Drawn to Death character responds to Giantbomb comments...

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why all the hate on Jaffe? It wasn't even him. It was Jonny Savage!

I don't know, I kind of dig the visual style of the game, and while a 4-player combat arena game doesn't sound… especially appealing, there might be some neat stuff in there. But yeah, this video is super weird and I don't really understand what the intent was.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man, this place can be precious.

tildebees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this game looks so junk I'm interested in playing it

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

(snip) Yeah, go fuck yourself is probably pretty close to how I would feel about it.

Yes, but would you create a video calling those naysayers out by (user)name, literallytell them to go fuck themselves, and then post that video to YouTube?

No not really, but if it is okay for people to trash talk him it should be okay for him to trash talk back. I am not saying he should have, or that it couldn't have been done better, only that his motivations and response are perhaps understandable.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Ha, I think that's pretty funny. As a community that has gotten behind GFB, I think Jaffe knows his audience.

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I'd of preferred it if this video showed me why I should be interested in this game, but oh well. At least the video seemed light hearted rather than an angry tirade.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

When I read the comments, I thought that the video was going to be voiced, and each comment would get its own overly-defensive scathing remark. Instead, it's just a compilation of lazy internet snark, and it's capped off with a pretty appropriately disinterested hashtag.

Seems like Jaffe and the team found some low-effort comments and had a touch of fun with them. Not a big deal on either side.

You calling Giantbomb a bunch of lazy internet snark?! We are esteemed commenters, known the world over. Our snark is fit for a crown!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Wait, now we're talking about the game even more D: He's using us against ourselves.

I'm sure you're reading this Mr. Jaffe: If you actually want some constructive critique, then the biggest issue with the art style is that it seems hard to distinguish between foreground and background - which ends up being more of a gameplay issue than anything else. Check out how Ballpoint Universe does a similar style.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Jaffe is great. He can do whatever he wants and I'll give it a go. I'd take Drawn to Death over another walking simulator like Tacoma or whatever the hell its called.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did not see that coming.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

I'm not so sure how I feel about gb-users gettin called out like this. Though honestly some of users should reflect on comments like "How is Jaffe still allowed to make videogames?". As if you need permission from a random schmuck on the internet to create a videogame. Jaffe should not call them to go fuck themselves, do the right thing Jaffe. Give them free codes to your game just to spite them.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

Oh God, he was watching us... He might even be watching us RIGHT NOW!!

AHHH HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!

Is he in my hair? Is Jaffe in my hair? EW GET HIM OUT, GET HIM OUT!

Also, gross, he used the white version of GB, armature hour Jaffe.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@whitegreyblack said:

@karkarov said:

(snip) Yeah, go fuck yourself is probably pretty close to how I would feel about it.

Yes, but would you create a video calling those naysayers out by (user)name, literallytell them to go fuck themselves, and then post that video to YouTube?

No not really, but if it is okay for people to trash talk him it should be okay for him to trash talk back. I am not saying he should have, or that it couldn't have been done better, only that his motivations and response are perhaps understandable.

I agree that he had a good opportunity to toss some trash-talk back at the detractors, but the whole thing seemed to be pretty "grabbing the low-hanging fruit" in terms of being generally unfunny and tone-deaf. I definitely would have taken a little time to work out a better retort.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typical. A game that looks like it was drawn by a boy was made by a immature grown man who might as well be a boy :) Grow up Jaffe not everyone's gonna love your game.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Don't get too worked up about it, you guys.

David Jaffe is awesome.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did they ever say what 15 year old f2p Korean MMO they licensed and re-textured to make this game?

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. I don't know. I totally can understand where he's coming from. If someone was snidely insulting a project I was working on for years I would respond with a "Go fuck yourself" as well. Now I'm not saying you should publicly do that in the way he did, but I don't really blame him for calling people out that said things he saw as insults. Childish? Yea. But hey, aren't we all?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Man, people need to lighten up. I don't even find this particularly funny but people are getting seriously sour.

"Ooh, he called me out? He lost my sale, that's soo immature."

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#72  Edited By liquiddragon

honestly surprised by the response from the staff and the general gaming community. I think the game has potential and find the look of the game quite striking. The concept is neat and what other game looks like this? I was a bit taken back that it's only 4 players but that tells me the game has a very particular pacing to it. It looks like a game ass game for gamers and seems to be focused on fun. Maybe I don't follow David Jaffe enough but I like the guy and always find him just fucking refreshing. This talk of him trying to hard to be edgy and what not...I don't really get it. This game lines up with most of his previous games. This is who he is and what he likes. The video is puzzling to me but seems like just another way to promote and get ppl talking.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@g3ese said:

Jaffe called out shitty comments by shitty people. I fail to see the issue. If you can dish it out you should be able to take it.

Shitty people? Maybe one or two of those comments were more personal than they needed to be (kind of like yours), but if we can't judge a game trailer, what are we even doing here?

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Haha I think it's awesome that they went to the trouble. The game still looks like it plays like shit but I would love to be surprised.

mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jaffe is teenager trapped in grownup body.Can't say i blame him for that.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I instantly recognized the song in the first part of this video as one of the Jak X OST songs, "Fragfest" to be specific. Really weird to pull that song out of nowhere for this video.

