• 139 results
Transitional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Transitional

Unfortunately following what seems to be a trend for DmC: Devil May Cry, its newest release has now shown to be severely under preforming in the PAL territories.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition

PS4 (56%)

XBO (44%)

06 (NE) PS4 DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 4,498

18(NE) XBO DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 3,534

Oh well, they tried at least. I think Capcom did everything right by the fans in terms of listening to the complaints about the shallow combat system and implementing community mods to try and fix the game, it just wasn't enough ultimately. They should be commended for a worthy effort though. Here's hoping they don't axe the Devil May Cry brand entirely and that the DMC4SE pulls through and gives us a worthy installment in the genre.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Humanity

I would be really surprised if the DMC4 SE did better than DmC: Definitive but stranger things have happened. I don't say this to mock DMC4 but simply because that particular game has a real niche fanbase.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I loved DmC but I just have no interest in buying it again. It was way too soon to release it again even if it fixed a lot.

Also I would actually expect DMC4 SE to do worse.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

What is it about this game that brings out all the crazies?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I picked it up but only because I missed it first time around. Its great but, if you've already been there, all that's missing for you (unless you really need 60FPS) is DLC which is already available on the earlier platforms. That said, I do wonder about the economics of a re-release. You'd imagine there's lower dev costs involved so what numbers do they need to consider this a success?

Transitional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Transitional

@kidavenger said:

Bullying and ad hominem attacks do not offer anything productive here and only serve to antagonize others. Please be mature and refrain from doing so as to not derail the discussion. Thank you.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i just came to laugh at definition edition :P i don't care about the devil may cry series i only own the hd collection cause it was mega cheap but i was smart enough not to play 2

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

Having the PC version I kind of want to get this but really only for the ability to play it without being at my PC. Also...After playing Bayonetta 2 I kind of just want to play more of that if I were to play this style of game.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This all sounds very familiar, like the halcyon days of @brighty DMC threads.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

I can't help but feel like releasing re-done versions of DmC and DMC4 is testing the waters to see which game people would like to see a sequel of, which is why I've never bought DmC and never will, and will buy DMC4 for the third time.

Delex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Delex

@ll_exile_ll:

Dude was legend. I miss his insane (and albeit eventually charming) updates on how terribly DmC was underperforming and how much he swears he doesn't hate the game

@Humanity probably had the greatest post of all time in his thread "NPD rankings are in, DmC bombs in the US and worldwide" on page 3

Wonder whatever happened to that guy? Dude probably had a heart attack when they announced Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I'm not the biggest Devil May Cry fan (nor its biggest hater), but I would be way more likely to buy a second copy of DMC than to buy a first copy of Devil May Cry 4 after having rented it and seen what it had to offer. Both approaches were probably the wrong ones to bring in additional fans, if that's what they were after.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By august

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition

PS4 (56%)

XBO (44%)

What are these percentages meant to represent? Because I checked metacritic and that's not the scores.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@august: they represent the percentage of sales in each console

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Here's me crossing my fingers that DMC4 SE does better and that somehow influences the direction of the next game.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As someone from a PAL territory, I wasn't even aware this was a thing, and I know of no-one who will buy it. When did it even come out?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By musubi

I mean, not surprising. Its a re-release of an old game I don't think any of these things really do gangbusters other than possibly the Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid HD releases.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hate this game, his haircut is all wrong. I only like characters with medium length hair.

Transitional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Transitional
@kidavenger said:

@transitional said:

@kidavenger said:

Bullying and ad hominem attacks do not offer anything productive here and only serve to antagonize others. Please be mature and refrain from doing so as to not derail the discussion. Thank you.

You are the one bullying an inanimate object, Having a negative agenda against a specific videogame that spans years is crazy.

I'll respond to this just so this topic doesn't get derailed further and we can get back on track to the discussion at hand. Be relieved, because fortunately due to the laws of physics and the rules of nature it is literally impossible to bully an inanimate object, and to imply such a thing is rather unhealthy in it's own right. It's a videogame, it doesn't have feelings. It will be okay. The rest of your post doesn't make any sense either. There is no negative agenda here, and even if there were - hating a videogame isn't crazy. Jeff has insane amounts of vitriol about several videogame franchises and doesn't have an issue with going off on extreme tangents about how much he despises them (for the record I merely typed in "Jeff Gerstmann hates" into Youtube and picked two videos at random, but I recall several other games he absolutely loathes on the podcast - Majora's Mask being another one).

