Deleting and Renaming Image Galleries

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By StarFoxA

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that this feature has been implemented for users. If I am right, then I would absolutely love to see it implemented for users with a lot of points. I have seen countless galleries that are pointless, or need renaming.

Also, I would like a feature that allows users to set an image for individual galleries (similar to the box art setting feature).

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By roushimsx

This would be pretty neat, but I don't think that a gallery should be able to be deleted outright. I think that that should still be dealt with via moderation, but it'd be nice to be able to flag something for deletion along with a reason why. Being able to rename galleries (such as to correct spelling and capitalization) would be an absolute godsend.

In addition to being able to set the primary thumbnail of a gallery, it'd be nice to be able to flag which images you feel should be shown on the main page's "top six". Before it was the first six images uploaded and now it's the last six uploaded, but it'd be swell if users could set which ones they'd like to show up. Perhaps have it set up in some kind of voting fashion where the images with the highest number of  "set" hits wind up there.

I know, lots of backend work would probably be needed for something like that to happen. My main motivation for it is that I love to upload images sequentially in the order that I took them as I played through a game, but this has been leading to some seriously spoilerific situations. At times, I've had to go back to random points in a game, snap some new shots, and upload them just to bump the heavy spoilers off of the main page.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StarFoxA
roushimsx said:
"This would be pretty neat, but I don't think that a gallery should be able to be deleted outright. I think that that should still be dealt with via moderation, but it'd be nice to be able to flag something for deletion along with a reason why. Being able to rename galleries (such as to correct spelling and capitalization) would be an absolute godsend.

In addition to being able to set the primary thumbnail of a gallery, it'd be nice to be able to flag which images you feel should be shown on the main page's "top six". Before it was the first six images uploaded and now it's the last six uploaded, but it'd be swell if users could set which ones they'd like to show up. Perhaps have it set up in some kind of voting fashion where the images with the highest number of  "set" hits wind up there.

I know, lots of backend work would probably be needed for something like that to happen. My main motivation for it is that I love to upload images sequentially in the order that I took them as I played through a game, but this has been leading to some seriously spoilerific situations. At times, I've had to go back to random points in a game, snap some new shots, and upload them just to bump the heavy spoilers off of the main page.
"
I think that a lot of galleries are candidate for outright deletion. For example, I've seen numerous galleries for Concept Art, Characters, and then several for each town or situation that the player gets in in the game; making very messy. Some useless galleries, such as cosplay or commercials, are pointless as well, in my opinion. But I like your idea for being able to flag certain galleries.

Yes, setting the top six would be absolutely awesome. "Hits" might not be that great of an idea; I'd prefer more of a voting system, and the ones with the most votes from the users will get displayed.

Spoilers are definitely an issue. Possibly a way to flag certain images as spoilers, and then a default "Giant Bomb Spoiler!" picture or something would show up?
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Endogene
StarFoxA said:
I think that a lot of galleries are candidate for outright deletion. For example, I've seen numerous galleries for Concept Art, Characters, and then several for each town or situation that the player gets in in the game; making very messy. Some useless galleries, such as cosplay or commercials, are pointless as well, in my opinion. But I like your idea for being able to flag certain galleries.

Yes, setting the top six would be absolutely awesome. "Hits" might not be that great of an idea; I'd prefer more of a voting system, and the ones with the most votes from the users will get displayed.

Spoilers are definitely an issue. Possibly a way to flag certain images as spoilers, and then a default "Giant Bomb Spoiler!" picture or something would show up?"
could you be talking about the earthbound page?

Actualy there is an difference between concept art and final art (character art) but i do agree that many galleries are founded on a misjudgement.
The "commercials" or  "advertising" galleries are sometimes needed since those pictures do belong to the game but are no screenshots nor official art.

Cosplay is a grey area for now, i have no memories of any discussion by the GB about it or if they disaprove of there being cosplay on this site thus i create a seperate gallery if there is any cosplay in the game gallery so that at least it isnt in the concept art gallerie what some people tend to do...

