A Farewell to Drew Scanlon Thread

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Good luck Drew in everything your future holds, you have been so entertaining and informative on Giant Bomb and will be sorely missed.

Stara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nocam: 'I... am going to kill you.'

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What the what!?

That's on the same level as if Jeff himself were leaving. Granted, he's not one of the Core Four, but Drew is as integral to Giant Bomb's identity as anybody.

Godspeed, man. I look forward to your newfound meme fame landing you a role as Raiden in the eventual Metal Gear Solid movie.

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mannnnnnnn...Gonna miss ya Drew. It's to be expected though. Much like Kish, you can't be that good at your job and gain so many new skills and not have to push yourself to do something new eventually. Excited to see whatever he's up to next. Thanks for all the wonderful entertainment!

If anyone is new to Premium and hasn't watched the special slideshow video from Drew's trip to North Korea, do so. I still put it on once or twice a year and it's always a delight.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#106 fisk0  Moderator

I hope he'll go on to do something crazy involving tricasters and airplanes. Really sad to see him go since he, Dave and Vinny seemed to be the only ones whose taste in games matched my own.

Drew's behind a lot of my favorite content on the side.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of luck to Drew. Has always seemed like an incredibly kind and insightful person. I am sure he will find success in wherever he goes next.

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey Drew, hopefully you're reading all these great comments on wishing you well on your next endeavour!

Personally, you were (ARE until the 3rd dammit!) my favorite of the GB personalities. You found a really great niche in the group as someone into gaming, but as something you do between your other hobbies. The games you would bring to the table on UPFs or QLs were always these really bizarre gems that were a ton of fun watching you attempt to figure out through taking notes and play.

Between your interests in fitness, a/v tech, flying, camping, and everything else, you really showed a great picture how to balance gaming with everything else to create what sounds like a really fulfilling and interesting life. I'm sure everyone at GB is going to miss all that you do in front of, and especially behind the camera. I wish you all the best, and plan on continuing to follow what you're up to if your next chapter is a public one.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

WAIT. WHAT?!

What the fuck is going on? Not Drew. No. No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

But...but...but they just got all those fancy new cameras... We need Drew to play with all the fancy new cameras...

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Fuck man, not another one.

Best of luck out there, Drew! I hope the world of memes and planes is good to you! It's been a pleasure to have you here, and more of a joy every year as you've been more and more in front of the cameras. Your playthrough of the Metal Gear Solid series with Dan wasn't just fun to watch, it also made me discover a whole series of games that I had missed.

Not this series, though.
Not this series, though.

RangerTaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck Drew for your future adventures. It's been great to see you be part of amazing GB features and I always enjoyed the diverse topics you brought up. Thanks and will look forward to whatever you do next.

Pockles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Pockles

First post on my account is a sad post.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do Drew! Super bummed to see you go.

MisterCrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By MisterCrow

Best of luck to you Drew! You will definitely be missed. Hope to hear you on sometime in the future as a guest =).

EDIT: Gonna have to wear my GB Flight Club shirt in honor of Drew.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Memes went to his head :D

This is a real bummer. What does the future of Giant Bomb look like? There's less and less people and it seems to take several months (years?) to hire new crew. Hopefully there are qualified and cool people out there but I'm wondering why Jeff just hasn't found anyone suitable.... there's none left?

Good luck with everything, Drew (and GB)!

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Bummed, excited, etc, like everyone else. But I'm also glad I can report elusively that Drew's next gig is transforming into a being of pure light and energy and ascending into the clouds. We all knew it would happen; the flying lessons were just a ruse.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Fly safe Mr. Scanlon.

Arg... my heart....

Darkecho117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sucks, who's going to drop all those amazing stealth puns now? Good luck with whatever comes next Drew!

malestrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Zeik

Gotta capitalize on that meme fame while he can I suppose.

Good luck Drew, you will be sorely missed around here. I hope you'll at least find time to come back for Extra Life like Alexis (and hopefully Mary.) Those have always been a highlight of your time here.

CabooseMSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want Drew to be happy... but I want to be happy too >.< Best of luck Mr. Scanlon, hope to see you around the web still!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#121  Edited By Ben_H  Online

Thanks so much for everything Drew! I've been a huge fan since the basement days in Sausalito way back when the OG Endurance Run (Remember episode 50?!?) was going on and people were trying to drink cans of Coke quickly. I'll support whatever it is you do next 100%!!!

Make sure to make good use of that Street Fighter Snuggie!

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Man, this hurts a ton. Hopefully everything is okay over on the West Coast. Between Drew leaving, Dan switching coasts, and a slew of technical issues lately it's just felt...off. I'm sure they'll straighten the ship's path soon though.

Any who, best of luck, Drew!

