Does Harmonix's Dropmix deserve a wiki page?

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I wanted to add Dropmix to my GOTY list but it's not in the wiki. Its made by Harmonix.

If The Eye of Judgment has a page, I think Dropmix should.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No response from any mods?

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If you can’t get a mod response just add it to the wiki. The wiki mods will either approve it or not.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrBroel
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5 chaser324  Moderator

Admittedly, a mixed media thing like DropMix is pretty hard to categorize.

Personally, I agree with Marino's assessment that it's more of a board/card game. It does require an app and smartphone, but the cards are really what constitute the actual game.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: I think the game is very much in the mobile app and not the cards. Otherwise there would be no need for the expansions. Each 15 card deck that you buy is functionally identical in terms of what the cards "do". It's the interactions that happen in app that make the game worth playing.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surely if Nintendo's Nintendo Labo Robot Kit gets a game page, then Harmonix's Dropmix deserves one.

If Dropmix had been branded as a Playstation or Nintendo product, I don't think there would be any question that it would have a game page.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@drbroel: The app is maybe what makes it worth playing, but the cards themselves have a color/value on them and the board has color coded slots and that is what constitutes the actual game you're playing.

You could theoretically play without the app. It would be a bad generic card game in that scenario but you could do it.

Nintendo Labo isn't really a comparable situation in my opinion. It does have a physical component to it, but as in the case of the robot kit, the game is the robot avatar on the screen stomping around and the cardboard apparatus is really just a special input device.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrBroel

You can't play without the app. The cards themselves offer no rule set of what cards can be played at any given moment. The cards you play are only solutions to the "puzzle" the app presents you with. The app actually scans each players deck before the game starts to create the game. The would be no game without the app.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DrBroel

Im saying the cards in DropMix are your input device. The game is what is happening in application. Same as Labo. And if Nintendo made DropMix, there would be no debate. It would have a game page.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By 49th

It very clearly seemed like a game to me and if I searched for it I would expect to find info about it on a gaming website.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

It seems like more of a video game to me as well. I have not played it but it comes across as the cards/board are basically the input device used to play the video game. But maybe someone who has actually played it would know better.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@chaser324: Devil's Advocate but could you not say the exact same thing with The Eye of Judgment, which is totally playable without a PS3 as demonstrated via this Engadget article? And if so, does that mean Eye of Judgment should be deleted from the Wiki as it does not fit your definition of a video game?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I don't think the Nintendo Labo comparison works, but the Eye of Judgment comparison is a potentially compelling one. I'll confer with the other mods and maybe get some input from Jeff.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3