E3 2022 apparently canceled

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1 rorie  Staff

Well, not a huge surprise, I guess, but still - something of the end of an era?

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#4 FinalDasa  Moderator

Not sad to see it go, but also not excited to watch Keighley become the de facto choice to replace E3. He's had plenty of criticism and rarely seems to respond to it.

The ESA was far from perfect but I don't think Keighley selling segments to every bidder so his production company makes more money helps the industry. The main thing Keighley has going for him is he puts in the work to put on a competent show.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Sucks to hear. As much as game journalologists seems to dislike E3, and how it doesn't really make much sense in the streaming age, I've always loved E3 week.

A replacement would be fine, but a 3 month summer event thing doesn't have the same charm. Just a bunch of directs at that point.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By brian_

Too many Je(Geo)ffs with too much power. I don't like it.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

As long as GB gets to talk over some sort of gaming event, no matter what it is, I'm in. lol

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Damn. NOW how will Todd Howard make fun of Bethesda's janky output instead of fixing it? How will Activision and Ubisoft spend millions on PR spin??

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Remember when Geoff Keighley was just a host on Gametrailers.com? Who would've thought he'd become Mr. Video Games to the masses?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh no! All we have to do is wait for Gamescom 2022 instead.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what this means, right? It's time for G3 - the GiantBomb Gaming Gala. Hosted by Gerstmann, Grubb, and Gavankar.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soooooooo, I thought this was canceled like months ago.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh no! Anyway

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tartyron: The in-person E3 was cancelled a few months back. Rumors were going around even before then that the ESA is a gigantic mess and that the pandemic gave them an easy out. Of course, they immediately turned around and tried to tell everyone they were going to do a big digital event that would be just as good and I don't think anyone really believed them then either.

This is just confirming E3 has been dead for a while.

reap3r160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that I'm up in arms, but at this point I don't think there's even a point of having a show period.

Last year and the year prior, it was more of a necessity vs a course change. But even then, my excitement for anything coming out was WAY down. I largely just looked at my games related news feeds or just checked the Wikipedia entry for game releases. Maintaining the same level of hype for basically a whole year is exhausting haha.

Not that I feel like I NEED an event to get me excited about games, but if we're gonna have one I hope Keighley's thing is in a similar vein of e3 vs the scattershot "state of *insert company" we had the last couple years.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

While I don't trust the Entertainment Software Association as far as I can throw them; I would only trust Keighley 1.43x as far as I can throw him. That throw would be less than 2 meters for sure. So, while e3 not happening is okay, I think all gamers, all games media, and all games pundits should think of this as - out of the frying pan and into the fire.

At best this is a lateral move like one corporation with vested interests being switch to another corporations with deep often undisclosed corporate vested interests. This is worse than if one of the "nerd-focused' gamer expos conglomerates had taken over - JNO. Give me Fan Expo HQ/Informa Connect because they run Game Developers Conference (GDC) and Game Developer, formerly known as Gamasutra.

Fan Expo HQ/Informa Connect knows how to put on fan based expositions in major cities:

We will se what Geoff can pull off, but I am very skeptical that this won't be even worse corporate schill-ery. I get it Geoff has been working this as a main hustle for awhile now - he won't stop - but I don't think what he does in anything else but a bit slimey.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Not sad to see it go, but also not excited to watch Keighley become the de facto choice to replace E3. He's had plenty of criticism and rarely seems to respond to it.

The ESA was far from perfect but I don't think Keighley selling segments to every bidder so his production company makes more money helps the industry. The main thing Keighley has going for him is he puts in the work to put on a competent show.

I have to echo this sentiment as well. I appreciate Keighley's enthusiasm for hosting these sorts of events, but he has very obvious favorites and provides the brightest spotlights to those developers that he personally likes. He has not been the best at surfacing smaller indie titles and doesn't hold developers to a high standard about clarifying what is real gameplay or a "sizzle reel." On top of that, his complete lack of a filter or any editing staff consistently make watching the Game Awards nigh unwatchable, at least in my opinion, and there's no signs that he will ever change in that regard.

camitalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't shock me honestly, although it is a shame. Obviously with Covid I get why something like this can't happen but i truly believe that there really does need to be an all encompassing video game show for people to go to in person. The biggest draw of e3 was everyone was in one place, devs, publishers, press etc. which cultivated relationships, deals etc. The ESA wanting E3 to become a public facing show, while being a reaction to dwindling attendance also created a shift in purpose. I really think its hard, any show that bring in the whole industry will inevitably draw interest from fans despite that being a problem.

