DmC: Definition Edition bombs internationally

• 139 results
PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Like when it came out, I'd really rather just play DMC3 and this game has been discounted on Steam many times over already.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I've only played DMC 1 and 3 SE on PS2 despite getting DMC for PS3 free with PS Plus. It isn't really my type of game. DMC3 SE was pretty good but I lost interest like I do with too many games.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

How did it do in the States? How do most of these reissues do (ie. Saints Row IV, GTA V, etc.)? Do these numbers track digital sales?

For only $40 I'd like to buy the game, especially since I really enjoyed it on PS3 but got it through PS+ (when I first got my PS4 I bought Tomb Raider's Definitive Edition for the same reason) but I'm not working right now so I can't really justify it, especially since I'm not good enough to enjoy this game on the harder difficulties.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it did sell pretty bad to begin with, so it makes even more sense it would sell substantially less. Especially since a good about of the people that bought probably hated it. I have no idea why people think the DMC4 one is going to do worse. It's the second most popular game in the franchise, it's been more than two years since it came out, and it's adding MOTIVATION. Then again in really optimistic it'll do alright because I want an actual continuation of 4 and I want food combat again.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would've bought it if didn't release so close to Majora's Mask 3d / Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate / Resident Evil Revelations 2 / Hotline Miami 2 / Bloodborne / Axiom Verge.

There were many droughts where it would make sense to play through this again, capcom chose poorly (competing with their own products even...)

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It was a really cool game but the people who wanted to play it likely already did.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I dunno if that counts as bombing, guess it depends on the time frame and whether digital sales are included.
I'm planning on getting it whenever I get a PS4, I've not played any DmC game before but it looks cool and it probably wont cost much more than the last gen version by the time I get to it -shrug-

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By Humanity

@jesushammer said:

Well it did sell pretty bad to begin with, so it makes even more sense it would sell substantially less. Especially since a good about of the people that bought probably hated it. I have no idea why people think the DMC4 one is going to do worse. It's the second most popular game in the franchise, it's been more than two years since it came out, and it's adding MOTIVATION. Then again in really optimistic it'll do alright because I want an actual continuation of 4 and I want food combat again.

People don't have high hopes for DMC4 SE because it's a really old game that at the time of release was almost as polarizing as DmC with a good many DMC fans really not liking it. From the outset almost everyone hated Nero, didn't like what they did with Vergil and when they finally got to Dante they didn't like what they did with his style switching. Add to that the fact that apart from the combat which some fans warmed up to, it has an abysmal story and some of the worst level design ever to grace a character action game. Recycled bosses, recycled areas, horrible minigames and puzzles. The combat was the only saving grace in what was otherwise a game that seemed rushed and poorly designed. It has taken many years and yet another polarizing entry in the series for people to start coming around and saying that DMC4 actually wasn't that bad.

So all that considering, I don't really know how many people are itching to buy it, especially since it has been on sale numerous times for pennies on Steam. Like I said though, maybe it will surprise us - although considering that Bayonetta 1 which was superior to DMC in almost every way didn't sell very well and despite stellar reviews Bayonetta 2 sold even worse I don't have high hopes for any character action game at this point.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By pyrodactyl

I'm just looking forward to DMC5 at this point so we can all look at the sales figures be about as shitty as DmC's were and move on with our lives. Character action games don't sell anymore. Deal with it.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger said:

What is it about this game that brings out all the crazies?

I had the same thought.

I don't think the detractors of the game were ever crazy. They were deliberately baited by both the developer and the games media after release even when their dislike was understandable. DMC has (or had) a pretty hardcore fanbase built around combo videos/competitions and the like. DmC, for them, was the equivalent of taking something like Street Fighter, removing half the mechanics, slowing it down by half and adding a new coat of paint and redesigning Ryu. I can't imagine the latter fanbase would react particularly well to that either.

I don't even dislike DmC, and I can understand the fanbase's problem with the game.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I really don't know why did capcom chose to release DmC before DMC4. Since DMC4 is the old game here unlike DmC which is still fairly new.

Overall, I think that DMC4 have a better chance to sell more than DmC due to age difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing game but like others have said, this came out way too quick. But studios aren't really making new games so at least they are keeping some people employed through re-releases.

