Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#1  Edited By Marino  Staff
No Caption Provided

Congrats to @skullmillione for claiming victory here on this year's Nintendo banner.

Our runners-up were gottagoogle's abstract Japanese banner in 2nd and then ozone's Picross and sambatime's "fuck em" banners tied for 3rd. It was very close.

The Official NINTENDO Thread

They say it's only software. They say a lot of things.
They say it's only software. They say a lot of things.

This year's E3 is obviously a weird one. And we all know Nintendo has brought us some truly weird stuff at E3 in the past. From puppet shows to the Regginator and from 3DS-tethered ladies to "NEVER", Nintendo will always be Nintendo. This year, they are promising 40 minutes of information followed by Treehouse Live. Let's just hope that less than 35 of those minutes are updates to Smash Bros.

In an attempt to keep the E3 shenanigans organized, the mods institute these official discussion threads for each conference so that everybody has a go-to place to discuss them before, during, and after the show.

Despite the insanity of E3, keep in mind that the general site rules still apply. So, don't be a dick. If you need a refresher on to conduct yourself like an upstanding citizen of the Giant Bomb community, check out the FAQ.

Keep Discussions On Topic

This thread is exclusively for the general discussion of the Nintendo show. Discussion involving the other company's conferences should be taken to their respective threads (once they're posted).

Specific Announcements

Not-so-secretly one of the best parts of E3 in recent years.
Not-so-secretly one of the best parts of E3 in recent years.

To help you get where you need to go to talk about anything announced or shown during this press conference, we have created a list of them right here:

• ???

Where Can I Watch?

Tuesday, June 15 @ 9:00 AM PDT (Your Local Time)

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2 gtxforza  Online

They better show up new F-Zero, new Excite Truck, and Nintendo Switch Pro.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gtxforza  Online

Ok I just watched the Nintendo's direct live stream, it was pretty good for showing up something like Cruis'n Blast, Metroid Dread, Breath Of The Wild sequel, and many others but I'm quite disappointed that they didn't show up the Nintendo Switch Pro plus not to mention that F-Zero series is still hiatus.

Edit: Now I'm watching Nintendo's Tree House.

franzlska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Beyond a bit more BotW 2 gameplay or some Splatoon 3 details, I don't know what more people could have wanted from that presentation. The weirdness surrounding the Pro and re-streams muddled the water a bit, but that was nothing but solid announcements through-and-through.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I continue to be flabbergasted that they haven’t brought over the Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD ports from the Wii U. It seems like such a no-brainer.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@franzlska: I was hoping for some more major announcements, considering how deep we are into the Switch's lifespan. New 2D Metroid is definitely cool, and a new Warioware is great, but otherwise it was a lot of updates on games that already exist or port announcements and not a lot of big new kapow announcements.

That's not to say it was a bad presentation or anything; it was definitely solid, but just solid.

There was stuff that looked good and definitely some stuff I will end up playing and looking forward to, but nothing huge. That's fine; given what the last year has been like it's unsurprising, but that rumored new Donkey Kong game would have been cool, or a new Mario Odyssey or whatever.

That being said, there was definitely enough announced that it was not a disappointment.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banefirelord: I think that those will come over eventually. I think you do not announce them this close to Skyward Sword HD, because a lot of people might skip that game if there's new, better, Zelda coming later. You launch Skyward Sword HD in July, get a few months of sales, then announce the double pack of Wii U ports in a late Summer direct for a holiday release. Or even just release them early next year.

Nintendo is very good at not cannibalizing its own sales.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad there was some Metroid.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

New Metroid looks a lot like that 3DS Metroid 2 Remake and I find that pretty disappointing. That game ran poorly, looked bad, felt bad to play, and was altogether not something I was into. I also usually prefer something more hand drawn or pixely than 2.5D, so... bleh.

I also saw the trailer for SMT V. Do you like SMT games? Because that sure as hell looks like an SMT game! I'm excited for it.