I'm sure a feature allowing users to delete/report galleries will come, and i fully agree that it is needed
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MasturbatingBear

One thing i want to know is where would you classify arcade cabinets? Like for a console game like say gauntlet legends. what gallery would arcade cabinet be under? or just let it be on the game gallery? The closest id say is box art.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Endogene

box art is where i put them.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roushimsx
StarFoxA said:

Spoilers are definitely an issue. Possibly a way to flag certain images as spoilers, and then a default "Giant Bomb Spoiler!" picture or something would show up?"
by "set" hits, I mean the top six would be decided based essentially on a voting system. Eligible editors choose which six images they'd like to set and the six images with the most "sets" wind up on there.

I think that having categories for various locations in a game should decided based on whether or not there's a concept for that location already or not. If there is, then migrate the images over to a game-specific gallery under that concept. If not, keep the gallery until someone motivated enough creates said concept. Until then, the categories remain an effective way of helping organize the galleries. It's just a shame the galleries are so flat; it'd be nice to have a main category of "Locations" and then go down to another level to a list of towns / fictional countries / etc.

Concept Art is something that I feel should remain, though instances of Promotional Art and Advertisements could be merged into each other since they encompass the same general idea. Retaining both or just one of them wouldn't hurt my feelings much, but I'm strongly against removing both.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StarFoxA
Endogene said:
could you be talking about the earthbound page?

Actualy there is an difference between concept art and final art (character art) but i do agree that many galleries are founded on a misjudgement.
The "commercials" or  "advertising" galleries are sometimes needed since those pictures do belong to the game but are no screenshots nor official art.

Cosplay is a grey area for now, i have no memories of any discussion by the GB about it or if they disaprove of there being cosplay on this site thus i create a seperate gallery if there is any cosplay in the game gallery so that at least it isnt in the concept art gallerie what some people tend to do...

I'm sure a feature allowing users to delete/report galleries will come, and i fully agree that it is needed"
EarthBound is a prime example of this.

Art would be a better gallery then, to merge these two.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Emilio

For the arcade question, I think maybe Box Art should be renamed to Box Art & Materials or something like that where the cover, manual, and cart/disc can go.. If you guys remember a while back I was asking on where game carts go, and I was putting them in the box art section because I didn't think adding a whole new gallery for just a cart would be okay.

So, maybe the arcade cabinets can jump into box art & materials or whatever we call since it really isn't a box.

jlrm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By jlrm01
Emilio said:
"For the arcade question, I think maybe Box Art should be renamed to Box Art & Materials or something like that where the cover, manual, and cart/disc can go.. If you guys remember a while back I was asking on where game carts go, and I was putting them in the box art section because I didn't think adding a whole new gallery for just a cart would be okay.

So, maybe the arcade cabinets can jump into box art & materials or whatever we call since it really isn't a box."
There was a thread about this... so I'm afraid I'm kind of terribly off-topic...

This causes problems during image moderation. I disapprove (and others, too, I've seen, judging from the comments) arcade cabinet images that are meant for the Box Art gallery. It isn't a box. It can't be there, I think. Nor manuals, cartridges, discs, etc. For arcade cabinets I leave comments that it should go either in All Images only (if no existing gallery fits and there is no need for a new gallery) or maybe that an Arcade Cabinet (or some other fancier name) gallery be created. But I feel bad for rejecting them (well, I always feel bad when I have to disapprove an image). I often leave a comment that they should re-submit the image... but many times I don't see the image anymore. As if I killed the image (well, helped in killing it). As Breton would put it: :(

When you add the platform for a game as Arcade, maybe an automatic gallery should spring up on the page, with whatever name is decided on, where the cabinet images can go (plus Box Art for the non-arcade versions, and maybe an Included Materials, too (or a better name for it)).

Would be nice to have an official word on this. Images are dying. ^_^;
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StarFoxA

We really need official word on images and galleries. Right now it's very unclear what is acceptable and what isn't.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By brukaoru

I agree that this could be useful. Also, is there any way for users to delete this own images they have uploaded that were placed in the wrong gallery, or are duplicates? If users were allowed to delete their own uploaded images, I'm sure it would save the staff a lot of time so we wouldn't need to ask them to delete duplicate images.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Endogene
brukaoru said:
"I agree that this could be useful. Also, is there any way for users to delete this own images they have uploaded that were placed in the wrong gallery, or are duplicates? If users were allowed to delete their own uploaded images, I'm sure it would save the staff a lot of time so we wouldn't need to ask them to delete duplicate images."
The staff does not delete duplicate images 5K plus members like myself do so.
Just post them in the delete images thread.

edit: actually 1k plus members can do so