Info unrelated to games in Wiki articles?

• 56 results
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By hexogen

I've noticed that some pages about games tend to go into detail about things entirely unrelated to video games. To get a sense of what I'm talking about, take a look at the Pokémon franchise page. The article is well written and full of detail about the Pokémon video game franchise--until the giant list of Pokémon TV show episodes. I mean, I think it's perfectly fine to mention that the video game franchise expanded into a bunch of other types of media, but being that Giant Bomb is a website about video games, do you guys really want people to fill the wiki pages with a bunch of info about TV shows and the like?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

I figure it's okay to discuss the show to an extent. But that list of episodes is unnecessary, and doesn't add any information at all. I've gone ahead and removed it.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hexogen

The Naruto page also had a huge list of episodes on it, so I went ahead and removed those. Even without the episode list however, it's a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. It has a lot of information about the manga and the anime and whatnot, but hardly talks about video games at all. I would add something, but unfortunately I know nothing about Naruto.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Is it really hurting anything to have a list of episodes at the bottom of the franchise page for Naruto or Pokemon?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_
MB said:
"Is it really hurting anything to have a list of episodes at the bottom of the franchise page for Naruto or Pokemon?"
Needless clutter for things that don't flesh out anyone's understanding of the game's information is considered a neutral aspect of a page?
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MasturbatingBear
MB said:
"Is it really hurting anything to have a list of episodes at the bottom of the franchise page for Naruto or Pokemon?"

See? A moderator has no problem with it. what gives you the right to complain? theres nothing wrong with it seeing as its important information about pokemon or naruto.
Its like saying someone posting achievements should delete that text (well now i think thats a rule cause of guides) or that someone talking about a tournament scene for a game should delete that info. its important.
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hexogen
MasturbatingBear said:
"MB said:

See? A moderator has no problem with it. what gives you the right to complain? theres nothing wrong with it seeing as its important information about pokemon or naruto."
  When I come to Giant Bomb I expect to see information about video games, not TV shows or movies. A long list of TV show episodes is not useful information on a video game website and just clutters up the page.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By StarFoxA
MB said:
Well, a list of hundreds of episodes is completely unnecessary.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

Does it hurt anything to have the episode list on there?  If the episode list was at the bottom of the page in a clearly marked section, I just don't see the big problem with it.  This is especially true since there aren't exactly that many game franchises that also have related television shows.  I'm just not seeing the benefit of deleting the episode lists from franchise pages.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
MB said:
"Does it hurt anything to have the episode list on there?  If the episode list was at the bottom of the page in a clearly marked section, I just don't see the big problem with it.  This is especially true since there aren't exactly that many game franchises that also have related television shows.  I'm just not seeing the benefit of deleting the episode lists from franchise pages."
It cleans the page of a completely unnecessary list that could be exploited for points with every new episode, while the user contributes nothing to the game page itself and makes it harder for people to scroll down. Someone could always add something in under the list, and then it's just impractical to have to scroll through it. The benefits are nearly nonexistent, if there are any.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MasturbatingBear

its not exploited for points. its there for information to people who go to that page. the page is meant for fans of pokemon to read info about. If someone takes time to put IMPORTANT info up no need to complain. People always push things off as an exploit of the point system. just leave it alone. I have 2 guides published now. before I published them they were both sections on the page for the two games. then when guides came out i made those and deleted them off the page cause i made a guide. if no guide no need to complain.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hexogen

As this is a video game website, people come here looking for information about the Pokémon video games. A list of all the episode numbers and titles is not of any value to those people, as it has nothing to do with the Pokémon video games.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MasturbatingBear

