Now that the three main press conferences are over, which console do you want?

• 154 results
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Now that the three main press conferences are over, which console do you want? (945 votes)

Playstation 4 84%
Xbox One 9%
Wii U 7%

I believe that E3 is all about games and told myself before E3 that I am going to get the console that has the most of them. That's why I'm picking Xbox One. I know it has that really shitty 24 hour check in service, but the used game thing doesn't really affect me. And when I really think about it, one little check in every 24 hours is a small price to pay for the games.

• Sunset Overdrive
  • Killer Instinct
  • Quantum Break
  • Ryse
  • FFXV
  • Titanfall
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Destiny
  • whatever the hell D4 is - it's Swery, how can I not be excited?
  • MGS V
  • Project Spark
  • Forza 5
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Assassin's Creed 4
  • Halo
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Whatever Black Tusk is doing
  • I MIGHT give Kingdom Hearts 3 a try
  • Watch Dogs
  • Plus other multiplats and games I forgot from the MS conference

I feel like the only games I will be missing out on are Infamous and The Order. The only games I actually straight up didn't like from the MS conference was Battlefield. The above list is a pretty impressive lineup and I'm all about the games so this is how I am justifying my decision to stick with Xbox, at least until I can afford to get a PS4 as well for it's exclusives that will come later.

• 
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PS4 because the Xbox One seems to be going for the coveted sadomasochist crowd and I don't fit that demographic. I want them both to be great but every step their taking and every word out of Mattrick's smug mouth pushes me further away. They don't seem to understand why this huge groundswell of anger suddenly exists and thus have no plans to address it.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I already have a Wii U so I voted PS4. Nintendo's shit looked really good though.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

PS4 for me. I already preordered DA:Inquisition, The Division and Second son as well.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By Bigrhyno

I guess Wii U. None of them really sold me on their system, but at least Wii U didn't show me a million shooters. I am so sick of guns. Right now I am pretty content with my PC/3DS combo so I may hold off on next generation for a while.

dolsande

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All of them :( I'm such a consumer whore...

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigrhyno said:

I guess Wii U. None of them really sold me on their system, but at least Wii U didn't show me a million shooters. I am so sick of guns. Right now I am pretty content with my PC/3DS combo so I may hold off on next generation for a while.

Really? The PS4 didn't seem like a solid value to you? I thought it made such a solid, all around case for being a next generation game box. All types of games, AAA shooters, RPGs, open world, online, offline and a host of indie games. Free game library with PS+, entertainment apps, bluray, etc. All for 399 to take it home? You must be hard to please, man. That's a fabulous package for the money. Even purely from a hardware standpoint. You're getting a crazy amount of value for your money.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Bigrhyno

@bigrhyno said:

Really? The PS4 didn't seem like a solid value to you? I thought it made such a solid, all around case for being a next generation game box. All types of games, AAA shooters, RPGs, open world, online, offline and a host of indie games. Free game library with PS+, entertainment apps, bluray, etc. All for 399 to take it home? You must be hard to please, man. That's a fabulous package for the money. Even purely from a hardware standpoint. You're getting a crazy amount of value for your money.

AAA shooters - Not interested in any of them. FPS used to be my favorite genre, but I have a huge case of shooter fatigue and I can't stand any games with guns in them these days.

RPGs - The Witcher 3 is going to be solid, but I can play that on my PC. I am really interested in Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, but knowing Square, those won't be released anytime soon.

Indie games - Probably my favorite part of the PS4 conference. They showed off a strong interest in Indie developers and unveiled a bunch of cool games. The problem is that most of the games they showed are also available on the PC.

I had a PS4 on pre order, but I cancelled once I found out that Infamous isn't going to be a launch title. Since it is a 2014 title, there are no titles coming out in the launch window that make me say I need to get one ASAP. I'll wait until that system seller game finally comes out.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By leebmx

@leebmx: @xyzygy: Jack Tretton has confirmed that 30 games are in development exclusively for PS4 and 20 of those will be releasing within the first year AND 12 of them are new IP. So they kind of have MS beat on the exclusive games front. I guess they haven't announced them because they want the spotlight on those first 5 games (Driveclub, Knack, etc.). Not trying to sway your position, just letting it be known since no one is really talking about this.

Back on topic, I'm choosing PS4. Quantum Break sounds like it'll turn out great, I'm interested in Black Tusk's game, Titanfall looks god damn awesome, if Dead Rising 3 is nothing like DR2 then I'd be sold & Ryse might be pretty good but I could end up not liking those games at all so it isn't worth the money. Plus the Xbone is not something I want to support so maybe if I become friends with someone with an Xbone, I'll play those games.

