Year Beast Brawl?

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

Anybody played this mode yet? I just finished my first one. Boy, what a terrible mode. There's some serious pay-to-win stuff going on there. I'm disappointed in Valve for this one. Me and a friend got matched up against a 5 man who all had point pools over double ours. Their year beast wrecked their way through 2+ towers every time it spawned. Ours died nearly immediately every time.

I'm curious to see what other duders' experiences with the Brawl are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well that sounds awful.

The servers have been up and down, and there's that weird countdown so I haven't been able to play Year Beast yet.

Only recently got back in to regular Dota and my main gripe is people who pick hard support and then don't ward AT ALL.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nophilip said:

Anybody played this mode yet? I just finished my first one. Boy, what a terrible mode. There's some serious pay-to-win stuff going on there. I'm disappointed in Valve for this one. Me and a friend got matched up against a 5 man who all had point pools over double ours. Their year beast wrecked their way through 2+ towers every time it spawned. Ours died nearly immediately every time.

So what is pay-to-win about it? http://blog.dota2.com/2015/02/the-year-beast-brawl-event/ From their blog I don't see anything you can buy to help the creature like you seem to be suggesting. They likely all had lost previous brawls and had bonus ability points as a result, something that you will have as well now.

Win a Brawl, and you’ll earn item sets and other New Bloom prizes. Lose, and you’ll receive a handful of Ability Points to use in the next Brawl.

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nophilip said:

So what is pay-to-win about it? http://blog.dota2.com/2015/02/the-year-beast-brawl-event/ From their blog I don't see anything you can buy to help the creature like you seem to be suggesting. They likely all had lost previous brawls and had bonus ability points as a result, something that you will have as well now.

Win a Brawl, and you’ll earn item sets and other New Bloom prizes. Lose, and you’ll receive a handful of Ability Points to use in the next Brawl.

You can buy ability points.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@subjugation: Yeah, you can straight-up purchase as many ability points as you want.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nophilip: @madpierrot: Well that's straight up garbage. That ruins the whole thing. I'm disappointed that they would do that.

pubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By pubbles

It's less pay-to-win now, more drafting. I've definitely beaten people who have a maxed level 3 beast, but shitty draft.

It used to be super pay to win, with the ability to spend points for an Aegis on the year beast, but that got removed after day one.

For drafting you want strong pushing heroes, strong early/mid game heros because games are ~20 minutes average - as well as strong supports.

Lifesteal is important, Omniknight's repel is also really good. Warlock's chains, slow and ult are great, as well as dazzle.

I have mixed feelings about the mode.