well who says that fans of the game are for sure not fans of the show? i completely respect your opinion but actually deleting it is going a bit far I think. I think you should have waited for a mod or something to post about whats up before making a change that someone spent time on. I spent alot of time about advance techniques and the tourny scene around ssbm( I actually hate it but its something to write about for the game, the tourny scene i mean) and someone deleted it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"its not exploited for points. its there for information to people who go to that page. the page is meant for fans of pokemon to read info about. If someone takes time to put IMPORTANT info up no need to complain. People always push things off as an exploit of the point system. just leave it alone. I have 2 guides published now. before I published them they were both sections on the page for the two games. then when guides came out i made those and deleted them off the page cause i made a guide. if no guide no need to complain."
That was illogical as hell. There is no practical reason for a list of TV show episodes on a video game website. That's for a TV wiki, or Wikipedia, or any other site that deals with that stuff. It's stuff for a Pokemon Show fan to read about; not a Pokemon game fan.
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hexogen
MasturbatingBear said:
"well who says that fans of the game are for sure not fans of the show? i completely respect your opinion but actually deleting it is going a bit far I think. I think you should have waited for a mod or something to post about whats up before making a change that someone spent time on. I spent alot of time about advance techniques and the tourny scene around ssbm( I actually hate it but its something to write about for the game, the tourny scene i mean) and someone deleted it."

Yes, I should have waited for a response from the staff before going ahead and deleting it. Fair enough. I'll admit to that. But I still stand by my opinion that if someone is looking for information about the TV show they should not be looking for it on a video game related website.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew

And if they did want information on the show, a list of episode names won't help them much anyway. They still have to go elsewhere for episode synopses and such. Unless we're supposed to include all that too.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MasturbatingBear

yep. But the info is related to games. the t.v show listings are part of the pokemon franchise, so are the games, tv listings are all over whats the point in asking the staff to make a section on each page for tv listings (of course only for shows with t.v series) or comic books or manga or whatever. theres no point in bothering them to make a different section but just keep them on the page.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hexogen

Once again, it all comes back to the fact that this is a video game website. I think the wiki section of a video game website should focus solely on, well, video games. Just because some franchises cover multiple types of media doesn't mean that Giant Bomb should cover every aspect of that franchise. If people want information on the entire Pokémon franchise they should go to a site dedicated to that kind of stuff, like Serebii.net or Bulbapedia. They should not be looking for these things on a video game website.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Hexogen said:
"Once again, it all comes back to the fact that this is a video game website. I think the wiki section of a video game website should focus solely on, well, video games. Just because some franchises cover multiple types of media doesn't mean that Giant Bomb should cover every aspect of that franchise. If people want information on the entire Pokémon franchise they should go to a site dedicated to that kind of stuff, like Serebii.net or Bulbapedia. They should not be looking for these things on a video game website."

again thats all up to the mods. It should cover every aspect of a franchise if that franchise is a videogame franchise. this site is a database meant to inform people about things in the world of videogames. why shouldn't they be looking for these things on a video game website? also who's to say these people are? i don't go to a page looking for a specific thing but to see what its got. If i cared a lot about pokemon (which I kind of do, the games i mean) the more i can learn from this site the better.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
Hexogen said:
"Once again, it all comes back to the fact that this is a video game website. I think the wiki section of a video game website should focus solely on, well, video games. Just because some franchises cover multiple types of media doesn't mean that Giant Bomb should cover every aspect of that franchise. If people want information on the entire Pokémon franchise they should go to a site dedicated to that kind of stuff, like Serebii.net or Bulbapedia. They should not be looking for these things on a video game website."
Exactly. That stuff doesn't belong here.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Now i am not trying to personally attack anyone like jayge is but I think that when its on the Pokemon Franchise page its okay to make a list of episodes. Talking about all forms of the franchise is okay. Like the pages for characters from homestarrunner.com. They talk about games they are in but also mention things like toons from the show or sbemails. if someone started doing tv listings on seperate games for pokemon or other things Id say thats a dirtbag move. This is meant to tell you all you need to know about the franchise.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hexogen
MasturbatingBear said:
"again thats all up to the mods. "

It's up to the staff, which is why I made this thread in the first place. I'm hoping to get an official response, but I know they're busy so that may take a while, or it may not happen at all. In the meantime I'm just presenting my side of the argument.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MasturbatingBear

of course my bad. I do mean its up tot he staff. but the staff has already decided so.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hexogen
MasturbatingBear said:
"of course my bad. I do mean its up tot he staff. but the staff has already decided so."

