it was for boys cause instead of an egg shape, the toy was a brick.
This was pretty cool. It was Tomagotchi but you could battle like Pokemon. You could tell it was for boys cause instead of an egg shape, the toy was a brick.

I like the first series and the first movie a lot (better than Summer Wars imo) but the only Digimon game I've ever played is the Tomagotchi clone "for boys" Digital Monster virtual pet toy. I forget, did this ever catch on in the US?

Growing up as a Pokemon kid I definitely played some Pokemon clones like Medarot and Monster Race but I never got my hands on any Digimon games. Actually, the only one I ever got to play for like 5 minutes was some kind of a Super Smash clone.

Have y'all played any Digimon games and are there any good ones? I'm mostly wondering about the RPG ones.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I played one on PS4. Digital Detective or some such. The only thing I remember about it is a creature thing on my team that looked like a cross between Macho Man Randy Savage and a testicle, so it's basically GOTY material.

Edit: Here you go.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sparky_buzzsaw: I did not want to believe you, but then I clicked the link. And yup, Macho Man, if he were a testicle is pretty spot on.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I liked Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. You can probably get it for around $10 now. There was a sequel but I have no clue if it's good or not.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyber Sleuth is great if you want a fairly traditional turn based party JRPG with interesting evolution mechanics. Like others here I haven't played the sequel yet (heard it reuses a lot of assets etc so waiting for a good price drop)so can't vouch for that.

The other recent option is Digimon World Next Order. Very different to Cyber Sleuth in that you have only 2 digimon and no direct control over them in combat. You train them up yo alter stats/behaviour but when it comes to combat the most you can do is cheer them towards specific kinds of action. It's very reminiscent of the old PS1 Digimon World game.

Both games are good and worth your time, but they do offer very different experiences. Maybe check some YouTube videos of each and see what tickles your fancy.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My list of Digimon games in order from best, to least best.

1. Digimon World. You train your Digimon by making them stand under waterfalls or punch logs and stuff until they get hungry or have to poop, at which point you must feed them or guide them to the toilet. If your Digimon poops on the ground they get embarrassed and will die sooner, so you really want to get your Mon to a toilet. Also you go on adventures and explore a world and build a town with your Digimon, so that's cool.
  2. Those Digivice things they sold. They were kinda like Tamagotchis. One of them had a cardreader, but I don't think which card you used actually mattered.
  3. Digimon Rumble Arena. If you like Smash Bros. but want it to be less good then play PlayStation AllStars. If AllStars is too quality still then Digimon Rumble Arena is the game for you! It features all your favorites: Augumon, That worm Digimon from the Second Season, There's probably others. It was a decent rent from Block Buster in the late nineties.

Anyways, that's all I got. They've probably released good Digimon games after the year 2000, so I'm as excited as you are for this thread.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My girlfriend liked Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth enough to nearly platinum it; I didn't play it myself but she described it as a fairly standard turn-based JRPG. She's been hesitant to pull the trigger on buying the sequel, if that means anything.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nicksmi56

There's actually a new Digimon RPG coming out this year called Digimon Survive. It's apparently a strategy RPG with visual novel-style conversations and moral choices that can lead to different digivolutions and endings, as well as the deaths of your companions if you're not careful.

Here's the site.