Just came out in the west the other day, why is no one talking about it?

• 52 results
Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can't afford to pick it up right now, but eventually I will. It's been a long time since I've been actively into Digimon, but I can't say no to a good turn-based JRPG on a console. It's been too long.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The battles remind me of Digimon World 2 which is the one I really like. The farm has me...turned off. But if this is like Digimon World 2 then that's what I need to hear.

Is it like Digimon World 2?

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital only on the Vita kills it for me since I'm not willing to spend a ton of money on top of the 40 bucks for the game to get a new memory card.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digimon is still a thing?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digimon is still a thing?

It's such a thing that there was a recent movie where the cast of the OG anime series are in high school and it was good.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By redyoshi

I got it on Vita since it's cheaper there. I haven't been able to put much time into it, and the beginning handholdy stuff takes a while to get past.

I can already tell that being so out of touch with Digimon since Digimon World on the PS1 is going to cause a lot of confusion for me as I try to build my team. Is there a reliable site to check for when I want to look up evolution lines? When I go to evolve something, there's a few options but if one of them hasn't been encountered yet, it's a silhouette with question marks, which is bad for me as I want to look up who the hell these guys are.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If I had a PS4 or Vita, I'd be all over this game. The reception for it seems to be great and the recent movie definitely reignited some Digimon passion. I don't need every console . . . . . . . right?

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Just got my copy today, but haven't had time to play. I've been looking forward to it though seems like a nice turn based rpg which we don't get a lot of these days.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why all these big RPG games I want to play have to come out the month I go back to college... Too bad I have my priorities in order for once or I'd be all over this.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Picked this up day of release. Have not started. Must finish Trails of Cold Steel, and then I'm all over that shit. As long as obtaining Machinedramon is possible, I'll be a happy camper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Just bought PS4 version on PSN. Cant wait to go home and play it after work.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kerse

So I've put some time into this. I'm really liking the digimon part and the combat is fun. Though I would recommend setting the difficulty to Hard because it is way too easy on Normal. The translation is not the best unfortunately. There's been several times where a character will say something that doesn't really make any sense. It hasn't gotten in the way or anything, but since the game doesn't really tell you what you should be doing it can be a bit annoying. The story started off great; it reminded me a lot of .hack or something, but after that initial part it has kinda disappeared. The characters, story and detective part are kinda barebones and not very interesting. Maybe its the translation, but I don't think so. So I'm a little disappointed on that end. I liked the idea of a Digimon detective story, but it doesn't seem like we're gonna get an interesting mystery to solve like Persona 4 (its the only JRPG with a detective story I can think of the compare). Who knows though I'm only like 6 hours in so maybe its still trying to set up everything.

But I'm enjoying the other aspects of the game. It's a pretty fun turn based combat system. It moves pretty quickly, load times are short, and the random encounter rate isn't too high. Also its Digimon so that's a definite plus.

Shambala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My girlfriend and I are playing it on PS4 and loving it. I disengaged with Digimon after Adventure 1 but Tri got me back in the mood. Plus, we desperately need the monster breeding genre to make it's triumphant return to consoles.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I was really hoping for a quick look from @austin_walker because I'm intrigued by the game but I don't want to drop money on it without some kind of feeling for the quality.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'm surprised so many people seem head over heels for this game. Not that that's a bad thing, but everything I saw leading up to this didn't make much of an impression on me. Now, I genuinely feel like I'm missing out and maybe I should pick it up too

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those who are playing it, how challenging is it? I would be willing to throw down, but I heard it was rather easy. I'm not looking for a darkest dungeon, but I also don't want something that's boring.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH dude I cant believe I forgot this was coming out...who knows how long it will be before I can get a PS4 though

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I heard the vita version (Asian version) has English subs so I've been thinking of picking that up. I don't have a ps4 so I can't play the US version of it.

Shambala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zalrus9: It's pretty easy. There is a hard mode but I haven't engaged with it yet as I'd rather just fuse and create cool monsters.

@naoiko:There was a Vita release in the States as well, I believe.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shambala said:

@zalrus9: It's pretty easy. There is a hard mode but I haven't engaged with it yet as I'd rather just fuse and create cool monsters.

Yeah, I'm the same. There's a lot coming out in the next couple of weeks so I don't want to get too hung up this game right now, I'm content with breezing through battles. I've heard that the hard mode is a big jump in difficulty compared to normal, especially early on when you only have baby digimon to work with.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting for the DigimonOtis review.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: I'm playing it through on Hard and can attest to the early difficulty. You only start off with a single digimon and the random encounters can set you up against two at once. Each of your opponents can potentially take you out in 3 hits so if you're careless you can quickly lose. I'm only a few hours in and have a complete party at my disposal which greatly enhanced my survival.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Bollard

This... This actually looks really good? I dislike JRPGs generally but like Pokemon. Will I like this?

redsoundwaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 10 hours in and I don't think it is receiving a substantially less amount of public talk than expected, I know some Digimon fans that are playing it but other than that it plays like a pretty typical JRPG aside from the actual process of producing monsters.

ultron100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that there is just so so so many games coming out this month that it's hard to keep track of all of them.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zalrus9 said:

For those who are playing it, how challenging is it? I would be willing to throw down, but I heard it was rather easy. I'm not looking for a darkest dungeon, but I also don't want something that's boring.

