• 156 results
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

OK, so we're now only three months away from the Devil May Cry reboot, and still is there someone who persists on changing Dante's default image to that of an older design. Well, I say 'older', but the image that keeps being put up is concept art taken from this weird little 3DS strategy game starring all kinds of popular characters from CAPCOM, Sega and Namco franchises. It's not a Devil May Cry game by any means.

Frankly this exhibition of passive-aggressiveness towards the new Dante design is just downright childish, and whoever it is (I have an inkling, but I don't want to point fingers since I'm not entirely certain) needs to get over the fact that Dante doesn't have silver hair anymore.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

@Yummylee: The Dante article says that the new DmC takes place in an alternate universe.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

/applause

I agree wholeheartedly. I would be willing to argue, however, that there is no rule that a wiki's default image for a character necessarily has to be its most recent iteration. Silver-haired Dante is iconic for the franchise, so I can understand the argument for either side.

Nonetheless, it does seem childish. I've always kind of wondered if the staff would be willing to put a lock button onto the default image that is set for a wiki page in order to prevent it from being changed out by childish crap or anyone trying to vandalize the pages.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yummylee

@Dagbiker: Reboot, alternate universe - whatever. NT Dante is the current look of Dante, and given how the wiki rules work, that is how his character page should be represented.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By psylah

Someone should change the default image to Mr. Tameem

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By iamjohn

It would be really nice if we could request that mods lock pages from certain edits a la Wikipedia.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By crazyleaves

Some bros like silver haired dudes some like brunette dudes, can't you all just give it up?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

I support the person who is changing it back, old Dante is iconic, new Dante isn't. Could new Dante become iconic? Maybe [but let's be serious - no], but he isn't now.

If it was after just one Devil May Cry game where the look of the character was changed, then sure, but when he has shown up in what? 4 DMC games and cameos in others (most notably MvC3/UMvC3) I think he's best left as the older image for the wiki.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

@Yummylee: I was just trying to understand dude.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Animasta

can't we just put both dante's into a single picture? Seems like it would solve the problem

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

Also if the rule is true who wants to be the monster who defaces the pacman page from

This
This
to This
to This
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hunter5024

@Animasta said:

can't we just put both dante's into a single picture? Seems like it would solve the problem

This seems like the only logical compromise to me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yummylee

@Sooty: I've always followed the notion that a character's default image is however they look in their latest iteration. And spin-offs don't count at that, which is the image that has continually been swapped in over NT Dante. If leather jacket-clad, white haired Dante returns for the next one, however, then I would agree that's how his character page will be represented. But until that ever happens (and if it ever happens; for all anybody knows this could be the Dante that carries on the series for good, if not for a while), NT Dante is Dante, here and now.

Of course if any of the mods/staff will agree that classic Dante should be put up, then so be it. This isn't some sort of personal feud for me (though I admittedly prefer new Dante over old) and I'm only going along with how I've always believed the wiki operates.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yummylee

@Dagbiker said:

This
This
to This
to This

Also if the rule is true who wants to be the monster who defaces the pacman page from

Mascot characters are... tricky, and I imagine fall under a different ruleset considering they often don't follow a story continuity. Hence why Mario's page has modern Mario rather than him from his days as a sprite.

EDIT: Though speaking of Pacman, there's also those Pacman Championship games that reverted him to his classic look.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By landon

I don't see why we can't just give him a new page all together. If Megaman, Megaman, and Megaman all get separate pages, why can't these two Dantes? Those Megamans have a ton in common, these two Dantes are barley the same person.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dagbiker
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Fallen189

We have had this argument/thread about 10 times now.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By psylah
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dagbiker

@psylah: Very true, someone needs to fix these errors post haste.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By psylah

@Dagbiker said:

@psylah: Very true, someone needs to fix these errors post haste.

I'M ON IT.

*fart noises*

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yummylee

@Dagbiker said:

@Yummylee: Yes, but this is what he looks like in his latest game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/pac-man-galaga-dimensions/61-34079/

Again, it's tricky, and it's hard to even identify what's a spin-off and what's the next primary entry for a franchise like Pacman...

@Landon said:

I don't see why we can't just give him a new page all together. If Megaman, Megaman, and Megaman all get separate pages, why can't these two Dantes? Those Megamans have a ton in common, these two Dantes are barley the same person.

Huh, well if stuff like that is allowed, then maybe creating another Dante page may be in order.

Though NT Dante has a lot in common with original Dante. They're both cocky, excel at fighting demon's, and like to talk big against towering demon bosses. I think you're giving the original Dante too much credit as an actual 'character' when you say he's barely alike this new one. The reboot trailers alone portray him as pretty much the same style of character he's always been; the only radical change is his appearance.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee

@psylah said:

@Dagbiker said:

Let's not forget the latest iteration of Mega Man

No Caption Provided

Stop being so obtuse. That's a cameo in a fighting game for Christmas sake. Much like how Street Fighter x Tekken isn't considered a Mega Man game, that portrayal of Mega Man obviously isn't exactly in tune with 'canon' Mega Man.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By evanbower

Stop being passive aggressive! Get full on aggressive and make Dante's default image a picture of Edward Cullen.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sooty

New Dante should just have a separate page or not be the main image, because it's going to clash with the photos and information (if the story changes) of Old Dante that are also on the page. It just seems a bit weird to me.

