Did the points value of text edits just get altered?

• 64 results
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Endogene

I just got 50 points for a small text edit, is this the new point system for wiki edits?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Endogene

Hell this is overkill, i just got 80 points for nearly nothing....

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Now it's too much? -__-

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Endogene

It was fine the way it was in my opinion.
This seems a bit extreme.

Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Bartiemus

its alight im just wondering if all of our older submissions will get updated to reflect the new point system

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brukaoru

Okay, I just got 26 points for writing 3 sentences and a small blurb... Seems very excessive.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero
Bartiemus said:
"its alight im just wondering if all of our older submissions will get updated to reflect the new point system"
I highly doubt that. That would be too much work, I think.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Endogene
brukaoru said:
"  Okay, I just got 26 points for writing 3 sentences and a small blurb... Seems very excessive."
2 lines 20 points... this is madness... (madness? THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!)
(i cant keep myself from saying that)
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jayge_

Damn. That's a lot.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By brukaoru
Endogene said:
"brukaoru said:
"  Okay, I just got 26 points for writing 3 sentences and a small blurb... Seems very excessive."
2 lines 20 points... this is madness... (madness? THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!)
(i cant keep myself from saying that)"
Yeah, now I need to finish adding info in there but I feel like I'll be exploiting the system. :/

Here's a photo of what gave me 26 points:

26 points for this little bit? What?
AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AaronBelfast
Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bartiemus

This seems like one of those things that your dammed if your damned if your dont sort of thing people bitched before that you dont get enough now people are saying your getting to much make up your dam minds.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AaronBelfast
brukaoru said:

"
If that GeOW2 text was just submitted now, you would easily get 550-650 Wiki Points. Seems they didn't nail it properly.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By breton
brukaoru said:
"Here's a photo of what gave me 26 points:
I dunno. Compared to grabbing ten shots of a video game, attaching them to the main gallery, screenshots gallery, and platform gallery, then getting 30 points that way.. At least the page is a bit filled out now.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Endogene
breton said:
"brukaoru said:
"Here's a photo of what gave me 26 points:
I dunno. Compared to grabbing ten shots of a video game, attaching them to the main gallery, screenshots gallery, and platform gallery, then getting 30 points that way.. At least the page is a bit filled out now.
"
there is not supposed to be a main gallery actuallt but still wiki even if you do so wiki edit are far more worthfull now than image edit.
Which for uploading artwork is hell.

edit:

i got 10 points for the following

Bios

Origin
  • Marine Kingdom
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Endogene

it would not surprise me that tomorrow's top users all have over 2000 points.
I've raked up over 150 points just by adding some lines here and there...

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AaronBelfast
Endogene said:
"10 points

Bios

Origin
  • Marine Kingdom
"
Hyperinflation right here.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_

It looks like it might be 2 or 3 words per point now. I think 4 or 5 words per point would be fine.

But hey, if this is the way you guys think it should roll (Staff), I'm not complainin' :-P

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By breton

Well.. I guess it will have some side effects when adding small things like that. I mean.. you used get one point, at least, for just throwing a period into an article - put that into perspective.. the system has to give out some points. And as AaronBelfast said, the GoW2 page would be worth about 600 now.. if someone wrote up that whole thing by themselves - doesn't seem bad to me.

And as I said in the point suggestion topic.. people are looking at these numbers in the perspective of the 1000 and 5000 point barriers. If someone can get 600 points for one GoW2 article, then bump the barriers up. Now at least text contributions can compete with images.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Endogene
breton said:
"Well.. I guess it will have some side effects when adding small things like that. I mean.. you used get one point, at least, for just throwing a period into an article - put that into perspective.. the system has to give out some points. And as AaronBelfast said, the GoW2 page would be worth about 600 now.. if someone wrote up that whole thing by themselves - doesn't seem bad to me.

