I will admit e3 not being there leaves a hole

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think e3 was already dead for years and was serving few purposes for the industry with the way it was going. But it was nice to have a whole week where the all seeing eye of all media would turn to gaming. It was like Gamers Kwanzaa, a damn good way to celebrate in our own way -on our own terms- for many many years.

So, in June I will feel and empty hole that I don't think anyone will fill very well. I always liked the fire hose of information being pumped out in June, but truly in the last six years it was the stage shows by the console makers and the big developers that actually mattered. A few things tricked out or were clarified later in the week, but I will miss having stage shows pumping out new information on after the other. Its was still fun to see how teh world viewed what Sony, MS, and Nintendo showed off in comparison.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think E3 has become the least important part of "E3 week". I don't think there's anything stopping all the same companies from putting on the same shows they've always put on in June, if that's what they want to do, just because actual E3 isn't happening. I think most of the big companies were already going outside of E3 to do their stage shows anyways.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I admit I was kind of hoping we could go back this year!

mAAArii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

By now we would have leaks. A certain percentage of those leaks would be true. Gamers would run wild with possibilities and disappointments. In a few weeks we would have all of our facts and a shadow-drop or three. Without being concerned about the value to the companies the value to us was tremendous. You get an honorary degree in internet for the captain obvious route of finding E3 worthless based on the weight of column A versus column B.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You'll have Gamer Christmas provided exclusively by Geoff Keighley this year.

*looks at Jeff G's tweet again*

Yeah, that still makes me laugh.

jagerxbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna miss the GB @ Nite show the most. The last night with Lang and Co. was always my favorite.

Avatar image for insaneluchadoor
InsaneLuchadoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By InsaneLuchadoor

I feel bad saying this but I wasnt a fan of the GB @ Night couch interviews. I know the crew worked like crazy to put them on, but I never thought they added too much. My favorite part of the coverage is the press conference reaction streams/following podcasts where it’s all discussed. I’m kind of fine without the week, and the fact that the ESA is losing a major revenue source kind of makes me glad E3 is breathing its final gasps. Where should I turn in my gamer card?

Edit: called the ESA the esrb

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

We knew E3 wasn't doing so well, but I don't think anyone imagined at the time that E3 2019 might be the last one ever. Crazy times.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By gtxforza

Each year of the E3 event, I usually come to see the 1st & 3rd party companies showcase their future products.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Its a bummer for me as well. I liked all of it, talking over the conferences, the after shows, the podcasts, etc. It wasn't even about all the games being good or bad for me. It was just everybody getting together, reacting to something for the first time and speculating about it. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter who's doing it whether its E3 or Geoff so as long as something happens.

edoone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

likewise dude

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I believe E3 needs to come back for the good of the gaming industry. Too many memories both good and bad for it to be so quickly forgotten. It has a legacy worth continuing.

pushBAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would make sexy with the hole

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah it's a big loss. I don't really keep up with games anymore and this is like, another nail in that coffin. But the thing I miss the most is the GB content. from the old house-renting days to the more recent couch shows, it was a great time for videos on the site, especially when the site split and it became a chance for both coastal crews to link up.

giving a big <> for E3 now :(

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose on the other hand, without e3 in the way, there is more space of other things. After the forest fire the new growth is healthier.

At one point in the last two months, Jeff G, pointed out the the rank & file developers being freed from making "e3 builds" of their games could be shown to the public might help - or not having to make the builds woudl reduce wasted effort. Perhaps, a recalibration of when things are shown depending on the game and the publisher will make for better coverage when/if things are shown to media.

I'll will see what Geoff does with his chance, but I think I'd rather have no form and no organized show for awhile. I think even considering a replacement show in North America might be like search for a solution that has not problem to create it. If there needs to be replacement where everyone comes together then Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and Namco-Bandi will MAKE something organically to fit and actual need. Meanwhile, maybe, the Paris, Cologne or Tokyo shows might suffice.

It might sound cynical and capitalist...but you would think Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft would rather showcase games in OCTOBER just before the holiday, right? Yes, in many nation kids are out of school from late June to early August....but does that matter when the 4/5ths of democratic playing games worldwide are adults 18-80? Sure under <18 is a solid 20%, yet even teh young kids woudl likely be just as ravenous for game news in October?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It occurred to me the Giant Bomb should just go to "Anime Expo LA" in place of e3 on July 1st 2022 instead.

Loading Video...
Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd settle for a live streamed drive to LA but I don't think Jeff can pull that off with the kids.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

E3 created some amazing moments in the past, but I think eveyone getting together and seeing who can shout the loudest isn't the best way to show the actual games.

It was spectacle for little gain most of the big new games you see during E3 don't come out that year, it was like taking oxygen away from the current years releases.

When MS does it's 30 games in 5min montage, who's that helping? You barely have time to register what your seeing.

Showing games when their ready and not to a fixed schedule is better.