Best DMC game though. I HATED 1-4, but the tone, style, and just plain fun of DmC made it one of my top games of 2015. Shame it came out so early that year, caused it to be forgotten for a lot of GOTY talks.

Side note: the long span trolling of this topic is pretty amazing. Horrible, but amazing it's still going on.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By mike

I really just want another DMC game in the hopes that someone on staff will comment on how shitty it is, then I can enjoy watching people lose their minds in the comments section.

That could be any number of games, though. Zelda, Metal Gear, musou anything...hmm I'm seeing a pattern here.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

1) liberal use of the word "Bombs"

2) too soon to say?

3) how relevant are definitive edition sales, at all, to anybody? These are games made for A) people who missed a game when it came out B) didn't own that console and C) maybe will buy the game again ; it is not a First Release or indicative of very much at all other than how Game Starved some markets/people are, maybe.

4) "International" makes no sense at all. These aren't movies. In the Game World there is effectively AMERICA, EUROPE and JAPAN. Sorry to the rest of us, who live in data irrelevant/devoid places.

5) what were the sales of all previous editions of all DMC games in all regions? That is the information we need to have any sort of interesting conversation

6) describing the game as having "shallow" combat in a thread with the header "Bombs" in it instantly paints you as a negative nancy that few would be interested in talking with unless they hold the exact same opinion as you / want to yell at you

7) I wish there was a Flag Thread option, this whole thing is nothing but an argument generator

8) Back to helldivers!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: What if they make Dante a girl, and Virgil a girl, and it's the Daughter's of Sparta?

I think the internet community would take kindly to that.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gaff said:

Oh, statistics...

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 14 March 2015

Credit: http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

DmC: Definitive Edition was released on March 10th, so it had only 4 days in the retail channel.

GfK doesn't track digital sales, AFAIK?

And of course... Cor, blimey, guv. I didn't know the rest of Europe was considered part of good ol' Blighty! God save the Queen, and all that then, innit?!

Add to the fact that console games 95% of the time come out on a Friday regardless of the US release date, that leaves 1 day.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game had an excellent PC release. Everyone who bought that game and wanted it too be pretty and 60 fps already did. Sorry, Capcom. You should have added content worth the price of admission. When "definitive edition" goes wrong. I'm not paying $50 for the privilege of a 20% faster mode with lockon and an censored opening scene.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: That just sounds like Bayonetta, so yeah I think as a fan of DMC and Bayo I'd probably buy that. Man I really wish Platinum and Capcom would be on good terms because a DMCXBAYO sounds like it might be the best game ever.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69  Edited By gaminghooligan

I'm really enjoying it as I play it for the first time, however I can understand why it's not performing. It's coming out around the same time as Battlefield and Bloodbourne. It already has a small audience, but anyone that may have repurchased due to having nothing to play is most likely waiting for one of the two major releases. I think while the new style serves it well, it also confuses people into thinking it's an older game since they see DMC on a shelf next to say DMC 4 (having worked at a game retailer you wouldn't believe how often this happens) which doesn't help it either. It'll have it's time however, games like this usually need a slow build to get people to pay attention. The first Metro sold like garbage at my store, but after about a year people realized what they were missing. Great game either way, this and the new Tomb Raider give me hope that this trend of rebooting stale franchises continues.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I severely hope this isn't part of a Capcom market strategy to "gauge interest" in the Devil May Cry franchise. Using a re-release of a 2-year old game to gauge interest seems like exactly the sort of misguided thing Capcom would do, so I hope for the sake of a DMC5 that isn't the case.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what, I want to play this game again. I'm gonna buy this definition edition just so I can experience it again.

Thanks OP for bringing it up :) You gave me a hankering to play it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I severely hope this isn't part of a Capcom market strategy to "gauge interest" in the Devil May Cry franchise. Using a re-release of a 2-year old game to gauge interest seems like exactly the sort of misguided thing Capcom would do, so I hope for the sake of a DMC5 that isn't the case.