I absolutely LOVELOVELOVE the inFAMOUS franchise so that pretty much alone sold me on a PS4. Plus the Killzone multiplayer is the only FPS multiplayer I like, Mark Cerny+platformer=Knack=sold, I get (most of) Driveclub for free at launch, and The Order: 1886 is steampunk. STEAMPUNK! It is also being developed by Ready At Dawn and I bet they'll deliver a fantastic product. On top of that, there's still 25 more exclusive games we don't know about so it just makes me super excited to see what developers like Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sony Santa Monica, etc. are working on. I'm also have a ton of PS3 games and own a Vita so I'm sold into their ecosystem. It only makes sense.

ALSO! PS4 <3 Indies. <---Enough said. I love me my indies.

OCTODAD: DADLIEST CATCH

That's great - but you have based your arguments on a whole lot (of maybe rather biased) assumptions. Basically you say the Microsoft games look good but who knows you probably may not like them, but you know you will love a whole load of unannounced, who knows what games from Sony. (how many of these new IPs, or exclusive games could be small indie platformers which while being good games are not exactly system sellers?) As you say you have been a commited Sony gamer over this generation and this is obviously colouring your view a little.

This isn't a criticism, you should play the games which you enjoy the best. I was just pointing out that Microsoft has a whole lot more money than Sony and seems to be really ploughing this cash into games a lot of gamers want to play. When they came out with their original statement about how many exclusives and new IP they had everyone was saying half of them will be Kinect, but no, they are all big proper releases some of them looking very interesting.

No matter what people say about drm, or connecting to the internet or whatever, games sell consoles and if Microsoft manage to tie up a load of games people really want to play they will be in a very strong position. My worry for this next gen is that we could be in a Dreamcast, PS2 situation where one console is better designed, more innovative and more powerful but doesn't have the financial muscle to compete. We will see, at the moment I am definitely slanted towards PS4 because of the price, but I really want to play some of those MS games.

Lowfyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS 4 & Wii U

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

PS4, maybe Wii U next year if there's a price drop.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

That's great - but you have based your arguments on a whole lot (of maybe rather biased) assumptions. Basically you say the Microsoft games look good but who knows you probably may not like them, but you know you will love a whole load of unannounced, who knows what games from Sony. (how many of these new IPs, or exclusive games could be small indie platformers which while being good games are not exactly system sellers?) As you say you have been a commited Sony gamer over this generation and this is obviously colouring your view a little.

This isn't a criticism, you should play the games which you enjoy the best. I was just pointing out that Microsoft has a whole lot more money than Sony and seems to be really ploughing this cash into games a lot of gamers want to play. When they came out with their original statement about how many exclusives and new IP they had everyone was saying half of them will be Kinect, but no, they are all big proper releases some of them looking very interesting.

No matter what people say about drm, or connecting to the internet or whatever, games sell consoles and if Microsoft manage to tie up a load of games people really want to play they will be in a very strong position. My worry for this next gen is that we could be in a Dreamcast, PS2 situation where one console is better designed, more innovative and more powerful but doesn't have the financial muscle to compete. We will see, at the moment I am definitely slanted towards PS4 because of the price, but I really want to play some of those MS games.

Maybe biased to you but not really to me. I never played Alan Wake or Max Payne 1/2 so I don't know if I'll like Quantum Break. On top of that, Quantum Break has television shows integrated into the game (Somehow) which affects it which doesn't interest me one bit (Defiance sucks). The only reason I'm even interested in Quantum is because people say Remedy is a great developer. Black Tusk is a new studio and I'm only interested because it's a new IP. I HATED Dead Rising 2 so if DR3 is anything like that, I'll hate it also but who knows. Not much has been said. Titanfall looks awesome but I think Modern Warfare 2 was absolute garbage so who knows if I'll like it. Ryse looks like a cool game but I'm not really into Crytek's games (Crysis) so who knows? But I was always interested in it, even when it was a Kinect title. Also the fact that I've played Halo and Gears of War and got bored of them quickly tells me I won't enjoy any new iterations. Plus, I'm not a racing game fan unless it's an arcade racer like Burnout & NFS. So I wouldn't like Forza or Gran Turismo. Depending on how Driveclub plays, I may or may not like it.

I know I'll love Sony's games because I have played their studios games. Mark Cerny worked on all the PS1 & PS2 platformers so why would someone NOT be interested in Knack? I loved all of Sucker Punch's titles (Sly Cooper, Infamous) and I'm a HUGE Infamous fan so I know I'll love the new one. I really enjoyed the Killzone multiplayer so that'll be my go to FPS. I digged the God of War PSP games so I have faith in Ready At Dawn for their new game The Order: 1886. It's also made up of Naughty Dog & Blizzard guys so I expect a solid title. So I've had experience with these devs games, that's why I'm sure I'll enjoy them. I'm not sure about the MS exclusives because I haven't played their previous titles, they're a new studio or I hated their past games.

