Concept pages for "Removed from Steam/GOG"?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#1  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I saw there's a concept page for games removed from XBLA, but plenty of games have been removed from GOG and Steam over the years (there's a whole wiki for games removed from GOG: http://www.gogwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_removed_from_GOG). Most of these games are still linked to the GOG and Steam concept pages due to having been available there, so I wonder if the appropriate thing to do when they disappear off services like that would be to remove the concepts from the game pages, or create a concept page for games removed from that service and add them there?

This wouldn't just be games famously removed for threatening Gabe Newell or making up stuff on the product pages, but all the licensed games removed after the marketing for a movie is done, games removed due to developer or publisher bankruptcy and stuff like that.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wouldn't mind it, there are less useful pages out there. I would think it's more something for Wikipedia than Giant Bomb's wiki but if there is one for games removed from XBLA there should be ones for other services as well.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Sure, I'm for it.

@hassun said:

I wouldn't mind it, there are less useful pages out there. I would think it's more something for Wikipedia than Giant Bomb's wiki but if there is one for games removed from XBLA there should be ones for other services as well.

Why would you think that?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I've always seen the GB wiki being more about the games themselves than the legal/financial systems which decide whether or not they are being sold in one particular store.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Why not? Better to have this information centralized somewhere than not have it at all. I think these are exactly the type of weird pages that make the GB wiki so interesting.

@hassun said:

@yummylee: I've always seen the GB wiki being more about the games themselves than the legal/financial systems which decide whether or not they are being sold in one particular store.

If that was the case we wouldn't have concept pages for these storefronts at all.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ben_H

Yeah I agree with MB. It would be useful for cases where you are looking up information about a game and see that it is basically discontinued. For example, something like Dirt 2 where they didn't fix the GFWL stuff and stopped selling it on Steam.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

OK, since you all seemed to be in favor of the idea I've created the concept pages Removed from gog.com (lower case because apparently the gog.com concept is written that way - EDIT: It isn't when I click it, but it was in search :o ) and Removed from Steam.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Hey if someone wants to tackle the job that's fine by me.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I don't deal with the wiki side of things often, but this sems pretty reasonable.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Seems like a good idea to me! Consistent with the XBLA page and potentially useful to users.

probably out to be one for PSN and Nintendo's eShop too right?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@slag said:

Seems like a good idea to me! Consistent with the XBLA page and potentially useful to users.

Nintendo's stores would need separate entries for the Wii Shop and the eShop since they cover entirely different platforms and aren't subject to the same rules and licensing things. There are, for example, games that were removed from the Wii Virtual Console when they were put on the Wii U Virtual Console (some Capcom games, for instance).

Btw, what happens with games that were only removed in one region? You can't add those to the "removed from store X" concept because they still are on the store, just not in all regions.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def said:

@slag said:

Nintendo's stores would need separate entries for the Wii Shop and the eShop since they cover entirely different platforms and aren't subject to the same rules and licensing things. There are, for example, games that were removed from the Wii Virtual Console when they were put on the Wii U Virtual Console (some Capcom games, for instance).

Btw, what happens with games that were only removed in one region? You can't add those to the "removed from store X" concept because they still are on the store, just not in all regions.

Good points Nintendo's stores are a bit platform specific, The current solution also doesn't address region issue.

and I suppose there are things like the iTunes store and Google Play too...

maybe this is something that needs to be handled in the release part of the data instead of a concept?

Something like an un-release with a date and a platform and a region?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@slag said:

@def said:

@slag said:

Good points Nintendo's stores are a bit platform specific, The current solution also doesn't address region issue.

maybe this is something that needs to be handled in the release part of the data instead of a concept?

You can add comments such as region specific stuff if you go to the "Game Appearances" section of the concept page (under the "Related Pages" header) and edit from there. In that section you get access to a comment field for every game you add, making it possible to add date for removal, region and all that stuff. It's still only visible for people who choose to "View all X results", but at least the data will be there for those who want specifics.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

@slag said:

@def said:

@slag said:

You can add comments such as region specific stuff if you go to the "Game Appearances" section of the concept page (under the "Related Pages" header) and edit from there. In that section you get access to a comment field for every game you add, making it possible to add date for removal, region and all that stuff. It's still only visible for people who choose to "View all X results", but at least the data will be there for those who want specifics.

that's something I suppose. Still perhaps not ideal since it isn't actually on the game's individual page. But something is better than nothing

Thanks for pointing that out!