They're not just doing that though, they're also doing a re-release of a 7-year-old game to gauge interest in a new Devil May Cry.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By kubqo

Forgive my ignorance, but how did you extract those numbers (circa 9000 units). I dont see it anywhere in that post (not even mentioning the reliability). And that number sounds so unrealisticaly low i just cant believe it.
And also i dont think it needs to sell per se, just get the name of the game into peoples minds that werent familiar with it is enough. Key word: I think.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't DMC HD Collection at some point sell much better (and beat LTD) than DmC? You'd think Capcom would have gotten the message back then. It's not even gloating or anything but DmC did the worst of all Devil May Cry's. I think the fans -regardless of what you think of them- have spoken. It's time for DMC to return to its roots.

For the record, I didn't find DmC bad. I found it terrible. Especially after replaying DMC3 HD. I'm glad now we can start hyping up DMC4: SE.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Bombed first time so it's not surprising it happens again. Looks like more casual players are totally not into it and nothing will help. Hope they will not scrape DMC 4 cuz that's the one I want to try again.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved this game and it certainly didn't set the world on fire when it came out, but I think it's a little too early to call this game dead on arrival. That said, the updated version was pretty much unnecessary in the first place so it's not a huge shocker to hear that it isn't performing well.

New Dante has cooler hair.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

This thread now reaffirms the idea that people are always infinitely more likely to view and/or comment in a negative thread than a positive one.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@dudeglove said:

and you can beat the last boss by standing really far away and shooting with your pistols for about 10 minutes.

Well, for a long time you could stand very far away and spam poison magic against the final boss of a peculiar game called Demon's Souls. Alternatively you could pepper him with arrows while he just stood there. That was Demon's Souls, a game not heralded as the best game ever in each of the 36 dimensions or anything.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Y'know what, I liked DmC. The combat wasn't deep, but I liked what they did with the level design. It went against the sterile aesthetic of every other game.

Also I love how people are somehow angry at DmC, yet in contrast are merely depressed at DMC2. So I plan to change that.

The second DMC game was a steaming pile of shit with absolutely no personality (hell, you fight a tank at one point), and is genuinely broken in places (literally standing in one spot would cause enemy AI to crap out), and you can beat the last boss by standing really far away and shooting with your pistols for about 10 minutes.

If there's any apologists for DMC2 out there, I want to hear from them, because I don't know how anyone can defend that garbage.

I think it's easy for people to wave DMC2 away because it came out 12 years ago and has been all but disowned by the fanbase and Capcom itself as a fluke. DmC is, by contrast, a reboot that was ostensibly supposed to be the new direction for the franchise and that is some sort of affront to the hardcore faithful I guess.

But seriously, having played DMC2 within the last 18 months, holy shit that game is awful. It's lazy, boring and brain-dead easy.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#83  Edited By Hunter5024

I wonder how people will react if the HD edition of the 4th game comes out and it sells terribly.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

@hunter5024: I think that has to happen, unless people that didn't get the WiiU are super hungry for that type of a game. Other than that I cannot see it selling really well.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That bums me out incredibly. That game deserves more success.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suspect Itsuno is already working on DMC5, since he didn't get to do his Dragon's Dogma sequel.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@mb said:

Brighty, is that you?

I understood that reference!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great game but I've no reason to re-buy it. It hasn't really been advertised over here either.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#89  Edited By golguin

@trafalgarlaw said:

Didn't DMC HD Collection at some point sell much better (and beat LTD) than DmC? You'd think Capcom would have gotten the message back then. It's not even gloating or anything but DmC did the worst of all Devil May Cry's. I think the fans -regardless of what you think of them- have spoken. It's time for DMC to return to its roots.

For the record, I didn't find DmC bad. I found it terrible. Especially after replaying DMC3 HD. I'm glad now we can start hyping up DMC4: SE.

The fans spoke loud and clear when DmC was approaching release and they talked about the issues they had with the game. When the video game media discounted all the criticism as "oh they're mad about the white hair" people got the opportunity to vote with their wallets and vote they did.

You would think that was enough to bring the series back on course (the course preferred by the actual fans of the series), but instead we get this additional test to see what rerelease sells more. People will buy DMC4: SE for Virgil.

For the record I did play and beat DmC just so I could know. What I found was on okay game with some pretty big issues.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The more and more I think about it I think making this game was a mistake. I love it personally but absolutely hate all previois Devil May Cry stuff. I really don't want to see a 5th old game and the old fans would hate to see a second DmC. They Would have been better off putting down Devil May Cry for good and making DmC it's own thing.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater said:

@captain_felafel said:

They're not just doing that though, they're also doing a re-release of a 7-year-old game to gauge interest in a new Devil May Cry.