And as I said in the point suggestion topic.. people are looking at these numbers in the perspective of the 1000 and 5000 point barriers. If someone can get 600 points for one GoW2 article, then bump the barriers up. Now at least text contributions can compete with images.
"
they can perhaps compete with those who exploit the system by uploading tons of game play pictures but those who add concept art and some screenshots to an old game, or perhaps took the time to play a game and to take some screen shots themselves are way out of the competition.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By brukaoru
breton said:
"And as I said in the point suggestion topic.. people are looking at these numbers in the perspective of the 1000 and 5000 point barriers. If someone can get 600 points for one GoW2 article, then bump the barriers up. Now at least text contributions can compete with images."
I agree, the barriers should be lifted now to a higher number.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead

If the older submissions get updated this way and the 1,000 and 5,000 point boundaires go up accordingly, it'll just be a little bit of inflation that we can all adjust to.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vlademir

I agree, the new amount of points is a bit much even if it does help counter images.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By brukaoru

I just finished adding info to the page from earlier. I got a total of 277 points, wow...

HandsomeDead said:

"If the older submissions get updated this way and the 1,000 and 5,000 point boundaires go up accordingly, it'll just be a little bit of inflation that we can all adjust to."
I don't think they will be going back to inflate older submissions, which is kinda disheartening to the people who wrote a whole lot of info before. But if they did go back to fix them, then they should go back to fix the inflated count of some wiki articles due to that Microsoft Word bug... But I don't see that happening.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Gunner

QQ moar.

You tell then its too low so they raise it, now you tell them its too high. WTF?

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vlademir
Gunner said:
"QQ moar.

You tell then its too low so they raise it, now you tell them its too high. WTF?"
Well it's a bit much when you can get 20 points for fixing a spelling mistake.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Endogene
Gunner said:
"QQ moar.

You tell then its too low so they raise it, now you tell them its too high. WTF?"
check this out, the following i got 150 points for, tell me if you do not agree that it is not to high.

Music

Standard Music:

Waltz
  • "Nocturne"
  • ?
Tango
  • ?
  • ?
Slow Foxtrot
  • "When the saints go marching in"
  • ?
Quickstep
  • ?
  • ?
Viennese Waltz
  • ?
  • ?

Latin Music:

Rumba
  • ?
  • ?
Cha-Cha-Cha
  • ?
  • ?
Paso Doble
  • ?
  • ?
Jive
  • ?
  • ?
Samba
  • ?
  • ?
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By brukaoru

Holy crap... Bullet points are worth a ton!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Endogene
brukaoru said:
"Holy crap... Bullet points are worth a ton!"
i wonder how much that gears of war page would have been worth with this system, would not amaze me if it is over 1K
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HandsomeDead
brukaoru said:
"I just finished adding info to the page from earlier. I got a total of 277 points, wow...

HandsomeDead said:
"If the older submissions get updated this way and the 1,000 and 5,000 point boundaires go up accordingly, it'll just be a little bit of inflation that we can all adjust to."
I don't think they will be going back to inflate older submissions, which is kinda disheartening to the people who wrote a whole lot of info before. But if they did go back to fix them, then they should go back to fix the inflated count of some wiki articles due to that Microsoft Word bug... But I don't see that happening."
Aye. Call it selfish but for the effort I put into my Neo page, i'd like to see that reflected in the points and if they don't get fixed, then it won't be equal.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayge_
HandsomeDead said:
"Aye. Call it selfish but for the effort I put into my Neo page, i'd like to see that reflected in the points and if they don't get fixed, then it won't be equal."
Same. I take time on my work, and don't really do it for the points, but if it means getting closer to not having to wait for moderators, I would like something :-/
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Endogene
SuperMooseman said:
"Endogene said:
"Gunner said:
"QQ moar.

check this out, the following i got 150 points for, tell me if you do not agree that it is not to high.
The only thing I agree with at the moment is that you are trying to farm in the points. What is the point of putting bullet points followed by question marks? Who is that meant to serve? Who gains anything from that, except you (in the form of points)?"
I'm completing the princess debut page, and since im early game i have yet to unlock all the songs.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Endogene
SuperMooseman said:
"Endogene said:
"SuperMooseman said:
"Endogene said:
"Gunner said:
"QQ moar.