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Jeff Gerstmann isn't crazy, he's opinionated. And that's okay. People are allowed to not care for a videogame if they want to, it doesn't make them crazy. Please do not personally attack me or anyone else who does not share your opinion about this game in this thread, please.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yeah, no shit, it's a re-release of a character action game from two years ago, a monkey could predict the sales figures for that.

bbillade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkvare: So basically it just means it sold better on PS4 than on XBox One. That doesn't mean it sold poorly. It might have sold 5 million copies across the two consoles for all we know.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, no shit, it's a re-release of a character action game from two years ago, a monkey could predict the sales figures for that.

Sadly, Capcom cannot afford to hire a monkey.

Yeah, this isn't too surprising. The people who played that game initially got most of what they wanted out of it. Is the new version better? Definitely. But not to the point where people will flock to spend new-game money on it.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@transitional: I think you are missing what is crazy about all this, Jeff doesn't dwell on the games he dislikes; he offers his thoughts then he gets on with his life.

You've posted nothing on these forums other than hate for this one particular game; for over two years this has been your only agenda; that is what makes this crazy.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbillade said:

@darkvare: So basically it just means it sold better on PS4 than on XBox One. That doesn't mean it sold poorly. It might have sold 5 million copies across the two consoles for all we know.

It has the sales figures in the op....

Transitional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@delex said:

@ll_exile_ll:

Dude was legend. I miss his insane (and albeit eventually charming) updates on how terribly DmC was underperforming and how much he swears he doesn't hate the game

@Humanity probably had the greatest post of all time in his thread "NPD rankings are in, DmC bombs in the US and worldwide" on page 3

Wonder whatever happened to that guy? Dude probably had a heart attack when they announced Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition

This thread isn't nearly as transparent as Brighty was back in the good old days. His updates were amazing though. "By the way guys, this game is still doing terrible and everyone hates it, not that I do, but everyone does and it's just fact the numbers don't lie."

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's a port to more powerful systems. They probably still made money.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@transitional: I guess that makes DmC officially a sleeper hit. Critically amazing game that slipped under the radar for many folks. Too bad more people won't get to play it. It's basically the ultimate Devil May Cry experience.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@transitional: Is there any info on what Capcom expected from this re-release. A game can only "underperform" if its sales are less than what was anticipated. From just those numbers alone, no accurate conclusion can be drawn, so boldly claiming that this version of this game "bombed" just doesn't make a lot of sense.

DmC DE isn't #1 on the charts, but no one expected it to be. It's a prettied up version of an already pretty 2 year old game that is fresh in a lot of folks' minds still from when they already enjoyed it. And the extra difficulties only appeal to a small fraction of the audience. Really, the fact that it's at 6th and 18th place surrounded by a bunch of new releases actually seems pretty good to me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Brighty, is that you?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I had the same thought.

Transitional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transitional said:

@drebin_893 said:

@transitional: What is your opinion of new-Dante's hair?

I don't have an opinion on it. Why?

I just think it's pretty dope hair.

I know the hair was a point of contention that the media created to try and be reductive about why old DMC fans didn't like the new DmC, and it seems like you're trying to be rather passive aggressive about it. Come now, we're better than that.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@theht said:

@transitional: I guess that makes DmC officially a sleeper hit. Critically amazing game that slipped under the radar for many folks. Too bad more people won't get to play it. It's basically the ultimate Devil May Cry experience.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. 3 is.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By andrew2696

Okay so DmC: Definition Edition bombed but what about DmC: Definite Edition?

But I remember two years ago when I just read threads about people acting like this game kicked them in the shins and then stole their dog and that made me want to avoid any and all talk about DmC. Just good lord. If I had a list of most unpleasant fan reactions it'd be DmC, Star Trek Into Darkness, and Mass Effect 3 talk all fighting for top spot.

Transitional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Transitional

@kidavenger said:

@transitional: I think you are missing what is crazy about all this, Jeff doesn't dwell on the games he dislikes; he offers his thoughts then he gets on with his life.

You've posted nothing on these forums other than hate for this one particular game; for over two years this has been your only agenda; that is what makes this crazy.