A re-release I am thoroughly excited to play! But I have misgivings about a DMC4 re-release selling gangbusters either...

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

The fans spoke loud and clear when DmC was approaching release and they talked about the issues they had with the game.

Those issues not being valid at all, seeing as the game hadn't been released yet.

Believe it or not, a lot of fans indeed were just mad about the hair and that's hilarious.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this game and no one can stop meeeeeee!

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Alkaiser

I think regardless of whether or not you like new DMC or old DMC it tanking twice is bad in general. I'd always like to see more character action games, regardless of if I like the developer or not.

I'd love to see a sequel to DmC, but I would honestly hope that it would have a different developer (whether in-house at Capcom or giving some other studio a shot) because goddamn have I found out that I hate Ninja Theory games in retrospect. Heavenly Sword was friggin garbage, and Enslaved was okay I guess but nothing really special. But maybe I'd be less harsh on both of them if not for the absolutely glowing reviews of "Look at the face models!" or "We got this guy from Lord of the Rings to do motion capture!" or whatever. I feel like Ninja Theory is the David Cage of action games in that everyone loses their shit for them and I just can't see why.

But man, Heavenly Sword. F that game for real.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Unfortunately following what seems to be a trend for DmC: Devil May Cry, its newest release has now shown to be severely under preforming in the PAL territories.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition

PS4 (56%)

XBO (44%)

06 (NE) PS4 DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 4,498

18(NE) XBO DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 3,534

Oh well, they tried at least. I think Capcom did everything right by the fans in terms of listening to the complaints about the shallow combat system and implementing community mods to try and fix the game, it just wasn't enough ultimately. They should be commended for a worthy effort though. Here's hoping they don't axe the Devil May Cry brand entirely and that the DMC4SE pulls through and gives us a worthy installment in the genre.

Wait, wait, WAIT. So the game has a 56% and 44% attach rate on PS4 and XBO respectively and it sold 8 million copies? In what world is this bombing?!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@nictel: It didn't sell 8 million copies.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@golguin said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

The fans spoke loud and clear when DmC was approaching release and they talked about the issues they had with the game. When the video game media discounted all the criticism as "oh they're mad about the white hair" people got the opportunity to vote with their wallets and vote they did.

You would think that was enough to bring the series back on course (the course preferred by the actual fans of the series), but instead we get this additional test to see what rerelease sells more. People will buy DMC4: SE for Virgil.

For the record I did play and beat DmC just so I could know. What I found was on okay game with some pretty big issues.

I'm more of a fan of old DMC than the new one, but there is no way DMC 4 is gonna do much better. I doubt the fans of the originals make up enough people to live up to whatever Capcom's expectations are.

@golguin said:

The fans spoke loud and clear when DmC was approaching release and they talked about the issues they had with the game.

Those issues not being valid at all, seeing as the game hadn't been released yet.

Believe it or not, a lot of fans indeed were just mad about the hair and that's hilarious.

I'm not mad because I thought DmC was a good game, probably on my top 10 that year, but that new Dante wasn't the Dante I was attached to and the older series ended on a fucking cliffhanger.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: So did it sell 8000 copies then? What are those numbers if not sales?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@nictel said:

@transitional said:

Unfortunately following what seems to be a trend for DmC: Devil May Cry, its newest release has now shown to be severely under preforming in the PAL territories.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition

PS4 (56%)

XBO (44%)

06 (NE) PS4 DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 4,498

18(NE) XBO DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 3,534

Oh well, they tried at least. I think Capcom did everything right by the fans in terms of listening to the complaints about the shallow combat system and implementing community mods to try and fix the game, it just wasn't enough ultimately. They should be commended for a worthy effort though. Here's hoping they don't axe the Devil May Cry brand entirely and that the DMC4SE pulls through and gives us a worthy installment in the genre.

Wait, wait, WAIT. So the game has a 56% and 44% attach rate on PS4 and XBO respectively and it sold 8 million copies? In what world is this bombing?!

I think those percentages just show the split between platforms. 56% of copies sold were on PS4, 44% were on The Bone.