Then would you mind showing me exactly where they said that you may cover non-video game related topics on the franchise page? I've done a few searches, and I haven't seen them say anything for or against it. So no, I wouldn't say that have already decided.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MasturbatingBear

well id say the fact that you are at a franchise page and you see info not necesarily bout just games and its still there. that kind of proves my point about how its such an immature complaint. I just want to know, why do you care about this and what do you think gives you the right to complain about something that belongs on the pages.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_

I am personally attacking nobody. Homestarrunner.com is dedicated specifically to HomeStar Runner and the rest of the cast of that franchise, this is dedicated solely to video-games.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By StarFoxA
MasturbatingBear said:
"well id say the fact that you are at a franchise page and you see info not necesarily bout just games and its still there. that kind of proves my point about how its such an immature complaint. I just want to know, why do you care about this and what do you think gives you the right to complain about something that belongs on the pages."
Well, a section explaining the basic premise of the TV series, I think, would be reasonable. But a section listing every single episode in the series is unnecessary, and seems a lot like someone who just wants to get more points.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MasturbatingBear

im talking about pages about homestarrunner.com talking about the toons and stuff like that.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"im talking about pages about homestarrunner.com talking about the toons and stuff like that."
Examples, please?
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"im talking about pages about homestarrunner.com talking about the toons and stuff like that."
Examples, please?"
check the franchise page.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
Examples, please?"
check the franchise page.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By breton
MasturbatingBear said:
"check the franchise page."
You just added that.
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hexogen
MasturbatingBear said:
"well id say the fact that you are at a franchise page and you see info not necesarily bout just games and its still there. that kind of proves my point about how its such an immature complaint. I just want to know, why do you care about this and what do you think gives you the right to complain about something that belongs on the pages."

There are also many poorly written pages that are still there. It's a user edited website. Just because something is there does not mean it's automatically acceptable. I care about this because I want Giant Bomb to be the best resource for all things video games, and I don't think cluttering the pages with information about TV shows and movies and comics and the like is the best way to get there.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayge_

Disregarding the fact that the franchise page appears to have been altered recently, and written absolutely terribly, that info says nothing of the franchise itself, and needs to be re-done.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MasturbatingBear
breton said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
You just added that.
"
I did to make a point. anyone can do that. If you have a problem with something thats already been solved dont complain. and? was it irrelevant? no it has to do about the franchise.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"breton said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
You just added that.
"
I did to make a point. anyone can do that. If you have a problem with something thats already been solved dont complain. and? was it irrelevant? no it has to do about the franchise."
That was nearly incoherent. What point were you making?
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"breton said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
You just added that.
"
I did to make a point. anyone can do that. If you have a problem with something thats already been solved dont complain. and? was it irrelevant? no it has to do about the franchise."
That was nearly incoherent. What point were you making?"

well for someone with a basic grasp of english you could have read it on the actual page or read my last post. anyone can do that and it wasnt irrelevant. it was very important. This topic is just another thing of people complaining about how other people are gaining points. Points dont matter so stop complaining people.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"breton said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
You just added that.
"

well for someone with a basic grasp of english you could have read it on the actual page or read my last post. anyone can do that and it wasnt irrelevant. it was very important. This topic is just another thing of people complaining about how other people are gaining points. Points dont matter so stop complaining people."
You definitely don't grasp the point of this topic, as it is not about points. You also didn't get the point of my post, making the above response and attempted insult void. Control yourself.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"breton said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
You just added that.
"

well for someone with a basic grasp of english you could have read it on the actual page or read my last post. anyone can do that and it wasnt irrelevant. it was very important. This topic is just another thing of people complaining about how other people are gaining points. Points dont matter so stop complaining people."
You definitely don't grasp the point of this topic, as it is not about points. You also didn't get the point of my post, making the above response and attempted insult void. Control yourself."