I wouldn't really have a problem with the DRM and internet thing Xbone has but just the stance that they're taking is what makes me not want their console. If they took the approach Sony is taking, I would be more then willing to buy their console after a price drop. I know MS has more money then Sony but that doesn't exactly mean the games will be great. It just means they have more money to throw around. When Jack touted that Sony has 30 exclusives, he said they're being worked on by their worldwide studios so it's a guarantee it's not a bunch of small indie titles. I wouldn't have mentioned it if they didn't say that. So yeah they have more money but Sony has announced that they have double the exclusives MS has.

But I see what you're saying. The Xbone will sell on brand loyalty and CoD/BF alone and that's enough to rake in money for MS. Sony will also sell on brand loyalty. BUT(!!!) they also have the people who are pissed about their anti-consumer ways, which includes a lot of people who were previously Xbox owners. They pretty much have an iron grip on the entire internet and have converted tons of previous Xbox owners. I think this gen will be pretty much even from the start which is a great thing, but also a bad thing for the industry since it'll show that people will buy anything and not care about what MS does. So as excited as I am about the future of video games, I'm also very worried.

ALSO! The self publishing for indies means tons of more indies/free 2 plays on PS4 then Xbone and that is fantastic.

ALSO ALSO! Microsoft pretty much left the 360 a barren wasteland these last 2-3 years while Sony still puts out 5-6 exclusives a year. Sony is pretty much like Nintendo, just with 3rd party support. Which makes me wonder, why would I buy an Xbone if MS might just leave it to 3rd parties to make games for it in a couple years? It's like the opposite of Nintendo. Holy crap, I just figured the world out. EVERYTHING IS CLEAR

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted the PS4 before the conference Now I'm probably not going to buy any of them, at least not anytime soon. I already get so many benefits from being a dedicated PC gamer, why would I need to own another gaming system if it's trying to charge me to play online? Ridiculous.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#113  Edited By csl316

PS4 at launch, Xbox in the next year or two. I intend to have ths Playstation as my primary system and get the Xbox for its exclusives (namely Crimson Dragon, Quantum Break, and Halo). Role reversal from last gen. Hopefully they got a Vita bundle in the works since I got a bunch of games from PS+ just waiting to be played.

Maybe I'll even get a Wii U some day.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: You should always go with the games you like, and I am totally in agreement with you that Sony is trying to be a lot more consumer friendly and open to the concerns of the gaming public. The main point I was trying to make is that you are making a hell of a lot of assumptions about the games and the futures of these consoles which an unkind person could call fanboyism. I think it is very unfair to say that you are pretty sure you won't like any Microsoft games but these '30exclusive PS4 games - none of which are indy games' are something to get excited about. Incidentally can you show me where this was said, its not that I don't believe you but I watched the conference and I must have missed it?

To be honest we are pretty close in how we think about the upcoming consoles. I think MS is going for the whole living room, TV, integrated caboodle while Sony seems to be straight targeting gamers and no-one else, and as a gamer, especially one outside the US for who all this TV stuff probably wont work - Sony suits my needs more.

The way things stand I am going to go for a PS4 because of price, openess of system and the aforementioned attitude Sony seems to be coming with at the moment. However I think, as is normal for the internet that the forumheads have decided who the good guys and bad guys are the this is meaning that people are losing focus a little on the actual facts of which console is showing the most promise in gaming terms at the moment.

I think a lot of this comes from the fact that despite the misstep with the PS3 Sony has always managed to hang on to its reputation as somewhat of a cool company in gaming terms. Right the way back from the PS1 era they have cultivated this aura of being a gaming machine for adults rather than children, and I feel they have always been the company that most people wish would be on top. There is something of a aura about a Playstation which only the Dreamcast has come close to touching, and only really in a kind of nostalgic feeling of failed glory. So while Sony's messaging and ambitions for the PS4 have been excellently judged (especially when placed against Microsoft managing to sound both corporate and uncertain - a deadly combination) I think there is a large section of the gaming community who wanted to see the slipping crown of the PS3 era, righted once again on Sony's brow.

The problem with this, and maybe why I took slightly unfair issue with your comments as you do seem to have a genuine love for Sony's products and games, is that the message of MS = bad, Sony = good is starting to obscure some the realities of the games they are showing. MS showed a lot of interesting stuff and while Sony's wasn't bad at all, exclusive wise it was nothing but promises(which I must have missed) and sequels - was there a new IP exclusive to Sony which they didn't show at the original reveal - I can't remember.