I think Old Dante is most fitting because he's the more iconic of the two, DMC1 was influential and he's also the design used in way more games.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By evanbower

@Hunter5024 said:

@Animasta said:

This seems like the only logical compromise to me.

No! We tear the old Dante in half, and both of you can have one piece of him.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince

Dante's default image should be silver haired Dante... He is the most well known, appearing in the most games, and is for all intents and purposes Capcom's Dante. The new DmC Dante should appear under the DmC spin off page.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By musubi

I'm in camp of having the image represent the current iteration of the character. It only makes sense. That means it will always be familiar to the current audience. If someone wants to dig into how that character used to look then that is what the image gallery is for. Also that megaman stuff is fucking insane I know that is a war I won't win so I won't even bother but I'd like to see even those pages combined.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Haw haw, what sad people. I wish the mods would just put a pic of the designer from Ninja Theory and lock the page so these passive aggressive losers would have a spergfit deluxe.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yummylee

@TeflonBilly said:

Haw haw, what sad people. I wish the mods would just put a pic of the designer from Ninja Theory and lock the page so these passive aggressive losers would have a spergfit deluxe.

Awwwww shit, teflonbilly's been hit, man down man down! Got him right in the nerve, sarge! There's butthurt everywhere! Anywhoo this is stupid. I've made my case. Now I just wish a mod or staff member could intervene and lay down the law on what's to be done.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Demoskinos said:

I'm in camp of having the image represent the current iteration of the character. It only makes sense. That means it will always be familiar to the current audience. If someone wants to dig into how that character used to look then that is what the image gallery is for. Also that megaman stuff is fucking insane I know that is a war I won't win so I won't even bother but I'd like to see even those pages combined.

It shouldn't be current form, it should be well known form. What if the new DmC comes out and it's an atrocious mess with no other game following it, why would you want that to be Dante's default image? For characters like Mario, having it be the most recent iteration is fine, because Mario barely changes visually. However when you have a character like Dante, which has changed drastically, then it should be his most well known image. New DmC Dante should appear under a sub heading.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By colourful_hippie
Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Sackmanjones

Well shit... After reading this thread, i'm glad I don't do this stuff....

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hunter5024

What if we just find a good picture of current Dante, but in his silver haired form in the new game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yummylee said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Awwwww shit, teflonbilly's been hit, man down man down! Got him right in the nerve, sarge! There's butthurt everywhere! Anywhoo this is stupid. I've made my case. Now I just wish a mod or staff member could intervene and lay down the law on what's to be done.

I say we both fill our goblets with the butthurt tears of all these sperglords.

You know, seeing as Jeff has thrown down the gauntlet of making a video for every game in the database, I think every character default pic should be of one of the Bombcrew cosplaying as the character!

I can't wait to see Brad as Mai Shiranui

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dagbiker

I think what ever the rule, you cant make exceptions. If you change Dante, someone has to change Pac-man.

EDIT: and every one who votes to change Dante has to be able to look them self in the mirror and know they killed Pac-man.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jakob187

@LiquidPrince said:

Dante's default image should be silver haired Dante... He is the most well known, appearing in the most games, and is for all intents and purposes Capcom's Dante.

Then let's change the picture on Nathan "Rad" Spencer's page over to the original Nathan "Rad" Spencer since the dreadlocked version isn't "Capcom's Spencer".

Better yet, what's the argument for the Lara Croft page? Right now, it's a multi-picture of Lara, which I'm to understand is against the rules...and it doesn't even include the NEW Lara Croft. Even then, the new Lara just isn't the iconic version of Eidos' "Lara". The new one is Square Enix's "Lara", so should we make a separate page for SE's "Lara"?

Seriously, this argument is stupid. Iconic or not, the newest version of Dante is the black-haired one, and it's the one that needs to be on the default image. I hate saying that, but it's what the case should be.

If we were to go with iconic looks, then we're getting into very subjective territory that literally has no winning point in the argument.

If you want it to be silver-haired Dante, nut up and deal with it. Seriously, all this shit is so fucking stupid.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Yummylee

@LiquidPrince said:

@Demoskinos said:

It shouldn't be current form, it should be well known form. What if the new DmC comes out and it's an atrocious mess with no other game following it, why would you want that to be Dante's default image? For characters like Mario, having it be the most recent iteration is fine, because Mario barely changes visually. However when you have a character like Dante, which has changed drastically, then it should be his most well known image. New DmC Dante should appear under a sub heading.

That's all subjective. I think RE6 is an atrocious mess and would rather be greeted by RE5 Chris Redfield at the top right side of his page... Same with what makes a character particularly ''iconic''. Sure, I would agree that silver-haired Dante is of course more iconic, but other people who have may have never played a DMC before and then begin with this one may disagree.