Definitely put it on Hard. On hard its basically like pokemon if you've played it, where most die in 4-5 hits and a super effective can do it in 1-2 turns. On easy it takes like 20 turns for the enemies to do anything noticeable to you. I'm not super far in though so maybe it gets more challenging later.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about 20 hours in and I'm loving it so far. Digimon fans have learned to keep to themselves I think.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By violet_

I ordered it, it's gonna arrive after a while

I recollect way more about digimon than a normal human should

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Great another game on the 2016 game to buy list.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the game, best Persona 4/Pokemon hybrid.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Ordered it a couple days ago, should be here Tuesday. Never would have thought I'd be buying a Digimon game in 2016, but I guess nostalgia hit me hard.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LeStephan

Saw the ntsc version up for preorder here in the netherlands for 50 euros and was thinking of getting it. Now that its out it sold out in no time almost everywhere and the places that do have it suddenly made it 65-70 euros...no thanks hahaha, maybe later.

The craziest thing is there is an actual european version coming later this year so there is no reason to buy it import for more money unless you cant wait a couple of weeks/months.

This game may be more in vogue than we are giving it credit for :P at least here in the netherlands.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its all my twitter talks about but I follow a lot of digimon fans

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I was going to rent it from Gamefly and check it out, but I'm currently playing Trails of Cold Steel and didn't really want 2 long as RPG games at the same time. Glad that it seems like Digimon is pretty good. I'll get around to playing it at some point.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By DocHaus

I swear, anyone who puts "why is no one talking about [X]?" or "Am I the only one who [X]?" in the title should have their account locked until they can come up with a better post. Maybe we would be able to talk about this game if you'd put more effort in the OP as to why this game is awesome, or terrible, or funny, or somewhere in-between!

Also, there's this handy-dandy wiki thing that some people still use on Giant Bomb! Someone who's played this game could help fill it out!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus: I agree that I would probably find it more useful if OPs like this weren't written as a rhetorical question. And actually had some more content as to why the game is worth looking at!

In response to OP, I had not heard of this game at all until I saw this post. I had no idea it existed and didn't even know Digimon games were still being released in the west. So that's why I haven't been talking about it. You said it in the OP, you've not consumed Digimon content before, how did you find out about this and what made you give it a shot?

Glad to hear that it's good though, I can be convinced into some Digimon antics if the game is interesting.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm really digging it thus far. I do have a nostalgic fondness for Digimon, but the game actually leans less heavily on Digimon (at least in the first few chapters) than I thought it would. You could very easily switch out the Digimon brand for something else and yet the story remains quite interesting. It's like a cyberpunk Persona game in some respects. My only real gripes are the occasionally rough translation and the difficulty. Normal mode is a breeze and hard mode spikes dramatically when it comes to boss fights.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I'm enjoying the gameplay but the story is kind of annoying me. It throws three or four interesting story beats at you and then a totally different character drags you off in a completely new direction. Thanks for helping me find that thing I lost, lady, but I don't really want to do your thing. I want to be a cool hacker in this interesting world through the medium of collectable monsters. Just let me go back to hanging out with my friends.

brodywb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never seen anything digimon related before, but a turn based RPG on the ps4 sounds like something I could get into. I went ahead and ordered it. Hopefully it's not too dependent on being a fan.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if anyone on the GB staff would be interested in this game?

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I've really wanted to play this game since I heard about it but the Canadian dollar being so shitty and game being 79.99 here has made me really put into check what I'm buying. I'm gonna have to wait for this one to go on sale or drop in price before I get it.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Substance_D

Because it's a Japanese game, and Japanese publishers don't care as much about foreign coverage as they do for local stuff. Like Jeff has said before, most Japanese publishers have very weird relationships with foreign press and might not even send copies out.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does this run on Vita? I'm thinking about getting it, and realized it's much cheaper if I get it for my PSTV(yeah I know), but I was wondering if the performance difference is worth the extra $20 or so to just get it on PS4.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Karmosin

@mindbullet: It runs at 30 FPS and, aside from one area with some trees that sometimes shows up in the foreground wich seemingly puts some strain on the system, it has been very stable.

It looks really good for a vita-game, especially character and monster-models, and the environments inside the digital world have a very stylized and slick look to them too. Will probably not be as impressive on the ps4 though. :P

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mcfart

Lol digimon. It could objectivly be the best game ever, but the Digimon licence makes it a 'not buy'.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MindBullet
@karmosin said:

@mindbullet: It runs at 30 FPS and, aside from one area with some trees that sometimes shows up in the foreground wich seemingly puts some strain on the system, it has been very stable.

It looks really good for a vita-game, especially character and monster-models, and the environments inside the digital world have a very stylized and slick look to them too. Will probably not be as impressive on the ps4 though. :P

Yeah, thanks. I read somewhere that even being in 1080p/60fps, the PS4 version look decidedly like an up-rezzed Vita game. I guess I'll just get it on VitaTV, then.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@dochaus: it had to be said. Thank you for stepping up and saying.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 20+ hours in and loving it. Also surprised at just how "mature" it is.

I did a certain case yesterday and DAMN the game got dark! The case involving the love dolls and virtual girl project.