I really hope there is enough money and enthusiasm for these two consoles to exist idependantly of each other. I think it would be very bad for gaming if either were to fail. However they are maybe both staking out enough different ground to be able to co-exist. In any case I haven't been this excited about gaming in a long time so I hope there are lots of other people like me ready to talk, play and spend money on some of the great new stuff coming.

Lastly (and I know I have gone on a bit) one thing I keep telling myself is that all the games we are seeing now for the PS4, Xbone are comparable to early releases for the last generation, so imagine what things are going to be like once people get to grips with the new machines. If you imagine these games we are seeing are of Oblivion quality what are the next gen Skyrims going to be like? Exciting times!

axlvandamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 at launch, Wii-U later next year, One.....not sure.

BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By BrockSampson

@xyzygy said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@xyzygy said:

@oginor said:

I already pre-ordered my Xbox One. (Got the achievement to prove it...which is silly, but still a little fun) Gotta support my 'local' businesses.

You get an achievement for pre-ordering an Xbox One? What?

IGN: E3 2013: Xbox One Premium "Day One" Edition Revealed

Its sold out.

I'm starting to think that gamers on forums are minorities in comparison to the whole gaming community, because Amazon reported earlier today that the One was breaking pre-order records for them. Really glad to hear this.

I think you are absolutely right. People on forums are always the most vocal minority. And almost always end up on being wrong.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SpaceRunaway

The Xone has a couple games that I'd really like to play, but it'll be PS4 first.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'd like to get a PS4 and a WiiU eventually. The only game that hurts not playing is Titanfall, but who knows? Maybe it will become multiplat in the future.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Comment I read on Kotatsu. Its up to YOU to find it!

".. seriously though. Ive called 7 gamestops. and 7 gamestops are currently full on xbone pre orders. 3 were still accepting pre orders for ps4s.

This will go the way of COD. pages and pages of internet hate followed by record breaking sales numbers."

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I've got my "Launch edition" PS4 preordered on Amazon, and I already have a Wii U, though I haven't used it since a bit in March, and more solidly in December. I'm excited for Super Luigi here in a few weeks, that should get the me to dust off the ol' Wii U, and I've been considering playing through ZombiU, maybe this summer. Anyway, yeah I'm real excited for the PS4, there are a few X1 games that I'd like to have, but not enough to sell me on the console itself.

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#121  Edited By helios1337

WIIU once a few more games come out. PS4/XBOX have no exclusives that I want and anything multiplatform I will just play on PC.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#122  Edited By nintendork666

I wanted a Wii U and a PS4 before the conferences, and I still want a Wii U and a PS4 after the conferences.

The Sony/Nintendo combo has yet to fail me.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By awesomeusername

@leebmx: The more then 30 exclusives was said on the PS Blog here. Second paragraph, 3rd sentence. I guess you can call it "fanboyism" but I'm not at the level where I'll flame other companies or downright say they make terrible games; unless I'm just joking around with friends who like *insert company here*. What I said is dumb but it just comes down to developers proving themselves to me. All of Sony's developers beside Evolution Studios (Devs of Motorstorm, Driveclub) have proven to me that whatever they make, I'll eat it up. A LOT of people feel the exact opposite of me. A ton of people, on here for example, don't enjoy most PS3 titles. Just look at any PS3/Vita games forum, they're pretty much dead. Very few people here are usually excited about a new inFamous, Sly, or Ratchet & Clank but when it came to something like Halo 4 or Gears 3, people were excited. I'm not going to say those games are bad because they aren't, a lot of people love them and they get great reviews all around. But not everyone enjoys those, including me. I know they're great games and I would never tell anyone they're bad because they aren't. Instead, I'd say "Hey, Halo is a great game & if you like the look of it, go for it. I myself don't enjoy it but millions of other people do so it's a great game." But back to my point, I'm positive those Xbone titles will be great but I just can't justify buying one when I've never tried a game from Remedy and I don't find Halo appealing. If I had a friend with a 360, I would totally try out Alan Wake, Fable or whatever other first party title MS has that isn't Halo, Gears, or Forza. I mean, I've ALWAYS wanted to try Alan Wake but buying a 360 for two or three games when I'm pretty much a poor college student doesn't make sense. I want to also state that I want to play Banjo: Nuts & Bolts but that's not going to happen since MS owns Rare, which apparenty is making another Kinect game for Xbone, which is really sad. They're making Kinect Sports Rivals.

