So, uh....that dragon age huh

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

[Insert way to ask if Ben's gonna continue the series without being, like, weird and disrespectful about it]

No but seriously I get it if he doesn't want to continue it, its easily one of my favorite games but it is a hell of a time commitment. Still hopes it comes back though.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hear Kingdom Hearts is pretty good.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@north6 said:

I hear Kingdom Hearts is pretty good.

*sigh*
*sigh*

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@north6: As someone who genuinely thinks there are good things in KH, I love these bits.

To the OP though, seriously; if you are so insecure about the media you like that you cannot withstand someone being critical of it or not as enthused I don't understand why you watch people play games. You do you, but...as I said above I literally adore certain things about KH but genuinely when you like something you can separate yourself enough to see why someone would may not like something. Even if that's something about it you like.

Speaking with my own experience on Dragon Age Origins, I had a old roommate who adored that game and through his word of mouth I gave it a shot multiple times. But despite trying different classes I never got more than 20 hours into it, and that was with a Mage. The fighter class or warrior was basically unplayable I found. Combat was duller than even WoW or other layered MMO's which I was never a big fan of it to begin with. For whatever reason I loved the combat in KOTOR which structurally has a lot of similarities to what they do in future games, and even DA: O; but for whatever reason the combat in general in DA: O just dulled me to tears. It's reliance on traditional fantasy tropes also came to me at a time when I was already so over that type of stuff, that it didn't wind up doing much interesting for me from a narrative perspective to keep me hooked.

That said I've always understood there has to be a reason people think fondly of this game and were so high on it at the time. I have to think it's one of those things that the deeper you get in and unravel the larger plot of the game and actually get familiar enough with your party members beyond a glance much like most Bioware games it starts to settle into a charm. I always liked the concept of different starting zones/questlines for different races and classes too, which I remember this doing some of.

RoyalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By RoyalGhost

@devise22: op never said anything like that..? It seems like they just didn't want to be framed as just another person whining for more content. They said it was one of their favourite games because they want to see him play it more lol

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Xdeser2

@devise22 said:

To the OP though, seriously; if you are so insecure about the media you like that you cannot withstand someone being critical of it or not as enthused I don't understand why you watch people play games. You do you, but...as I said above I literally adore certain things about KH but genuinely when you like something you can separate yourself enough to see why someone would may not like something. Even if that's something about it you like.

Wait, do you mean me? I dont really care if he dislikes it or anything, thats fine, I was just wondering if it was going to come back lol. Like I said though, I totally get it if he doesn't continue with it for whatever reason.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@xdeser2: Oh duder my bad. I misread your in brackets OP. I thought you were implying you wanted to see it return without him being rude or disrespectful towards it. You were implying how do you go about asking to see it return in a way that isn't disrespectful or rude.

You have my apologies. It's easy to default to assuming a post in this nature is defaulting to being critical of the staffs perceptions on something so I totally responded in a position of bias there.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xdeser2
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@devise22: No to derail this discussion, but I know what you mean for DA: O's combat. I really, REALLY got into the story and certain characters at the time, but the combat looked like an SCA group got ahold of some high-end special effects and overlaid them on a day in the life.

Ironically I found the combat (and characters) far more compelling in 2, but that's another story.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadpool: in 2 they got rid of all the tactical/positioning depth by making it so enemies just spawned at random around you the entire game. hated it.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Missed the last few streams: was Ben not feeling it?

I am part of the camp that thinks DA:O might have the best gameplay of any CRPG (yes, including D:OS) because the tactics system was just so good. But if you aren't a fan of system-y stuff it is just a really kludgy real-time with pause game laid on top of the most generic ass ASOIAF-meets-tolkein-but-doesn't-acknowledge-the-witcher (aka "Dark Fantasy") story ever without much redemption beyond a few generic bioware NPCs we had already seen a dozen times when it was new.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@toughshed: It's definitely not perfect, but it felt more impactful. More like people were actually engaged in battle and less like they were rubbing each other's weapons on each other. Flowed better too, DA: O always felt like they really, REALLY wanted it to be Baldur's Gate, but it never got to that epic level. Which worked for the tone, but it made combat feel like it should have picked a lane.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just give us more Garfield.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadpool: I loved DA:O, and even at the time felt like it seemed like the characters were basically larping, it was really odd. It looks even more goofy now.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I keep fixating on if I play this game nowadays is the blood on all the characters if you do anything more than stub your toe on a rock. Like damn I can't believe there was a time this was not clowned on more.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Especially after small fights where you would then enter in conversation with someone absolutely BATHED in blood.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He seriously stopped playing this too? I was actually looking forward to this being a thing.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously they can choose to play whatever they want to, and I certainly don't want someone playing through a long game out of some kind of obligation, but I'm pretty disappointed this keeps happening. Kingdom Hearts, the Trails in the Sky series, and Dragon Age Origins are all some of my favorite games that I was super happy to see finally played on this site. So far each of those series have had one or a couple of episodes and then never again. It's just disappointing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Humanity

It took me like 10-15 hours to “get into” Origins and even then I recognized that it was at times a love/hate relationship. Honestly I don’t know how it even happened because I’m not into this style of hardcore D&D combat and Baldur Gate was always way too much for me. This is why I loved Fallout because it still used dice rolls and such but relegated the systems to the background and surfaced raw numbers upfront. But I did really enjoy the combat in DA:O after I finally broke through those early hours and I played a full armor melee character too. Mixing the different abilities and spells was great and the only thing I really missed in Inquisition as you couldn’t really combo spells and abilities the same way. In 2020 it can definitely be a rough game to get into if you have no fondness for the genre, but maybe he’s not done with it? Bens output has been kind of minimal during this home office transition period because of technical issues he has as far as I know. They never post any updates on the forums and the site has no section for these updates either so I guess you gotta comb through his Twitter or something to see if he said anything about it.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm grateful for Ben loading up DA: O because it made me play through DA:I against after realising I remembered nothing that happened. 60 hours later I have had a better time than I did on my first time through.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a lot of buckets.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devise22 said:

@xdeser2: Oh duder my bad. I misread your in brackets OP. I thought you were implying you wanted to see it return without him being rude or disrespectful towards it. You were implying how do you go about asking to see it return in a way that isn't disrespectful or rude.

You have my apologies. It's easy to default to assuming a post in this nature is defaulting to being critical of the staffs perceptions on something so I totally responded in a position of bias there.

Lol, I read it the same way you did initially. I'm not watching this series, but it seemed plausible he was just clowning on it and trolling the game's fans.