4k Patch Makes My PS4 Pro Fans Extremely Loud

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xanadu

I am mostly just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I wanted to check out the 4k doom patch for ps4 pro. It looks pretty nice but for some reason it makes my ps4 sound like a jet engine is about take off. I'm honestly not even sure how to explain how loud the fans were running. It was so loud I felt uncomfortable playing the game and turned it off.

Now I feel like my ps4 pro in general is kind of loud. But when I play other games in "4k" like Burnout Revenge Paradise or Dragon Ball FighterZ, the fan's dont kick in nearly as loud as when I was playing Doom. I even felt the need to take off the top of my ps4 and blow out the fans a few weeks ago before this patch came out. It really wasn't even dusty at all so I chalked it up to being a loud machine. But this was really too loud for comfort so I'm wondering if this is an issue with my ps4 or if it's more wide spread.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I'm going to go ahead and say that Doom is probably pushing that poor machine to the absolute limits, given the amount of stuff popping off in that game and how stupidly optimised for high-end it is. It's a miracle they could do 4K with that game and your fans are probably real sore that they even tried. It's definitely more strenuous than Burnout and much more ambitious that DBFZ.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Playing battlefront 2 on my ps4 pro with a normal ass tv makes my console sound like nails on a chalkboard. Only game ive noticed that happening.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps4 is struggling to stay cool because the game is pressing your hardware pretty hard morst likely

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ghost_cat

As long as you only listen to your eyes, then you'll hardly even notice.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

You just don't have the game turned up loud enough.

...but seriously, Doom requires more processing power than Dragonball or Burnout and thus your PS4 produces more heat and thus the fans spin harder.

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, your PS4 is spicy! My fans on a base ps4 don't even make a sound when playing Monster Hunter all day, but half way through Thor: Ragnarok (Mini Review: Beautiful cinematography and music, humor was hit and miss, but mostly hit, Cate Blanchett was pure fun, would be a great Maleficent. 9/10 best Thor movie) my fans were so loud I had to turn the movie up.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@aviont: Hold on. Not to derail this thread but playing a movie stresses a PS4? I don't know dick about computers but if its not having to render anything why would it push the console?

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

My base second gen (not the slim, the gen before that) PS4 gets very loud playing Monster Hunter (just the menu kicks it up real loud) and Ni No Kuni 2. I didnt think Pros could get loud like that. I was thinking about getting a Pro just for the processing power and hoping that it would be quiter, so maybe i'll wait now.

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aviont

@hayt: you should play a blu-ray on a fat original PS3 then. I recently took mine apart, dusted it, and new heatsink putty, and that thing still turns into a mini jet engine.

Edit: I don't know enough either to say why a blu-ray does this... Or it is just my luck with consoles (also have a slim ps3 that does this with the sliding lid, but that disc drive has one foot in the grave)

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I def get that doom is gonna push my system harder then most games but I find it strange that the game does mostly run at 60fps. To me, being able to display that high of a frame rate means the game really isn't taxing the system all that much. So the frame rate mixed with the extreme fan spinning is peculiar to me.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My PS4 pro was extremely loud all through Horizon; Zero Dawn. It was new so that bothered me.

@aviont My disc drive was replaced by Sony on my original fat PS3

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: no its the opposite, in order to maintain those framerates its pushing your hardware to the limit.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm dreading the patch download if I ever replay this.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@xanadu said:

I def get that doom is gonna push my system harder then most games but I find it strange that the game does mostly run at 60fps. To me, being able to display that high of a frame rate means the game really isn't taxing the system all that much. So the frame rate mixed with the extreme fan spinning is peculiar to me.

higher resolution means that its taxing the hardware more no matter what, but Doom is one of the games that switches resolution to keep it at 60fps as much as it can. Its more then likely pushing it to 4k as much as it can, then dropping resolution to something it can still push 60fps where is needs. Im sure Digital Foundry will have a look at the new patch and see if its a solid 4k 60fps, but my guess is that its not.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xanadu

@lego_my_eggo: it's definitely not 100% 60fps all the time but it's pretty close. I notice hitches in melee mostly but they're pretty quick.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

But when I play other games in "4k" like Burnout Revenge

back the fuck up, did you mean to say burnout paradise or is there a way to play burnout revenge on a ps4 pro in 4K I don't know about? not being an ass, I just genuinely love burnout revenge

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: Apologies. My hopes and dreams must have taken over my brain.