As a person that watches all his television shows on Hulu & Netflix because I never remember that they're on, the Xbone features are pretty much useless to me. The only Xbone feature that I like is the voice commands and the things the PS4 already does. Why would I need a DVR when I have Hulu & Netflix? I'm not into sports so why would I care about fantasy football leagues or NFL partnerships? I live in New York so all that stuff would work for me but I just don't care for it. At the moment, no one can deny the fact that MS killed it with games but that isn't going to overshadow the fact that they're being very anti-consumer. People think that America has great internet but that's not true. A lot of American states have shit internet. My friend who lives in Florida has shoddy internet. It literally could be super fast one day and shut down the next. Unless you're in a city, your internet probably sucks ass so MS going the way they're going is a pretty bad thing. On top of that, it's pretty much an American based console so I wouldn't understand why anyone in not America would want one unless they really like the exclusives.

I understand my comments sound pretty dumb but I'm sure if what I said was said in a face to face manner, I'd sound less "fanboyish" but this is the internet so it's hard to distinguish an excited fan with a fanboy. It's impossible to deny that MS showed up with a ton of good looking exclusives and that Sony showed up with the same from their reveal but there's always a catch. MS pretty much showed off all their cards and Sony just gave a tease. The only PS4 exclusives that are sequels are Infamous & Killzone. Driveclub, Knack & The Order: 1886 are new IP's. The Order: 1886 is a new IP that was revealed at E3 so that wasn't at the PS4 reveal. I think Sony didn't show their entire lineup because they want people to focus on these 5 exclusive games. Announcing more IP's would've taken the spotlight off these launch games and it's better to have these 5 games be the ones hyped up in the news instead of being overshadowed by a new Santa Monica or Naughty Dog project that won't be out for quite some time. So it's very smart of Sony to show off a couple games only and have people talking about those instead of having some of those titles get buried over others. I believe Sony will show 1 or 2 more in the next couple months or probably right after the PS4 release.

I wouldn't want Microsoft or Sony to fail either. Competition is always healthy. What I do think is MS needs to either soften up on their restrictions or fumble like Sony did during their first few years of the PS3 so they can show up next-next-gen with the mindset Sony has now. I too am excited to talk about the PS4 when I get myself one (Hopefully at launch!) because I LOVE games and only 2 friends that play games isn't enough peopleto share my excitement with. I think that the new PS4 games coming out right now look miles better then how they looked on PS3. The new Killzone is obviously a step up from Killzone 3 which was already a gorgeous game. Infamous: Second Son is another obvious step up, it looks 50x better then Infamous 2 and I'm not saying I2 looked bad, it looked great. But what we're seeing now is considerably better then the PS3 and I can't wait to see how games shape up to be when all devs have a better handle of the consoles. We sure are in for a treat.

Before I end this post, I want to say that if I was super rich, I'd buy an Xbone day one no matter how ridiculous MS stance is, but only because the games and my stinky richness. But as I'm pretty poor, I'll vote with my wallet. I'm not literally poor by the way, my (mums) apartment is pretty nice. When cops, friends, etc. come to my house, they compliment the hell out of the apartment or ask if I'm rich. Don't ask why cops come over. Also, I'd like to point that my love for indies is pretty big and those 9 indies shown at E3 plus all the indies announced for PS4 on the PS Blog/Polygon and all the free 2 play titles coming out to PS4, it's obviously a no-brainer over Xbone to me. I can finally try out Warframe, Blacklight Retribution, Planetside 2, Don't Starve, Octodad, etc. which is YES! ALL MY YES!

But yeah. VIDEO GAMES MAN!

Edit: Jack says "Our Worldwide Studios team has more than 30 PS4 exclusive titles in development" which sounds kind of weird now that I think about it. The word "team" confuses the whole thing for me. It could mean all their 1st & 2nd party devs are working on exclusives or it could mean that plus they have contracts with 3rd parties for some exclusives which I hope isn't the case. I'd like those to be all titles made from 1st & 2nd party devs so take that how you will.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

@awesomeusername said:

@leebmx: @xyzygy: Jack Tretton has confirmed that 30 games are in development exclusively for PS4 and 20 of those will be releasing within the first year AND 12 of them are new IP. So they kind of have MS beat on the exclusive games front. I guess they haven't announced them because they want the spotlight on those first 5 games (Driveclub, Knack, etc.). Not trying to sway your position, just letting it be known since no one is really talking about this.

Back on topic, I'm choosing PS4. Quantum Break sounds like it'll turn out great, I'm interested in Black Tusk's game, Titanfall looks god damn awesome, if Dead Rising 3 is nothing like DR2 then I'd be sold & Ryse might be pretty good but I could end up not liking those games at all so it isn't worth the money. Plus the Xbone is not something I want to support so maybe if I become friends with someone with an Xbone, I'll play those games.