You speak like you know him personally. That's kind of creepy. I don't know what Jeff thinks and what he does to get on with his own life, and it's weird for a random user to proclaim they do IMO.

As a fan of Majora's Mask and avid listener of the Bombcast I didn't much care for Jeff reiterating how much he hated the game every time it came up in discussion (even in passing). It was funny at first, but then it just became somewhat mean spirited. But I don't think he's crazy, I think he's just opinionated. I don't agree with his opinion, but I wouldn't attack him personally and insult his character about it.

I think your issue is you assume that you know strangers and how they think intimately based off some random observations you've made and you draw sprawling conclusions based on that. I don't post here, I haven't even thought about this game after it came and went. I think you should stop being so presumptuous and please get back to the topic at hand - that is if you have anything to contribute besides trolling.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transitional: and your topic was "omg game bombed so here's hoping we get the game we deserve"?

I guess I fail to see what discussion there is here. ...or I stumbled into mmorpg.com.

Delex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrew2696:

Lol. The page is spelled wrong, this topic is spelled wrong, no one can get this game's subtitle right.

To be fair, definition edition sounds way cooler than definitive edition.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By andrew2696

@delex: Ha I didn't look at the actual box art. I just trusted the game wiki page.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I always get the feeling that if DMC went by something else like "Angels May Smile" the game wouldn't get half the backlash it did. I think in a perfect universe Capcom just makes a canonical sequel of the original devil may cry storyline and continues DMC 2 as a parallel universe side story. Who is also to say that with all these poor sales of DMC that Capcom won't just shut the books on the franchise completely or lay off on it for awhile, who knows this day and age.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Brendan

I'll pick this game up at some point when it's cheaper or (fingers crossed) if it comes to PS+. I had a ton of fun the first time around but didn't really dig into it on the 360. The sales numbers aren't surprising though; a rerelease of a relatively recent game is going to have a long slow tail, not a big initial haul.

As for what this means for the series? I don't think it makes much of a difference. I didn't realize until recently that DMC4, the highest selling game in the franchise, only sold 2.9 million copies. This series has an ardent fanbase in forums but with each iteration only selling in the 2 million range I don't think Devil May Cry has the popularity to support the production costs of a new title that will live up to expectations. It's a shame because DmC was awesome, but I don't expect new from-the-ground-up titles from this series any time soon.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom, drop the price to $19.99. I will buy. hell I might even be tempted at $29.99.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm getting weird flashbacks from 2 years ago where people would gloat about how poorly this game did the first time it was released.

Also I will still likely purchase this at some point down the line. DmC may not be DMC3, but it was still a solid action game.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, statistics...

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 14 March 2015

Credit: http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

DmC: Definitive Edition was released on March 10th, so it had only 4 days in the retail channel.

GfK doesn't track digital sales, AFAIK?

And of course... Cor, blimey, guv. I didn't know the rest of Europe was considered part of good ol' Blighty! God save the Queen, and all that then, innit?!

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Really? This again. I'll go take a nap. On a side note, the gif of Brad talking about DmC is not showing up after uploading URL address. http://i.minus.com/ibiY2wIhOuaJGs.gif

http://www.giantbomb.com/dmc-devil-may-cry/3030-32686/forums/npd-rankings-are-in-dmc-bombs-in-the-us-and-world--1424617/#210

http://www.giantbomb.com/dmc-devil-may-cry/3030-32686/forums/capcom-takes-special-loss-blames-excessive-outsour-1433122/#106

http://www.giantbomb.com/dmc-devil-may-cry/3030-32686/forums/npd-numbers-1424736/#4

http://www.giantbomb.com/dmc-devil-may-cry/3030-32686/forums/dmc-ships-1-million-copies-forecast-lowered-to-12--577572/#200

http://www.giantbomb.com/dmc-devil-may-cry/3030-32686/forums/dmc-sells-13rd-of-what-dmc4-did-in-first-week-in-t-575924/#191

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also, PRO TIP: If you are still upset about DmC becoming what it has, just pacify yourself with a Wii U, The Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2. I am confident that you will forget all about Devil May Cry by the time you're finished with those.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome game, loved it to death!

Sad it didn't do well on re-release, but hey, that does not take away from how awesome the game is.