I didn't have time to look at anything else on my lunch break.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think Nintendo has had non-Covid E3s that were significantly worse than that Nintendo-hamstrung-by-Covid presentation. It was a solid enough lineup. They have the spectre of BotW2, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, and Switch hardware update looming over them with little-to-nonexistent details, but a new 2D-style Metroid, Advance Wars GBA remake, and WarioWare announcements seem good enough for me.

Kinda hoping 2022 is a real avalanche of release dates for some of those other games though (at least BotW2 might come out in 2022).

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know much about older SMT games, but did the UI always look like that? I don't think Nocturne does, but I'm not sure about 4. Because that was all exactly Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which is otherwise VERY weird like, tonally.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By brian_

@epidehl: 4's UI was very basic. Probably because it's a 3DS game. They've definitely stylized it more for V. And yeah, very reminiscent of Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I'm into it.

Outside of SMT V, I don't have too much investment in Nintendo's output. I continue to wait for Bayonetta 3. Breathe of the Wild 2 looks alright. It looks like more of that game, and that's fine.

Jam13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't go in expecting much, so wasn't massively disappointed. What I am worried about is the Advance Wars remakes. I'm with Jeff that the art style is not great - too crisp, clean and polished. The original had a certain muddiness to it that gave the impression your wee soldiers and tanks were indeed fighting some cartoony war and suffering the consequences. These new versions lack that grit. It's turned me off a lot. If we're to assume these remakes are the testing ground for a possible new entry, I worry the art style will put a lot of people off and it won't hit the sales threshold to revitalise the franchise.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is up with Nintendo's insistence on murdering their characters in Smash trailers?

Has Mario Party been such a hit that we really need so much of it? I mean, I liked the ones they're remaking, but also I was like 10.

New Metroid seems neat, but it is kind of weird that Dread is coming out so soon and we still have nothing for that Prime game they announced so long ago...

New Wario Ware is cool. Mario Golf looks cool. Totally down for Princess Mononoke But Zelda.

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kyary

A new 2D Metroid is nice but it's too early to tell if it's any good. I thought Samus Returns was fine but I strongly prefer the Prime series

Advance Wars looks great! Really excited to give that a go when it comes out. I thought the art they showed was really appealing and I'm kind of surprised to see people ripping on it. Personally I'm kind of over the 3D tilt shift pixel art or ultra low poly thing and I'm really really glad they didn't go either of those routes.

I played the shit out of Monkey Ball 2 so it's cool to see something in that vein coming back

Don't care about Smash updates. You can tell it's a real fighting game because I get excited when it comes out and then the 3 friends that stick with it get way too good for me to ever want to play against them after the first 2 months.

I really liked BOTW but I don't feel like I need to follow every single update on this new one. Just gonna wait until it drops and play it blind.

Honestly most excited about WarioWare, those games are always great

Edit: I forgot to mention Mario Golf! It still looks fun!

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GabrielCantor

@brian_: Cool, I wasn't sure if TMS was based on 4 and I just wasn't aware. Never expected anything from that game to work it's way back into the main games. I'm definitely into the slightly more stylized look to the UI and even camera in the combat and stuff without going full Persona. I'll probably check it out, even if I'm still not a huge fan of the demon negotiation stuff.

Otherwise, Metroid looks cool. Also happy for people that like Advance Wars and WarioWare for getting some stuff for the first time in a while. I'll wait and see with BotW2, as I'm in the minority that didn't like 1 very much. If they give some more actual dungeons and remove weapon durability, I'll be WAY more into it.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I am pretty "meh" on Breath of the Wild but I guess for the fans: did that update do anything for you? Mostly just looked like "Ganon still has red tentacles" and "You still have a glider and a more open and empty version of far cry 2's world" with I guess the floor warp being the new thing?

But wondering if the folk who are excited for that caught something more. Or was it just nice to see it mentioned?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundato: There were obviously some people who got super hyped for it. Speaking as someone who is a huge fan of the first game and very excited for the second...the trailer didn't do much for me. It showed that there will be new powers, that it will apparently have Skyward Sword type drop ins from above and a few other things, but...it all kinds of depends how it's implemented and we don't really know anything about that yet. It didn't turn me off the game, and it was nice to know they're aiming for next year, but I didn't get super excited. It looks great but after the first one and another five year cycle one would expect it to.