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn Drew. Good luck and thanks for all the stuff here at GB.

heghmohqib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB is about the closest thing to TV I watch anymore. When people leave (by choice or otherwise), it is basically like having and integral character written off your favorite show. While I wish you the best, I still hope you pull an Andy Richter and have to come back.

Kairu_de_Large

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess becoming a meme is the fueler of dream? @drewbert

I will really miss Drew being a part of Giant Bomb. We both like history(specifically WW2/Band of Bros) and Counterstrike, and I felt I could relate to him the most out of the crew. As much as sudden change sucks, Drew is alive, and gets to choose how to live. I wish him the best, and look forward to seeing what he does next. I have a small certification in Video Production, and I can see what an enormous talent Drew is in his field. We are talking prodigy levels. He will do great things.

What a thrill, it's been. Cheers, duder.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By splodge

Aw man :( i wuv dru

revolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a hell of a gut punch, wow.

Good luck with your future, Solid Scanlon, and fly safe!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

NOOOOOOO

Fare thee well Drew, you are one of the greats.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm fuckin sad.

vizard1301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck in your next step Drew! You always were my favourite duder.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#132 FinalDasa  Moderator
Loading Video...

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ragnar_mike said:

If anyone is new to Premium and hasn't watched the special slideshow video from Drew's trip to North Korea, do so. I still put it on once or twice a year and it's always a delight.

That and Drew playing Lego Island on UPF were literally the first two things I watched when I went premium...damn, I'm gonna miss him so much.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I've been having a pretty meh couple days, you know nothing actually serious but just not a great week by any means. This has definitively put this week (and probably the rest of the month) into the bad week column. It wasn't long ago I was reading the Mary Kish thread and saw someone mention how all these video producers were leaving and their hope that Drew wasn't soon around the corner. I really didn't think it would actually end up being this soon around the corner.

That being said I do wish the best for Drew in the future, Drew always had a way of inspiring me, always had these under the radar jokes that would make me chuckle, and just so many moments during my short 2 1/2 years here that I will not forget for a long time to come. I also owe Drew thanks for getting me into F1, I had never really considered watching it, and thought I would find it boring. Through Alt F1 I gave it a chance and it's now a huge part of my life, I went from never watching to watching every practice session, qualy, race and the pre and post shows that sky puts on, over 10+ hours most race weekends.

Anyway I really just wanted to show my appreciation for Drew and thank him for everything and wish him the best in the future!

p.s. Demo Derby/Game Tapes is going to feel really weird to me without Drew there

JQuill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Certainly sad to see him go, but I guess the small silver lining is since his last day is the Switch launch, we should have a nice, long stream to see him off with.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Well this makes me very sad, but good luck to Drew and his future endeavors!

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#138  Edited By TheWildCard

Yeah :(

But good luck Drew!

Also, hope new folks are added real soon, the west crew is getting dangerously thin.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The meme money finally rolled in.

SunSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of luck to Drew. Wow though, it's really a bummer to see him go.

btsjigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of luck with whatever is next Drew! GB won't be the same without you, please come visit often!

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#142  Edited By gbrading

I mean, as soon as he became a meme it was only natural that someone would poach him. Hollywood probably.

In all seriousness though, Drew has very much been part of the glue that has held Giant Bomb together for years. His wry wit, his personable enthusiasm for almost everything. Before Metal Gear Scanlon, I'd never understood Metal Gear at all, and alongside Drew I learnt the series lore. Other highlights include Mario Party (obviously), The Giant Bomb Flight Club, Extra Life, the hundreds of quick looks and Drew's North Korea debrief. He will be sorely missed from Giant Bomb, and I wish him all the best of success for the future.

P.S. I nearly forgot Lego Island on UPF...

CamGearz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, damn daaammmn.

While I've been watching GB content for awhile, Metal Gear Scanlon was the sole reason I became a premium member, he's also why I can listen to countless hours of F1 talk yet I hardly watch the sport at all. And Flight Club, man. Flight Club!

All in all, good luck in your future endeavors Drew. I'm sure it'll be awesome and I can safely say we all look forward to it, even if your charm and handsome, meme worthy good looks aren't here any more.

"What a thrill..."

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we could get a "Best of Drew: Stealth Jokes" mashup before he leaves, I'll buy 20 years worth of subscriptions...

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This legit ruined my day.

Good luck to Drew, he is an awesome dude.

GB haven't even replaced Austin yet and now loses yet another important part of the staff. Sigh.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reasons to renew membership now - zero.

Drew can literally do anything now that he is leaving. It's exciting to see where he ends up. I'm kinda hoping it's not video game related, to be honest.

jonano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By jonano

Aww man I'm gonna miss Drew . I had the feeling he was going to leave someday but not this soon .

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By dafdiego777

This is the darkest timeline...