Disney Discontinuing Disney Infinity

This topic is locked from further discussion.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

http://www.disneyinteractive.com/blog/update-disney-infinity/

An Update on Disney Infinity

MAY 10, 2016 JOHN BLACKBURN, SVP & GM, DISNEY INFINITY

By now you may have heard the news that we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Disney Infinity. From the beginning, Disney Infinity was built for you—our fans—and I wanted to take a moment to thank you not just for your support over the years, but for creating a community that made Disney Infinity more than just a game.

Our goal for Disney Infinity was to bring the best of Disney storytelling to life in homes around the world, and with your support we accomplished that. We hope you had as much fun playing the game as we had making it.

So what’s next for Disney Infinity? We have two final retail releases coming, including three new characters from Alice Through the Looking Glass later this month, and the Finding Dory Play Set launching in June.

And as we turn to the next chapter in our story, I want to thank everyone who helped bring Disney Infinity to life, particularly Disney’s Glendale-based production and publishing teams, our external development partners, and of course the incredible Avalanche team for their tireless dedication to this project.

But most of all, I want to again thank you for making Disney Infinity a part of your lives—and for adding to the Disney legacy by being a part of this community.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They are straight up shuttering their video game production studios as well.

No word yet on friend of the site John Vignochi as he was head of Disney Interactive.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO JOHNNY V!!!

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just saw it on Kotaku and had to look at it twice, I thought it was a joke or mistake. I never bought into it, but was seriously tempted several times. It wasn't that I didn't think it looked good, but just didn't want to go down that road.

This sucks, though. Anyone know if it has any kind online activation/communication?

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johnny V comming to GB lets hope so but really I hope his job is ok or he has somthing ligned up

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

:O damn man. Damn. Surprising.

Sounds like Disney is just stepping out of the game making game huh?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

I thought these Infinity games were wildly successful. Was I just ignorant?

Are we still getting Star Wars games? I need a lot of them.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Johnny V to Sony or Iron Galaxy. Calling it right now. ?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By paulmako

Huh? I thought toys to life were still doing well?

I guess they will just farm out all their licenses at this point. Kind of makes sense to just let established developers handle their properties if they aren't really interested in going hard on videogames themselves.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a category Toys to Life was only up 4% year to year. That is bad considering that Lego Dimensions was new to market, Amiibo exploded in figure count, and Infinity had a Star Wars themed edition.

Toys to Life has become the music game genre. Once the stores get flooded with all of this proprietary plastic, it turns consumers away.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m1k3: Going to Sony seems like a safe bet.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Johnny V can't catch a break. This is a shitty move, a lot of people are going to get laid off because of this.

Maybe JV can do Marlon Brando E-sports full time?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#14  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

They had to have employed a ton of people for that, right? Shit, that sucks.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15 FinalDasa  Moderator

@spoonman671: They were successful, especially 2.0. But I don't think they were a runaway success. Disney cites shifting exchange rates and the strengthening American Dollar as a main reason for the loss.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So uh, this means I'll be able to grab the Star Wars stuff for cheap, right?

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So now Disney will sell it's game rights just like they did with Star Wars. EA to make the power play and buy Disney/Marvel game rights to go with Star Wars?

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: Avalanche Studios developed the game, plus the manpower needed to publish as it was published under Disney Interactive.

Disney has been under fire from shareholders ever since ESPN started slipping with subscriber counts and as revenue. They are cutting anything that is under performing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

After all this time and energy they invested into it the earning must have really not been that great to just sweep it all under the rug and lay off 300 people.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArtisanBreads

If they double down on licensing this is a positive to me. Don't care about that whole genre and would love to see traditional games with those licenses instead.

Unfortunate people are out of jobs of course.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roughly 300 people are gonna be laid off as a result if the articles are correct.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

This is kind of surprising. I was under the impression that Infinity did REALLY well, but I guess that's still not well enough for them to want to keep it afloat. I have an old friend who just lost his job there today, and according to him, they're still keeping their mobile games division open, so they're not getting completely out of games it seems, though they might as well be.