Some people are just very excitable and love pouring over trailers and letting their imaginations run wild about how amazing some game will be. That's never been me as a person. I think hype is often counterproductive, and I know no game is going to change my life or anything, so I've always tended to be pretty calm about these things.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of these days they'll announce that Skies of Arcadia Switch port. One of these days.

Miccasx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario🤭

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ungodly

Tie one end of a rope around Zelda’s waste, then the other end around your wrist. It’s not that hard to do. Brother was just making rocket ships out of some rusty shields, and can’t keep Zelda from getting sucked back into the abyss?

Come on Nintendo, women love this franchise. Time to stop pretending women aren’t capable of more than crying, or mentally explaining the plot while trapped by evil. Can’t wait for them to explain how Link has more memories to collect, so that they can make some sweet new armors for Hyrule Warriors 2… don’t expect them to be part of the current season pass.

Sorry if this is really hostile, but man has Nintendo been shitty to their fan base.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ungodly: A rope? A ROPE? A greatsword in Hyrule lasts like...7 slashes, and buddy is over here talking about A ROPE like it wouldn't explode into shards after 2 yanks. A rope. Their hammers shatter after like 15 whacks! You are asking for a level of craftsmanship that clearly does not exist.

In all seriousness...we don't actually know Zelda's role in the game. We've seen like 2 seconds of gameplay. It will be disappointing if she's just a damsel in distress again, and that's possible, but it's also possible that you play as her for half the game or at least for certain sequences and they just aren't showing it yet (or are keeping it secret until launch.) I personally hope they do something interesting with her. It would be very cool if like halfway through the game you reach Zelda as Link and then Gannon attacks and Zelda gets away and Link gets captured, and you have to rescue Link as Zelda, only she has a totally different moveset. That would differentiate it from the first game for sure.

But if I were Nintendo and I were doing something like that I definitely wouldn't want to show it that early.

I guess what I'm saying is...let's wait until we actually know what they're doing before criticizing it.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And all of this is why Hyrule Warriors 1 is the best Zelda

Zelda and Sailor Zelda kick ass. And Linkle is a mentally deranged lunatic (who is basically the D3 witch hunter) who dual wields crossbows and throws explosives while leading an army of chickens

Have I mentioned how much it pisses me off that AOC runs like complete dogshit?

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sweetz

@banefirelord said:

I continue to be flabbergasted that they haven’t brought over the Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD ports from the Wii U. It seems like such a no-brainer.

Same, this is all I wanted, but Nintendo is very aggressive about protecting the "value" of their games and they probably don't want anything to get in the way of the Skyward Sword port. I'm still holding some futile shred of hope that we could get an announcement after Skyward Sword is released and has some breathing room.

Still, watching Aonuma say they didn't have anything else planned for the Zelda 35th anniversary other than a crappy Game and Watch was a real kick in the teeth.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gtxforza  Online

I wish if Super Smash Bros Ultimate had Edelgard as a playable DLC character.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza said:

We dont need another Fire Emblem character

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new 2D Metroid news hit me like a wet noodle. I was expecting Metroid Prime 4 and this certainly isn't that. Disappointing. I will play remakes of Advance Wars and Monkey Ball, though. And always down for another WarioWare game.

My wife keeps asking me about a new Animal Crossing and I tell her they make a new one about every 5-6 years. She shoots me daggers and storms off.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gtxforza  Online

@sombre said:
@gtxforza said:

We don't need another Fire Emblem character

Alright fair enough, well everyone has different tastes in gaming characters in general so I thought it was a great idea to have more Fire Emblem characters.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new 2D Metroid news hit me like a wet noodle. I was expecting Metroid Prime 4 and this certainly isn't that. Disappointing. I will play remakes of Advance Wars and Monkey Ball, though. And always down for another WarioWare game.

My wife keeps asking me about a new Animal Crossing and I tell her they make a new one about every 5-6 years. She shoots me daggers and storms off.

Development of Prime 4 was totally restarted around January 2019. It still seems like it's too soon for that be close to being ready. I would certainly be worried if that game were churned out in less than 3 years.