I absolutely LOVELOVELOVE the inFAMOUS franchise so that pretty much alone sold me on a PS4. Plus the Killzone multiplayer is the only FPS multiplayer I like, Mark Cerny+platformer=Knack=sold, I get (most of) Driveclub for free at launch, and The Order: 1886 is steampunk. STEAMPUNK! It is also being developed by Ready At Dawn and I bet they'll deliver a fantastic product. On top of that, there's still 25 more exclusive games we don't know about so it just makes me super excited to see what developers like Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sony Santa Monica, etc. are working on. I'm also have a ton of PS3 games and own a Vita so I'm sold into their ecosystem. It only makes sense.

Speaking of big assumptions, don't assume MS is in ANY of a better financial position than Sony....the company has more money, yes...but that does not mean they plan on throwing it all into their games division. I bet if you took a good hard look at the xbox division of MS and the Playstation division of Sony, the budgets would be largely similar....probably larger for Sony actually, considering they have the VITA to pay for. Sure, Sony as a corporation isn't doing so hot, but the Playstation division (Sony Computer Entertainment) Is doing very very well, and is one of Sony's most profitable branches. Microsoft's most profitable branch is their software production like the Office programs (which is not doing so hot btw). Sega was not a hardware maker, with like ZERO third party support. Sony's roots are in hardware, and they're still getting the big fat AAA third party games like Battlefield, FIFA, Madden, 2 NBA games, they have MLB: The Show, CoD, blah blah blah, so I don't see how MS is capable of tying "up a load of games people really want to play" and Sony is not. MS does not have the muscle, or the money, to make that many games exclusive....no company does. This is why you see MS announcing DLC first on xbox one garbage, because that's what they can get away with, not complete exclusivity...which personally, I'd rather have the companies spend money on more valuable things than that. Sony will have exclusives....MS will have exclusives...this is how it goes EVERY SINGLE GENERATION SINCE THE BEGINNING OF GENERATIONS. Both consoles will have good games, assuming otherwise is LUUUUUUUNACY. I'm obviously saying this all jokey-like, but for realsies:

Simply put, Sony is in a better position than Microsoft (and no, I am not a biased fan if anyone will accuse me of that, I'm just looking at what makes sense to me from a business perspective). Sony owns every region other than the United States. They launched the ps3 a year after the 360, at an outrageously high price, and still caught up by the end of the generation. This time, they'll launch as the more powerful console with an EASY DEVELOPMENT PIPELINE (<---Huge Bonus), a lower price-point, less restrictions, and, as I said, a large portion of the market solidly in their corner. The only region Sony needs to fight it out in, is 'Murica, and they seem to be doing quite well so far. The big advantage to the 360 was the fact that it had a year head start and a lower price....that way everyone got it early, so when other people started buying a console, they got the 360 because a friend had it, and that snowballed. Microsoft will have a grand total of ZERO of those advantages this time around. What they will have, is some brand loyalty from people who loved their 360's, but I must say, I don't see the xbox one dominating in the US like it did this gen, which means SONY will get a lot of those developers who flocked to the 360. It isn't about the size of the company, or their checkbook, it's about the size of the install-base, and that fight is happening in a retail-chain near you this holiday season....pre-order your tickets now.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Holy cow guys, I haven't seen walls of text like that in a thread for a looooong time.

Speaking of which, as an update to my previous post, I just dropped $549 AUD on a PS4 pre-order today, and am happy about it.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By SargeGulp

I'm considering that 99$ dollar Wii.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

PS4, I already have a WiiU. Xbox's policies are a dealbreaker for me, unfortunately.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I didn't really see any exclusive games that blew my mind, so I'll just stick to my PC until they arrive.

Probably PS4 or WiiU...sometimes

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Otacon

I'm not as down on the Xbox One as many seem to be, it looks really cool and Titanfall and Sunset Overdrive look fantastic. But my gut is to go with the PS4, it's just like the console was made precisely for my interests, with a focus on games, playing and talking about games with others, and it being an open platform. I'll pick up all three eventually, but I can't deny that the PS4 has me most excited.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is a little surprising considering I played almost all my console games on 360 this gen and didn't get much use out of my PS3, but I'm most likely going to pick up a PS4 sometime around launch and skip the XBone for the foreseeable future.

I'll get an XBone eventually, just because I don't like missing out on neat exclusives from any console (and I love Halo!) but really nothing of what Microsoft is saying about their system has me very excited. Whereas PS4 is sounding incredibly promising.

And it's not even about used games. I've never bought a used game so I couldn't care less about that, it's more about the general...message for lack of a better term. Sony just seems to be interested in harboring a varied lineup of games. Not just AAA big titles, but also indies and more midlevel games. There's already been a number of smaller devs talking about how much more inviting the PS4 is. And I guess self publishing is going to be a big deal on PS4, the lack of which being a huge problem this gen and why so many devs stuck with Steam only for their smaller titles.