As for Drawn to Death, I haven't seen that much of it but it looks interesting at the very least. David Jaffe is cool in my book.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Ya'll Posting In A Troll Thread.

Like I said somewhere else. Game seems like it's super early on, Jaffe hasn't made a bad game yet in my book (Calling All Cars is a damn masterpiece and nobody else played it).

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86:
No more mature then all the comments people left about a game that has not been released yet or been played.

Just goes to show how dickish this community can be.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Junkboy

I love Jaffe, as everyone who knows of him should know he curses a tad from time time. This is clearly done in jest and not this overly serious way you guys are making it out to be.

People need to relax more, everyone is always wound up and ready to pounce.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

You tell 'em, Jonny/Jaffe-y!

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Man, people need to lighten up. I don't even find this particularly funny but people are getting seriously sour.

"Ooh, he called me out? He lost my sale, that's soo immature."

Yeah pretty much. I don't like Jaffe but this isn't the reason I wasn't gonna buy his game and I have no idea why some people seem offended.

Who cares, Jaffe is gonna Jaffe. I'm just glad he's not around often and I can easily avoid him.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Honestly, the commenters here are more defensive than Jaffe.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

Ya'll Posting In A Troll Thread.

Like I said somewhere else. Game seems like it's super early on, Jaffe hasn't made a bad game yet in my book (Calling All Cars is a damn masterpiece and nobody else played it).

Calling All Cars is an interesting game to bring up in relation to this. I played it and I thought it was pretty fun, but as you say, it didn't really seem to find an audience and it was a game that lived or died by actually having people to play with. Drawn To Death seems like it is in the same boat; it all depends on the size of the playerbase and how long they stick around.

Anyway, I hope it turns out alright. I don't really think it's for me, but I like Jaffe and I've liked all his games that I've played. I do wonder if the reception for this game would have been different if it hadn't been the announcement chosen to end the Sony keynote.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Friend of the site or not, this is childish. The proper reaction to (some) legitimate criticism is not "shut up, my game's cool! #GoFuckYourself #WhyAreTheirCritics #FineDontNeedYourBusinessAnyway"

If this is supposed to be some kind of in-joke as he's friendly with these sites, then fine. But it seems unnecessary. Some people didn't like your game, Jaffe. You're one of about a million developers suffering this same, horrible fate. You could... put your game out, let it speak for itself? No? Overblown, fuck-the-rules comeback it is, then? Cool.

fartGOD666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is everything in the trailer so fucking lame? Who made a boxy-ass city block level in the game about crazy adolescent creativity? Why does it pop up "Your wife left you" when you die? Who thought any of this was good, or funny, or cool? The skybox being a massive tiled block of unreadable text? How have they gotten this far without bothering to look at what kids actually draw, or study how paper or ink or pencils look or feel? What the fuck is going on?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I approve.

elvicerator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I read the title, I thought the video was going to be something clever rather than just a short animation of the character on his phone combined with a #GoFuckYourself. The idea could've been funny, but the execution was pretty lame.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol at all the butthurt on both sides.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Lets take this full circle

Jaffe's Reaction to GB forum's Reaction to Jaffe's Reaction Video to GB's comments on the Trailer Reaction!

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By DonPixel

I'm not ruling out this game yet, but mhee whatever

games should always do the talking

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Well Roger Klotz is kinda an asshole David Jaffe. That's his whole fuckin shtick with Doug Funny.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@slag: Chill! Like David Jaffe! The chillest dude around.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Heh ... I kinda like this. I don't think any of the comments really were over the line nor do I think his "reply" was over the line. It would probably be smart for him to clear up some of the points people bring up at some point, but I imagine they are pretty early in development still and that information will follow at some point.

Jaffe can't be too surprised that people are not exactly thrilled about a 4 player deathmatch shooter in 2014/15 not matter how unique the artstyle is. There must be something more to this he just didn't tell us yet. In the end I hope he and his team have fun making this game because that seems like a huge step towards a good game. Wait and see I guess.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By darkvare
@zolroyce said:

@bbalpert said:

Oh God, he was watching us... He might even be watching us RIGHT NOW!!

AHHH HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!

Is he in my hair? Is Jaffe in my hair? EW GET HIM OUT, GET HIM OUT!

Also, gross, he used the white version of GB, armature hour Jaffe.

wait a second what if one of you is jaffe and you are acting paranoid to try and hide it hu? hu?

Blunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel free to send me a copy of Drawn to Death when released, Dave. Let's do lunch.

#advertisingsynergy

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valeo: So the dark horse Jaffe is the catalyst in changing the GiantBomb community for the better? Not in my wildest fanfics would I have come up with this...

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To his credit, I had no idea this game existed till I saw this.

I have no more interest in it than I did before though.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

@slag said:

Lets take this full circle

Jaffe's Reaction to GB forum's Reaction to Jaffe's Reaction Video to GB's comments on the Trailer Reaction!

...man.

This is so Internet. LOL I SAID SOMETHING INCENDIARY AND PEOPLE REACTED LOL I"M JUST TROLLIN Y U SO MAD LOL

Would have been more interesting to see Jaffe respond to the bombcast comments about the game. Nothing said in these comments sections is anywhere near as damning as the GB crew's reaction to the game.