Input lag on xbox series x

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

i played through a bit of this game on Steam when it came out (using mouse and keyboard) and it ran totally fine on my laptop, but i got a Series X a few months ago and decided to give the console version a try and the input lag makes this game unplayable. yes, my tv is in game mode, all post-processing turned off, no other game gets input lag this bad. i don't understand how anybody can play the console version of this game, it's terrible.

is this just me? is this a Series X thing? was it this bad on Xbox One? or any of the playstation consoles?? this is the first console i've owned since 360 (not including Switch) so i mostly missed out on last gen.

ps. i bring this up now because Jeff Grubb mentioned on the latest GrubbSnax that Doom 2016 is an example of a game that runs great everywhere which blew my mind because it's so bad on console.

jagerxbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't play consoles that often but I thought Game Mode was specifically what you don't want

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Game Mode is what you want because it turns off a lot of bells and whistles that help reduce input lag.

I played Doom 2016 on an Xbox One X last generation and didn’t feel any input lag. I haven’t tried playing it on a Series X but given my recent experience with OMNO I wouldn’t rule out some technical issues. That said it does seem weird I would double check that your tv isn’t switching modes because of HDR or something like that. I had an issue with my LG OLED where it had switched me to default settings instead of my game calibrated presets at one point when going back and forth between HDR and SDR.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Giant_Gamer

if you're playing on a gaming laptop then I bet it's optimized to reduced input lag on its screen.

Might I suggest trying Doom from your laptop and connecting it to your the same TV you use on XSX?

This will help you pin point the source of the issue and whether it's your TV or XSX.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OurSin_360

do you play other shooters on there? Maybe you are just used to the 1ms input lag of a mouse on a monitor and the 16+ms(some tv's are over 30ms actually) of a controller feels bad to you? Have you tried it with a gamepad on your laptop? Could also try and mess with the analog speeds etc as that could feel like lag, but it would seem weird for a game like doom to have worse input lag than other shooters on a console.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Nick

i double checked that all post-processing settings were turned off, no hdr, etc. i have played plenty of shooters on the Series X, i played through all of The Outer Worlds and it felt great, really responsive, the input lag was negligible. DOOM 2016 must just not be optimized for the Series X? i'm curious how it played on the One X though, because it seems to be universally praised for it's ability to run well.

edit: i'm going to install DOOM Eternal this weekend and give it a try and compare it to DOOM 2016. if it feels better then maybe it's just that DOOM 2016 isn't optimized for Series X.

Harryden1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good console is exactly the same, I often play it and have never had any complaints, so also toys are cheap by subscription