So yeah, all in all, PS4 definitely has my interest piqued. Pre-orders are sold out at the moment on Amazon so I'm not sure if I'll be able to snag one right at launch, but I'll definitely be trying to get one this year.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spartyon said:

@leebmx said:

@awesomeusername said:

Speaking of big assumptions, don't assume MS is in ANY of a better financial position than Sony....the company has more money, yes...but that does not mean they plan on throwing it all into their games division. I bet if you took a good hard look at the xbox division of MS and the Playstation division of Sony, the budgets would be largely similar....probably larger for Sony actually, considering they have the VITA to pay for. Sure, Sony as a corporation isn't doing so hot, but the Playstation division (Sony Computer Entertainment) Is doing very very well, and is one of Sony's most profitable branches. Microsoft's most profitable branch is their software production like the Office programs (which is not doing so hot btw). Sega was not a hardware maker, with like ZERO third party support. Sony's roots are in hardware, and they're still getting the big fat AAA third party games like Battlefield, FIFA, Madden, 2 NBA games, they have MLB: The Show, CoD, blah blah blah, so I don't see how MS is capable of tying "up a load of games people really want to play" and Sony is not. MS does not have the muscle, or the money, to make that many games exclusive....no company does. This is why you see MS announcing DLC first on xbox one garbage, because that's what they can get away with, not complete exclusivity...which personally, I'd rather have the companies spend money on more valuable things than that. Sony will have exclusives....MS will have exclusives...this is how it goes EVERY SINGLE GENERATION SINCE THE BEGINNING OF GENERATIONS. Both consoles will have good games, assuming otherwise is LUUUUUUUNACY. I'm obviously saying this all jokey-like, but for realsies:

Simply put, Sony is in a better position than Microsoft (and no, I am not a biased fan if anyone will accuse me of that, I'm just looking at what makes sense to me from a business perspective). Sony owns every region other than the United States. They launched the ps3 a year after the 360, at an outrageously high price, and still caught up by the end of the generation. This time, they'll launch as the more powerful console with an EASY DEVELOPMENT PIPELINE (<---Huge Bonus), a lower price-point, less restrictions, and, as I said, a large portion of the market solidly in their corner. The only region Sony needs to fight it out in, is 'Murica, and they seem to be doing quite well so far. The big advantage to the 360 was the fact that it had a year head start and a lower price....that way everyone got it early, so when other people started buying a console, they got the 360 because a friend had it, and that snowballed. Microsoft will have a grand total of ZERO of those advantages this time around. What they will have, is some brand loyalty from people who loved their 360's, but I must say, I don't see the xbox one dominating in the US like it did this gen, which means SONY will get a lot of those developers who flocked to the 360. It isn't about the size of the company, or their checkbook, it's about the size of the install-base, and that fight is happening in a retail-chain near you this holiday season....pre-order your tickets now.

From what I understand, and I am no Michael Pachter, Microsoft are in a way better position financially than Sony who have filed big losses for the last 3 years in a row and have just released a handheld which is tanking quite badly (although it might pick up if the PS4 is successful)

That said I agree with most of the rest of your post. Both sides will have exclusives as has been the way for generations, although I do think that Microsoft's game reveals have been the most interesting to the mass market consumer, and I don't know how much all this indie focus is going to sell outside of the type of people like us who are really passionate enough to comment on forums etc. If you remove all the fuss about DRM and what ever else and just compare the games, I think Microsoft's have the most commercial potential - but not enough for it to be even close to a knock-out blow.

The whole thing just baffles me a bit, because I can't understand how a company with as much money, brains and expertise as Microsoft could get the whole thing as wrong as everyone seems to be making out. However it looks as if they have, they are releasing a machine which is chasing after a 20 year old, outdated dream of 'controlling the living room,' through one box, added to an applicance, the Kinect, which while interesting technologically adds no real positives to the experience apart from redundant novelty. And for these innovations their product is £100 more expensive. Added to which they seem detirmined to either anger or confuse the consumer through restrictive practices and removal of valued rights. I suppose part of my trying to argue against the consensus of Sony's apparent outright victory is that I can't process how so many bad decisions can be made - I keep thinking there has to be something I am missing - surely?