Hopefully the keighley stuff is more organized and substantial than last year as I thought it was a mess.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AV_Gamer

I think after these two years and counting, people are just used to doing things at home and on the internet now a days. I'm not saying Covid is no longer a threat and that everything is fine, but I do believe a lot of people are now home bodies. It doesn't bother me either way, a lot of video game companies have their own stream where they update people on games and show trailers anyway. There really isn't much of a reason these days to have an E3.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Great. Now everyone with a gaming podcast will be like, "We've said E3 was going away for a long time." Like...yeah? Good for you? Eventually you were correct?

All of the things I hated about E3 presentations are the same things I hate about Keighley presentations. I get that the guy is trusted by the industry to showcase their games, but he's always come across as someone who is deeply invested in famous people knowing who he is and respecting him. It makes his shows a lot to suffer through.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

@bladeofcreation: Keighley is the Ryan Seacrest of the gaming industry. And like Seacrest, he is a major tool most people can't stand. But also like Seacrest, he has successfully convinced a lot of people he is the only one who can do the job that he does and is tolerated by most people for that reason.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great. Now everyone with a gaming podcast will be like, "We've said E3 was going away for a long time." Like...yeah? Good for you? Eventually you were correct?

All of the things I hated about E3 presentations are the same things I hate about Keighley presentations. I get that the guy is trusted by the industry to showcase their games, but he's always come across as someone who is deeply invested in famous people knowing who he is and respecting him. It makes his shows a lot to suffer through.

Yeah, that fact he is, 'the guy' trusted by the industry to showcase their games, should give people pause.

No Caption Provided

Enjoy the show, but remember what you are seeing is more edited, curated, and focused that what e3 might have presented.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss E3. Not just as a spectacle but it was a very specific thing. It felt like an industry event whereas the Keighley stuff is directly aimed at consumers.

Think about the GB night shows and how much inside baseball you could get from that. It's the kind of chatter you only get by having the industry concentrated in that space for a week. All those deals, conversations and announcements made that event tick. Sure, they can have those private talks remotely and at any time of the year, but that week in June was always on the calendar.

Now that I think of it, you had the Gamespot stages as well. That was a good way to see demos of games rather than being crammed into an indie sizzle reel.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#24 FinalDasa  Moderator

@monkeyking1969: @av_gamer: It's money. He has to be cozy and cordial with everyone in order to keep the companies paying for slots at the Game Awards or during Summer Game Fest.

He also needs to keep a good relationship with the press because they're the ones voting for the nominations and winners at the Game Awards. And he needs them to write about the announcements and fun times and ignore the times he says there's no room for abuse in the industry and then introduces a Quantic Dream game.

I don't envy his position, but I don't think he's the best thing for the industry.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Welcome to the Awards Shows & Expos brought to you by:

Whoppercoin - At Burger King, we don't get crypto either
Russian oligarch Vladimir Potanin - We corned the market on nickel mining - so shut up
Brawndo - Its what plants crave! It's got electrolytes!
Autumn's Eve - Enjoy our new Pumpkin Spice Douche
Epoxy-Dent — The strongest denture cream permitted by law

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll definitely miss E3. It wasn't always good but letting the big publishers curate themselves was always more entertaining than the Keighly's or whatever Geoff's show is called. I skip maybe 90% of the musical acts Geoff picks out and I don't think he'll ever manage to reach the highest highs or lowest lows of E3.

I'll also really miss my #1 favorite talk show, GB @ Nite, but I mourned the end of that show a year ago.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Why do people dislike Keighley? He gives a shit about all this. And yeah, there's a lot of corporate involvement but this sort of stuff ain't cheap. His crew has steadily improved so much from where they were ten years ago.

Sometimes it feels like this industry is the Itchy and Scratchy focus group. What do people realistically want? Key word: realistically. He's super transparent about a lot of this stuff and the end results make sense.