What is a fact, though, is what Dante currently looks like, that is in the NT reboot. And just look at The Prince page. I can remember a time when the 2008 iteration was put up as his default image, despite being a reboot. I look at it now and I don't even recognise who's up there anymore. It's not the Yuri Lowenthal Prince from the Sands of Time trilogy, who could be argued as being the most ''iconic''. It's debates like these why if only for simplicities sake, a character's current appearance is regarded as the default one for their page.

EDIT: Ah, jakob beat me to it.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Garfield518

The people on both sides of this argument are extremely petty.

It's a fucking picture of the same character, it doesn't matter.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Sackmanjones said:

Well shit... After reading this thread, i'm glad I don't do this stuff....

You and me both, brother. Inaction! The only way!

@Yummylee:

I was really disappointed when I clicked that link and wasn't greeted to this beautiful man:

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By vaiz

This is stupid. It doesn't matter what you think the more Iconic Dante is. The NT one is the current one, and either it should be the current representation on the page, or get his own page. I imagine that latter will be much more feasible once the game comes out and we know more about this Dante.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Let's just split the difference and have the image be of new Dante in the silver haired rage mode thing?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By MooseyMcMan

You know, I hate the design of new jack Dante a lot, but I think fighting over the image for the page is dumb.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dagbiker

Here, I just saved you 500 posts.

No Caption Provided
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By ZombiePie

Requesting a staff verdict. Cease all debates and argument until then.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Brodehouse

Let's just split the difference and have the image be of new Dante in the silver haired rage mode thing?

New Dante with old Dante's hair crudely photoshopped onto his head.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Brodehouse

New Dante with Viewtiful Joe's head crudely photoshopped.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Brodehouse said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Brodehouse

New Dante with Megaman's face crudely photoshopped on.

That's like 4 birds with a single shop.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Brodehouse

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Brodehouse

New Dante's body, old Dante's hair, whole image colored in with black.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LiquidPrince

@jakob187: I couldn't care less which Dante ends up on the page so don't get your pantaloons all tied up in a bunch. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. What ultimately ends up on that page couldn't be less of a concern to me.

No Caption Provided

@Yummylee: I think both of your perspectives are off because we're dealing with Dante. Image if you will that due to the Wii U targeting a more hardcore audience, Nintendo decides to revamp Mario in a game called SmB. The dark middle chapter of Mario's life. In the process they change mario to look like this the image on the left. I doubt people would be saying we should change the iconic Mario into that.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FateOfNever

@Yummylee said:

No Caption Provided

@psylah said:

@Dagbiker said:

Let's not forget the latest iteration of Mega Man

Stop being so obtuse. That's a cameo in a fighting game for Christmas sake. Much like how Street Fighter x Tekken isn't considered a Mega Man game, that portrayal of Mega Man obviously isn't exactly in tune with 'canon' Mega Man.

While not in tune with 'cannon' Mega ManMega Man , it is somewhat in tune with Mega Man LegendsMega Man Volnutt (especially considering the 'story' for Mega Man in that game suggests that that's who he is, or is supposed to be) and is in tune with the original box art for Mega Man.

But, if you don't like that one, then should the Mega Man picture be changed to an image of the Mega Man Universe Mega Men? While that game never came out, it is the most recent iteration of that character from the official company. Just because it didn't come out, it still had what Mega Man was going to look like in game, so shouldn't it be changed to that? Or because it was canceled should it not count? And the box art for Mega Man 10 shows a rather different looking Mega Man AND Proto Man, so should both of those character images be changed to what the box art shows? Or only what the character looks like in game?

@Yummylee said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Demoskinos said:

That's all subjective. I think RE6 is an atrocious mess and would rather be greeted by RE5 Chris Redfield at the top right side of his page... Same with what makes a character particularly ''iconic''. Sure, I would agree that silver-haired Dante is of course more iconic, but other people who have may have never played a DMC before and then begin with this one may disagree.

What is a fact, though, is what Dante currently looks like, that is in the NT reboot. And just look at The Prince page. I can remember a time when the 2008 iteration was put up as his default image, despite being a reboot. I look at it now and I don't even recognise who's up there anymore. It's not the Yuri Lowenthal Prince from the Sands of Time trilogy, who could be argued as being the most ''iconic''. It's debates like these why if only for simplicities sake, a character's current appearance is regarded as the default one for their page.

EDIT: Ah, jakob beat me to it.

See, the argument for RE isn't the same though. RE6 Chris is still the exact same Chris from RE5 and before. Dante from NT DmC isn't the Dante from DMC1-4. The Prince argument is more of an argument, but, actually, by your own argument the picture for The Prince actually should be the Yuri Lowenthal Prince because the most recent game for The Prince is Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands and Prince of Persia Triology 3D.

Edit: for taking so long to write this I missed the mod saying no further discussion at the moment. I think my point about the Prince still stands though, the art there should be updated to the Sands of Time prince his the last two games to come out for that franchise (one an HD collection and the other being The Forgotten Sands) showcase that Prince, and not the Price from the reboot, right?