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx: I completely agree. I think we're all missing the same thing, which is that people liked the xbox 360, and people will buy the one because of that. A lot of us who frequent gaming sites and watch press conferences about video games, know what we want and a machine that is powerful graphically and less restricted definitely fits that description for most. What we don't acknowledge often enough though, is that the kinect sold, and sold well actually. Families grew to embrace the xbox 360 as did the average mainstream gamer who solely plays games such as Halo, CoD, and Madden. I love all of those games sure, but my interests also expand to the niche. The fact is, the average consumer won't know the PS4 is more powerful, and possibly won't even care. There are quite a big of people out there that will look at the 360 as a package that includes a better console than the one they currently love, with a better peripheral than the one they enjoy INCLUDED...that'll be attractive to a decently large demographic. The internet may love to overstate this whole thing and say MICROSOFT IS DOOMED, but come on, that isn't the case. The Xbox One will sell, and it will sell well. Don't get me wrong, MS did indeed make mistakes in the last few weeks, but those mistakes only really apply to us. The demographic I just described probably won't know about any of it, or care to the extent we do. MS is clearly going for the mainstream market, while Sony is going for gamers first.

Now just to put my two-cents in about that decision...it could go either way. MS could lock up the mainstream in massive numbers, gaining a huge portion of the market share early, thus becoming the lead platform for development again. Then again, Sony could realize that the vast majority of early adopters of game consoles are, shockingly, gamers. They could potentially lock up the launch, and have the same snowball success that MS enjoyed last gen. Really, it could all still go either way in the grand scheme of things, and it'll be pretty interesting to see what happens.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By CABBAGES

Already have a wii U and will get the xbox one and ps4 but if i had to choose one it would be ps4.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

PS4 for sure, but my options are pretty limited. Though even if the other manufacturers deemed me worthy of playing their console, I'd probably still be picking this one up.

Microsoft decided I am not allowed to play an XB1 in my country, so that's not an option. Even if I were crazy enough to be considering one.

Wii U...I still see not a single game interesting on this platform to date.

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#135  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

Xbox One and PS4. Both systems have games I want to play. And I just built a new gaming PC, so I'm all set!

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used games makes me want to totally avoid the Xbox One next generation as someone who picked up an Xbox 360 about halfway through the cycle. I do resell a bunch of games after shopping around online and at retail, usually online options are best. That they'd lock all that up in the hands of a few key big retailers is disgusting. Aside from that, I play my games offline a lot of the time to avoid annoying distractions and am kind of over the big online fad. Uncharted 2 was the last time I got really into an online shooter and that's more-or-less all the Xbox One has in terms of exclusives. I was interested in Killer Instinct, but then the developer and F2P model turned me off, plus the game just looks uninteresting. Dead Rising 3 also perked my interest as I liked Dead Rising 2, but not all that much and Capcom came out saying they wanted the "Call of Duty audience," so fuck that. And fuck Microsoft.

Though I probably will pick up a Wii U for Smash Bros. 4 whenever that comes out. Too much of a sucker for Nintendo first-party games and it'll be far cheaper than the other two by that point. MGSV is similarly the killer app that'll make me get a PS4 whenever that comes out. My wallet's going to be devastated next year.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By super2j

ps4 + 3ds

HotToddy74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By HotToddy74

I'm ps4 all the way. I already have a wiiu and xbox is pretty much dead to me now. I'm not as fickle as some people. Me giving up my rights as a consumer for a few exclusives is not gonna happen.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Wii U and I pre-ordered an Xbox One and a PS4. I am all-in.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super2j said:

ps4 + 3ds

Throw in the Vita and Wii U for me and I'm all set in terms of consoles.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By super2j

@msavo said:

@super2j said:

ps4 + 3ds

what did you see that sold you on a vita? Was it tear away?

One big reason I want a 3ds is for smash bros.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this thread has legendarily long and dense posts

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super2j said:

@msavo said:

@super2j said:

ps4 + 3ds

what did you see that sold you on a vita? Was it tear away?

One big reason I want a 3ds is for smash bros.

I already got a Vita but yeah Tearaway, Killzone Mercenary and just the continued stream of indie games like on the Sony consoles has made me happy to own a Vita. PS4 had a solid showing and Nintendo, while I would have liked a few more surprises, I thought was solid as well.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna be that guy.....PC.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I was going to buy one at launch, PS4...but I have a PC. I'll wait.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I'm going to upgrade my computer soon because I have to, and will buy a PS4 day one. Will probably buy an X1 and Wii U in 3-5 years, same way I did this last gen.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will buy a Wii U when the new Xeno game comes out.

For general purpose console to play console exclusives? PS4.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By RonGalaxy

These consoles will be around for many years. If your going to judge them based on the first 20 games they get, you have problems. I'm putting my money on the console that has more/better first party devs who are all hard at work on next gen games

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4... but god, my most hyped game out of all of the ones announced is Sunset Overdrive. If that's an Xbone exclusive, I'm going to cry for an entire month.