again its all about grasp of english no one said its about points. again your not answering my question. the answer is. it is relevant to the franchise talking about the non game aspects of it to give background info. But now you mention points i change my mind. You are right. this guy did just make this to complain about people getting lots of points. thanks!
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By breton
MasturbatingBear said:
"I did to make a point. anyone can do that. If you have a problem with something thats already been solved dont complain."
You edited an article in question so it would support your side. Before it was edited, it was simply the blurb that stated "Games based around the popular internet cartoon Homestar Runner". If you want to discuss a games origins, or what it has branched off too.. then fine. But the page is about the game franchise. Not the franchise in whole. Homestar Runner obviously relates directly to the internet cartoon, but as a video game wiki, we don't need to catalogue a summary and listing of every cartoon ever produced. We need to catalague it's video game history. And as a video game, it related to the cartoon. So there is something to be said about the cartoon, but theres no reason to go in depth about it.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"again its all about grasp of english no one said its about points. "
MasturbatingBear said:
"This topic is just another thing of people complaining about how other people are gaining points. Points dont matter so stop complaining people."
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MasturbatingBear
breton said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"I did to make a point. anyone can do that. If you have a problem with something thats already been solved dont complain."
You edited an article in question so it would support your side. Before it was edited, it was simply the blurb that stated "Games based around the popular internet cartoon Homestar Runner". If you want to discuss a games origins, or what it has branched off too.. then fine. But the page is about the game franchise. Not the franchise in whole. Homestar Runner obviously relates directly to the internet cartoon, but as a video game wiki, we don't need to catalogue a summary and listing of every cartoon ever produced. We need to catalague it's video game history. And as a video game, it related to the cartoon. So there is something to be said about the cartoon, but theres no reason to go in depth about it.
"
I agree that its not necessary. Im saying if someone wants to put it who is he to complain about information that is still relevant to the topic? by the way the thing about points was a joke... in case you couldn't tell. Im not trying to start a whole fight here im just stating my opinion
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By breton
MasturbatingBear said:
"I agree that its not necessary. Im saying if someone wants to put it who is he to complain about information that is still relevant to the topic? by the way the thing about points was a joke... in case you couldn't tell. Im not trying to start a whole fight here im just stating my opinion"
GiantBomb is a community driven website. While the staff ultimately makes the final decision, I'd hate to think the user base has no say in what should be here. That's who he is to complain about it.

And you just agreed to it being unnecessary. Why are you defending it? The pokemon TV show is relevant, and should certainly be mentioned. But we don't need a complete episode listing.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I said its not necesary as in its not on the highest level of importance. I mean a page can go without a list of stuff like that but if someone is willing to take the time to do that then why complain? just trying to learn something to the peoples amirite?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"I said its not necesary as in its not on the highest level of importance. I mean a page can go without a list of stuff like that but if someone is willing to take the time to do that then why complain? just trying to learn something to the peoples amirite?"
Take the time? It's a copy-and-paste list. Nobody would bother taking the time to type something like that out.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By TwoOneFive

would you delete information about the movie a game may have been based upon? like for instance escape from butcher bay, it should have info relating to pitch black and chronicles of riddick because of the plot

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hexogen
breton said:
"And you just agreed to it being unnecessary. Why are you defending it? The pokemon TV show is relevant, and should certainly be mentioned. But we don't need a complete episode listing."

This is exactly what I've been trying to get across from the beginning. A paragraph or two mentioning other forms of media that the franchise may branch off to is fine with me, but I think we should try to stay away from going too in depth into things that aren't video game related.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jayge_
TwoOneFive said:
"would you delete information about the movie a game may have been based upon? like for instance escape from butcher bay, it should have info relating to pitch black and chronicles of riddick because of the plot"
Backstory goes in the plot section. That's entirely different.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Jayge said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"I said its not necesary as in its not on the highest level of importance. I mean a page can go without a list of stuff like that but if someone is willing to take the time to do that then why complain? just trying to learn something to the peoples amirite?"
Take the time? It's a copy-and-paste list. Nobody would bother taking the time to type something like that out."
Was it really a copy and paste list? if so why not state that? if so then I got no problem with him deleting it and i would give him the thumbs up to go and delete it. Why wouldnt he mention it? copy and pasted stuff isnt even allowed
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By breton
MasturbatingBear said:
"Was it really a copy and paste list? if so why not state that?
Because it's a god damn episode listing. How the fuck are we to know whether he copy pasted it. Whether he did or not is irrelevant. We don't need the majority of a video game article to be about the TV show.