The only thing I agree with at the moment is that you are trying to farm in the points. What is the point of putting bullet points followed by question marks? Who is that meant to serve? Who gains anything from that, except you (in the form of points)?"
I'm completing the princess debut page, and since im early game i have yet to unlock all the songs."
Then don't fill it in yet. There is no rush. Oh wait, my mistake, it'll just help you gain more points if you do what you're doing."
Why the hell are you accusing me of point farming? I'm only editing the page and editing it in a way so that when i go back to editing it i'll can easely complete it or another user could add the song name if he knows it.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#34  Edited By LordAndrew

Normally such a thing would give him very few points. Now it gives way too many. They've increased it too much.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LordAndrew

I just wrote up a small article fragment (not even close to finishing) and got 53 points for it.
Based on the points-per-word value that I got from that article, the Gears of War 2 article would be worth 437 points. 873 if point are awarded per character.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Endogene
LordAndrew said:
"I just wrote up a small article fragment (not even close to finishing) and got 53 points for it.
Based on the points-per-word value that I got from that article, the Gears of War 2 article would be worth 437 points. 873 if point are awarded per character.
"
Its somewhat more complicated it seems.
I got 10 point for adding a one character word so my guess is that it is 10 points fore every line you write.

edit: wasnt it the gears of war 1 article that we should be comparing to?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LordAndrew

Points survey says Gears of War 2.

If the 10-per-line theory is applied to that page, I count 950 points. (I'm counting headings and image captions as lines)
That's even worse.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By brukaoru

I'm kinda with HandsomeDead on this one. It feels kinda lame to have past wiki submissions not be inflated, especially when I'm getting triple the amount of points on a new article with less info than previous wikis I've written.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Endogene
LordAndrew said:
"Points survey says Gears of War 2.

If the 10-per-line theory is applied to that page, I count 950 points. (I'm counting headings and image captions as lines)
That's even worse."
Think it is safe to say that they overdid it, would be nice if we could have coonce to join us or one of the mods who might have some more insight.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By kush

I have done only one page edit since this supposed change to the system. I do find that I have gotten more points, but they don't seem to be too much. I also don't think that past submissions should be inflated...that would just take too much time and it's not a big deal. The only reason to want that is if you're a point whore.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By StarFoxA

I think that this is much more balanced. Although I would like to see the new point values in my Final Fantasy VI page (go look at it! I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN SO MANY MORE POINTS!!!!!) :(

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LordAndrew

Increasing points retroactively would increase everyone's points, regardless of how they got them.
This is because there is not and has never been a separate point count for text edits and image uploads.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By StarFoxA
LordAndrew said:
"Increasing points retroactively would increase everyone's points, regardless of how they got them.
This is because there is not and has never been a separate point count for text edits and image uploads."
Yes, I know it's impossible, which is why I'm sad.
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Endogene said:
"It was fine the way it was in my opinion.
This seems a bit extreme."
I agree. Morons kept complaining about people who upload a bunch of images so they decided to make people get more points, making wiki points that much more useless which ironically enough is the one thing the idiot complainers wanted to avoid...
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StarFoxA
MasturbatingBear said:
"Endogene said:
"It was fine the way it was in my opinion.
This seems a bit extreme."
I agree. Morons kept complaining about people who upload a bunch of images so they decided to make people get more points, making wiki points that much more useless which ironically enough is the one thing the idiot complainers wanted to avoid..."
Aren't wiki points completely useless in the first place, and are just to measure the contribution to the site?
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Exactly, but in the beginning when you had a good amount it meant you contributed a lot. Now they are more worthless because you get way more for way less

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"Exactly, but in the beginning when you had a good amount it meant you contributed a lot. Now they are more worthless because you get way more for way less"
They were worthless already anyway. Now it's just easier for good writers or real information contributors to get ahead and not have to whore screenshots.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By StarFoxA
Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"Exactly, but in the beginning when you had a good amount it meant you contributed a lot. Now they are more worthless because you get way more for way less"
They were worthless already anyway. Now it's just easier for good writers or real information contributors to get ahead and not have to whore screenshots."
Which is perfect for me. :D
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
They were worthless already anyway. Now it's just easier for good writers or real information contributors to get ahead and not have to whore screenshots."
Whats the point of your post? you repeat what I said in the first sentence then say dumb shit. Who cares about whoreing screenshots. In the first month or so of the site the top point contributors had something going for them because they did the most contributions. Now someone can get to that mark without even half of the work. I dont care though cause like I said earlier. They were always pointless but now they are even more pointless/
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By BoG

Snatcher page: 200 points for typing the entire story a few months ago, 200 points for two paragraphcs today.