What a bummer for everyone there, including poor old Johnny V. who can't seem to settle anywhere. Good luck to everyone landing back on their feet!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Wow I didn't see this coming.

Good luck to all those this effects.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johnny V can't catch a break, huh? This is weird, I thought it was a succesful series for them.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SethMode

@artisanbreads: I like Infinity, but it would be nice to see them license the stuff out...but let's remember who we're talking about here. Disney has been weirdly protective of their license stuff forever, games included. Fingers crossed this doesn't have them running for the hills across the board when it comes to games.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I don't care anything about Infinity, but now I just feel bad for Johnny V. Hope he finds a new job quickly.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Ah I see now. Cancelling at first made it sound like they were pulling the service. I guess in reality they still have two expansions coming out soon, after which they will be stopping any and all future development.

This is kind of surprising. I was under the impression that Infinity did REALLY well, but I guess that's still not well enough for them to want to keep it afloat.

Yeah I really don't think this has anything to do with the success or failure of Disney Infinity. It sounds more like a company direction thing. Consoles games are expensive to make yadda yadda yadda maybe they'd rather just license their IP to existing companies. Makes a world of sense I think, but not trying to take away how much this sucks for employees.

I cannot CANNOT wait for Johnny V to be on the podcast.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Dixavd

Dude, what?! Hope there aren't a load of people without jobs.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FinalDasa  Moderator

@geraltitude: According to their investor press release it did indeed have to do with money. Disney Infinity was starting to cost more than it made just to maintain it even without major new additions or releases. So they cut the project and gave up publishing altogether.

I'm sure seeing EA make Star Wars games for them helps to make that decision.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Didn't they JUST announce Infinity 3.0? This is just the weirdest news. Also, the closing of Avalanche seems a little extreme.

To be fair, the toys-to-games thing wasn't going to last long, just like the plastic instrument business. However, Infinity was a genuinely excellent example of how to make those games work. I wonder if the Star Wars sets just didn't quite catch on or what.

Also, as everyone has said already, I hope Johnny V isn't too hurt by this, as he's totally awesome and this seemed like a dream for him. I hope all the people being let go from the Avalanche closing will get back on their feet soon.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m1k3: Going to Sony seems like a safe bet.

Once Lang leaves that crackerjack operation he's at now and comes to Sony as well, all three of them will be reunited as was their destiny all along.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FinalDasa  Moderator

@jakob187: Infinity 3.0 came out in August of 2015.

Avalanche has been around since 1995, seems crazy to just close a 300 person studio like this. Disney doesn't play around I guess :/

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really those people will be put out of work. Those 300 people that were doing it to make a living? Now what?!

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For JV. Best in the Biz, Best For Next.
For JV. Best in the Biz, Best For Next.

Loved the idea, was hoping to play it with my kids in the future. Condolences to all effected.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah it's a real bummer :(

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a shock and a shame. The series was a solid critical success and I was under the impression the game was doing well commercially too. I hope Johnny V, Matt Pascal, and all of the others impacted by the closure land on their feet.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not shocked but it is a bummer. Guess I better pick up those figures I've been meaning to get before they get stupid hard to find.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

weird, i thought Disney and Skylanders were huge. Guess not huge enough.

Hows Skylanders doing compared to infinity?

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

:(

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@sethmode said:

@artisanbreads: I like Infinity, but it would be nice to see them license the stuff out...but let's remember who we're talking about here. Disney has been weirdly protective of their license stuff forever, games included. Fingers crossed this doesn't have them running for the hills across the board when it comes to games.

I would agree except how they have been with Star Wars lately. Hopefully that stuff does well and we get big Marvel games. I would like to see that at least and hope it won't go that way where they don't even license.

EDIT: I also see in that Gamespot statement they said they are "moving to a licensing model" which sounds like an increased effort there. I feel like they wouldn't bring it up as much if they just were backing away from even licensing. But of course we will see.

Crackinwise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m1k3: He's got good friends in high places. JV will be alright

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1