GB E3 Coverage Appreciation Thread

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By csl316

Long name, simple message: Giant Bomb's E3 coverage was superb this year and I want to give them props.

I planned a vacation in June, so I decided to match it up with E3. First time in a couple years where I got to watch their streams live, and they have this format locked down. I'm 30 and don't have time to follow every single stage demo or interview, so GB has been a very efficient way for me to consume this thing.

- Press conference commentary, I see the the presentation while listening to analysis at the same time. A two-for-one idea!

- Guests, you have people coming in to share impressions, stories, and then get to interview devs and executives within the span of one segment. These night shows have everything you need.

- The Youtube streaming has been a godsend. I don't use Twitch much, but I had my PS4 streaming all this at home. In the span of the night shows, I painted my living room, worked out a bunch, cleaned my house, and did my daily Spelunky challenges. Streaming on my phone or laptop was simpler and I'm glad they embraced it this year.

- Giant Thrones, I feel like I finally understand what's going on there.

What I'm trying to say is that their coverage has become intelligently-designed in recent years. Phil called the crew professional, and they can deny it, but the whole presentation of the content has become extremely smooth. The only downside? I feel like some of those breaks between segments are too damn long. One night, I watched a full episode of Raw during the break periods, in fact. Sure there are reasons for it, but one of the nights went from 7 to 2 over here and I wish they could cut it down just a bit.

Anyway, good work crew. Jeff really killed it, an iron man on camera. The rest of the team, on camera, behind the scenes, posting stuff, modding, it all seemed to go off without a hitch. It wasn't a game-changing E3, but the coverage here is just as interesting to me as the actual news is. Looking forward to the next one, might need to take that week off, too!

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MocBucket62

Giant Bomb absolutely knocked it out of the park this year with E3 coverage. The talking over press conference segments were all entertaining and each crew member provided some great analysis of the announcements from each event. Plus having a chalkboard on the back to draw about things that have happened at E3 was a splendid idea. I also don't have time to look at every recap of specific demoes, so the staff impressions were a good way to hear specific members talk about their experiences walking on the show floor. It was also neat to hear their opinions on the specific demos they played and what they got from those experiences as always.

Alex also nailed it with the booking of guests this year and made for a good collection of professional and engaging segments (Phil Spencer) and also some hilarious train wrecks (Lang-JV-Boyes, Griffin putting amiibos in his mouth).

Jeff was also an interviewing genius throughout each segment, providing great questions to all his guests and knew when to be comedic at the right time. Drew and Jason worked their butts off with the streams as well. While Austin is moving on from Giant Bomb, at least he went out with a bang at E3 providing some great moments throughout their coverage. Moments like drawing WEED3 on the board during the Battlefield 1 celebrity stream and arguing with Vinny over whether Rowlet is wearing a bowtie or a bikini top will go down as some of my favorite moments on GB. Austin you've been great for Giant Bomb and we wish you the best in the future!

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, they really have had an almost perfect format ever since they started commenting over the press conferences.

So there really isn't much to say, great work as always guys. You made E3 10 times better. This year also felt particularly emotional in some ways, which was also pretty great. GB is a family in a lot of ways, and it's going pretty good.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

They really killed it this year. Fantastic After Hours showing. That last night presented a real roller coaster cadence for me poor emotions.

GB@E3 is always the gold standard of Giant Bomb (and all video game coverage really). Kinda also the highlight of my year.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

The whole crew killed it this year. I honestly think this was their best year of E3 coverage ever. Jeff was killing it as host. I'm not sure how he was able to keep the whole thing together, but he did it. It was amazing watching him carefully balance a serious professional interview with fun, dumb questions. Also special thanks to Drew and Jason. They were manning the cameras the whole time and they did a great job. Special thanks to Jason for taping the mic to JV's face!

I'm so glad I got to watch this stuff live. This E3 turned kind of a crappy week upside down. Thanks GB crew!

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Absolutely! This is without doubt the best stuff GB do. And they have so many feathers to their bow, ensuring that there is variety and quality. Awesome stuff. It's this kind of content which means that I'm more than happy to pay the membership (I don't subscribe to ANYTHING else).

Also, big props to Jeff. He can be really proud of what he's built with this website. Of course, they've all contributed into making it what it is, but his guidance and integrity is really something to admire!

I'm just sad E3 is over now! And then to hear Austin is leaving as well! Devastating!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

GB E3, more like GB Engineers <3

Seriously, thank you to the GB staff in front and behind the camera. Thank you to the guests for being good sports, both those on screen and those who just came to hang out. This year has been fantastic. And thank you to the Mods, Engineers and VIPs keeping a lockdown on chat.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Knowing the engineers were present in chat to hear and respond to any hiccups (Edgework directly responded to most concerns but I know the engineers were all working their butts off) was top-notch and strangely comforting. Thank you.

Knowing the mods were in the chat in full force to keep things civil was a godsend, and really saved the place becoming total anarchy on more than a few occasions. I often avoid chat during E3 (and I still did, from time to time) but boy oh boy do the mods deserve huge credit for what they do.

The GB crew including both on-screen and off-screen duties were in absolute top form.

GB at E3 2016 was a great experience and something I made sure to having persistently present on my second monitor from Sunday to Thursday while I slipped farther and farther behind schedule on my work (finally getting things back to normal this weekend, I hope)! Sad that the whole thing ended on such a bittersweet announcement (I'll miss Austin but DAMN what an opportunity), but it serves to burn it into my memory all the more.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff consistently shows at these E3s why he's probably the best in what he does.

euantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff consistently shows at these E3s why he's probably the best in what he does.

My thoughts exactly. The Giant Bomb E3 coverage is the only coverage I really care about, and the interviews are easily one of my favourite parts. Jeff and the crew seem to always manage to bring out the bets in their guests and get some really great insights from others in the industry.

omegacorith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By omegacorith

Amen, the team did an amazing job. You guys run my favorite show that comes out of E3.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just finished watching the day 3 show, and wow, what a rollercoaster of fucking emotions it's been. From weed3- and food-shenanigans to raising Johnny Vs spirit to Austin leaving, I don't know how to feel now. But it was great, so thanks to everyone on and off camera, the moderators, the guests. It's been a while since I enjoyed e3 that much, and it has almost nothing to do with the show itself.

DevOverkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even know where to start here so I guess the biggest THANK YOU I can muster for you gals and guys behind the curtains. Every year you do an amazing job of keeping this rolling and I am incredibly appreciative of that and its a big one of the many reasons why I give this site my money every year. You people are awesome and deserve every bit of thanks and appreciate this community can muster. Keep up the stellar work!

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

So, wait. Who was the "Extremely out of their league" guest that Vinny mentioned in the Beastcast?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It was really heartening to see Jeff be so proud of it at the end of day 3, the "I love doing it, I love doing it." Seeing this thing just grow over the years, he really should be proud of how far it's come.

People talk about him jaded or whatever, and I disagree with a lot of his opinions, but I'm very glad he's heading up my go-to game site. And last week was just full of reasons why.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciated the optional youtube stream because my internet is spotty enough that sometimes I can't even watch a GB livestream in SD. Luckily I didn't have to switch over for most of the E3 livestreams this year so I was able to join the fun with chat.

Avatar image for ehyehasherehyeh
ehyehasherehyeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amen to that! Hard to tell how much is talent and how much is experience, but the man can run a show or an interview like one bad mutha.

kingyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This was exceptional, this has probably been my favorite year they have ever done. Jeff seemed super on point, they had a good mix of informative serious discussion with funny (informative in a different way) stuff. Everyone seemed on the ball and I can only imagine the amount of work that was going on behind the scenes.
So thank you to everyone that made this happen!

@csl316 said:

It was really heartening to see Jeff be so proud of it at the end of day 3, the "I love doing it, I love doing it." Seeing this thing just grow over the years, he really should be proud of how far it's come.

People talk about him jaded or whatever, and I disagree with a lot of his opinions, but I'm very glad he's heading up my go-to game site. And last week was just full of reasons why.

Yeah that was so nice to see. Jeff mentioned that this is probably the purest distillation of what he hopes to do with GB and that gets me very excited for the future, can't wait to see how they keep improving!

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@mocbucket62: i bet griffin has put more than a few amigos in his mouth

daltimond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daltimond

I really enjoyed all of GB's WEED3 coverage. Thanks to everyone on the GB team for making it one of the best weeks of the year. Especially the engineers. I didnt run into a single problem for the entire week. You guys rock.

russelldallas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for putting in those crazy hours and doing it with style, GB Crew!

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

I also loved their coverage - it was awesome! The only thing I wanted them to do was put up a lower 3rds with the names of the guests and where they're from - a bunch I didn't know who they were.

@daiphyer said:

So, wait. Who was the "Extremely out of their league" guest that Vinny mentioned in the Beastcast?

Peter Stormare. He had to cancel last minute.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed! The GB coverage was as brilliant as ever, equal parts informative, insightful, and hilarious. Great work duders!

MeAuntieNora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By MeAuntieNora

Indeed, Giant Bomb puts so much effort into the many, many hours of insane, insightful, and hilarious coverage they come up with!

Thanks duders!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Special thanks to Edgework for both being hard at work on the site during E3 while also being an on-screen talent.

secretcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to everyone involved for keeping me informed and entertained! A brilliant GB E3!